• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Rolf NB

I don't get the audio complaints. Carbine, bullseye and marksman all sound fine to me. I'm using headphones and have configured the audio for that. If you have issues with the audio, check that the configuration matches your speaker setup. Do not set it to surround when you only have stereo or 2.1 speakers.
JaCk BuRtOn said:
Matchmaking is failing on me every time ..... server problems ???
Do not pick "Play". Pick "Find game".
dralla said:
It's really just a stress test for the servers, don't expect any big changes.
Nah. The game has definitely changed over the course of the past few days, both in co-op and in competitive. Boss behaviour was changed, boss health was toned down, yesterday I've seen a stalker now replaces that one titan that has been notorious for getting stuck in the wall and lots of other little changes here and there.

In competitive the spawn system has drastically changed, I think the frequency of drops of secondary ammo has been toned down a lot as well.

Loudninja

bcn-ron said:
I don't get the audio complaints. Carbine, bullseye and marksman all sound fine to me. I'm using headphones and have configured the audio for that. If you have issues with the audio, check that the configuration matches your speaker setup. Do not set it to surround when you only have stereo or 2.1 speakers.
Do not pick "Play". Pick "Find game".Nah. The game has definitely changed over the course of the past few days, both in co-op and in competitive. Boss behaviour was changed, boss health was toned down, yesterday I've seen a stalker now replaces that one titan that has been notorious for getting stuck in the wall and lots of other little changes here and there.

In competitive the spawn system has drastically changed, I think the frequency of drops of secondary ammo has been toned down a lot as well.

Yep I notice all of those change, so please don't say they are not change stuff, when in fact they did.
Do not pick "Play". Pick "Find game".

Still not working for me,cant create a game either :(

Rolf NB

dralla said:
1. Iron sights. The iron sights are completely useless and/or broken. The purpose of them is to make aiming easier by slowing down the sensitivity and decreasing the bullet spray. But in R2 neither of these things happen, the sensitivity is the same as off-the-hip aiming and the bullets still spray out of control. To back these complaints up just try it out with your Magnum, the thing moves maybe an inch to the center of the screen, doesn't zoom in any further, and fires exactly the same way as off-the-hip. Also, not every gun even has them. Why does the Bullock have that sight on it if you can't even use it!?
Dude. It's different per weapon. You may have noticed that the magnum is a handgun. It just isn't supposed to zoom. Try the iron sights on the carbine or bullseye, and then check out the marksman and far eye for real close ups.

You're also wrong about the aiming sensitivity staying the same when iron-sighting.
You're also wrong about the bullet spread staying the same when iron-sighting.

Get it right.

Took me almost half an hour to find an open game.

BTW is there some type of lobby system? because I tried inviting Loudninja, but didn't know if he joined or if denied it.

gogogow

bcn-ron said:
Dude. It's different per weapon. You may have noticed that the magnum is a handgun. It just isn't supposed to zoom. Try the iron sights on the carbine or bullseye, and then check out the marksman and far eye for real close ups.

You're also wrong about the aiming sensitivity staying the same when iron-sighting.
You're also wrong about the bullet spread staying the same when iron-sighting.

Get it right.
But it doesn't zoom in as much as Resistance 1 (with carbine/marksman). Making it not so useful as in R1, or not useful at all actually.

I also don't like how they changed the controls. They were pretty much perfect imo in R1.
Hope they can be customized.

Loudninja

Rapping Granny said:
Took me almost half an hour to find an open game.

BTW is there some type of lobby system? because I tried inviting Loudninja, but didn't know if he joined or if denied it.

Ha sorry ,didn't see anything,I would have join :)

gogogow said:
But it doesn't zoom in as much as Resistance 1 (with carbine/marksman). Making it not so useful as in R1, or not useful at all actually.

I also don't like how they changed the controls. They were pretty much perfect imo in R1.

You can fully customize the controls in the beta. Just change the control type to Custom Controls and hit Square, or something like that.

