• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

TuxBobble

May have been asked already...

But will coop levels/experience carry over to the full game, or is it going to go back to 0 for everyone? Because I'm debating if I should switch over to prioritizing LBP/Fallout 3 tomorrow, or if I should keep playing R2. (If my progress is lost I'm more likely to switch over to other games when I get them...)

Guled

TuxBobble said:

But will coop levels/experience carry over to the full game, or is it going to go back to 0 for everyone? Because I'm debating if I should switch over to prioritizing LBP/Fallout 3 tomorrow, or if I should keep playing R2. (If my progress is lost I'm more likely to switch over to other games when I get them...)
It won't carry over, its a beta

TuxBobble said:

Prioritize F3 for tomorrow. LBP's servers are stressing anyway.

TuxBobble

Guled said:
It won't carry over, its a beta

That's what I thought, but I had to be sure. You never know. After all, this isn't really a beta just a demo with the label of a beta...Most "beta"s are nowadays. Makes people feel more special, haha.

Guess I'll play other stuff starting tomorrow when I get Fallout/LBP...

tanod said:
Medics have to fight hard for their XP.

I find medic to be the easiest class for EXP. Soldier's got the hardest time. Medic is constantly outdoing soldier in the amount of EXP they rake in from constantly firing at enemies. In addition, the extra EXP you gain from making use of your shield is null and void most of the time because of idiots running in front of you and getting killed, taking in all the oncoming fire.

Pai Pai Master said:
I find medic to be the easiest class for EXP. Soldier's got the hardest time. Medic is constantly outdoing soldier in the amount of EXP they rake in from constantly firing at enemies. In addition, the extra EXP you gain from making use of your shield is null and void most of the time because of idiots running in front of you and getting killed, taking in all the oncoming fire.

really? ive been playing medic all day and im constantly getting xp but ive yet to see me or any other medics at the top of the board. usually its all spec ops with like 150 kills, or something else real high

Well, if the group is fighting competently, and everyone is behind the Solider's shields etc, then I can see the Medics having problems getting EXP. Depends how lucky they are with kills (grenades on grims, people!). However, as most people are idiots, Medics generally can rake in WAY MORE than others just by healing frequently. Not to mention that in these same sessions they're usually the only ones alive the whole time and constantly raking in exp/kills while others are eating dirt. Of course, I barely get healed even when the group sucks and I'm a SO/Soldier.

I keep trying to level these two classes up, but they're honestly too frustrating to play with random idiots (ESPECIALLY SOLDIER OMG). Medics are great in that they rely on nobody to be completely effective. I think a lot of people don't realize how much exp you can get just by spamming heals.

Madman

aj2good4you2 said:
really? ive been playing medic all day and im constantly getting xp but ive yet to see me or any other medics at the top of the board. usually its all spec ops with like 150 kills, or something else real high
Usually, medics get the most experience in a round. Healing gets you a lot of XP. At least from my experience.

Llyranor

I'm usually first place or near when playing medic. You need to spent your time healing and reviving, not shooting. Replenishing your ammo is the SpecOps' job.

I definitely think Medics need to generate their own secondary shots, though. Maybe it eases up at higher levels, but Spec Ops only get two ammos every 5-8 seconds it seems, and they're really hard to throw where you want. And Soldiers eat up every last one of them between their shield and the Wraith.

There are some notable exceptions, like the faceoff with three Titans, where all the enemies are pretty much out of reach of the Phoenix unless you want to die.

Also a problem, people seem to think you need 4 freaking soliders in every match or you can't win... which just results in no soldiers ever having ammo. I think my preferred party would be 2 Medics, 2 Soliders, and 4 Spec Ops. Plenty of ammo to go around and can split into two self-sufficient groups.

I also hate Soldiers that run around spastically.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I definitely think Medics need to generate their own secondary shots, though. Maybe it eases up at higher levels, but Spec Ops only get two ammos every 5-8 seconds it seems, and they're really hard to throw where you want. And Soldiers eat up every last one of them between their shield and the Wraith.

There are some notable exceptions, like the faceoff with three Titans, where all the enemies are pretty much out of reach of the Phoenix unless you want to die.

Also a problem, people seem to think you need 4 freaking soliders in every match or you can't win... which just results in no soldiers ever having ammo. I think my preferred party would be 2 Medics, 2 Soliders, and 4 Spec Ops. Plenty of ammo to go around and can split into two self-sufficient groups.

I also hate Soldiers that run around spastically.
I'd go 3-3-2 with 2 being medics. As long as they're good 2 should be enough.

EktorPR

Llyranor said:
Yeah, the problem is that you're not going to find 2 good medics in a random game!

