• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Dunk#7

Darkpen said:
got a beta code for US. quote this message and I'll send a pm D:

My friend is really wanting in. Any chance I can get it?

I'm already in, but i would like to play some co-op with him.

Darkpen

Banned
Dunk#7 said:

well, I mean, if that was going to be the case, I would've just given it away to someone on my friendslist, and trust me, almost no one on my pre-R2 friendslist is playing the beta.

I would really prefer giving it to a GAFer who needs it, but if no one else wants it in the next 5 minutes, sure, why not.

Ok, I was just about to delete this off my HHD, but said what the heck I'll give it another go.

Downloaded the new patch 1.3, booted up competitive and selected the harbor/bridge level, a 10 player match and see how it is. I kept on changing weapons to find the perfect one for my play style, and just said fuck it, I'll go with the carbine.

It was getting fun and was less frustrating as I was able to kill people this time around, without them turning and killing me first. But my KDR was still around 1.00 and was dieing as much as I was killing.
So this is where everything completly turns around for me and this game, I decided to change the controls to the COD4 scheme and HOLY SHIT this game has become fun, started going 16-6, 18-9 and enjoying it quite much.

Then this is where for me it became a consideration into buying it. I chose a 40 player match to really see if this worked or if the previous matches were just a hoax. THEN FUCK ME OUT LOUD, the most hectic/funnest/enjoyable mp match I ever played. nothing else strokes your game ego like finishing second out of 40 people with 50 kills and 28 deaths.
FUCKING AMAZING! complete turnaround.

So for the people who are completly turned off by this game, I say go back and change the controls to the COD4 set like:

Shoot: R1
Alt fire: R2
Zoom- L1
Grenade- L2

Jump- X
Reload- Square
Crouch - O
Change weapon- Triangle

L3- Sprint
R3- Mellee

I still have some things I don't like with it too, such as Co-op and I think everybody said it by know, lower lower lower the health of the enemies.

MP maps are also poorly designed and I find them small which isn't very good for strategy (well at least for me), equipment customization menu is pretty useless.

SO, who's up for some matches?

send me an invite.

Dunk#7 said:

Since he's your friend, you can give him your PSN account login info and he can download it to his system. I heard people can play the beta using their own PSN account once they have it downloaded.

btkadams

Rapping Granny said:
Ok, I was just about to delete this off my HHD, but said what the heck I'll give it another go.

Downloaded the new patch 1.3, booted up competitive and selected the harbor/bridge level, a 10 player match and see how it is. I kept on changing weapons to find the perfect one for my play style, and just said fuck it, I'll go with the carbine.

It was getting fun and was less frustrating as I was able to kill people this time around, without them turning and killing me first. But my KDR was still around 1.00 and was dieing as much as I was killing.
So this is where everything completly turns around for me and this game, I decided to change the controls to the COD4 scheme and HOLY SHIT this game has become fun, started going 16-6, 18-9 and enjoying it quite much.

Then this is where for me it became a consideration into buying it. I chose a 40 player match to really see if this worked or if the previous matches were just a hoax. THEN FUCK ME OUT LOUD, the most hectic/funnest/enjoyable mp match I ever played. nothing else strokes your game ego like finishing second out of 40 people with 50 kills and 28 deaths.

So for the people who are completly turned off by this game, I say go back and change the controls to the COD4 set like:

Zoom- L1
Grenade- L2

Jump- X
Reload- Square
Crouch - O
Change weapon- Triangle

L3- Sprint
R3- Mellee

I still have some things I don't like with it too, such as Co-op and I think everybody said it by know, lower lower lower the health of the enemies.

MP maps are also poorly designed and I find them small which isn't very good for strategy (well at least for me), equipment customization menu is pretty useless.

send me an invite.
why does everybody feel the need for resistance 2 to be cod4?

Gattsu25

Banned
My brother's playing this right now (and another brother who's playing it whenever the system is idle) and he really likes it. He wasn't a fan of the original multiplayer.

Me? I'll just wait for the release.
btkadams said:
why does everybody feel the need for resistance 2 to be cod4?
Because Resistance gives them the ability to control like COD4, should they find the need to?

I dunno...personally, I also find the need for every game to be COD4 kinda ridiculous...so you're not alone in that...but hell...at least the game let's you change the controls

RobertM said:
As in shots per minute slower.

