• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Guled

IGN said:
Resistance 2 is one of those games that manages to expand on its predecessor in every way. The single player is epic in scope and in story, which is practically worth the price of admission by itself. Then you throw in the extremely engaging co-op and competitive play, which expands on replayability in just about every way possible. Toss in a generous number of unlockables, trophies and community support, and you've got a phenomenal experience. This is an exclusive that PS3 owners should be proud to have in their collection.
music to my ears, only one week away can't wait

Its funny how coop play works and how some new people have NO IDEA what they are doing.

SCREWED UP COOP GAMES
1) A bunch of medics on the team. For some reason they have decided healing people isn't their job. I've sat there dead (keeping them alive by the way) at their feet. Only after all enemies are killed do they try to heal or revive.

2) As a medic, I sit there depleting my entire health supply because some soldier or spec ops wants to be RAMBO. Then when I run out they die. Then I debate how to revive someone surrounded by 5 or 6 enemies.

3) As a soldier, I run out of ammo and shield power. A spec ops guy throws me a bone once in awhile. Basically, until things get really tough (as in unfairly tough) they don't want to use the shield provided by the soldier. They run right in front of my machine gun.

4) As a spec ops guy, I try to use the soldiers shield to keep safe and feed the guy ammo. For some unfathomable reason he doesn't feel the worry about anyone behind him and runs willy nilly around. He only stops when the gun is depleted. He gets me killed frequently by bolting around drawing fire (he has shields right) leaving me to absorb shots.

I really love the COOP gameplay but... man some people really aren't cut out for teamwork.

I've been in totally winnable situations which are completely lost due to 1-4 above every other game.

Rolf NB

Yeah. I think I've only ever been on two matches that were wiped out. I do not hesitate to bolt into a safe corner when I see 6/8 are already dead, especially not as a medic. People have to learn that undue risks get you killed. A group that sticks together, advances slowly and fills all of their roles is essentially invincible, except maybe for the respawning waves going on at the two harmonic switches up in the sawmill.

Learn to pick your matches. When you see a room with five spec-ops, you can be certain they are all just there because they think that's the coolest class. When you see a room called "mics only", you know there'll just be a bunch of whiny bitches screaming for medics after getting mowed down over and over again.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Are the people complaining about teamwork playing ranked games? I only play ranked and I find that people generally know what they're doing and I've rarely been in a team where we completely failed the mission.

Crisco

Banned
Fucking christ, this is getting good reviews too? I picked a terrible time to start playing WoW again. Fuck you Blizzard.

FirewalkR

To euro guys who want to import the CE:

I emailed videogamesplus.ca asking about the CE that they had up for pre-order but took down, and this is what they said:

We had it up but sold out, trying to get more as we speak and may have it up again later this week.

So there. I'll be checking the site every day. :D

PS: other site suggestions accepted. play-asia/amazon don't ship it to europe.

bcn-ron said:
Yeah. I think I've only ever been on two matches that were wiped out. I do not hesitate to bolt into a safe corner when I see 6/8 are already dead, especially not as a medic. People have to learn that undue risks get you killed. A group that sticks together, advances slowly and fills all of their roles is essentially invincible, except maybe for the respawning waves going on at the two harmonic switches up in the sawmill.
You should try some 3 or 4 player games, or even a two player soldier/spec-ops game. It's pretty intense when your death can mean game over for the team in seconds, and mics are absolutely required, at least for the soldier / spec ops.

jjasper

sykoex said:
Are the people complaining about teamwork playing ranked games? I only play ranked and I find that people generally know what they're doing and I've rarely been in a team where we completely failed the mission.

I have played coop about 5 times now, every time a majority of the people don't have headsets (me included) and only once have I been on a team where we aren't working together and that was because 2 spec ops didn't understand their role as a ammo feeder so there were no shields and thus everyone died.

TuxBobble

TelemachusD said:
You should try some 3 or 4 player games, or even a two player soldier/spec-ops game. It's pretty intense when your death can mean game over for the team in seconds, and mics are absolutely required, at least for the soldier / spec ops.

To be 100% honest, I think the ideal game is 3 players, one of each class. The difficulty is appropriate for the 3 people in general.

