• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Loudninja

DoctorWho said:
Is the beta over? I can't get into any games... :(
No it ends on October 30.
I dunno the only reason I die in the game is idiot healers and boredom from shooting at the same enemies for so long. That and everyone else in my group quitting out of boredom.

Glad that never happen to me.

Madman

Kabuki Waq said:
not trying to knock it. But I gotta know. Do enemies stand still and take bullets like they do in the gametrailers video? is it only a co-op thing or does it extend to the multiplayer?
Higher leveled players make the AI much more active, especially in open areas. They roll to dodge fire, use cover, rush, ect. R2's co-op has been some of the most fun I've had with a shooter. It's much more conducive to a great co-op experience then the R1 co-op.

Take from that what you will.

Pai Pai Master said:
It does have a co-op campaign. You've just decided to ignore its existence before giving it a decent shot.

I meant the main campaign in co-op. but whatever we wil see on frida when I get it hopefully.

JB1981

Pai Pai Master said:
It does have a co-op campaign. You've just decided to ignore its existence before giving it a decent shot.

The co-op experience in the beta is hardly what I would call a 'campaign.' It's a square box that you run back and forth in and fight packs of enemies. There is no 'level design.' It's like playing Skirmish mode with the stupidest bots you've ever come across in your life.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kabuki Waq said:
I meant the main campaign in co-op. but whatever we wil see on frida when I get it hopefully.
You can't do the campaign in co-op. How would you get the game on Friday anyway?

JB1981 said:
The co-op experience in the beta is hardly what I would call a 'campaign.' It's a square box that you run back and forth in and fight packs of enemies. There is no 'level design.' It's like playing Skirmish mode with the stupidest bots you've ever come across in your life.

:( I thought this was suppose to be seperate campaign comparable to the main campaign? level design story progression cutscenes and such?

Norml

jstevenson said:
Here is a brief part of the Resistance 2 Behind the Scenes video you'll get with the Collector's Edition - with some new footage and reveals.

This is a small cutdown of the Resistance: Universe portion.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14211237/resistance-2/videos/R2universe_102708.html

I like how you guys are at a real old place with old cars.

The big ship getting hit looks great:D

2dv5w6q.jpg

spwolf

miyamotofreak said:
I dunno the only reason I die in the game is idiot healers and boredom from shooting at the same enemies for so long. That and everyone else in my group quitting out of boredom.

well why dont you become medic then? R2 co-op is basic multiplayer team work, if you cant play R2 co-op, you really cant play any team based game well...

You are shooting at the same enemies because you are not completing your objectives, shouldnt be that hard to figure out.

It is extremly simple and natural...

spwolf said:
well why dont you become medic then? R2 co-op is basic multiplayer team work, if you cant play R2 co-op, you really cant play any team based game well...

You are shooting at the same enemies because you are not completing your objectives, shouldnt be that hard to figure out.

It is extremly simple and natural...
I did play medic. I got tired of holding R1 forever with the occasional R2.

spwolf

JB1981 said:

i see someone gave it their full 15 seconds, lol... whatever you wrote above is apsolutly not true... there are objectives and you move on the map as you complete them.

spwolf

Pai Pai Master said:
You got sick of shooting people in a FPS? D:

its hard work pressing all those buttons...of course, if he played a lot he would realize that R1 as medic doesnt do much but regen your health and that he should be going around reviving others and using a lot more of R2 than R1...

R2 has party options, so you can get with your friends and play co-op together, easily for better team work experience...

spwolf said:
i see someone gave it their full 15 seconds, lol... whatever you wrote above is apsolutly not true... there are objectives and you move on the map as you complete them.

ppl should compare Spywolf's Post history and JB's post history. Who do you think is being honest here and who is being a fanboy?

can you also guess which one is the multiplatform owner?

i hate to pick on spywolf but he makes almost everygame seem perfect.

spwolf

miyamotofreak said:
There's no feeling of accomplishment you get like you do with a good headshot. It feels like tedious work.

so what do you play, Socom? If you are not into arcade shooter genre, i can see possibility of co-op being boring (not really buy hey), in that case why even feign interest in game that you dont care about? Just to tell us it is... boring?

