• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Nizz

AgentOtaku said:
THIS IS HOW YOU TWEAK YOUR ANALOG STICK'S RANGE/SENSITIVITY DEVELOPERS!!!!

Congrats Insomniac....I <3 U
Haven't tried the beta yet (still d/loading, big ass file!) but even since R1, Insomniac's fine tuning of the analog sticks range/sensitivity is one of the best. I'd say COD 4 is up there with R1 in regards to controls on the Dualshock 3. In a perfect world, Insomniac/Infinity Ward's settings/tuned controller sensitivity/feel would be part of everyone's tool set for PS3 programming when it came time to fine tune the controls for PS3 fps. Other fps games have offered up great controls but there's something especially smooth about the controls for R1...

Teknoman

henhowc said:
I just find it hard (in general) to play without voice chat on consoles. It was passable in PC FPSes because you do could do team chat and use keyboard binds to do things quickly but team-based games on consoles (w/o VC) just seem like they turn into clusterf@cks :lol

Yup pretty much.

Chris R

So after doing some research it seems that there is no KBM support :( Really wish it was an option, but whatever. I'll have to spend some more time with the beta now to see if I really do want to go out and buy this. Enjoy sniping, but the aiming is just so damn difficult with the controller :(

Enojado

jstevenson said:
It means offline co-op (you and a buddy playing through the co-op campaign) will take about 18-24 hours.

The single-player Nathan Hale campaign is 9-11 hours long.

As far as maps - it's hard to exactly describe MP map numbers (for instance, Orick has a 60p map, 2 40p maps, 2 20p maps and 4 10p maps). But suffice to say, there are a lot of maps for any player - whether you like small games or big ones.

Not complaining, but I sure hope that is a conservative estimate. But, I'm sure what's there is spectacular.

ChrisD84

I just got into the beta myself today due to me pre-ordering from GAME, although i wasn't even aware you could get a code this way :p

I played my first ever game of resistance mp, and i did better than i thought i would do for my first go ^^

The marksman seemed like a fun weapon to use and i had a fair amount of success with it, as well as with the bullseye even though i had a hard time trying to tag people :lol

I also played a round of coop, which was enjoyable once our team started trying to work together a bit more. I can definately see how much fun that mode could be with the right people playing.

I'll probably have a few more matches and then leave it untill the full game comes out, as i still really need to finish up the Resistance 1 SP first. I got the game recently with my ps3 and i'm probably only about half way through it at the moment, but i'm enjoying it a lot already :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
oneHeero said:
Why wouldnt you share it off your ps3 and let others get a code?

I dont understand some of you grabbing a extra for a friend who probably isnt even on gaf. You guys should share your beta and let gaffers get the codes.

The beta is shareable, I gave it to someone a couple of days ago..

Shareable meaning these codes aren't unique? Or do you mean once I've downloaded the beta I can just copy it over to a friends PS3? I want to be able to play the beta with my friends and we don't exactly live close to each other. Don't use my PS3 much so I'm not aware of all of its functionality.

One Gafer already asked me if it was ok to give the code to someone else even though I responded first. I said go ahead...not sure what the big deal is. Its not like I'm lying and saying I don't have my own code already. If a Gafer doesn't want to give me another code they don't have to. :\

fps fanatic said:
Haven't tried the beta yet (still d/loading, big ass file!) but even since R1, Insomniac's fine tuning of the analog sticks range/sensitivity is one of the best. I'd say COD 4 is up there with R1 in regards to controls on the Dualshock 3. In a perfect world, Insomniac/Infinity Ward's settings/tuned controller sensitivity/feel would be part of everyone's tool set for PS3 programming when it came time to fine tune the controls for PS3 fps. Other fps games have offered up great controls but there's something especially smooth about the controls for R1...

Yeah I completely caught me off guard when I started the beta up! :D

BTW ... thank you IG for the marksman. I've loved a burst fire BR ever since Halo 2 and missed this weapon greatly in the first. :D

Marksman + Sniper (if you can find one after spawning) is almost like cheating. Also ... are there no more weapon spawns? I didn't make the connection to the first until now oddly enough.

DeadGzuz

Banned
jstevenson said:
It means offline co-op (you and a buddy playing through the co-op campaign) will take about 18-24 hours.

