• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

milesthegreat

Neo Member
"The only difference between the cutscenes and in game is a little higher quality lighting and shadowing. "

Wasn't this a Naugthy Dog quote about Uncharted or did I miss JStevenson saying this...

jmd494

Maggot9 said:
that's because he looks generic too.
I'll respectfully disagree with you there. While he does have many similarities to the typical "game" character (i.e. bald army guy), he looks like an average person you'd see in real life.

Some combination of the high quality facial animation, skin shader, and color in his face makes him very believable.

FirewalkR

milesthegreat said:
"The only difference between the cutscenes and in game is a little higher quality lighting and shadowing. "

Wasn't this a Naugthy Dog quote about Uncharted or did I miss JStevenson saying this...

It was ND's.

Ploid 3.0

Plus the fact he's actually in the army, with standard looking army issue gear, and the cut hair (who in the army are allowed to have long flowing hair? That dude in CoD4 seemed odd with his long beard. He will probably get his throat slashed :(

test_account

XP-39C²
2 more .gifs (sorry for the not so good quality in the .gif files).

2zehsht.gif

2e4m2zb.gif

Ploid 3.0

test_account said:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2zehsht.gif

[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2e4m2zb.gif[/QUOTE]

Too much color
[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2cfeeso.jpg

(sarcasm)

Norml

DMPrince said:
Need a 720p version of the trailer ;(

Waiting for GT's bigger version now then i guess.

IGN has it if you have insider access. I got mine free for being a Comcast user, but not sure if that deal is still open.

Nizz

That was really cool! I love the bad ass Nathan Hale voice. He's leading a force that's trying to defend us from an alien race that wants to take over the planet. This is the kind of dude I want leading the charge, not the dude from Office Space with the red stapler...

Ploid 3.0

Yea, I like how in control he was. He was pretty much in control of things in R1 as well, but seeing him order the squad around was cool. "I said push froward!"

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
test_account said:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2zehsht.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2e4m2zb.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

WATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.gif
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.gif

deepbrown

jett said:
Weird if true, as the graphics between cut-scenes and gameplay look virtually indistinguishable to me
Wut? The graphics between cutscene and gameplay in Uncharted look almost identical.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yea, I like how in control he was. He was pretty much in control of things in R1 as well, but seeing him order the squad around was cool. "I said push froward!"
Generic. You could have know he was going to say that before he said it. Sounds like a cheesey American war movie. I miss the original (for games) British thing going on :(

ps. I like the colour...it's not generic at all. Looks great...as does the incredible lighting. Such a step up. Looks massive.

Ploid 3.0

In the future game developers won't have to upload media to "game journalists".

The industry will change. Dev Podcasts, Devs interviewing other devs, and devs showing off their own game. Game journalists will be giving comments on media released to the public, and beta's they got lucky enough to get in along with other gamers. With their bit of professional opinions, gamers who didn't have time, or get lucky to get into the beta will be see what the game is about.

The industry will change. Soulja Boy will become the top, and most respected game reviewer in the US. Everyone with a camera and access to the internet will be certified to review and preview games. A lot of developers will learn to only release awesome footage however, and Denis D. will release books on tape that teach devs how.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I'm going to preorder this tomorrow at the GameStop... anything I should know about how I should go about getting the beta code? I haven't been to work since 8/31 so I have no idea what's going on.

h3ro said:
Also, did anyone else think the trucks looked like they were floating when they first came around into view?

Yes. Sadly I don't think they will have time to address it.

I should add that everything else looked great and I'm really looking forward to playing this.

Ploid 3.0

Bearillusion said:
Yes. Sadly I don't think they will have time to address it.

It's just that the shadow on the pavement wasn't dark enough. But if everything is done, and their system don't take care of that, yea that would probably be a bit to correct/tweak.

jett

D-Member
deepbrown said:
Wut? The graphics between cutscene and gameplay in Uncharted look almost identical.

Yes..that's what I said?

And yeah Generic Hale is the most generic character this side of GenericVille. Generic. That crap voice with those cliche lines do not help him.

deepbrown

jett said:
Yes..that's what I said?

And yeah Generic Hale is the most generic character this side of GenericVille. Generic. That crap voice with those cliche lines do not help him.