You can. I've already been in random games where the guy sharing the medic class with me is as good (or better) than me.

SumGamer

XP earning difficulties IMO
Medic(Easy) - Healing your mate earns you way more XP than sucking up ammo with the phoenix. Look for the location of your group, the closer the group stick together, the more XP you're likely to get if you aim at the groundin the middle.
Spec Ops(Normal) - Give away all the ammo, keep the soldier barrier in check, remember no soldier means nobody to take the ammo, Scope and HS everything inside while waiting for the ammo to replenish. Midic can generate their own phoenix ammo, so only give them ammo if you have extra or waiting to approach the next objective. The sparkball nade replenish everytime you throw an ammo pack so spamming it for extra XP.
Soldier(Hard) - Barrier is your friend, keep looking around to make sure nobody can fire at you from the side or back. The closer to the target, the more XP you're gonna get. Keep granade for the best oppotunity. Run for your life if you are out of the barrier :lol .

Anyway, I've been playing so many random maps. I never actually having problem with Medic, they seems to know what they are doing. Selfish Spec Ops is the problem, they will be sitting far away sniping and throwing the ammo pack to the groun just for give themselves ammo. Such SO is a Soldier nightmares, no chance of winning without ammo.

The best team porpotion I found is 3 Soldiers 3 Spec Ops 2 Medics(Or 3 Medics and 2 SOs).

I love playing medic because they dont have to rely on anyone, and support role in this game is kinda rewarding as well. :D

TuxBobble

aj2good4you2 said:

That's really funny. EVERY time I'm a medic for the whole game, I top the list. Without fail. If you know the way to shoot, medics gain a crapload of exp from damaging enemies, too, because your shot chains among a few enemies at a time...

Make sure you also pick up grenade packs because the hedgehogs deal crazy damage to groups...

I mean obviously it's gonna change game to game, but like I said if I start the game as a medic and don't change classes the whole time I am ALWAYS #1 in the game in exp...

Spec Ops is the class which is easiest to screw up from team play perspective.

I've seen too many people play as Snipers and not bother giving people ammo.

iceatcs

They should losing some XP on Spec Ops if they didn't feed the solider for while. Like -50XP or more every 10 secs when one player running out.

Same to the medics, if they didn't heal them till dead, they will get losing point.

Also the solider should get lost point when every death.

theBishop

Banned
i've noticed if you join a game with a party, you don't always get put in the same squad. unless everything is full, it should pair you up.

SumGamer

iceatcs said:
They should losing some XP on Spec Ops if they didn't feed the solider for while. Like -50XP or more every 10 secs when one player running out.

Same to the medics, if they didn't heal them till dead, they will get losing point.

Also the solider should get lost point when every death.

I'd quit if that happen.

Quick question for you guys. I played about two co-op matches, but I still don't understand certain weapons. What does alt-fire on the Spec-Ops gun do? And does the Medic's healing explosion also hurt enemies?

All Insomniac needs to do is change the way Spec-Ops dispenses ammo. I find it to be way too imprecise.

Jack Scofield said:
Quick question for you guys. I played about two co-op matches, but I still don't understand certain weapons. What does alt-fire on the Spec-Ops gun do? And does the Medic's healing explosion also hurt enemies?

All Insomniac needs to do is change the way Spec-Ops dispenses ammo. I find it to be way too imprecise.

Marksman alt-fire produces an electromagnetic charge that damages all nearby enemies it passes by. Medic alt-fire is only for healing. To damage enemies use your primary fire, or unlock the Carbine, Rossmore or Splicer.

At level 10, the Phoenix hits 3 enemies at once instead of 2 as well... your kills/damage skyrockets obviously. If I had to guess I'd assume it keeps going up every 10 levels.

It's virtually impossible to die while draining three enemies (much less a prospective 4 or 5). Also, you never had to reload :p

DrPirate

Banned
I expected this the second I played the beta and had the most fun I've ever had in my life.

Bravo. From the excitement I had watching videos and glimpses of gameplay, to the crazy amounts of fun playing coop (yes, AND competitive which I also loved and you can check my post history for consistency), I will be getting this and I'm very very pleased.

Rolf NB

TuxBobble said:
That's what I thought, but I had to be sure. You never know. After all, this isn't really a beta just a demo with the label of a beta...Most "beta"s are nowadays. Makes people feel more special, haha.
False. If you played the beta over the course of a few days, you'd have noticed a constant flow of changes delivered through server-side tweaks and the occasional client-side patch, both in competitive and co-op.

This Resistance 2 beta definitely is a beta.