The other ideal is 1 player, just a medic. I've beaten a stage or two that way. It takes quite a while, but if you have a secondary weapon (carbine is best for its range) you can use it to speed up one or two of the bosses in the level...

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Oliver.S said:
This will get a hugh backslash.

fqqeo.jpg

TuxBobble said:
To be 100% honest, I think the ideal game is 3 players, one of each class.
Absolutely.

That's what I usually create when I make a game, or sometimes four, to allow for one guy who doesn't know what's going on. If 3 player with mics interests anyone, feel free to add me, because that what I'll be mostly looking for when the game comes out. My PSN name is the same as my GAF name.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey SF bay area gaffers.

Highly recommend you come to the Metreon for the midnight event (swag, a good deal on the CE and more). If you're 21 or older and coming, you should definitely send me a PM with your first and last name.

More details on that to come.

KZObsessed

FirewalkR said:

I emailed videogamesplus.ca asking about the CE that they had up for pre-order but took down, and this is what they said:

How much did they have it listed for? With the current exchange rate I don't know if I could afford it :S

Darkpen

Banned
jstevenson said:
Hey SF bay area gaffers.

Highly recommend you come to the Metreon for the midnight event (swag, a good deal on the CE and more). If you're 21 or older and coming, you should definitely send me a PM with your first and last name.

D:

God dammit! This is what I get for blowing cash on a stinking PSN card. Augh!

Dirtbag

Looking over the new IGN screenshots, it looks like a portion of the game takes place near New Orleans out on the bayou! I always thought it was odd more game developers haven't used New Orleans or Southern Louisiana as a backdrop, its pretty rich in atmosphere/history and has unique architecture.

sk3tch

Just tried to play online and it said all the servers were down. Checked out co-op in offline, instead.

I see the posts above indicate the beta goes until Thursday...so I'll try to play online again tonight.

oneHeero

jstevenson said:
Hey SF bay area gaffers.

Do this in San Antonio, Tx please stop forgetting us cuz we're mexicans!!!!!!!

Cyberia

FirewalkR said:

Good news! Well done. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FirewalkR said:

YES!!!!!

Joe211

Pai Pai Master said:
Man, these are beta screens of the multiplayer game. They're just not going to look as good as the single player.

2950017936_a114487a3c_o.jpg

2950017826_ee70d58034_o.jpg

Here are the two latest screens from SP.
wow it looks awesome

sk3tch said:
Just tried to play online and it said all the servers were down. Checked out co-op in offline, instead.
The servers always seem to go down when I'm in the middle of a game. Of course, I'm almost always in the middle of a game.

Has anyone ever been a soldier trying to revive someone with Triangle while behind your shield only to be not in exactly the right spot and so Triangle changed your weapon instead? Which lead to the shield being put away and you most likely dying on top of your comrade in a hail of bullets? It's happened to me a couple of times, and I've seen it happen more. The good news is revive is always mapped to Triangle so you can move weapon select to a different button, and the problem is gone.

DeadGzuz

Banned
jstevenson said:
Hey SF bay area gaffers.

Man I'm tempted, but SF at midnight means no BART right?

I'm not sure how this would go over...

"Hey honey, take care of the three kids, I'm going to SF for a game party!"

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DeadGzuz said:
Man I'm tempted, but SF at midnight means no BART right?

I'm not sure how this would go over...

"Hey honey, take care of the three kids, I'm going to SF for a game party!"

I can tell you you'll save a decent chunk of change on the CE that you could then put towards the cab home.... ;-)

EGM92

Buddy at Sony just got me Resistance 2 :D

100_2368649.jpg

jstevenson you guys at Insomniac are awesome, the game is leaps and bounds better than the first.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Dever

Banned
Dante said:
From the other thread:

resistance-2-20081027110800470_640w.jpg

That's weird. The first time I saw concept art of that dude I thought it was going to be a small enemy that ran at you fast, sort of like a chimeran dog. Guess not. :lol

Trevelyan

Banned
Dever said:
That's weird. The first time I saw concept art of that dude I thought it was going to be a small enemy that ran at you fast, sort of like a chimeran dog. Guess not. :lol
:lol :lol I thought the exact same thing. I was thinking waist-high would be about as big as they got.

Top Bottom