• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
AgentOtaku said:
Can't reiterate JUST HOW FUCKING GOOD THE CONTROLS ARE !!!

Been playing some more just regular 10 player count TDM ....and I'm enjoying it alot more now :D

Yeah I've been playing quite a bit tonight both types. There are a few things still that get me really frusutrated, but over all I'm absolutely loving it. The only thing is though, I love the DM, and TDM... I don't think anything in this game could match CTF on the old maps. They should bring back some old maps in an update or something, or at least include the old style CTF rather than core control, not a huge fan.

Also some tweaks

- reload time on the fareye
- tone down the splicer, people are spamming them in the subway
- the bellock is surprisingly balanced
- I dunno if this is just me, but that half damage perk is infuriating for me.

And one last big suggestion tat probably can't work. In the sub docks remove that area, where you could glitch to before, it's the middle layer in between the stuff above, can't explain it. People sit up there and just camp, it's a hard place to get to and I don't think it should remain there.

chimster

oneHeero said:
This a montage a friend of mine made. This is basic rules, no adjusting health regen or any of that shit.
These are the type of people I play with. To say that this game doesnt allow for people to be distinguished skill-wise is retarded. Butta was great in r1, in cod4 and proving to be a beast on r2 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfF-EopAFJY&fmt=6

I suggest everyone watches it, it has great transitions and I really enjoyed watching it.

wow just wow

Fareye needs to be tweaked. Yeah, it doesn't have alternate fire but that doesn't mean it should be powerful like fuck. In the deathmatch map (don't remember the name. sorry), there is ALWAYS a damn sniper camping on the balcony (one which precedes a ramp, bus, air jump etc etc).

Fareye reload time, Rossmore power and Splicer in subways are the three most necessary changes, I think. Ricochet damage on the splicer should be toned down severely because it's just broken on subways. People spam it like hell and you don't stand a chance.

Somnia

Pai Pai Master said:
Gamestop's not doing midnight launches, right? I've got class in the morning so I probably would be better off without one.

As of now none of my stores in town are. There might be a few, but not many probably. We have a ton of midnight launch's within a 2 week span so something had to give and R2 was probably it.

I think my only criticism right now has to be the maps ...specifically Chicago Subway and Orick ....they're just....boring, dull and their layout/design just feels rudimentary =(

Especially Chicago Subway which gave me PDZ vibes

The problem with toning down the Splicer is... outside of Subways... it's probably the weakest gun in the game. Maybe they shouldn't (seemingly) HOME IN so much in tight spaces.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have a feeling the Splicer will be amazing in the singleplayer campaign.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
The problem with toning down the Splicer is... outside of Subways... it's probably the weakest gun in the game. Maybe they shouldn't (seemingly) HOME IN so much in tight spaces.

It easily the best gun to get the jump on someone with. When you're going head to head with someone though, you're better off using your magnum or dropping it for one of the rifles.

Outside of subways, you don't rely on ricochets as much. Tone down the ricochet damage and it's still pretty powerful when you're aiming directly at someone. It should be effective at clearing out a room but it shouldn't be unstoppable like it is when you can mindlessly blast sawblades into a small area and decimate everyone in your path.

Dante

Wooo! I love Skirmish! I can usually finish pretty high on there. LOVE IT!

THis and LBP is my fav combo of games to simultaneously play together since, FF10 and Jet Set Radio 2

teepo

TEH-CJ said:
Oh man i cant wait to play thought the single player campaign!. Playing the san fran level and watching in awe as the chimera motherships hover above the city really gets me hyped for the campaign!. and im sure thats only the tip of the iceberg compared to other amazing things we will see in other levels.

i can't even imagine how they'll top it.

I'm just dissapointed that despite good intentions with the high player count/skirmish concept, overall it's still devolves, imo, into the same old problem of spawning then dying 8-10seconds later because your just engulfed with other players ....no room to breath or plan, just shoot shoot die!

