• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Jeseus

shagg_187 said:

darth_vader_nooo.jpeg

I need FULL GAME NOW!! :lol

Dante

Pai Pai Master said:
I still love this game.

*shrugs. Same here. I am glad Insomniac didn't just give us the same ol multi-player options and modes. I don't know they seemed to veer off the norm and a lot of people are raking them over the coals instead of giving something new a fair shake. They took the safe road with R&CF, and people complained that it was more of the same. Seems Insomniac can't win here.

garath

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
This totally true. Dunno why they'd limit options.

I personally thought that 1 hit, Hanger, sniper only DM was a fuck load of fun. Often played round after round of it.
1 hit was also good for CTF sometimes.

For both these your (not Bob) arguments hold no weight. How can you kill by spamming bullets with a sniper? In CTF everyone spaws at base.

People had fun with it, came up with their own game modes. 40mm as Bob states, melee only, grenades only, hanger/sniper match. Why limit gameplay possibilities?

Nobody is forcing you to play these (and it's not true that 99% were 1 hit), and I think that if 1 hit was removed because some sad cunts padded their stats playing 1 hit TDM, then that's lame.

Having played PC FPS games online for years and years, you'll find that the masses migrate toward the past of least resistance. The 1 hit or increased damage "servers" become so popular that it'll be difficult to find a "normal" game. While that's well and good and the argument can be made that "if that's what people like, let them play it", except the game was balanced around "normal" damage. When you start going to increased damage and 1 hit games, then you lose that balance and it's no longer even the same game. Weapons become useless and other weaker weapons are suddenly overpowering because of a quick rate of fire and formerly "low damage".

There's no reason to make the game easier. Leave the challenge, leave the skill.

Dante

ThirstyFly said:
People, for the love of god please support your Medics. We need ammo packs too.

This!!! Nothing more maddening then Soldiers complaining about Medics not healing.....We can't heal if we don't have ammo packs! :)

Dante said:
This!!! Nothing more maddening then Soldiers complaining about Medics not healing.....We can't heal if we don't have ammo packs! :)

The worst part is when everyone is attacking a boss form a safe distance and you're trying to suck away at with that damn proton beam because people are too lazy to spawn a few ammo packs.

bryehn

Just thought I'd mention that my local rental store has their copies ready to go. Everyone should be able to get this day one from the looks of it.

Snook

Where is my beta code?
QORE!

Or maybe one of you swell people could hand me one of those sweet codes. Much obliged if so.

Thank you. My dreams came true!

Enojado

Is there room on the Gaf clan for more people? If so, I'd love to be a part of it. Can't say I'm the best fps player out there, but I'm all for teamwork and have a flexible schedule to play. So, I guess if a clan member sees this I'd be happy to get an invite for R2.

PSN: thugmuffin77

Enojado

Hachimaki said:
So many enemies and corpses on the screen. Everything looks chaotic so I'm guessing a mic is a must have for this.

yeah, and you also need people that have a fucking clue what to do. It's so frustrating to be yelling for ammo and/or health while you see those guys run past you without helping. Sigh, some people are epic fails at coop. But, when you get a good bunch of people to play with coop really shines.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Man I really need a mic for this. Sony needs to start bundling something cheap in their new systems.

Slightly Off-Topic: but what mics are people using on their PS3s? I was thinking of getting Socom just for the headset and selling the game since the bundle is a way better deal. Is the way the bundle is packaged allow for that? :lol

Nizz

This beta virgin finally popped his cherry! They sent me a code! Never been in a beta before, d/loading now. But I don't have a headset. :( Hopefully I can still hang....

Stillmatic

I'm sure this has been considered already, and it's a little thing and could just be adding unneeded clutter. I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to have an icon pop up when someone is talking over the mic, similar in how the ammo icon appears when someone needs ammo.

When someone's calling, it's hard to make out where they are a lot of the time, that way you can grab a couple from your squad and change tactics on the fly, without the time used to figure out who's actually calling your name and where they are.

Enojado said:
yeah, and you also need people that have a fucking clue what to do. It's so frustrating to be yelling for ammo and/or health while you see those guys run past you without helping. Sigh, some people are epic fails at coop. But, when you get a good bunch of people to play with coop really shines.

I've actually avoided playing co-op so far due to not having many friends in the beta. I played it for a little and can see how much fun it is, but I'm waiting to get a good group to go in to actually play it. The competitive has been a blast for me though. It's all about the marksman. Burst Fire FTW!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Fenderputty said:
I've actually avoided playing co-op so far due to not having many friends in the beta. I played it for a little and can see how much fun it is, but I'm waiting to get a good group to go in to actually play it. The competitive has been a blast for me though. It's all about the marksman. Burst Fire FTW!