Not a single gun stands out to me, and Carbine feels less powerful than it did in R1.

You can run but still die most of them time since you're engaging groups of people. I prefer R1 regeneration which lets your survive for some time.

Even with Markmans, a burst weapon, it takes a significant amount of shots to kill a person. It should be a lot more powerful in scope mode, and weak in regular.

It's just little things that make the experiment a lot different for me compared to the experience I got from R1. Maybe it's also the maps and the community, but those things stood out the most.

You're just bad. Marksman is a 2 hit kill. That's 3.5 people at full health before reloading!

Ploid 3.0

Rapping Granny said:

Zoom- L1
Grenade- L2

Jump- X
Reload- Square
Crouch - O
Change weapon- Triangle

L3- Sprint
R3- Mellee

send me an invite.

You are going to get a lot of hate mail lol. But ea, R2 is the swiss army FPS. It's what you want it to be.

ah shit I just relized what I just said. 3 in the morning right now. oh well.

BTW I am not saying I want this to be COD4 or anything, I am just so used to that control scheme ever since COD2. everything else seems like shit to me in terms of controls.

Gattsu25

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
You're just bad. Marksman is a 2 hit kill. That's 3.5 people at full health before reloading!
Wait a second..why the heck would a gun be stronger in the scope mode? What did he mean by that?

If you're going to play San Francisco... you should learn how to use the Fareye or the Marksman. Using a Carbine against anyone with a brain on that level will fuck you hard.

Also, Insomniac... for the love of god... REMOVE THE HORRIBLE AIM MAGNETISM. This particular effects me as a Marksman man... because as soon as someone runs past your target, you are MADE to target them at least for a moment before having to switch back to your target (if you can even find them in the mindless masses). This annoyed the ever loving fuck out of me in Halo and it's back, better than ever in R2! It doesn't really seem to happen with the fareye much, but boy oh boy, does it ever happen with the Marksman. I didn't notice it much in R1 either. FIX THIS PLEASE.

Also, in co-op, can you make it where, once the room is full, the game automatically starts after like 15-20 seconds? I'm so tired of 7/10 matches having a totally AFK host.

Ploid 3.0

Rapping Granny said:
ah shit I just relized what I just said. 3 in the morning right now. oh well.

BTW I am not saying I want this to be COD4 or anything, I am just so used to that control scheme ever since COD2. everything else seems like shit to me in terms of controls.

I understand, it's just that people hate COD4 so much the thought of it being mentioned in the same breath as Resistance makes them angry. I'm all for comfort, an I liked COD4's controls. I just didn't like having run on the R3 or L3. That sucked, and good old R2 lets you change the controls how you see fit.

Ploid 3.0

My Arms Your Hearse said:
My left stick is actually in need of repair due to sprint being on L3 in Bad Company (you had to hold it down). It gets stuck in whatever direction it was last pushed.

My left stick was buggy too. I just removed the guts and put the guts of another controller in it (I had 2 bad Sixaxis controllers. The shells were cracked, and the analog rubber was torn up. Darn public PS3 setup).

so this would be my first Resistance experience. I played the multiplayer and absolutely hated it. I'm just not into pumping 100+ bullets into enemies and jumping tall buildings all over the place ala Unreal.

Is single player campaign all spacey/futuristic and exaggerated like the multiplayer? I am willing to give it a try and purchase if its a completely different worthwhile experience just for SP alone. I'm more of a tactical/kinda arcadey miltary type of FPS gamer like Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, etc., but I hate the space/futuristic shooters like Unreal, Doom, Quake FPS

Giant Robot said:
so this would be my first Resistance experience. I played the multiplayer and absolutely hated it. I'm just not into pumping 100+ bullets into enemies and jumping tall buildings all over the place ala Unreal. Is single player campaign all spacey/futuristic and exaggerated like the multiplayer? I am willing to give it a try and purchase if its a completely different worthwhile experience just for SP alone. I'm more of a tactical/kinda arcadey miltary type of FPS gamer like Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, etc...

Single player is better IMHO. There's still a lot of chaotic action, though.