The single-player Nathan Hale campaign is 9-11 hours long.

As far as maps - it's hard to exactly describe MP map numbers (for instance, Orick has a 60p map, 2 40p maps, 2 20p maps and 4 10p maps). But suffice to say, there are a lot of maps for any player - whether you like small games or big ones.

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm asking is how many unique environments or locations are the maps based on? I understand you can chop up a huge Orick map into many semi-different maps smaller maps, but they are all going to look more or less the same.

Thanks.

dralla

The bullet spray is ruining the game for me, I want my bullets to go where my cross hair is, why are the guns so inaccurate? It feels like it's not about skill anymore but who sees who first.

EktorPR

So BruceLeeRoy is making the Official Thread...good. :D I just came here to ask who was doing it since the GOW 2 camp just started partying with theirs.

Sinn Fein

Thanks jstevenson! This is rad. So, is there a way to stay in a match after it ends? I see there's a party system of some kind, but I noticed it too late to stick with some good people I was in a coop match with. Most people haven't been very communicative or good. Spec Ops people REALLY have to give ammo a lot and a lot of the time they just attack.

I've been switching classes around to whatever's needed, mostly good spec ops, but I have to admit that soldier is quite fun (unusual for me).

anyone playing tonight, and if so, how would we hook up and stay in a game?

-viper-

Banned
One hit kill and infinite ammo = epic fail, especially the former.
Lacking the ability to send messages = fail again. Please add this feature back.
Unable to join same game as friends = fail again. R1 had it, so this should also have it.

EktorPR

-viper- said:
Lacking the ability to send messages = fail again. Please add this feature back.
Unable to join same game as friends = fail again. R1 had it, so this should also have it.

Yeah, what about this, jstevenson? I've tried to join a couple friends' games and nothing. I'm still yet to understand the "Allies" way of matchmaking with friends. :/

dralla

-viper- said:

what? you can send messages in XMB. and joining friends, have you pressed triangle?

G-Bus

Banned
Does anyone got a spare key I could get. Would be much appreciated. I got a friend who wants to give this a try.

-viper-

Banned
dralla said:
what? you can send messages in XMB. and joining friends, have you pressed triangle?
It's just so much more convenient to send messages in the menu as opposed to pressing the XMB button, then scrolling to your friends list, and then pressing triangle, and then creating a message.

Pressing triangle does nothing. On the first game, there was an option of 'join game' when selecting a friend's name. There only seems to be 'join party' which doesn't exactly do much.

JB1981

I take back everything I said about the Auger being useless in open areas. I just got about 15 kills with it in a huge Team Deathmatch match on the Chicago map.

Does anybody want to get a decent group together and play? (competitive)

JB1981

EktorPR said:
Yeah, what about this, jstevenson? I've tried to join a couple friends' games and nothing. I'm still yet to understand the "Allies" way of matchmaking with friends. :/

You have to go into Party Control options and enable friends to join. In order for you to join your friends, they have to do the same.

JB1981 said:
I take back everything I said about the Auger being useless in open areas. I just got about 15 kills with it in a huge Team Deathmatch match on the Chicago map.

I'll join ya after dinner.

shpankey

not an idiot
garath said:
Having played PC FPS games online for years and years, you'll find that the masses migrate toward the past of least resistance. The 1 hit or increased damage "servers" become so popular that it'll be difficult to find a "normal" game. While that's well and good and the argument can be made that "if that's what people like, let them play it", except the game was balanced around "normal" damage. When you start going to increased damage and 1 hit games, then you lose that balance and it's no longer even the same game. Weapons become useless and other weaker weapons are suddenly overpowering because of a quick rate of fire and formerly "low damage".

There's no reason to make the game easier. Leave the challenge, leave the skill.
you're right, and not only that, the whole situation makes itself worse, b/c people that are looking for a normal game, can't find one b/c the few that are there are full and so we jump into the 1 hit game b/c of no other choice, and others do the same, so the problem makes itself worse.

when i play FPS on the pc now, everyone is playing with 1 shot.

btw... did that whole thing originate in the unreal series? i remember it running rampant there first.

