• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Firewire

Banned
jstevenson said:
You get in during the Open Access Period of the beta. Premiere Access is for pre-orders/subscribers.

So premiere access gets in earlier with an annual subscription? If so I'll get the annual subscription to Qore today!

Firewire said:
JS:

In today's Full Moon Show you mention that the beta is available to Qore annual subscribers! If I only have episode 3 am I screwed?
"available to Qore annual subscribers" as in... right now? :eek:

yawn1.jpg

Sigh....another cock tease. :lol

The lighting and animation looked fantastic.

The dialogue seemed a bit cheesey, not sure how I feel about Nathan Hale's voice acting....but it wasn't awful.

The soundtrack also seemed serviceable, but I'm not seeing the major improvements I wanted to see in that arena.

Guled said:
looks nice, but I was hoping for some gameplay

also, is that an ingame cinimatic, or cg?

It's in-game, though maybe not real-time as they capture it to a a video format in order to hide loading.

But it is using all in-game assets and running off the engine. No CG or anything.

thuway

Private Hoffman said:
Sigh....another cock tease. :lol

The lighting and animation looked fantastic.

The dialogue seemed a bit cheesey, not sure how I feel about Nathan Hale's voice acting....but it wasn't awful.

The soundtrack also seemed serviceable, but I'm not seeing the major improvements I wanted to see in that arena.
Don't even hate on the soundtrack and the story. You've played the first. You know it will be sex.

Goldrusher

"Oh no, enemies. I'll just keep standing here in the middle of all the bullets." :lol

Looks very nice though. Great lighting.

h3ro

I'm assuming that the Bluetooth headsets are derived from Chimeran technology... :p

Also, did anyone else think the trucks looked like they were floating when they first came around into view?

Guled

Private Hoffman said:
It's in-game, though maybe not real-time as they capture it to a a video format in order to hide loading.

But it is using all in-game assets and running off the engine. No CG or anything.
thats what I thought, just like Uncharted right. Anyway, I like the new direction the story is going. But when are we going to see some new gameplay videos?
Kagari said:
It looks okay, I guess...
:lol

Trevelyan

Banned
thuway said:
Don't even hate on the soundtrack and the story. You've played the first. You know it will be sex.
Story was great... soundtrack not so much. It was alright, but nothing memorable like Halo 3's soundtrack. I really hope the soundtrack pulls through, as I'm much more an aural gamer than I am a visual one.

As far as the video, it really does look incredible. I love all the gore. Definitely much more mature than the first. Awesome stuff.

BeeDog

Are people using this as an indicator of the ingame graphics? Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and even the first game should've told you not to.

thuway said:

Well, TBH, while I loved the first game in terms of the gameplay, diversity of locations, enemies, weapons, etc....

The story/soundtrack were lackluster, and it seems to be a continuing theme with a lot of Insomniac games in terms of underwhelming, generic soundtracks.

I was hoping R2 would have a better score -- more iconic, like something from Halo or even Gears -- but I haven't heard any magic yet.

The story of the first could have also used a ton of improvement, though to Insomniac's credit they have taken tremendous strides in improving this area, as the current video clearly showcases some great production values and cinematics.

BeeDog said:
Are people using this as an indicator of the ingame graphics? Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and even the first game should've told you not to.

You can scratch HS out of that list since it uses very techniques, including CG. But the others simply use recorded real time video so that they can hide loading times. So why shouldn't we use it as an indicator?

Trevelyan said:
Story was great... soundtrack not so much. It was alright, but nothing memorable like Halo 3's soundtrack. I really hope the soundtrack pulls through, as I'm much more an aural gamer than I am a visual one.

As far as the video, it really does look incredible. I love all the gore. Definitely much more mature than the first. Awesome stuff.

Sound in videogames is so underrated. Halo would have lost a significant amount of its charm without those memorable tunes...

I was really hoping for a better score for R2...it certainly deserves better than what the first delivered.

Also, *sigh*, but it also sounds as though they are not orchestrating any of the tracks in R2 that I've heard of so far. They're still sticking to those synthetic (cheap) sounding instruments rather than real ones.

The difference in soundtrack quality between this and KZ2 is staggering so far, but I'll keep my hopes up for the final product.

BeeDog

SolidSnakex said:
You can scratch HS out of that list since it uses very techniques, including CG. But the others simply use recorded real time video so that they can hide loading times. So why shouldn't we use it as an indicator?

Because both Uncharted and especially Resistance had touched-up videos; if I remember correctly, motion blur and other postprocessing-like effects were added in the videos, and the character models were much more detailed. Uncharted wasn't so radically different, but the character models certainly were more detailed.

Ceb

From the video, it definitely sounds like R2 keeps the generic military march-style music that passed by unnoticed in the first game. Let's hope the ambient tracks for the more alien environments will be better.