I just find it hard (in general) to play without voice chat on consoles. It was passable in PC FPSes because you do could do team chat and use keyboard binds to do things quickly but team-based games on consoles (w/o VC) just seem like they turn into clusterf@cks :lol

Stillmatic

Enojado said:

To add to that, i've been in a couple of games where no one else flips the other switch (the part before you fight the first Stalker), thinking they can kill off the constantly spawning Chimera. :p

It aint going to end buddy, FLIP THE FUCKING SWITCH! :lol

G Rom

Here are High Def' footage as promised.

Competitive in Orick, CA (Part 1)
720p

Competitive in Orick, CA (Part 2)
720p

Cooperative in Orick, CA (Part 1)
720p

Cooperative in Orick, CA (Part 2)
720p

As usual, low bandwidth versions are posted on Youtube.

Feel free to share your feedback, PM me...

SetUhatU

Played the beta for about an hour. Competitive was fun although the graphics were far from impressive. The coop could be fun but I had no idea what I was doing as a medic. Stealing health from enemies and redistributing it to my team I guess. My play style probably favors the single player for this type of game - I'll probably give it a rental.

Now back to Warhawk...

Fizzle

SetUhatU said:
Played the beta for about an hour. Competitive was fun although the graphics were far from impressive. The coop could be fun but I had no idea what I was doing as a medic. Stealing health from enemies and redistributing it to my team I guess. My play style probably favors the single player for this type of game - I'll probably give it a rental.

Now back to Warhawk...

Do 2 Player Co-Op as a Medic and you'll realize your fate in that game.

fanboi

Banned
SetUhatU said:

Now back to Warhawk...

I agree on the graphics, some things were very low standard BUT the gameplay in competetiv is one of the most funny experience this gen.

Great game.

DeadGzuz

Banned
jstevenson said:
Since we say things like 60-75 hours, the first bar is the minimum, the gold bar represents the variability up to the max.

What does unlock in offline mean? The campaign mode? 18-24hrs? Why so long, I assume the campaign is really like the first 10-12hrs.

BTW I asked once, but never saw an answer, how many online maps are there at launch?

Guled

DeadGzuz said:
What does unlock in offline mean? The campaign mode? 18-24hrs? Why so long, I assume the campaign is really like the first 10-12hrs.

BTW I asked once, but never saw an answer, how many online maps are there at launch?
All the bars are for coop, but its takes longer offline since its limited to 2 people instead of 8.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DeadGzuz said:

It means offline co-op (you and a buddy playing through the co-op campaign) will take about 18-24 hours.

The single-player Nathan Hale campaign is 9-11 hours long.

As far as maps - it's hard to exactly describe MP map numbers (for instance, Orick has a 60p map, 2 40p maps, 2 20p maps and 4 10p maps). But suffice to say, there are a lot of maps for any player - whether you like small games or big ones.

Guled

jstevenson said:
It means offline co-op (you and a buddy playing through the co-op campaign) will take about 18-24 hours.

The single-player Nathan Hale campaign is 9-11 hours long.

As far as maps - it's hard to exactly describe MP map numbers (for instance, Orick has a 60p map, 2 40p maps, 2 20p maps and 4 10p maps). But suffice to say, there are a lot of maps for any player - whether you like small games or big ones.
Can you tell us all the game types there will be on the retail disc? Is it the same as the beta?

Chris R

I was not interested in this game AT ALL before tying it out. Now I might be picking it up day one. Only thing I don't know for sure (didn't read the entire thread or have done any research before because I wasn't interested in the game) is if it supports KBM play, and even if it doesn't for multiplayer for "balance", if it does for single player.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Enojado said:

My one rule is that a soldier should never run out of ammo, and there is no excuse the Spec-Ops have for not getting ammo to them as there's a big fucking icon that explains it all.

Lack of team play in general pisses me off. I played with a bunch of idiots earlier who all did a Somme and all charged the turrets getting wiped out in the process. Spec-Ops with invisibility should be all over that section - I shouldn't have to explain that to them. Failing that, two soldiers with shields should do it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Has this been posted yet?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/24/important-resistance-2-beta-dates/

With the Resistance 2 public beta now in full swing, we wanted to make you aware of a few important dates for those in North America.