Gattsu25

Banned
Giant Robot said:
I'm more of a tactical/kinda arcadey miltary type of FPS gamer like Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, etc., but I hate the space/futuristic shooters like Unreal, Doom, Quake FPS
I'll just save you the money upfront: Contrary to popular belief...Resistance; a game with 'alien' weaponry, machinery, architecture, and creatures; is a sci-fi FPS.

I know I know.

Shocking.

Rapping Granny said:

Zoom- L1
Grenade- L2

Jump- X
Reload- Square
Crouch - O
Change weapon- Triangle

L3- Sprint
R3- Mellee

So, after playing the Beta for maybe an hour, I'm fairly happy with the control layout, but if I change my setup at all I'm definitley doing it exactly how you've described it here. I do find i bizarre to have circle be the grenade toss button, while L2 (a button you use all the time) is crouch/sprint.

Gattsu25

Banned
DeceitDecide said:
So, after playing the Beta for maybe an hour, I'm fairly happy with the control layout, but if I change my setup at all I'm definitley doing it exactly how you've described it here. I do find i bizarre to have circle be the grenade toss button, while L2 (a button you use all the time) is crouch/sprint.
If R2 is anything like R1 then sprinting is a major aspect of the multiplayer. I used it more than I used grenades, at least (again, talking about the first game)

sun-drop

i managed to get it working, signing out of psn before launching into the game.

i dunno ..i'm kinda disapointed.

i so wish they had ripped off COD4 re the guns down to the pixel. not sure what it is .. maybe they are too big on the screen, don't wobble right ... argh ..not sure.

KZ2 seems to have it right. R1 and R2 just dont

co-op was fun the one time i tried it tho

shagg_187 said:
PSN invite or party invite?

Party invite:

- Press Triangle
- C... brb. let me confirm it exactly. It's fairly simple :p
not as simple as XBL, my friend and I were racking our brains trying to figure it out.

Johnkers

Froze the first time I booted it up, then I tried a game of deathmatch... didn't enjoy myself. i didn't really like Resistance 1 either, multiplayer or single.

Then I tried co-op and wow, MUCH better IMO. I had a lot of fun, 8 people and I was playing medic, a shit ton of enemies everywhere, constantly spraying/healing. Felt very large scale. There were even people on mics and everything.

My main complaint with it is that it doesn't feel quite "visceral". Shooting/movement just doesn't impress me in the same way it does in say... Gears of War or Call of Duty. Yes, I know it's not supposed to be just like those games.

As well as that, a lot of the enemies just stand around at the back shooting at you while you stand there shooting at them, very little tactics/strategy in place.

Either way, kind of reminds me of a Diablo-esque game without the loot. I look forward to playing more

I just got an extra beta code, first one to PM me gets it, and please if you already are in the beta dont PM me

Already given away so dont PM me lol

Eccocid

i tried it last night, and well wht can i say, in 60 player deathmatch game is surprisingly smooth but i didnt like the visuals, its neither realistic nor cartony its something stucked between R&C and Halo (well did it make any sense?).

Controls are tight which i liked, but it didnt wow me, damn they hyped this game a lot i was expecting something godly lol

Not sure what I think at the moment. The best thing I can say is that it hasn't turned me of getting the game but I'll be waiting for the reviews to hit.

I love the graphics in the subway and Chicago in general but the other two are a mixed bag. R2 won't do anything to bring in the COD4 crowd but there's nothing wrong with that.

Kuroyume

Banned
I played it again and tinkered around with some of the settings.

I first gave co-op a shot since you guys have been saying good things about it. I chose to be a medic and I couldn't figure out what the fuck I was supposed to do. It took like 5 minutes for the instructions to finally appear on my screen and by the time I figured out that R2 heals we had all died. I tried it again and had some success with a bunch of other random dudes but as we pushed on we became overwhelmed and died. I was able to unlock a new gun. I think I enjoyed it... I'm not quite sure.

I also tried a deathmatch game and managed to get that San Francisco map. I was having a bit of trouble with it at first. I went into the menu and changed the sensitivity settings. I first pulled it way down and realized it was way too slow, but I've managed to get it at a good spot. I may tinker around with it some more. The Marksman is a great weapon. It also looks cool too. Anyone know if mouse control works with the beta?

I have one gripe with the game and it's the shitty jumping. If I see a dude on my radar below me on San Francisco and I'm above him on a platform it's impossible to jump over the railing to go after him. That's really annoying.