Or do you usually play platformers or racing games and wanted to check whats all this hoopla about fps?

spwolf said:
its hard work pressing all those buttons...of course, if he played a lot he would realize that R1 as medic doesnt do much but regen your health and that he should be going around reviving others and using a lot more of R2 than R1...

R2 has party options, so you can get with your friends and play co-op together, easily for better team work experience...
That's ..... amusing. Attacking a part of something I said to say that I play the game wrong? Because I assure you I am not.

miyamotofreak said:
There's no feeling of accomplishment you get like you do with a good headshot. It feels like tedious work.

That's unfortunate, but I disagree. I think the guys at IG have done a lot to make you feel accomplished and make you want to progress. Doing what you can to rake in the kills over other players shooting at the same enemies and you'll reap the benefits of more EXP. More EXP means progressing further than other players. The rewards for leveling up are genuinely exciting and useful. Being a level 10 soldier or medic feels a lot better than being level 1-5, and it feels damn good to be up there in the front lines leading the charge with your more powerful character.

How on earth do you play co-op with people on your friends list? I'm trying to play with someone now, but whenever I bring up the friends thing, it tells me his "account doesn't exist" and he tried sending me a party invite, but all it was was an empty message that didn't do anything.

spwolf

Kabuki Waq said:
ppl should compare Spywolf's Post history and JB's post history. Who do you think is being honest here and who is being a fanboy?

multiplatform owner? What does that have to do with R2?

I dont make every game seem perfect - I only post about those games that I am interested in... ie, if I really dont like an game, i might post single post and thats it - I accept that I dont get it and I wont push my crap...

So no, I wont watch gametrailers and try to diss the game that I have never tried, without reading hundreds of posts on the matter...

And again, multiplatform owner? wtf does that have to do with thread that talks about R2?
(i got PS3, PS2, PSP, DS and 360 BTW).

spwolf

miyamotofreak said:
That's ..... amusing. Attacking a part of something I said to say that I play the game wrong? Because I assure you I am not.

i finished co-op level on my 3rd try with group of strangers... if you cant do that, you have to be doing something wrong...

Guled

Kabuki Waq said:

As also a multi platform owner, I have agree with Spywolf. Now what dose that say

spwolf said:
so what do you play, Socom? If you are not into arcade shooter genre, i can see possibility of co-op being boring (not really buy hey), in that case why even feign interest in game that you dont care about? Just to tell us it is... boring?

Or do you usually play platformers or racing games and wanted to check whats all this hoopla about fps?
I play every genre almost. I couldn't really try Socom because of the screwed beta. I played a ton of CoD4 and Halo. I beat the first Resistance but the online never worked for me (Warhawk had the same problem till they changed the way players accessed servers). I played Warhawk a lot. Right now I'm playing lots of racers (Burnout, Wipeout, and more soon), and I liked the LBP beta very much (and I do love platformers). I played some of R1 multiplayer at a friends house and while I felt it was missing something I did enjoy it very much. And for my Arcadey Shooter credentials I played UT2k4 quite a bit and the Grid if that counts. And several Quake clones.

spwolf

ThirstyFly said:
How on earth do you play co-op with people on your friends list? I'm trying to play with someone now, but whenever I bring up the friends thing, it tells me his "account doesn't exist" and he tried sending me a party invite, but all it was was an empty message that didn't do anything.

there is an option in menus where you allow friends to your party... you got to enable it and it will work... I am in the middle of PES2009 so I cant check where exactly is it...

iceatcs

In medic, R1 button (fire) with the laser beam is not heal anyone I suspect. It is for hurting the enemies slowly but will faster if you are level up.

R2 button will thrown a green explosion thing which it will heal someone in the explosion area.

Loudninja

iceatcs said:
In medic, R1 button (fire) with the laser beam is not heal anyone I suspect. It is for hurting the enemies slowly but will faster if you are level up.

R2 button will thrown a green explosion thing which it will heal someone in the explosion area.

I know but damn, they charge ahead and get themselves killed. :lol

iceatcs said:

Primary fire is only for draining health from enemies. It heals you (the medic) in the process and fills up your alt-fire ammo. Alt-fire shoots a healing burst that recovers HP in an area of effect for your teammates.

