• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
People liked it obviously. Should have been left in.

People liked the fact you could be braindead and still get kills by spamming your weapon into thin air. People always like when they don't have to do anything to get results. Make a room without 1 hit kill? It'll be empty for hours.

As long as there are some finely tuned ranked games, I couldn't care less what crazy nonsense people are playing in unranked. What's the problem here?

Ploid 3.0

That 1 hit kill thing really screwed with my mind when I first started Resistance. On one hand I was taking a while to kill people, and another game I was getting shot by the same weapon and dropped like a fly. I could have looked at the game modes, but I didn't know where to spot it (small text or something). Yes random games and not GAF parties.

RockmanWhore said:
As long as there are some finely tuned ranked games, I couldn't care less what crazy nonsense people are playing in unranked. What's the problem here?

Getting in warmups before ranked games is always nice. And your squad/friends aren't always on. Playing ranked games with random people = lol. Also, sometimes, you just want to play a certain map and a certain gametype without the randomness.

oneHeero

Jstevenson, will there be coolored games in the retail version?
Like games highlighted green when friends are there and blue when clan members are there.

That was so good about R1 and I hope to god its there or will be implemented. I hate not knowing what games friends are in.

Ploid 3.0

oneHeero said:
Jstevenson, will there be coolored games in the retail version?
Like games highlighted green when friends are there and blue when clan members are there.

That was so good about R1 and I hope to god its there or will be implemented. I hate not knowing what games friends are in.

You'd be able to see which game both group of people are in even if the color codes aren't there. The coloring would just be a bit of a bonus.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
PLEASE GOD NO. Please, Insomniac, WHATEVER YOU DO, do not add a "1 hit kill" option. It was disappointing it was in the first one, and left in, even after 99.999999999999% of every unranked game was 1 hit kill/infinite ammo.

I can confirm that 1 hit kill is in the final game as an unlockable option (I guess that's all i should confirm? :p).
That said, it looks fucking amazing! It's not called "1 hit kill". It has some other name related to the ammo/bullet if im correct. When the bullets hits the enemy, the impact from the bullet will make their bodies tear apart like it's an anime or something.
I loved it, you shall too :D

EDIT: Should mention that this is for single player experience. I don't know about it for multiplayer experience. :)

teiresias

got my code for the beta in my email today. Woohoo. Gonna play this and some Silent Hill tonight. Have to read through this topic for some tips first though. I could never get into the R1 ilonline game - seemed too spastic and fast to me. Is R2 any different in this regard? I need some more PSN friends though. Haha. My PSN is Teiresias.

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
People liked it obviously. Should have been left in.

No ...

Just no. It made the unranked games spawn kill frag fest messes. It totally takes away the point of having multiple balanced weapons. It's just horrible.

SSJChar

on an irc channel last night like everyone who had a ps3 got in the R2 beta... but me. it was one of those "… stop lying to me!" moments because i just assumed they were all pulling my leg. nope, they all got it. i signed up last night again, hopefully this'll get me in.

I think you should have the option of 1 hit and infinite ammo. We didn't always use them but it was really fun some time to play a 40mm only match or infinite grenade (best match). It's unranked so it doesn't matter how many times you die, the stats are pointless and its fun.

shagg_187 said:
I can confirm that 1 hit kill is in the final game as an unlockable option (I guess that's all i should confirm? :p).
That said, it looks fucking amazing! It's not called "1 hit kill". It has some other name related to the ammo/bullet if im correct. When the bullets hits the enemy, the impact from the bullet will make their bodies tear apart like it's an anime or something.
I loved it, you shall too :D

ooooh instagib! this sounds awesome. glad they upped the gore-o-meter in this one.

BobTheFork said:
I think you should have the option of 1 hit and infinite ammo. We didn't always use them but it was really fun some time to play a 40mm only match or infinite grenade (best match). It's unranked so it doesn't matter how many times you die, the stats are pointless and its fun.

If my only choice to play an unranked game becomes 1 hit kill frag fests again I'm going to scream.

Fenderputty said:
If my only choice to play an unranked game becomes 1 hit kill frag fests again I'm going to scream.
well you can always start your own game without 1 hit kills. I played plenty of unranked matches in games without it, but most of them were for-fun clan matches with other teams.

Dante

Did the titans used to grab at their back-pack before blowing up? I don't remember that before that patch. Maybe I just didn't notice before. Co-op is sooooo awesome when you got yourself a good team.

Jeseus

tfur said:
It seems to be a line of sight thing... The boss sees a member of your team before you get to that section. I actually saw someone intentionally hanging out in the lower valley area, while we went forward to the boss area. This seemed to cause the boss turn like this... It stopped after he came into the boss arena.

If everyone gets into that section before the boss sees you, he attacks and goes all over the place.

All of the AI has gotten much more aggressive and faster, and seems like they inflict more damage now... either that or the difficulty level is scaling with the team members level.

nope.. the boss goes to the teleport right then he just turn left to melee a member and stuck between the tree and wall, just walked,walked,walked,walked into the wall after a few minutes the rest of us killed him ... the member lower just melee the boss ... you are right the AI is more aggressive but sometimes dumb and stuck between objects like this boss

SSJChar

Just wondering, but has anyone from Canada gotten an invite? i'm thinking that MAYBE its for americans only. If it is for americans only, does anyone have an extra key for a canadian? eh?