Foil

I just can't get into the feel of R2 even after giving the multiplayer another shot. It just feels really slow, clunky, and sluggish. I can't stand how much of a clusterfuck the multiplayer becomes at times, be it in small games or full large scale games. Visually it looks pretty subpar outside of some standout effects like the skyboxes and water. Some elements of the visuals look downright ugly, including the character models.

The intergration of the clan/party/friends system is really well done however. Maybe third times a charm and I'll get into it after giving it yet another try. Who knows. I still think Resistance 1 feels so much better in terms of gameplay and flow. The game kinda feels rushed and a tad sloppy to me. Then again, it's only a beta. I'd prefer that Insomanic take an extra year of development time for their next project. Either way I'm still looking foward to the single player part of R2.

Playing this and Killzone 2 back to back really does no favors to Reistance 2 in any dept, be it visuals, gameplay, sound design, etc. I'll give the multiplayer another chance later tonight. Hopefully I can get into it. I've also had a horrible time trying to connect to games. Half the time it says a game is full or brings up a network error.

G-Bus

Banned
JB1981 said:

I'm in.

If anyone wants to add me PSN ID:G-bus

JB1981

Foil said:
I just can't get into the feel of R2 even after giving the multiplayer another shot. It just feels really slow, clunky, and sluggish. I can't stand how much of a clusterfuck the multiplayer becomes at times, be it in small games or full large scale games. Visually it looks pretty subpar outside of some standout effects like the skyboxes and water. Some elements of the visuals look downright ugly, including the character models.

The intergration of the clan/party/friends system is really well done however. Maybe third times a charm and I'll get into it after giving it yet another try. Who knows. I still think Resistance 1 feels so much better in terms of gameplay and flow. The game kinda feels rushed and a tad sloppy to me. Then again, it's only a beta. I'd prefer that Insomanic take an extra year of development time for their next project. Either way I'm still looking foward to the single player part of R2.

Playing this and Killzone 2 back to back really does no favors to Reistance 2 in any dept, be it visuals, gameplay, sound design, etc. I'll give the multiplayer another chance later tonight. Hopefully I can get into it. I've also had a horrible time trying to connect to games. Half the time it says a game is full or brings up a network error.

I prefer the style of play in KZ as well, but I feel it's kind of silly to compare the two games - both of them obviously have very different goals in mind.

Dunk#7

jstevenson -- Will we be able to type messages within a party like in R1? Currently in the beta you can only talk. I miss the feature please tell me it is in the full game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jstevenson said:
Soon, though the first review hit today from OPM UK: 9/10 :D ... keep in mind that they gave RFOM a 7/10 as well.
I wonder what the Swedish magazine (can't remember the name of it) that gave the original Resistance 3/10 will give this one...

M3Freak

Banned
Big-E said:
Just got a code now for just being an underground member. Played for a minute briefly before having to get ready to go out and so far I do like the speed increase but still, I don't know how I feel about the game from a competitive stand point.

play with the old guard, and you will quickly come to one of three opinions:

1. it's awesome...must play
2. it's fun, but RFoM it's not. RFoM is dead! Long live RFoM!
3. Shoot me now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Private Hoffman said:
haha what. a magazine seriously gave R1 a 3/10?
Yes, said that controlling Hale was just too painful.

Darkman M

How long does the beta last? Psu just sent me a code yesterday, im thinking about just giving it away playing through alot of games right now.

Quick question, I noticed that there was a competetive medal for getting 100 kills with the LAARK, which means that there's a LAARK in multiplayer, right? So how's that gonna work? Are people gonna be able to choose a LAARK class and spawn with a rocket launcher everytime?????

Yoshichan

EDIT: Nevermind

I'm having some real issues with the beta...it feels really slow and sluggish. Playing Co-Op with my brother was horrible as tons of grims would spawn and the tortary gun? would run out of ammo fast. I can't even switch weapons, it says to press triangle but any weapon we pick up or find(Maybe just messages?) isn't usable.

Resistance 1 felt so much more tighter and faster. This feels very slow and complex, the berserk thing makes no sense to me, L2 to run is awkward and...hrm. I was expecting a nice graphical update, which we got, but the gameplay seems to be weaker now...

Top Bottom