Yeah I just ranked #1 for my team the whole 40 man skirmish and was still bored. I just don't like it. The co-op seems boring as well. I'm going to pass.

spwolf

miyamotofreak said:
Yeah I just ranked #1 for my team the whole 40 man skirmish and was still bored. I just don't like it. The co-op seems boring as well. I'm going to pass.

thank you for englightning us with your opinion... bye bye...

GodofWine

dralla said:
1. Iron sights. The iron sights are completely useless and/or broken. The purpose of them is to make aiming easier by slowing down the sensitivity and decreasing the bullet spray. But in R2 neither of these things happen, the sensitivity is the same as off-the-hip aiming and the bullets still spray out of control. To back these complaints up just try it out with your Magnum, the thing moves maybe an inch to the center of the screen, doesn't zoom in any further, and fires exactly the same way as off-the-hip. Also, not every gun even has them. Why does the Bullock have that sight on it if you can't even use it!?

You cannot hold a magnum up closely to your eye...nor can you hold a grenade launcher to your shoulder and aim...this seems right to me.

I did agree with some of your other stuff though..spawn points especially, though I think they are tightening them up.

gogogow

Pai Pai Master said:
You can fully customize the controls in the beta. Just change the control type to Custom Controls and hit Square, or something like that.
Thanks will try that. I'm only in the beta for 2 days.

Didn't really like the game the first time I tried it. Felt it was even more chaotic than the first one. Today played again, played 12 rounds of that "generator" game. It got better and better, the game is really growing on me.

The graphics are nice and IG addressed the texture problem, but the LOD was pretty obvious in some instances. Lighting and shadows are still pretty weak, but already improved compared to the first one.

Loudninja said:
DAMMIT I cant join a single game.

There've been a lot of people joining the beta in the last couple days and it's unlikely they have the same amount of time to work on the servers during the weekend. We'll probably see some server reboots tomorrow that'll ease things up.

Loudninja

Pai Pai Master said:
There've been a lot of people joining the beta in the last couple days and it's unlikely they have the same amount of time to work on the servers during the weekend. We'll probably see some server reboots tomorrow that'll ease things up.

Ok than. :)

SappYoda

I would like to try the beta too... Are they going to give more beta codes?

If not, I will be eternally grateful to someone that gives me a code. Thanks.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Ugh, no. I played R1 on and off for a year. I never made any post about not ever playing it again. I just moved on.

Gears was broken AS A GAME. It COULD be fun, but the host advantage and other netcode issues made it a completel nightmare. I've never seen an online game with netcode that bad, made worse when you consider the developer. Also, TONS of bugs.

Aim Magnetism is one of my biggest pet peeves (it's pretty horrible in Halo 3 as well). It's unforgivably stupid, especially when THERE ARE SIXTY PEOPLE IN A GAME. It's a herculean feat trying to actually only shoot at once person since if anyone else passes by or gets close to your target your aim is magically whisked away to them. Hell, it's a nightmare in 10 man matches if you're using the Marksman.

I can't help it if console shooters continue to be retarded in this department. Here's hoping to better netcode in Gears 2 and a decent aiming mechanism in Killzone 2.
:D :D :D :D :D

None of that auto-aim magnetism bullshit. And if it is there, it's very minor.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
UntoldDreams said:
There's some truth to what you are saying. That being said you cannot remove the word "Beta" and rewrite it as Demo. You just can't.

Keep in mind that in the realm of online gaming & patching its not too late to provide feedback and receive changes to the gameplay.

Frankly, by having the word "BETA" in it means quite honestly they are probably listening to feedback on the Resistance Website.
Right? Take that for what its worth and go contribute to fixing what is wrong.

But once again it's gold. The only thing they can fix is in incremental updates, not something substantial on the disc. I said it before I'll say it again... this excuse will be null when the game is out. I hope I'm wrong I really do. That being said I'm still enjoying it thoroughly, but to say it's not rough around the edges is ridiculous, just IMO.