Guled

iceatcs said:

If you aim it at an enemy and press R1, then it hurts enemies. But aim it at your team mates and press R1, then the beam is green and it heals your team mates. When you are hurting enemies, you charge up you alt fire which is a green explosion of health that heals you and team mates that are close by

JB1981

spwolf said:
Yea that's exactly what I said. And co-op plays exactly as I described.

iceatcs

Pai Pai Master said:
Primary fire is only for draining health from enemies. It heals you (the medic) in the process and fills up your alt-fire ammo. Alt-fire shoots a healing burst that recovers HP in an area of effect for your teammates.
Cool, at least I can heal myself. I have bit of hard time to find another medic to heal me.

How well fast it will heal yourself? I didn't know it maybe it is too slow to see it

Learn something new everyday :) thanks

Guled

JB1981 said:
Yea that's exactly what I said. And co-op plays exactly as I described.
You go from one scenario to the next, whats wrong with that? Isn't that how most shooters are played?

iceatcs said:
Cool, at least I can heal myself. I have bit of hard time to find another medic to heal me.

How well fast it will heal yourself? I didn't know it maybe it is too slow to see it

Learn something new everyday :) thanks

Pretty quick. If you're good enough you can solo co-op as Medic.

iceatcs

Guled said:
If you aim it at an enemy and press R1, then it hurts enemies. But aim it at your team mates and press R1, then the beam is green and it heals your team mates. When you are hurting enemies, you charge up you alt fire which is a green explosion of health that heals you and team mates that are close by
Really?, it can heal yourself as well? I don't remember. Maybe I didn't try to shoot close enough lol.

Guled said:
You go from one scenario to the next, whats wrong with that? Isn't that how most shooters are played?
A good shooter at least attempts to have unique and cool things going in. Like CoD4's Rushing the Ferris Wheel.

iceatcs

miyamotofreak said:
A good shooter at least attempts to have unique and cool things going in. Like CoD4's Rushing the Ferris Wheel.
Well, I don't see 100 Russians invade in the sametime tho.

That's why you can't bring other shooter game to comparison.

miyamotofreak said:

CoD4 didn't have any co-op, either, and it was still awesome. Different games attempt different things, and it's kinda strange to compare CoD4's campaign to R2's co-op. R1 didn't have many objectives other than shooting through enemies on a set path either; was it that horrible?

I'm only level 2 (maybe 3) on coop and I'm excited to hear that the AI of the enemies gets much better at higher levels. If it didn't I wouldn't have any interest in playing it. Now I'm actually excited.

Pai Pai Master said:
CoD4 didn't have any co-op, either, and it was still awesome. Different games attempt different things, and it's kinda strange to compare CoD4's campaign to R2's co-op. R1 didn't have many objectives other than shooting through enemies on a set path either; was it that horrible?
The first bit of R1 did indeed suck.

Guled

miyamotofreak said:
The beta has only one level so I don't think you could could say it won't have cool unique things. Also, the AI in CoD4 was way worse then R2. They just died to quickly to notice

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I tried again briefly with coop and I just don't think it's fun. I really am going to have to go back in time and kill whoever came up with MMOs.

I think it will be looked back upon as a mistake that there is no coop through the campaign. I've said it before and I will keep saying that until I play a cooperative game in R2 with engaging level design, attentive, reactive enemies that react to my presence AND my bullets, and something more inventive than just throwing a lot of elite level mobs at me.

I'm open to this changing and I know I'm not a SUPER high difficultly level. I'm also not a HUGE fan of multiplayer shooters so I prefer cooperative play.

But a certain other game is coming out right around this game that's going to offer the visceral experience I'm looking for in a cooperative setting and when it comes to shooting through gigantic, chunky enemies, less is more.

iceatcs

miyamotofreak said:
But why would I care about 100 enemies? Quantity does equal quality.
Out of 2 co-op levels in the beta (*how many are they? 3, I have only played 2 so far)
I think you're being unfair in there.

Y2Kev said:
I tried again briefly with coop and I just don't think it's fun. I really am going to have to go back in time and kill whoever came up with MMOs.
Well, PS3 gamers got to get used with MMOs, because it will be lot to coming in year time.
It is just warm-up game for Massive MMO incoming. :p

Top Bottom