• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Schrade

Norml said:
IGN has it if you have insider access. I got mine free for being a Comcast user, but not sure if that deal is still open.
Holy crap you're awesome! I never knew about that.

For those wondering how to get activate your IGN Founders' Account (to allow for HD downloads) and you're a Comcast user, just go here: http://www.comcast.net/gameinvasion/

Click on the "here" in this part on that page:

Comcast High-Speed Internet subscribers looking to activate an IGN Founders' Club account, can do so here.

FirewalkR

Sort of OT:

Regarding Uncharted's in-game vs cutscene graphics, the difference is noticeable exactly in both aspects they mentioned. You can clearly see the difference in shadow resolution, just look at some of the characters' close-ups, no flickery shadows anywhere. The lighting difference might be more difficult to see for some, but it's there. I think some effects like smoke were better too.

Now, as for this R2 intro, it seems to be their in-game engine with in-game assets. However, more AA and AF I guess, and the lighting/shadowing is cranked up to MAX. :D

FightyF

Banned
FirewalkR said:
Sort of OT:

Regarding Uncharted's in-game vs cutscene graphics, the difference is noticeable exactly in both aspects they mentioned. You can clearly see the difference in shadow resolution, just look at some of the characters' close-ups, no flickery shadows anywhere. The lighting difference might be more difficult to see for some, but it's there. I think some effects like smoke were better too.

Now, as for this R2 intro, it seems to be their in-game engine with in-game assets. However, more AA and AF I guess, and the lighting/shadowing is cranked up to MAX. :D

There is clearly motion blur as well in the cutscenes...or is that in the game as well?

As far as the vid goes, it looks pretty good, but it seems like they took any old clip from the game and turned it into a trailer. Without context it wasn't very interesting. The first trailer of the game showing Hale looking at the onslaught of the Chimera, it was pretty easy to figure out what was going on, and it was pretty interesting to see. "Hale and friends ambushed on a road going through a forest" isn't too terribly interesting, IMO. It's a good way to set up a level...but not a good way to build hype for a game release. The first trailer hit the nail on the head.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FightyF said:
There is clearly motion blur as well in the cutscenes...or is that in the game as well?
R1, if I remember correctly, didn't have any motion blur, and I can't say I remember seeing any in R2 gameplay videos I've seen so far.

Marconelly said:
R1, if I remember correctly, didn't have any motion blur, and I can't say I remember seeing any in R2 gameplay videos I've seen so far.
Even if the game has motion blur there's no way it's as good as the one in that cutscene.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
AranhaHunter said:
There's a book? I didn't know that, hopefully it'll be good and then they can make a movie adaptation of it.

Jason Statham as Hale.
(No Bruce Willis please)

ChryZ

The intro is nice, but I got a minor nitpick: there was way too much wild life ambience before all hell broke loose. Animals, birds, etc would sense the danger.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ChryZ said:
The intro is nice, but I got a minor nitpick: there was way too much wild life ambience before all hell broke loose. Animals, birds, etc would sense the danger.
Maybe is for a more dramatic setting. I like it.

ChryZ said:

:lol ahhh good way for me to start the day.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Pai Pai Master said:
Doubtful. They're putting it together at the moment, so they probably won't have time to implement all the final bells and whistles that go in over the course of the next couple weeks.

Maybe JS will be awesome and let us know for sure. Though it is still a beta, so there could be room for some last minute changes early on?

Either way, I'm sure the Public Beta build will look superb.

It'll be the final code that ships on the disk (or close to it) but we'll probably use the public beta tuning data and bug spotting to work on a Day 1 patch.

And to be fair, MP isn't going to look as good as SP does. It can't really when you have to deal with the much larger levels, number of models, and number of effects going off. That said, it still looks good... but not as mind-blowing as SP looks.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
FirewalkR said:
I like your choice of words.

Not mine words really... several journalists who played last night said it. :D

We had an awesome event (once our internet connection finally got working) and folks got to check out all three game modes including two full single-player levels.

In addition, we ran some eight-player co-op... Ted, Ryan, Bryan, Mike (lead competitive designer), Frank (our sr. producer), JSD (one of our awesome testers and forum admins) and I ran the first round... we were doing great until the last part of the level and got completely surrounded and devastated... everyone was gasping and laughing as we had this desperate firefight.

Anyways - lots of fun had by all. We're going to NYC to show all of this stuff to the journalists on that side of the country, and then you'll see coverage on all of your favorite sites, including direct-feed gameplay, screens etc.

jstevenson said:

We had an awesome event (once our internet connection finally got working) and folks got to check out all three game modes including two full single-player levels.

In addition, we ran some eight-player co-op... Ted, Ryan, Bryan, Mike (lead competitive designer), Frank (our sr. producer), JSD (one of our awesome testers and forum admins) and I ran the first round... we were doing great until the last part of the level and got completely surrounded and devastated... everyone was gasping and laughing as we had this desperate firefight.

