• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

igRossMcIntosh said:
You're not invulnerable while lagged out, and you can't move either.

I'm sorry, but this is pretty wrong. I realize you're obviously a dev for the game, but I've been in two games with the SAME guy intentionally lagging. One time he was doing it from the start. The next game he tried to play straight and about halfway through he was magically teleporting all over the place.

He wasn't invulnerable though... just REALLY hard to hit. He made it easier on us by trying to do nothing but melee :lol

He was certainly moving around though.

Maybe the intention is for them to get the "disconnect" status but it isn't happening from what I've seen (or at least in a few cases it isn't happening).

Firewire

Banned
igRossMcIntosh said:
You're not invulnerable while lagged out, and you can't move either.
Umm they are pretty much impossible to kill, you might get lucky with a grenade if you make a lucky guess in throwing it by distance and direction. And they can move very easily while switching.

Rolf NB

I've had the "you're lagged out lol" icon appear a couple of times, and it didn't seem to give me an advantage. Au contrair, ma chere, because both times I died quickly thereafter from general bullet sponginess (in the groin area).
That's not to say that technically enhanced super-lag can't bring in benefits. Just confirming that honest, natural, good old lag is not desirable.

I played with a dude who would just stand in front of me while I poured clip after clip hoping to at least get one XP from it. Needless to say, after about a minute of those shenanigans, he melee'd me for the K.O. :lol

Firewire

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
So I am fricken pissed.

I have gone through every setting on my router.
I have enabled the PS3 to be a DMZ so theoretically it should have no connection problems
at all from the router. I have tested every multiplayer game I have they all work perfectly
except for R2. I dont want to buy the game and not be able to get online.
Have you opened up all the necessary ports?

Septimus

Anyone have an extra code? The Beta application form still won't take my email address and the EB where I preordered is pretty clueless.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously, how did I miss this? All this time I've been killing people non-stop and there was something that was odd.

Oh yeah, there's fucking gibbing in this game, totally forgot that the original didn't have it :lol

I love throwing a hedgehog grenade right in the center of a huge enemy group.

SPLASH!

GodofWine

I really do not like 'normal damage' much..way to hard to take a person down IMO.

High damage feels perfect..and should be 'normal'...and then 'high' could be damned near one hit (but not quite)

(back to watching the Phillies..GO PHILS!)

Guled

GodofWine said:
I really do not like 'normal damage' much..way to hard to take a person down IMO.

High damage feels perfect..and should be 'normal'...and then 'high' could be damned near one hit (but not quite)

(back to watching the Phillies..GO PHILS!)
The damage now feels good to me. With a ton of people around people go down quick since multiple people are shooting at them. Also, one on one encounters seem more epic since its not just who saw who first.

Firewire

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
He's using DMZ, all ports are open then.
lol, I missed that!

Seiken: Kittonwy is doing game battle right now....and I'm gonna join him for teh RAWR!
Send me a friend invite if u want in.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Firewire said:
lol, I missed that!

Seiken: Kittonwy is doing game battle right now....and I'm gonna join him for teh RAWR!
Send me a friend invite if u want in.
YES! YES! PSN name?

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I can't right now, sorry :(

Firewire

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
I'll join you guys too. :) Let's get a nice little party going.
meeting up latter, kitt wants to finish up dead space and we are waiting on others! have u on my friends list, I'll let u know when we start up!

Guled said:
The damage now feels good to me. With a ton of people around people go down quick since multiple people are shooting at them. Also, one on one encounters seem more epic since its not just who saw who first.

I agree with this. I love the one on ones. Takes a fair bit to kill them but it is 'epic' :D I mostly played 1 hit on FoM, but this does fell nice.

No way should it take 3 shotgun blasts to drop someone though, and this from pretty close range. R2 fire kills in one more often than not though.

Also eventually figured out the splicer's R2 fire, and it's damn awesome. Surprised so few people use it.

The Splicer seems a bit broken on Chicago (Subway). Often you'll find the entire opposing team with splicers, sitting off to the side on the top level. In the narrow corridors the blades pretty much become an all-encompassing heat-seeking missile. It's soooo annoying. And I swear it seems as if they're coming through the walls on occasion. Anyway, I just find it really cheap :lol

Team balancing for ranked games in the final build, yes or no? Like too many other FPSes, it gets annoying when half your team drops in the middle of a round and the next one remains 6v2 or something.

Coop is absolute action. But too much idiots running around not understanding when to supply freakin' ammo!

Deathmatch is fun as well but spawn kills are freaking bad. They piss me off.

Just saw a commercial for this on SPIKE.

Holy fuck...

My dance card for the holidays is COMPLETELY full and there's no way I can pick it up in 2008. With that said; Insomniac...spec-fuckin'-tacular work.

jett

D-Member
I find the co-op missions in the R2 beta to be insanely difficult, to the point of not being fun at all, to be honest..

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
I find the co-op missions in the R2 beta to be insanely difficult, to the point of not being fun at all, to be honest..
I don't think it's actually hard, it's just obnoxiously time consuming. Is it really justifiable to make an enemy so resilient to attack? With the forcefields you're basically invincible, so you just have to stand there shooting for extended periods of time. I don't think it's making it more fun, it just seems like it's artificially delaying your progression and holding you in the environment. I found myself moving into danger just because standing still shooting was starting to lose my interest.