Ten days ago the titan in the gully would just stand there.
Five days ago he started moving and chasing people.
Two days ago he was swapped out for a stalker.

Spawn patters have drastically changed game flow in some competitive maps. A week ago, 40-man TDM on Chicage alleys had a tendency to devolve into an ongoing conflict at the corner at the end of the street, where most of one faction would continuously spawn in the dead end, while the other faction would keep spawning around the corner, on the adjacent street, producing effectively a ten-minute+ clusterfuck of 15 vs 15 players at any given moment, all concentrated in a very small area.

That has completely changed late last week. These situations just don't come up anymore.

Secondary ammo has been made rarer, making the 60-man version of Orrick less of a 40mm grenade vs marksman secondary contest, and more of a legitimate battlegrounds.

Comments such as yours are a dead giveaway that you only ever played a few matches once and never bothered checking back to see if stuff changed. You just presume that it didn't.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
bcn-ron said:
False. If you played the beta over the course of a few days, you'd have noticed a constant flow of changes delivered through server-side tweaks and the occasional client-side patch, both in competitive and co-op.

This Resistance 2 beta definitely is a beta.

Ten days ago the titan in the gully would just stand there.
Five days ago he started moving and chasing people.
Two days ago he was swapped out for a stalker.

Spawn patters have drastically changed game flow in some competitive maps. A week ago, 40-man TDM on Chicage alleys had a tendency to devolve into an ongoing conflict at the corner at the end of the street, where most of one faction would continuously spawn in the dead end, while the other faction would keep spawning around the corner, on the adjacent street, producing effectively a ten-minute+ clusterfuck of 15 vs 15 players at any given moment, all concentrated in a very small area.

That has completely changed late last week. These situations just don't come up anymore.

Secondary ammo has been made rarer, making the 60-man version of Orrick less of a 40mm grenade vs marksman secondary contest, and more of a legitimate battlegrounds.

Comments such as yours are a dead giveaway that you only ever played a few matches once and never bothered checking back to see if stuff changed. You just presume that it didn't.

Theres sections where you fight the titan and theres sections where you fight a stalker, it changes depending on players or something, it hasnt been removed.

Wollan

sykoex said:
Anyone else think it sucks that the soldier basically can't function without a spec-op?
You get ammo from enemy corpses I believe. And since the game scales according to amount of players I reckon it's possible to get that ammo in 2p offline...etc.

resistance-2-20081027110749689.jpg

resistance-2-20081027110800470.jpg

resistance-2-20081027110753579.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14211237/imgs_1.html

Rolf NB

Wollan said:
You get ammo from enemy corpses I believe. And since the game scales according to amount of players I reckon it's possible to get that ammo in 2p offline...etc.
I never got any ammo from enemies in co-op. Without a spec op interested in doing his job, the only thing a soldier can do to refill is to get killed and respawn.

Now in competitive, yes, ammo does drop from enemies.

Wollan

Ahh ok. I read it the other day and you might be right (as in I might have mistaken the discussion for co-op talk. Sold my tv so I can't check atm).

Edit: VVV Maybe I read right

bcn-ron said:
I never got any ammo from enemies in co-op. Without a spec op interested in doing his job, the only thing a soldier can do to refill is to get killed and respawn.

Now in competitive, yes, ammo does drop from enemies.
You do actually. Just not often.

Rolf NB

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Theres sections where you fight the titan and theres sections where you fight a stalker, it changes depending on players or something, it hasnt been removed.
It's the same area. I played a lot of co-op (lvl 9 medic, lvl 5 soldier, lvl 4 spec ops), and I recognize the places quite clearly by now. It's also the only area where I noticed that a major enemy got swapped. I.e. you'll always get two titans on those rooftops, you always get a stalker and three drones down that ramp at the edge of the sawmill, and you always get three titans in that u-shaped street in the residential area. The boss enemy in that gully is the only one that changed, and there even was a pretty obvious reason why. That titan was famous for getting stuck running against the wall, once he started moving at all that is (he was stationary just a short while ago).

Rolf NB

Metalmurphy said:
You do actually. Just not often.
Good to know. How does that work? Do ammo boxes drop, just like the ammo boxes tossed by the spec ops?
Maybe I just didn't notice. It's hard to kill more stuff when you're dry after all.

bcn-ron said:
Good to know. How does that work? Do ammo boxes drop, just like the ammo boxes tossed by the spec ops?
Maybe I just didn't notice. It's hard to kill more stuff when you're dry after all.
Yeah it's pretty much the same. Sometimes you get ammo, other times you get special prototype ammo, other times grenades. Still it doesn't come often enough that you can rely on it with just 2 players and no spec ops.

Top Bottom