Anyways - lots of fun had by all. We're going to NYC to show all of this stuff to the journalists on that side of the country, and then you'll see coverage on all of your favorite sites, including direct-feed gameplay, screens etc.
Awesome.

When exactly is the NYC event?

Fersis

jstevenson said:

Nice.
R2 is a day one for me... well i doubt it since i live on a forgotten country :'( .
But i will buy it . It will be mine...

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:

Awesome. So, WTF is happening with the beta code up here in Canada? How come we keep being told by EB "we don't have any" or "what are you talking about" ? I've even started thinking the bastards at that chain are planning on hording the codes for themselves.

BTW, why are you even partnering with them? Most of can't stand the sales tactics those turds use.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
M3Freak said:
Awesome. So, WTF is happening with the beta code up here in Canada? How come we keep being told by EB "we don't have any" or "what are you talking about" ? I've even started thinking the bastards at that chain are planning on hording the codes for themselves.

BTW, why are you even partnering with them? Most of can't stand the sales tactics those turds use.

Not really sure to be honest exactly WHAT is going on... though I heard again today that more folks on MyRes got physical vouchers at their local Gamestop stores. YMMV. And since we're partnering with Gamestop (so says the vouchers) not sure if that means EB gets them.

If EB Games/Gamestop share the same phone customer service, you might be able to use them + a receipt for a pre-order to get a code e-mailed, again YMMV.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just found out that Sony sent me a new PS3 yesterday so I'll be all set for the beta. :D My first beta and first taste of R2, I'm pumped. Anyone know the exact date it's starting or has that even been finalized?

Tideas

Banned
jstevenson said:

where in the east coast? i'm in DC

Aeon712

jstevenson said:

Pffft, Me, Efert, Sutdawg, Bob, Kitton, M3, Carek, Queeg wouldn't have been devastated.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Aeon712 said:
Pffft, Me, Efert, Sutdawg, Bob, Kitton, M3, Carek, Queeg wouldn't have been devastated.

We even knew it was coming, but it still didn't matter. Sqweak and I were the last two standing, and for me it was only due to my Ring of Life Beserk.

Tideas said:
where in the east coast? i'm in DC

Re-read the post you just quoted.....

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:
Not really sure to be honest exactly WHAT is going on... though I heard again today that more folks on MyRes got physical vouchers at their local Gamestop stores. YMMV. And since we're partnering with Gamestop (so says the vouchers) not sure if that means EB gets them.

If EB Games/Gamestop share the same phone customer service, you might be able to use them + a receipt for a pre-order to get a code e-mailed, again YMMV.

Shit. So, I gave EB $10 early because I thought that they'd get the beta code since Gamestop owns EB Canada too.

I'm not picking Qore just for a beta. I'd rather wait than do that. I'm sitll holding out for a special invite to all former private beta invitees, but I guess that won't be happening either.

Fersis

Anyone knows if 'Ted's Playground' is gonna be on R2 ?

Tideas

Banned
jstevenson said:
We even knew it was coming, but it still didn't matter. Sqweak and I were the last two standing, and for me it was only due to my Ring of Life Beserk.

Re-read the post you just quoted.....

hah, i meant, where as in "where" in NYC and when

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
M3Freak said:
I'm sitll holding out for a special invite to all former private beta invitees, but I guess that won't be happening either.

Never know... don't want to promise it because of how crazy things went with the private beta...

this and crysis warhead are the fps I can't wait to play this year... we will see about far cry 2... Fallout 3 is an rpg so I dont count that in the same bracket

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:
Never know... don't want to promise it because of how crazy things went with the private beta...

BTW, what did you guys think of the GAF clan guys that posted, especially Kittonwy's post and my massive post? I've wondered if anybody ever read what I wrote. :)

Fersis

Firewire said:
Just called EB asking about beta codes.

The guy asked me if Resistance 2 was for the Xbox360! I hung up.

EB sux.
wow, i can feel your anger.

M3Freak

Banned
Firewire said:
Just called EB asking about beta codes.

The guy asked me if Resistance 2 was for the Xbox360! I hung up.

EB sux.

Holy shits. You know, same thing happened to me. I went in to pre-order, and the girl behind the counter is like "is that for the 360?" I hate them with a passion. I buy my shit there once in a while. I'd rather go to Future Shop, Best Buy, Zellers, Toys R Us...just about anywhere else.

Firewire

Banned
Aeon712 said:

wtf!

What about me? You guys would accomplish nothing without you're trusted decoy! :lol

Firewire said:
wtf!

What about me? You guys would accomplish nothing without you're trusted decoy! :lol
Sorry, but Queeg is on permanent decoy. He's the inventor of the 'rushing medic' technique, where the guy with the lowest health and no shield throws his corpse at the enemy.

Top Bottom