Dante

AgentOtaku said:
I'm just dissapointed that despite good intentions with the high player count/skirmish concept, overall it's still devolves, imo, into the same old problem of spawning then dying 8-10seconds later but your just engulfed with in other players ....no room to breath or plan, just shoot shoot die!

Diff strokes I guess...I love how hectic it is.

Dante said:
Diff strokes I guess...I love how hectic it is.

That's cool ....it's just feels too shallow and chaotic for me. I honestly think it's due to the map design though ....I don't know if it's hardware limitation or intended design, but it's a mess. I could totally see this mode working in a more traditionally laid out, say BF:Bad Company style map. Thing is though, I know that probably wouldn't happen for obvious reasons

Acid08

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
I'm just dissapointed that despite good intentions with the high player count/skirmish concept, overall it's still devolves, imo, into the same old problem of spawning then dying 8-10seconds later but your just engulfed with in other players ....no room to breath or plan, just shoot shoot die!
Completely and totally agree.

StuBurns

Banned
I guess pre-production has been going on since R1, but full blown development has been less than a year, right? For a game with as many box-bullet-points as R2, it's amazing it's even running. But the multiplayer is completely middle of the road, just like R1 was, and just like R3 will be unless Insomniac decide to give a more sensible time frame to development.

Acid08

Banned
stuburns said:
I guess pre-production has been going on since R1, but full blown development has been less than a year, right? For a game with as many box-bullet-points as R2, it's amazing it's even running. But the multiplayer is completely middle of the road, just like R1 was, and just like R3 will be unless Insomniac decide to give a more sensible time frame to development.
I very much doubt there was no development done on R2 while they were making R&C. Insomniac is a large developer. They had people working on R&C while the first Resistance was being made.

Even with Co-Op's flaws, I'm still having a whole lot of fun with it. I can see myself sinking a lot of hours into it.

I definitely prefer the seperate campaign approach to Co-Op.

Multi, I just can't get into and don't think I ever will be able to. But the single player should be good. I don't think Insomniac will disappoint there.

Acid08

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Even with Co-Op's flaws, I'm still having a whole lot of fun with it. I can see myself sinking a lot of hours into it.

I definitely prefer the seperate campaign approach to Co-Op.

Multi, I just can't get into and don't think I ever will be able to. But the single player should be good. I don't think Insomniac will disappoint there.
Co-op really just seems like TDM with bots as enemies and other people on your team. I can't get into either multi part to be honest. Can't wait for SP though.

SumGamer

Pai Pai Master said:
It easily the best gun to get the jump on someone with. When you're going head to head with someone though, you're better off using your magnum or dropping it for one of the rifles.

Outside of subways, you don't rely on ricochets as much. Tone down the ricochet damage and it's still pretty powerful when you're aiming directly at someone. It should be effective at clearing out a room but it shouldn't be unstoppable like it is when you can mindlessly blast sawblades into a small area and decimate everyone in your path.

I think Rossmore is about right, not too powerful or too weak. Combining Rossmore with the Iron Heart (or whatever it's called) is freaking awesome, still it doesn't stop opponent from headshot you with their guns before you can finish them off.

Splicer needs some change but not toning the based power. It's meant to be used in a narrow corridor. If you remove that, the benefit of the gun would be totally disappear,people will pick other gun instead. I think it deals about 25 or so, not sure, which is gonna take about 3-4 hits before the kill. People should try to flank them for a better strategic location. They will run out of bullet if they keep spamming, or run out of fun if nobody approach them. Maybe though, just maybe, lowering the damage by 2-3 point for each ricochet would be solution, but not ideal IMO. Spinning blade damage is about right though IMO.

Skirmish is nice, but I wish there's more meaningful objective to do. Something that might change the situation of the losing end. Like if your opponent is 25% from winning then they will get some support like appearance of the NPC to help delaying the winning team or maybe unleash the big guy(with far lower health from co-op mode, about 25-35% max) if the winning team slay him then they get Bonus XP reward, to keep them actually fighting the thing and not ignoring it. Just an idea though.