I seriously can't wait for this thread to get locked down.
Jeez, just change the thread title to Killzone 2 Beta bragging thread of "HAHA I GOT IN AND YOU DIDN'T!!". Oh and Jstevenson posts here.

Rolf NB

gogogow said:
And yet, it's extremely hard to drop anyone with a carbine without using the iron sights. Maybe not in "high weapon damage" modes, but it's an advantage either way. It extends the effective range of the weapon.
It's definitely not the same game as Resistance 1, and I am mildly offended by the abandonment of the original philosophy as well, but we're really not getting anywhere if we can't get over that and focus on how fun or not fun this new game is now.

To me, the weapon zoom in R1 was more of a tool that only existed to make aiming easier, as it allowed you to play with very high sensitivity and engage the zoom when you needed to make smaller adjustments. However, the actual function of the weapon did not change. The bullets still spread the same way. That's no longer the case.
Iron-sighting now is a real improvement to bullet accuracy on many of the weapons, and you're also making big tradeoffs in movement speed for that.

gogogow said:
I'm a bit annoyed as well. I wanted melee on triangle and a dedicated button for the sprint. Clicking sticks is such a last resort. Too few buttons I guess. I hope they get rid of the explicit sprint in the next game.

msdstc said:
But once again it's gold. The only thing they can fix is in incremental updates, not something substantial on the disc. I said it before I'll say it again... this excuse will be null when the game is out. I hope I'm wrong I really do. That being said I'm still enjoying it thoroughly, but to say it's not rough around the edges is ridiculous, just IMO.

The team is using this beta's feedback and is working on a day-one patch with tweaks and adjustments. They may not fit everything in with the first patch but it's not like the public beta is useless for feedback until months after release.

bcn-ron said:
I'm a bit annoyed as well. I wanted melee on triangle and a dedicated button for the sprint. Clicking sticks is such a last resort. Too few buttons I guess. I hope they get rid of the explicit sprint in the next game.

And just like you can customize the controls in the beta, you can separate Sprint from Crouch and stick them on whatever buttons you please.

Rolf NB

msdstc said:
But once again it's gold.
It's the online portion of the game. You will be forced to install a patch when you attempt to play it online. If you somehow had no way to download a patch, you also have no way to play the game, so you wouldn't care.

As they say in Coca Cola Presents New Zanzibar, once again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Did anyone else just get a Gamestop call telling them that R2 is going to be available this Tuesday? That's just a mistake, right?

Rolf NB

Pai Pai Master said:
And just like you can customize the controls in the beta, you can separate Sprint from Crouch and stick them on whatever buttons you please.
Yeah, I know, that's what I have. I've kept melee on R3, crouch on L3, sprint on L2. Essentially the default layout with the option to separate sprint from crouch.
I can play it that way, more or less, I'm just having trouble getting my melee hits in reliably but that's okay.

I only feel they've missed the opportunity to remove sprinting and free up a button. Aiming and firing already limit your movement speed, there's no stamina either, so there really is no more point in having it IMO. Whenever you neither shoot nor crouch, why would you not want to sprint?

Lince

Banned
I'm digging cooperative gameplay so far, but I don't get the point in having to nail 1,000 bullets just to kill a regular opponent, it is just not fun but I believe in Insomniac, one of my fav developers. Oh, and the graphics are awesome considering the stuff happening on and off-screen at the same time, no other PS3 engine could do it.

Guled

Like people have said, the AI in coop gets smarter as you level up, other then that most of the complaint of this thread are that this isn't R1. O well, just hope that all this stupid Killzone talk is not in the OT. Anyway, when is that going up?

This thread is depressing me.

For what it is worth, I pretty much love most of the changes and find this MP experience to be much better than R1.

DrPirate

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
This thread is depressing me.