Trevelyan

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Sound in videogames is so underrated. Halo would have lost a significant amount of its charm without those memorable tunes...

I was really hoping for a better score for R2...it certainly deserves better than what the first delivered.
Definitely agree. I have confidence the soundtrack will come together and create something truly special though.

But the sound effects were really well done though. From the sounds of the forest to the rustle of their equipment and their footsteps, everything sounded really fucking awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Speaking of soundtracks, I really hope that the piece from the beginning of today's Full Moon Show is going to be in R2. It was similar to the military march style but with a lot more going on. Also, the new Bullseye sound is way better than the "Pew Pew" from the first game.

BeeDog said:
Because both Uncharted and especially Resistance had touched-up videos; if I remember correctly, motion blur and other postprocessing-like effects were added in the videos, and the character models were much more detailed. Uncharted wasn't so radically different, but the character models certainly were more detailed.

The character model part isn't true when it comes to Uncharted.

Patrick: The characters in Uncharted are some of the most impressive video game models to date. They look even more impressive up close in the cutscenes. Are the in-game models any different from the cutscene models?

Richard: Thanks! Nope, the in game models are the exact same models that are used in the cutscenes. They also use the exact same textures. There really is no difference between them at all.
The only difference between the cutscenes and in game is a little higher quality lighting and shadowing. Hopefully not too noticeably different. We really wanted to keep the players immersed as much as possible. This meant using the same assets across the board.

http://www.ripten.com/2008/01/17/ri...iew-part-1-background-and-character-creation/

For the most part though, as you can see from that quote, the cutscene graphics are meant to give you an indication of the in-game graphics.

Kittonwy

Banned
BeeDog said:

They use the same in-game character models in UNCHARTED!!!111!!! cutscenes, if you've ever zoomed in on Elena with the sniper rifle you would know.
angry.gif

slider

Trevelyan said:
Definitely agree. I have confidence the soundtrack will come together and create something truly special though.

But the sound effects were really well done though. From the sounds of the forest to the rustle of their equipment and their footsteps, everything sounded really fucking awesome.

Coincidentally, there was a lot of focus on audio in the Full Moon podcast today. Not so much detail but... er, focus.

thuway

That video was total sex. My biggest issue with Resistance was the textures, and I think they have completely fixed that. As well as added insane lighting, animation, and we have yet to see any of the new water tech :D.

lupinko

Firewire said:
When I changed my regular preorder to the CE at EB I asked about the beta codes. They said that was for the U.S only. In other words they know nothing about it as usual.

Get Qore episode 3, its the only way to get in for sure I bet.

I asked my local Ebgames today, but the clerk gave me a different response and that they didn't receive anything yet. I also asked if it was to be done via email or by registration card that would be handed out like Socom, but nothing is in their computers and no response from head office yet. =/

Kittonwy

Banned
The cutscene looks pretty good, I would have chosen to have the game go into first-person gameplay that lets you look around the moment Hale gets off the truck and then seeing the spec ops go down in real-time though.
angry.gif

thuway said:
That video was total sex. My biggest issue with Resistance was the textures, and I think they have completely fixed that. As well as added insane lighting, animation, and we have yet to see any of the new water tech :D.

Well we've seen some of the water tech before in the san francisco level. it looks phenomenal.

thuway

Didn't the Full Moon Show say they were going to show off a ton of new footage by this time next week? You guys will have it by than. This is a good tease until than.

Private Hoffman said:
Well we've seen some of the water tech before in the san francisco level. it looks phenomenal.

Yeah, but what Ted has described recently sounds awesome.

But one improvement I think everyone will notice is our new water. It's refractive, reflective, and can be tuned to create anything from muddy swamp water to a crystal clear Caribbean shoreline. It's fully interactive--meaning characters create very believable ripples and waves as they move around in it.

One of my favorite moments in the game takes place in a flooded area of Twin Falls, Idaho, where around 20 submerged leapers rush the player. All of the leapers are creating ripples, which interact with each other, something that's incredibly hard to program, especially if you want the game to run fast. It's also easy to get distracted by how cool the water looks while you're getting chewed up by the leapers

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/resistance2/news.html?sid=6197590&mode=previews&page=2

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
actually we did orchestrate some of the score and used a new composer, I would say we put a big emphasis on it and you'll hear more soon

thuway

jstevenson said:
actually we did orchestrate some of the score and used a new composer, I would say we put a big emphasis on it and you'll hear more soon

Can you comment on the graphical quality from the in game cutscenes to the actual gameplay?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The quality improvement from R:FOM to R2 is amazing.
I bought R:FOM just a month ago ,real good gameplay ,and last week i bought Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, Insomniac has probably the best production line i ever saw, 3 AAA games on 3 years .
Insomniac delivers :D

Top Bottom