J-Rzez

I can't believe how good this game runs. Once again, it looks like Insomniac will be carrying the crown for the best online quality this gen. 60 players of chaos, zero lag. It's unbelievable, and it's beta...

I hope that Sony hires up some help for Zipper with their coding from Insomniac with MAG if it's in need. Hell, I wish they'd get some help from them for Slant 6.

Dizzan

MINI Member
J-Rzez said:
I can't believe how good this game runs. Once again, it looks like Insomniac will be carrying the crown for the best online quality this gen. 60 players of chaos, zero lag. It's unbelievable, and it's beta...

I hope that Sony hires up some help for Zipper with their coding from Insomniac with MAG if it's in need. Hell, I wish they'd get some help from them for Slant 6.

This is the main reason i'll be buying this dayone.

COD4 was almost unplayable for me due to lag but R1 and now both R2 Betas are flawless. Insomniac really has the netcode down.

At least when I have a poor round I only have myself to blame, not the intenetz.

<3 Insomniac

Acid08

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Seems nothing like TDM at all, honestly.
Well TDM wasn't the right word. It basically feels like a UT3 bot match but the bot AI is a lot worse and your teammates are human controlled.

SumGamer said:
I
Skirmish is nice, but I wish there's more meaningful objective to do. Something that might change the situation of the losing end. Like if your opponent is 25% from winning then they will get some support like appearance of the NPC to help delaying the winning team or maybe unleash the big guy(with far lower health from co-op mode, about 25-35% max) if the winning team slay him then they get Bonus XP reward, to keep them actually fighting the thing and not ignoring it. Just an idea though.

And I think this is my issue with it....I mean I wasn't expecting ET:QW kinds of objective based play here, but I was imagining something more than just capture the node

...dunno, could just be the maps

I don't think it would be a great idea to put more complex objectives in the skirmish mode, it's really fine as it is. It's fun to just go there playing with random people, there still are more advanced team based mode anyway. Not everybody wants to enter a clan or play competitively, it could even motivate some people to consider the game more seriously.

I mean, a capture the flag with random people is just frustrating and annoying, but with the right people it's awesome, I have the feeling that the mindless skirmish mode feel a gap. With some more advanced objective it would lose its sense.

FirewalkR

And I still don't know where to pre-order the CE. Any suggestions (I'm in Europe)?

And btw, videogamesplus.ca doesn't have the CE it seems and play-asia won't ship to europe.

BatmanX

FirewalkR said:
And I still don't know where to pre-order the CE. Any suggestions (I'm in Europe)?

And btw, videogamesplus.ca doesn't have the CE it seems and play-asia won't ship to europe.

It depends. I live in Italy and I've already placed the order on www.bitpower.it
excellent service. Which country are you living in?

FirewalkR

BatmanX said:
It depends. I live in Italy and I've already placed the order on www.bitpower.it
excellent service. Which country are you living in?

Portugal.

Very nice though, I might just order from there if they ship over here. From the US it would be cheaper BUT I might have to pay taxes, so unless I find somewhere better, it'll come from Italy, thanks. :)

Llyranor said:
I've had Play-Asia ship things to the UK before, and it worked pretty well. Unless it won't ship this specific product... ?

I've had them ship to Portugal in the past too, but in R2 CE's product page they specifically say they won't ship to Europe... :/

Edit: Seems like bitpower.it doesn't ship out of Italy though. In the registration page they only allow you to choose Italy, San Marino and Switzerland (if I'm translating Svizzera correctly lol). Back to square one.

Help, GAF?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Hey dudes just a Q

i ordered R2 from play-asia and payed for the fastest shipping (forget the name) how many days will it be delivered in roughly?

fanboi

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
Hey dudes just a Q

i ordered R2 from play-asia and payed for the fastest shipping (forget the name) how many days will it be delivered in roughly?

