• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

pj

Banned
co-op is fun, although it's just a mmo-influenced time waster. competitive multiplayer is still janky as hell, and the sound in general is bad.

oneHeero

I think the bullseye is fine. Glad I wont be getting tagged by people who cant aim :D I can tag people easier after some practice, but I'm very happy they made it difficult to tag people and limited the tags. I love that. And Shotgun is still lethal, its just lethal up close not from 10 feet away like before.

I'm enjoying them all.

Carbine is a fucken beast.

Guymelef

pj325is said:
co-op is fun, although it's just a mmo-influenced time waster. competitive multiplayer is still janky as hell, and the sound in general is bad.

The game needs cooperative campaign mode :( ...

jmonteiro

AndyD said:
It does. Just not in the beta.

I'm pretty sure the coop campaign mode is the same we have in the beta (with many more levels/briefings of course).

If seems a lot of people dislike the coop but I love it. Probably one of the best gaming experiences I had in months. Pure awesomeness :D :D Anyone that dislikes the coop should try to play with an organized group of friends, I think that may make a big difference on how you enjoy the experience. I hated coop when I hoped into a random coop group for the first time, but when I got 5 of my buddies in there it was a blast.

jjasper

jmonteiro said:
I'm pretty sure the coop campaign mode is the same we have in the beta (with many more levels/briefings of course).

If seems a lot of people dislike the coop but I love it. Probably one of the best gaming experiences I had in months. Pure awesomeness :D :D Anyone that dislikes the coop should try to play with an organized group of friends, I think that may make a big difference on how you enjoy the experience. I hated coop when I hoped into a random coop group for the first time, but when I got 5 of my buddies in there it was a blast.

I think people have been pretty positive about the coop just some of us wish the big bosses at the end were a little smarter.

Ploid 3.0

Why does it need co-op main story single player mode? Is it the same reason Dead Space, Bioshock, and half-life needed co-op?

andycapps

After spending more time with this beta yesterday, I can say that I am very excited for the full game to come out. The co-op is very good, particularly when everyone is working together. Yes, the bosses are sometimes just bullet sponges and take a while to take down. But I have seen them take out several people before. I think a large issue of that is balancing them, and I'm fairly confident that can be patched.

While I didn't spend much time with competitive multiplayer, the little bit that I played of 40 player team deathmatch in Chicago was amazing. I love the verticality of the maps, all the different air vents, etc. And I do see where some complaints of the GAF clan came from in that the carbine and bullseye (my previous favorite weapon) have changed quite a bit. A lot of that is for the better, IMO. The carbine was way too accurate before and had no recoil. For that matter, none of the guns had much recoil at all, which made them very accurate. Now it seems like the recoil is a lot more realistic, and I like the feel of the weapons. Carbine will probably be my gun for this game, although the Auger and Marksman show promise for me.

Guymelef

m
Please Steven answer this

Does this statement “We are happy to announce that Resistance 2 will feature 2-player split-screen play for both competitive play” mean that it will have splitscreen co-op like Resistance Fall of Man campaign? going through the single player campaign but with 2 players?

James Stevenson replied on October 17, 2008 at 1:52 pm

No, the campaign is for one-player only.

Just got in the beta, haven't had a chance to play yet. I think I'll buy the game just for the online, especially co-op. Single player in the first game freaked me out- too intense. The co-op mode isn't gimped, right? It's pretty fleshed out and close in content to the single player, no?

jjasper said:
I agree about the bullseye. It and the shotgun feel much worse than R1. But yeah you had limited tags in R1.

Yep. Agree about the shotgun as well. 3 close range shots to kill someone, even when Damage is set to high! That's just weird.
I was using the shotgun for a few rounds. Basically you need to use the R2 function, I found using R1 to shoot utterly pointless because by the time you've fired two shotguns blasts you're well dead.
I did get a lot of kills (most in the game actually, it was capture the core) but I basically used R2 the whole time, and that equals a lot of reloading (which I don't mind really), but having R1 fire useless is rather weird.

Core mode is pretty good. I set up a Capture the Core mode on Chicago subway, 20p,w ith high damage and 5 captures. 20 people joined in no time, and the 10 rounds I stayed for were pure fun. Excellent stuff, and a great but simple map for CTF. Kinda reminded me of UT. Great stuff.

ShortBus

Just got a Beta Code...but i'm a little too busy with LBP to use it.

If anyone still needs one, leave a message.