Dum dee dum... :lol

Ploid 3.0

Although it's a game, and he's the main character, I think it's good that he don't stick out like a sore thumb. No red body vest, no uh spec ops mask with blue lights in the place of his gold eyes, no mohawk, and no glowing leg armor. Hale looks normal to me. That is what generic is though perhaps. Maybe they need generic then.

womfalcs3

Banned
One thing to add, videos should always be given to GameTrailers. I hate not being able to watch videos in HD because I "have to be a member".

deepbrown

Ploid 3.0 said:
Although it's a game, and he's the main character, I think it's good that he don't stick out like a sore thumb. No red body vest, no uh spec ops mask with blue lights in the place of his gold eyes, no mohawk, and no glowing leg armor. Hale looks normal to me. That is what generic is though perhaps. Maybe they need generic then.
No. When i say generic. I mean generic modern videogame protagonist. It worked in R1...because the environment and location felt new for a videogame. Plus Hale didn't speak then...so before he just had to look cool...now he has to make himself sound cool. It's the typical egotistic male American protagonist.

Look at Ratchet...a hairy animal with a robot friend. Not generic at all.

Anyway, I hope I'm going to be disproved. I just think the average consumer looking at the game on the shelf won't be able to differentiate between say...Resistance 2, Fracture and...Haze. To them...they'll all look the same.

milesthegreat

Neo Member
This to me.. and I'm not starting a 360 PS3 bash fest... is what makes PS3 exclusive games stand out above the rest.... the lighting. It's just superb.

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:
You get in during the Open Access Period of the beta. Premiere Access is for pre-orders/subscribers.

So those that pre-ordered the game are fubared?! Well, fuck if I'll go for a beta again and help companies improve their shit. I said it before and will say it again: the private beta people should be given a free pass into the next stage of the beta. We helped make the game better, for shits sake! :mad:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
ill be the first to say it: if this is indeed ingame - they reached killzone 2 level of gfx

---

where r2 exceeds k2 is in gore... just look at the third pic from the post above! i love it
and i like the fakt that the troups are no body building schwarzeneggers but more regular build guys.

(strange what i think about ... :| )

sankt-Antonio said:
ill be the first to say it: if this is indeed ingame - they reached killzone 2 level of gfx
It's ingame engine, but not real time. Lighting and motion blur won't be as good as that once it's in real time.

Syntek

Justin Dailey said:
I'll respectfully disagree with you there. While he does have many similarities to the typical "game" character (i.e. bald army guy), he looks like an average person you'd see in real life.

That's sorta the very definition of generic...ya know, the average joe.

cjtiger300 said:

well if he has a booty he would have more personality which make him different from all the other characters in a shooter. not too big not too small but enough to say "DAMN!"
and lol @ the gif. :lol

slider

Syntek said:

I think, although am very likely wrong, that generic comes from genus - so it's of a group. Hence all the bleating on various forums that things are "generic" - generic as in they've been seen all too often in this group. The group in this instance is "video game characters". And in them "the average joe" is outnumbered (if you believe the hype) by bald space marines.

So, yeah, I've contributed nothing except to say you're both right.

Word.

roMonster

That was interesting. Does anyone know if the public beta is going to be the final build of the game? I want to play it with all the 'make it pretty' stuff.

jmd494

slider said:
I think, although am very likely wrong, that generic comes from genus - so it's of a group. Hence all the bleating on various forums that things are "generic" - generic as in they've been seen all too often in this group. The group in this instance is "video game characters". And in them "the average joe" is outnumbered (if you believe the hype) by bald space marines.

So, yeah, I've contributed nothing except to say you're both right.

Word.
Yup...

roMonster said:
That was interesting. Does anyone know if the public beta is going to be the final build of the game? I want to play it with all the 'make it pretty' stuff.

Doubtful. They're putting it together at the moment, so they probably won't have time to implement all the final bells and whistles that go in over the course of the next couple weeks.

Maybe JS will be awesome and let us know for sure. Though it is still a beta, so there could be room for some last minute changes early on?

Either way, I'm sure the Public Beta build will look superb.

Awntawn

Syntek said:
The problem is the people trying to make this into a bad thing. The visual appearance of your main character does not have to be the single most iconic part of your sci-fi universe.

Pai Pai Master said:
Doubtful. They're putting it together at the moment, so they probably won't have time to implement all the final bells and whistles that go in over the course of the next couple weeks.

Maybe JS will be awesome and let us know for sure. Though it is still a beta, so there could be room for some last minute changes early on?

I'm sure that it will be very close to being finished. The game only releases in a month, afterall. It's pretty much content complete at this point, and they're just doing all of the last minute bug fixes and polishing.

I wouldn't expect any huge graphical changes, but you may see some slight easy to implement gameplay tweaks.

Top Bottom