Did it say which company it should use?
Were do you live?

antiloop

oneHeero said:
This a montage a friend of mine made. This is basic rules, no adjusting health regen or any of that shit.
These are the type of people I play with. To say that this game doesnt allow for people to be distinguished skill-wise is retarded. Butta was great in r1, in cod4 and proving to be a beast on r2 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfF-EopAFJY&fmt=6

I suggest everyone watches it, it has great transitions and I really enjoyed watching it.

Thanks. Entertaining video.

FirewalkR said:
Portugal.

Very nice though, I might just order from there if they ship over here. From the US it would be cheaper BUT I might have to pay taxes, so unless I find somewhere better, it'll come from Italy, thanks. :)
Just order from videogamesplus.ca

They ship everything marked as low value and they put people names instead of the Company names so it never gets siezed at customs. I've imported over 20 games from there so far.

oneHeero

We lost a gamebattle t oa very talented team that have been rivals since R1 and on COD, I think its the first time they beat our clan since we've played. They were really smart with the splicer on Subway. We were bunched up so that we werent out numbered, all they did was spam the splicer. It sucked but it was a smart strategy. Marksman secondary + splicer secondary + nades = smart. It was tdm, they pulled through @ the last minute.

We played skirmish and my clan had no idea what to do since it was our first time playing skirmish lol. We were up 192-182 and had control of a beacon and the game ends and proceeds to say we lost 203-194.... We were stunned @ losing when we had a beacon :\

Game is very fun to play for gbs. I agree on splicer, ricochet needs to be toned down on subway, but nothing else. The gun is cool!

EDIT: My gs is doing a midnight launch for R2. Nov3/Nov4.

rjcc

I just loaded up the beta for the first time....it looks really bad. the enemy AI in co op is brain dead. I really felt like I was playing WoW, and not in a good way.

rjcc said:
I just loaded up the beta for the first time....it looks really bad. the enemy AI in co op is brain dead. I really felt like I was playing WoW, and not in a good way.
You mean the actual brain dead grims that are supposed to be stupid? Or the titans? Yes, there is/was(?) a problem with the titans. Not with everything else.

And no co-op doesn't look bad...

But weren't you complaining about stupid shit in the KZ2 thread as well?

rjcc

Metalmurphy said:
You mean the actual brain dead grims that are supposed to be stupid? Or the titans? Yes, there is/was(?) a problem with the titans. Not with everything else.

But weren't you complaining about stupid shit in the KZ2 thread as well?

the grims are the zombie like things? then you've got the regular guys, and thne the big guys with shields. they all seem to have the same ai. they stand where they are and shoot. you stand where you are and shoot.

I said I disagreed with some people's impressions of KZ2. finally took some time to play both betas, not my fault that I didn't know the resistance 2 screens were bullshots, I'd have tempered my expectations accordingly.

rjcc said:
the grims are the zombie like things? then you've got the regular guys, and thne the big guys with shields. they all seem to have the same ai. they stand where they are and shoot. you stand where you are and shoot.
No.

rjcc said:
I said I disagreed with some people's impressions of KZ2. finally took some time to play both betas, not my fault that I didn't know the resistance 2 screens were bullshots, I'd have tempered my expectations accordingly.
:lol

You saw shots of the SP campaign... Please link me to those co-op bullshots.

Or you can just gtfo with the trolling, you're becoming quite transparent after this and the KZ2 thread.

rjcc

Metalmurphy said:
No.

:lol

You saw shots of the SP campaign... Please link me to those co-op bullshots.

Or you can just gtfo with the trolling, you're becoming quite transparent after this and the KZ2 thread.

yes.

there's no excuse for co-op looking like an Xbox 1 game. it's really bad. the animations are stiff, the jaggies are pronounced and the textures lack any detail whatsoever. sorry if these games are your sacred cows, but I can only go by what I see and hear, and it sucks.

Top Bottom