For what it is worth, I pretty much love most of the changes and find this MP experience to be much better than R1.

You're not alone.

Crybabies in this thread are actually embarassing.

Bu bu bu....I CAN'T MELEE WITH TRIANGLE IT SWITCHES WEAPONS WAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

My God people, cry more. I love switching weapons with triangle as opposed to a shoulder button. As a matter of fact, I hated it when I had to switch weapons with R2.

Guled said:
Like people have said, the AI in coop gets smarter as you level up, other then that most of the complaint of this thread are that this isn't R1. O well, just hope that all this stupid Killzone talk is not in the OT. Anyway, when is that going up?

Exactly... If it played and felt like R1, I would not have been even half as excited. I loved R1 for it's single player, story and concepts. R2 takes what I love about the first so much, and pacakges it with a new amazing gameplay experience and solid controls to boot. Because of the beta, I'm not even getting LittleBigPlanet, I'll just play this until Infamous comes out.

Kyoufu

I like this alot, except I hate the L1 scope thing. In COD4 there was a smooth transition (complete with an animation) from normal stance to the scope, whereas in R2 its just instant.............eeeeeeeeeergh.

Pretty damn good though!

TEH-CJ

Banned
Holy shit at this thread

as much as i loved the 1st resistance, it doesn't even come close to the 2nd. R2 is a better game in ever aspect.

M3Freak

Banned
oneHeero said:
Lots of talks about random ppl being able to just kill you and no separation between good players and non skilled players.

This is a typical game for me on Chicago 40p. IF a few other friends are playing with me, the game only becomes more lopsided.

This is carbine only, that is all I used.

img439.jpg
[/IMG]

If that's not ranked, then it means shit.

M3Freak

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
I humbly request to those of you who think you're important enough to deem R2 as you have: post your damn opinions and some worthwhile feedback in the actual beta forums. I don't see any of you doing that.

Some of us did during the private beta. A few of our concerns were fixed, the rest were either ignored or slightly modified. That's enough for me. I'm not going to post their anymore (about the "beta").

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TEH-CJ said:
Holy shit at this thread

as much as i loved the 1st resistance, it doesn't even come close to the 2nd. R2 is a better game in ever aspect.
Yeah, it's basically the same situation as it was with Smash Bros. Brawl. The sequel to a game that was rushed for launch is way more polished but different so the old fans cry about it. In both cases I've thought the newer installment is much better than the previous one. With Resistance 1 I was much more of a fan of the Campaign than the multiplayer anyway and the beta for R2 has sold me on its multiplayer. I'm sure if the online component is this strong then the Campaign will truly be something special.

JB1981

bcn-ron said:
And yet, it's extremely hard to drop anyone with a carbine without using the iron sights.

Bullshit. Carbine iron sight is shit. I drop people all the time shooting from the hip.

And BTW Hulkasmok: great post.

Loudninja

M3Freak said:
Some of us did during the private beta. A few of our concerns were fixed, the rest were either ignored or slightly modified. That's enough for me. I'm not going to post their anymore (about the "beta").

Well don't aspect nothing to get fix than.

oneHeero

M3Freak said:
If that's not ranked, then it means shit.
I wish I could get into rank games.

If you want I dont mind smacking you and the rest of the gaf clan up lol. Dont talk to me about rank/custom games being meaningful.
The gaf clan played ranked on r1 while we made customs and played with no 40s, no shotties, no chimera, no tagging, no laarks. Your ranked games meant shit as well :\ There were no bs kills in our games since there were no 40s and no tagging like bitches because one couldnt aim(sometimes we had tags on).

I'm a competitor first, not that gbing makes me better than anyone else, but it should show that I play to win and get better. I could boast bout our gb record on r1 or the tournament we won etc, but I guess that doesnt matter since it isnt a ranked game lol.

Like there are better players than there are in customs. I dont join the high dmg games either, I think thats dumb but to each their own.

Top Bottom