* The open application process will close today at 4 p.m. PDT. If you haven’t applied yet, head to http://beta.myresistance.net/apply.
* Today is not your last chance! Much like with the LittleBigPlanet beta, USA Today will be distributing (hundreds of) codes on their site beginning next Tuesday.
* The download servers will shut down on Wednesday, October 29 at 5 p.m. PDT. What’s that mean exactly? You won’t be able to download the beta after this date.
* We’ll be shutting down the beta servers on Thursday, October 30 at 11:59 p.m PDT. After that, you’ll need a retail copy of R2 to continue playing this first-person shooter.

My impressions:

• Great menus. Presentation is just amazing.
  • Competitve is a lot of fun. Will be playing this for a long time. Carbine is a beast.
  • I love how the game awards you so much.
  • Co-op is great especially with friends, but the bosses in co-op dont really do anything. They just stand there.
  • So many stats! The only stat the game needs is kill streak. (please be in the launch game)

Cannot wait for the game.

Owzers

Hmmmmmmm i dunno. My hand cramped up playing as soldier today because these two end bosses for a mission, on the small circular tower thing, take way too many hits to die imo and it just feels like a boring waiting game as it slowly slowly dies. I like playing special ops the most i think though it can get a little annoying when the soliders like to run around and move backwards with their shields taking the people behind them out of it, and likewise, if i'm a soldier with my shield up, why do people walk infront of me in my line of fire? Crazy humans.

*reads post above me*

yes, the bosses in the co-op missions are really really boring.

Nafai1123

Banned
industrian said:
My one rule is that a soldier should never run out of ammo, and there is no excuse the Spec-Ops have for not getting ammo to them as there's a big fucking icon that explains it all.

Lack of team play in general pisses me off. I played with a bunch of idiots earlier who all did a Somme and all charged the turrets getting wiped out in the process. Spec-Ops with invisibility should be all over that section - I shouldn't have to explain that to them. Failing that, two soldiers with shields should do it.

I was playing as a spec-ops last night and although I thought I did a fairly good job of keeping the ammo coming, it definitely depends on the ratio of soldiers to spec-ops. With four soldiers unloading non-stop in multiple locations, it becomes impossible to provide everyone with ammo.

I would really like to get together with a group and try some advanced squad techniques. For example, pretty much every time I've played and encountered one of those enemy "bum-rush" experiences, 7 out of 8 people will die and one person will run off and hide till everyone respawns. Imagine if during those situations, 4 soldiers form a square around the entire squad and use their shields as a sort of spartan phalanx. It would be so much cooler to actually hold the hill than die and reclaim the hill.

sillymonkey321 said:
yes, the bosses in the co-op missions are really really boring.

I would've agreed with you up until last night when I fought my first alpha grims. Those guys move a lot and are freakin huge. I can imagine that the full game is going to have a pretty good balance of fast moving and slow moving bosses (imagine one of those cloaking enemies as a boss).

oneHeero

henhowc said:
I'll take another for my brother if you have it still. :D
Why wouldnt you share it off your ps3 and let others get a code?

I dont understand some of you grabbing a extra for a friend who probably isnt even on gaf. You guys should share your beta and let gaffers get the codes.

The beta is shareable, I gave it to someone a couple of days ago..

patsu

industrian said:

There are many new players who are still trying to figure out which way to go, what and how to fight.

I stood right in front of a medic the other day waiting for him to heal me. He ignored me and kept asking his buddy what to do next. His buddy was a SpecOp, and he didn't dish out any ammo either. The two of them ran into the open repeatedly and got killed by HellFire (They were shooting at the HellFire turrets). I didn't dare to die and switch class because I was afraid they would die while I was respawning.

Thankfully, the network disconnected. The only time I was happy about disruption.

desertdroog

When you say shareable..what does that mean? Do I forward the code I used to get in and dl the game to another or is there some sort of menu item I need to use in the beta for sharing?

Stillmatic

Nafai1123 said:
I would've agreed with you up until last night when I fought my first alpha grims. Those guys move a lot and are freakin huge. I can imagine that the full game is going to have a pretty good balance of fast moving and slow moving bosses (imagine one of those cloaking enemies as a boss).

Yeah, i ran into them too last night. There was 3 of them and they all are really aggressive and chase you down. You run away, turn around and one's right there about to take a swing at you. Freaky and awesome at the same time. :D

THIS IS HOW YOU TWEAK YOUR ANALOG STICK'S RANGE/SENSITIVITY DEVELOPERS!!!!

Congrats Insomniac....I <3 U

oh and thanks for ungimping the Y-Axis! :D

Top Bottom