Update: Someone got it...just as I was going to leave. :D

sun-drop

ok well i downloaded the beta, and then the 16mb patch ...but the game freezes on that really ulgy art splash screen right at the start of nathan holding a gun infront of a burning city...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
notjackbauer said:
The co-op mode isn't gimped, right? It's pretty fleshed out and close in content to the single player, no?

Not gimped at all - even if you just want to play through and see all of the different encounters, get the mission briefings and intel, it'll take you more than twice as long as the SP Campaign.

If you want to fully level all three characters up, you better stock up on snacks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ploid 3.0 said:
Why does it need co-op main story single player mode? Is it the same reason Dead Space, Bioshock, and half-life needed co-op?

because the first one had it and it was fun

Some weapon impressions
Shotgun- The shotguns primary fire is very weak, takes a lot of blast (even at close range to down someone) but the R2 function is still lethal, you're just fucked if you miss first time. :D
Did have an awesome game with the shotgun.

Bullseye-One of my faves from FoM, but the aiming ridicule is broken. Way to big and inaccurate, not good when trying to tag people. It's even posible to miss point blank. :/

Bellock- I don't get it at all. Seems to be some sort of grenade launcher, secondary fire shoots flame grenades (wasn't this is one of the TS games). Found the bellock fucking useless tbh, but maybe I'm using it wrong.

Splicer- Awesome gun, as we expect form Insomniac. Fires spinning disks. Takes at least a few to down someone with primary fire, but secondary fire is awesome. It spins the disk wildly in the gun and when fired at an enemy it continues spinning inside them doing MASSIVE DAMAGE! Think you can sixaxis shake it out or something. Best tactic is fire off one R1 shot then an R2 shot, run off and leave him to die. Mwahaha.

Marksman- Battleriffle like. Great in co-op play. Undecided about it in competitive though. Others seem to like it though. Has a weird electricity charge R2 fire. Not totally sure what this does.

Carbine- Lethal. Probably even more so than in the first game.

Magnum- Haven't used it a lot. Killed a few with it but it was as last resort. Secondary fire (I think) implants an explosive in the enemy which they've to shake out. Could be a sticky grenade even.

Auger- Haven't really used it at all, but it seems fucking powerfull. The shield is far larger than in FoM, and grenades can't come through it anymore. Seems a little to powerful to (the shiled)

Wrath(minigun)- Not a fan really. Good for taking down hordes in co-op, and I assume if you see a group of enemies in competitive it'd be good too (possibly in skirmish). But in a one on one fire fight it's darn useless, carbine will utterly own you.

renade/hedgehog/fuel grenade- Hedgehog (lovely gore explosion on these) and air fuels are the same basically, only you can throw as far. Grenades seem less powerful though, don't seem to explode on impact anymore which I don't like.

Berserks (perks)- Gain ep to unlock these.
--Projectile bullet (or something). Makes bullets do more damage. Pretty useful in one on ones but not great gainst a pack, you'll still get raped.
--Ironheart. Probably the most usefull. Enemy bullets do less damage. Pretty useful for CTC. I've started using this one.
--Hybrid vision. Allows you, and anyone near you to see enemies through walls. Used this one for a while, and it's pretty good. Would work well with shotgun in an indoor map.
--Some electric bullet malarcky. Not used it. Think it causes some extra damage or something.

Rolf NB

Holy shit, the coop is awesome! Playing with stupid people makes it quite hard, but when you match up with a bunch that knows how to stick together and advance carefully, it's such a blast.

The nice thing is that most matches actually work. All but the dumbest people quickly learn that rushing forward leads not just to their own quick death, but to a looong respawn wait, because they just can't be revived in the middle of a clump of enemies. Eventually they'll get it.

I'd like to suggest that co-op matches start automatically when they have been more than 75% full for more than 90 seconds. In many games the host doesn't notice they are the host and just never starts the match. In other games people try to wait for a full game, but as they wait longer, people start dropping out. It's not really necessary to wait, because people can still join after the match has started, so I'd just force the match to begin.

bcn-ron said:
Holy shit, the coop is awesome! Playing with stupid people makes it quite hard, but when you match up with a bunch that knows how to stick together and advance carefully, it's such a blast.

Yeah, it's excellent. But tard teams are annoying.

Mostly been leveling up my spec ops, and it's pretty hard to get a balance right between sniping enemies and running to give you team ammo. Often the more stupid members of your team will run straight into the enemies, more often than not ending in there death. So dealing out the ammo can be tricky. It's pretty intense though, as is whatever class you choose I'd imagine, but I love sniping a few enemies then running around chucking ammo. Get's you a lot of EP points too. :D
Shit medics are a bit annoying sometimes, but if your team have headsets everything is sweet.