Rolf NB

Bosses definitely have too much hp. I get that itt's a consistency challenge. "Can you keep doing this for ten minutes?" Honestly, if a team can do it for three minutes, it obviously can also do it for ten minutes, or for fifteen minutes. It's not interesting to keep doing that one encounter for so long. Three minutes is proof enough that the party makeup functions.

Another thing I'd like to ask for is a doorway or some other direct kind of connection between the "two titans on the roofs" area and the entryway to the "hellfire cannon" area. They are adjacent, but separated with a high wall. In every single match I've seen players run up the stairs and get blown over the wall by blasts from the titan's cannon. It takes a minute or so to run back all the way around, and that only draws out the fight longer.

SSJChar said:
Just wondering, but has anyone from Canada gotten an invite? i'm thinking that MAYBE its for americans only. If it is for americans only, does anyone have an extra key for a canadian? eh?

I'm from Canada and got a beta invite for R2. I'm not at home to try it but i'm hoping it works.

Big-E

Just got a code now for just being an underground member. Played for a minute briefly before having to get ready to go out and so far I do like the speed increase but still, I don't know how I feel about the game from a competitive stand point.

Rolf NB

Dante said:
Did the titans used to grab at their back-pack before blowing up? I don't remember that before that patch. Maybe I just didn't notice before. Co-op is sooooo awesome when you got yourself a good team.
Hear hear. I think I've had my fill for today. The last match was just three of us, a spec ops, a medic, and I thought I'd fill in for soldier. After clearing the first house, I ran out of ammo completely. The spec ops stood directly beside me for two fucking minutes without noticing the orange indicator above my head, not to mention the fact that I wasn't attacking anything and we weren't going anywhere at all. When it's more effective to suicide and respawn than to count on your team, you know you're in a bad match.

I think I know why I like medic: it's the only self-sufficient class. You don't need ammo to attack and you absorb/regenerate health. Functions in a team of hillbillies just as well as in a good one.

BobTheFork said:
well you can always start your own game without 1 hit kills. I played plenty of unranked matches in games without it, but most of them were for-fun clan matches with other teams.

That's the problem, it's almost like the community was polarized into two categories. If you like one hit kills, you literally took over the unranked games. People didn't want to join unranked games if they didn't have 1 hit kills on. The only time I ever played unranked games that didn't have one hit kills, was when my clan was on and practicing. Those games are almost always locked too. Other than that, if no one I knew was on, I was forced to play ranked because of this polarization.

oneHeero

Ploid 3.0 said:
You'd be able to see which game both group of people are in even if the color codes aren't there. The coloring would just be a bit of a bonus.
Is that there now in the beta? Or just retail? If so how does it work?

tfur

Jeseus said:
nope.. the boss goes to the teleport right then he just turn left to melee a member and stuck between the tree and wall, just walked,walked,walked,walked into the wall after a few minutes the rest of us killed him ... the member lower just melee the boss ... you are right the AI is more aggressive but sometimes dumb and stuck between objects like this boss

I am not saying it doesn't happen, I am giving a possible reason. It may be when someone gets killed right next to the wall, and respawns in the wrong location.

I played that section twice last night. The first time, the boss was all over the place, flipping up dead enemy corpses everywhere, and killing almost everyone. The second time the boss got stuck for about 1/10 of the time, and I noticed the player outside the area. After he was unstuck it was back to mayhem.

Hmm, GameStop is blowing it, of course. Got my Qore code but no GameStop code (normally wouldn't care, but I would like to give it to a friend who is on the fence).

Enjoyed the game a little more during competitive MP. I swear, though, I haven't played a more boring shooter co-op in the online co-op. Just stand there as a soldier, button held down, surfing the Internet while it takes 4 minutes to put down a braindead "boss." :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
NeoGAF co-op room up if anyone's interested.

"NeoGAF Ex+Alpha"

Actually: it may be called "industrian". I dunno.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TheMissingLink said:
Enjoyed the game a little more during competitive MP. I swear, though, I haven't played a more boring shooter co-op in the online co-op. Just stand there as a soldier, button held down, surfing the Internet while it takes 4 minutes to put down a braindead "boss." :lol

Guess you aren't a tank. Try a different class that suits your playing style. Some people (I'm looking at Mr. Intihar sitting behind me here), looooove playing a soldier.

Loudninja

jstevenson can you help me out here? I tried downloading the code i got fro PSU twice, but when it reach 90% it juts stops and says "pending"

BobTheFork said:

This totally true. Dunno why they'd limit options.

I personally thought that 1 hit, Hanger, sniper only DM was a fuck load of fun. Often played round after round of it.
1 hit was also good for CTF sometimes.

For both these your (not Bob) arguments hold no weight. How can you kill by spamming bullets with a sniper? In CTF everyone spaws at base.

People had fun with it, came up with their own game modes. 40mm as Bob states, melee only, grenades only, hanger/sniper match. Why limit gameplay possibilities?

Nobody is forcing you to play these (and it's not true that 99% were 1 hit), and I think that if 1 hit was removed because some sad cunts padded their stats playing 1 hit TDM, then that's lame.

Top Bottom