The competitive multiplayer is the exact opposite, as appose to the encounters taking far too long, they last far too short. It's literally a second a shootout. This is a matter of taste, I personally prefer the COD4 style combat length, that's much more engrossing I think.

Overall though, I'm very impressed with what I've played so far, I thought the original was really generic, but this is definitely a big step in the right direction. I'd still take issue with much of the aesthetics, and design choices. But it's still very fun, and I could see the co-op being a lot of fun with friends. It's shaping up very well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
jett said:

play with people who know what they are doing and take their role on the team

jett said:

how many people did u play it with? cause i tried with 2 and we got our asses handed to us, but with 8 it was way too easy. the bosses took like 10-15 mins to kill with 2 but with a full 8 we breezed all the titans in about a minute. i wish it would scale difficulty better(does it scale?)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
jett said:
Its too easy at points...there is only one part where I never had past but the rest of it was easy once you get a group.

G-Bus

Banned
Co-op is fun. Be it a little boring at times (boss fights) and incredibly frustrating when the people on your team don't use they're classes properly. Competitive I'm starting to turn around on and really enjoying.. that is when I'm not being team killed. Don't think I've ever been TKed this much in a game before.

Can't wait to get out of Orick, really starting to hate that map in co-op.

Ploid 3.0 said:
You know what would be awesome? If at the last level in co-op everyone beat it, and find out they have to kill each other!
LMFAO.

"But, dude... I gave you ammo so many times!!"

"I revived you! The medic giveth and medic taketh damn it!"

:lol :lol :lol

Ploid 3.0

RJNavarrete said:
LMFAO.

"But, dude... I gave you ammo so many times!!"

"I revived you! The medic giveth and medic taketh damn it!"

:lol :lol :lol

:lol

It would be a interesting fight. The Soldiers would probably be at a disadvantage unless they ally with a spec-ops. Then people will gun for that spec op. Medics would wait until people are good and bloody to start fighting. A lone wolf spec op will pick people off from a distance. A lone soldier will probably sacrifice himself by blowing a few people up with him.

I'm getting really fucking tired of stats not working. A Resistance trademark!

Blah Beta Blah

They have a history of this. I think the little things like this is where a one year dev cycle hurts you bad.

I'm still having a blast though.

Somnia

So for those of you who did not like the R2 commercial I must say that it is working. Today at work I had a guy and his girlfriend come in and ask me about a game he saw on tv but he couldnt think of the name and started trying to explain it. He remembered the line about blocking out the sun because of 300 and it clicked it was R2. He asked me about the game,etc. and I told him all about it. He ended up buying a 80gb ps3, an extra dual shock, resistance 1, uncharted, fully paid off R2 and LBP (for his girlfriend he said after I showed them videos and talked to him about it).

I also had 2 other people talk to me today about it wondering what it was. So the ad is definantly working...as is the Motorstorm 2 ad because we had a couple pre-orders on it today too from people who saw the commercial. So it looks like Sony finally advertising shit might work...who woulda thought :lol

Ploid 3.0

Somnia said:
So for those of you who did not like the R2 commercial I must say that it is working. Today at work I had a guy and his girlfriend come in and ask me about a game he saw on tv but he couldnt think of the name and started trying to explain it. He remembered the line about blocking out the sun because of 300 and it clicked it was R2. He asked me about the game,etc. and I told him all about it. He ended up buying a 80gb ps3, an extra dual shock, resistance 1, uncharted, fully paid off R2 and LBP (for his girlfriend he said after I showed them videos and talked to him about it).

I also had 2 other people talk to me today about it wondering what it was. So the ad is definantly working...as is the Motorstorm 2 ad because we had a couple pre-orders on it today too from people who saw the commercial. So it looks like Sony finally advertising shit might work...who woulda thought :lol

Yea if a ad makes people talk about it, it's a successful ad. Reminds me of Madmen Lemon Volts Wagon episode. And wow at the guy that bought all that stuff.

Did you guys have LBP in and sold it to them, or just a preorder? D:

Somnia

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yea if a ad makes people talk about it, it's a successful ad. Reminds me of Madmen Lemon Volts Wagon episode. And wow at the guy that bought all that stuff.

Did you guys have LBP in and sold it to them, or just a preorder? D:

Just a pre-order =( we won't have it in till after 5pm on Monday.

The guy has been meaning to upgrade to a ps3 soon anyways so this just kinda tilted him into getting it sooner. He didn't plan to buy as much as he did though, but I talked him into Uncharted, LBP and going somewhere else online to get an HDMI cable (dont tell my boss!) :lol

Rolf NB

Somnia said:
Just a pre-order =( we won't have it in till after 5pm on Monday.

The guy has been meaning to upgrade to a ps3 soon anyways so this just kinda tilted him into getting it sooner. He didn't plan to buy as much as he did though, but I talked him into Uncharted, LBP and going somewhere else online to get an HDMI cable (dont tell my boss!) :lol
Uh-oh. I sense a "WTF do you mean it's not supposed to play PS2 games" conversation coming to you in the near future.

Top Bottom