Hey, jstevenson, maybe you can answer a question for me. I can't create a game in co-op. I just get an Error Creating Game message. I can join and play in others' games though. Any reason this might be happening?

dork

Banned
are the coop and singleplayer campaigns different?

ie- can i play through singleplayer by myself..save

then start a coop campaign...save and go back to singleplayer without messing up individual saves?

h3ro

Hmm... I just installed the Beta on my other PS3 and now I'm not getting any sound. Anyone know how to fix this? Re-Download perhaps?

dork said:
are the coop and singleplayer campaigns different?

ie- can i play through singleplayer by myself..save

then start a coop campaign...save and go back to singleplayer without messing up individual saves?

Separate stories. Co-op follows a different group through a separate story arc opposed to Nathan Hale's story through SP... Different save data, etc.

dork

Banned
h3ro said:
Hmm... I just installed the Beta on my other PS3 and now I'm not getting any sound. Anyone know how to fix this? Re-Download perhaps?

Separate stories. Co-op follows a different group through a separate story arc opposed to Nathan Hale's story through SP... Different save data, etc.

hip hip hooray

Teknoman

levious said:
because the first one had it and it was fun

Play online co-op with 8 people that arent all the same class(and actually have headsets). Fun AND intense.

That being said, I might end up playing with GAF more than anyone as far as co-op goes. There are still too many people on PSN that:

A.) Dont have a headset...not even a USB headset
or
B.) Have no idea how to properly use their headset.

garath

Ugh, so there's no real good two player co-op like R1? While the 8 player stuff is going to be fun, I was really looking forward to playing through the campaign with my friend online like we did split screen in R1 :(

NIN90

InterMoniker said:
Oh shit I got a code in my email!!! But aol is being retarded every time I go to click on the email it won't load What The Hell!?>

Maybe open it through Outlook if that's possible with AOL.

Rolf NB

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Yeah, it's excellent. But tard teams are annoying.

Mostly been leveling up my spec ops, and it's pretty hard to get a balance right between sniping enemies and running to give you team ammo. Often the more stupid members of your team will run straight into the enemies, more often than not ending in there death. So dealing out the ammo can be tricky. It's pretty intense though, as is whatever class you choose I'd imagine, but I love sniping a few enemies then running around chucking ammo. Get's you a lot of EP points too. :D
Shit medics are a bit annoying sometimes, but if your team have headsets everything is sweet.
I think the key is close proximity. Time spent running from one "wing" of the team to another is time not spent shooting, healing, restocking, whatever.
I've played as a medic almost exclusively. I wanted to try the other classes, and played a bit of spec ops, but changed back to medic in the middle of the match. There were rarely enough medics already on the team. Two should be the minimum for an 8p match imo, and having three doesn't hurt either.

The thing with "shit medics" is that sometimes they seem to ignore the "medic!" screams from their comrades and just fire at enemies. That's most likely because they can't heal. Healing is a finite resource, and when left without regular resupplies, medics can only recharge by shooting enemies, and very slowly at that.

Here's a request from a "shit medic" to a spec ops: hand out ammo. Medics unlock the carbine on level 2, which allows them a single shot of the 10mm secondary grenade, but only when stocked by a spec op. Medics can also throw grenades, but again only if restocked by a spec op.

An attentive spec ops can help a medic keep even a tardy team alive, by refilling the healing function and providing some nice bonus fireworks every now and then.

Teknoman

Yeah, i'm spec ops and try to keep an eye on my teams ammo. If im not shooting, or the fire is too heavy to pull off some shots, then im just running back and forth tossing ammo boxes to people.

h3ro

garath said:
Ugh, so there's no real good two player co-op like R1? While the 8 player stuff is going to be fun, I was really looking forward to playing through the campaign with my friend online like we did split screen in R1 :(

Listen to the last Insomniac Podcast, they explain why they did it... I think it's not that big of a deal, especially after playing Co-op last night in the beta, its great fun...

NIN90

Yeah, but the ammo throw should be farther and there should be a sound when you pick up an ammo crate. Somtimes I don't even notice it, and I'm like "JUST GIMME THAT FUCKING AMMO I NEED TO HEAL; oh I'm fully stacked, thanks!"

patsu

garath said:

I played R2 2P co-op. It is good. We nearly won, but success got the better of us. We lost in the end. Try it.

Top Bottom