Holy shit I am so sold on this game, and this is coming from someone who was not all that fond of the first one. The multiplayer aspect is amazing, especially the co-op. Halo and COD4 = Dethroned.

I just preordered it.

Gattsu25 said:
<(°.°<)

(>°.°)>

<(°.°<)

(>°.°)>

Well excuuuuse me, I don't do much multiplayer on the PS3. Once I got used to it it was fine. I'm just used to taking invites from the dashboard.

Rolf NB

It just happened to me again that a co-op mission would not end. After pulling four switches and defeating three alpha grims in the village area, we received a radio message "all command units eliminated, area secure, job well done", the match would just go on. But there'd be no new objective marker anywhere on the map, and nothing to do, except quit out of the match.

Another thing I noticed is that, again, the titan in the watery valley behind the steelhead encounter would get stuck in the wall. I joined the match late, and everyone else was already in the area, while I spawned back in the sawmill. What I found curious was that the titan was actually shooting at me, "through" the wall it was stuck in. This may be a hint that the odd behaviour is indeed triggered by party members running around on the other side, where the titan erratically "sees" them and picks them as targets.
He got unstuck after a while, after I joined up with the team. Gave us a good fight.

Co-op is much better when the titans are moving. Also, being the only spec ops in a team full of soldier who keep moving is really frustrating, especially when they keep rushing mindlessly.

Rolf NB

Giant Robot said:
so this would be my first Resistance experience. I played the multiplayer and absolutely hated it. I'm just not into pumping 100+ bullets into enemies and jumping tall buildings all over the place ala Unreal.
Sounds like you played Chicago alleys. Try Orrick, Team Deathmatch or Skirmish. Chicago subways is an amazing map, but even more "Unrealish", so maybe you'll still hate it. It doesn't have the extreme elevation stuff with jump pads, just two levels with a proper floor between them and a bunch of connecting stairs.

The closest thing to the original Resistance experience is IMO the San Francisco docks map.
Giant Robot said:
Is single player campaign all spacey/futuristic and exaggerated like the multiplayer? I am willing to give it a try and purchase if its a completely different worthwhile experience just for SP alone. I'm more of a tactical/kinda arcadey miltary type of FPS gamer like Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, etc., but I hate the space/futuristic shooters like Unreal, Doom, Quake FPS
You're fighting off aliens, so some level of sci-fi should be expected. If RFOM is anything to go by, most of the campaign takes place in normal Earth environments though, urban or otherwise, with just the bits towards the end going further down the rabbit hole.

Played some more and I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't buy it now.

Anyone else think the little ships flying around on the san francisco level look ridiculous?

The San Fransisco levels looks weird, if you look at the vista or the sky, it looks amazing. But everything else looks mediocre or average at best.

Been playing on and off for the past day and...

...umm

....uhh

I'm not feeling it, sorry =(
....but to be fair, I wasn't really ever into R1 MP either. It was the SP portion that I fell in love with

Darkpen

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Been playing on and off for the past day and...

...umm

....uhh

I'm not feeling it, sorry =(
....but to be fair, I wasn't really ever into R1 MP either. It was the SP portion that I fell in love with
yeah.

Personally, I don't really like the multiplayer, because it feels a bit too hectic like UT.

Arnie

So I have played about 5 hours of multiplayer and 1 Co-Op match and I LOVE IT.

I only finished 75% of Resistance 1 because my HDD broke so I lost all my save data. I tried the multiplayer but just couldn't get into it.

So going into Resistance 2 I was pleasently surprised. The multiplayer feels really smooth and the visuals look really nice. I think Orick 60 player is my favourite match, so many good moments. I like the squad elements but it can get quite annoying when you get shot dead from one of the 30 players rushing you at the start of a game.

In terms of the weapons, I love the marksman. It has such a satisfying feel to get a 3 shot burst on someone and to see the red exp above their heads.

Tried Co-op and I was instantly loving it. I was screaming as the Grims started getting really close to me and I was running out of ammo, eventually having to melee myself out of a corner before my buddies shot dead all the oncoming enemies. The boss's can be a tad silly, just 8 people plugging a load of bullets into a virtually harmless enemy. Although I assume this will be fixed come release.

So final thoughts, Insomniac have done a really good job.

Top Bottom