• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

patsu

Ariexv said:
Yes because there's so many other ways to directly compare games across the consoles.

In general, reviews are subjective and not normalized. Can't be used as an objective measurement for cross platform comparison. If you play PS3 games at all, they are all very unique and deep in my eyes <3 <3

DrPirate

Banned
JB1981 said:
well, it is a war-ravaged environment - so it's kind of important for that to be represented visually and in convincing detail

this is why i was always more drawn to the world of say, gears of war .... it's all in the details.

That San Francisco level with the warships passing overhead inspires a bigger feeling of being drastically overwhelmed than even Half-Life 2 does (Half-Life 2 does it in a very gradual way where the Human race is enslaved), this is a full on attack, like a cleansing of a whole race. That's what I love about R2, it's as if it's almost hopeless.

Y2Kev said:
oh thank god, this guy is obnoxious

(I sort of agree with rod though. this isn't that impressive. the texturing isn't that great)

I found it to be very very inconsistent. The textures in the road and trees I thought looked awesome, but the textures on the truck look very bland, flat, and just destroy any sense of realism along with other little things that can be nitpicked.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ariexv said:
Ps3 has the least AAA games as well....
oh thank god, this guy is obnoxious

(I sort of agree with rod though. this isn't that impressive. the texturing isn't that great)

JB1981 said:
well, it is a war-ravaged environment - so it's kind of important for that to be represented visually and in convincing detail

this is why i was always more drawn to the world of say, gears of war .... it's all in the details.

This is sorta what I mean. Some of the textures just make things look so flat with the lighting. The look really served the END of Resistance 1 with all the high-tech glowey blue stuff, but the city streets and Cheddar Gorge were really just boring looking.

Resistance 2 impresses me in one way so far...and it's scale. But like at E3, with the Leviathan bearing down on the player, the building you were running through is completely clean and really barren.

I don't know if this is Insomniac's approach to designing levels (simplicity in design, and yes, I know the game was a WIP), but it sort of reminded me of R1.

Make it dirtier.

____

Yea, you guys are right.

Back to Reisistance 2.

This thing has gone from "RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info" to "PS3 has the least AAA games according to Eurogamer"

:lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well I guess I takes allot more to make some of you guys happy, each to their own I suppose, I think sometimes it comes down to how you perceive things, I always tend to look at things from a distance, like the picture I posted, I look at the whole scene, I don't partially feel drawn into the smaller details of that scene, it's like art, sometimes when you get too up close and personal with it it loses it's beauty, step back a bit though and view it as a sum of it's parts and it works, the overrule scene looks wonderful.

patsu

Y2Kev said:
This is sorta what I mean. Some of the textures just make things look so flat with the lighting. The look really served the END of Resistance 1 with all the high-tech glowey blue stuff, but the city streets and Cheddar Gorge were really just boring looking.

Resistance 2 impresses me in one way so far...and it's scale. But like at E3, with the Leviathan bearing down on the player, the building you were running through is completely clean and really barren.

I don't know if this is Insomniac's approach to designing levels (simplicity in design, and yes, I know the game was a WIP), but it sort of reminded me of R1.

Make it dirtier.

The Leviathen level is not barren (They are littered with broken stuff). I think it's just the smooth gradient background textures. I suspect it's part of the scale formula.

Perhaps they can start dirtying small levels. :)

Trevelyan

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Make it dirtier.

Well they did say in the final build that building will be on fire. So that should make a difference.

BeeDog

It's not really a surprise to see Resistance with its non-gritty texture work in parts. I bet it's a remain from Insomniac's cartoon-styled games, it can be hard to overcome habits. :p

Still, from what has been shown, this game won't be an all-round graphical powerhouse, and I don't want it to be; I just want Insomniac to return and increase the great scale, and make the game freaking stable without any tearing and frame drops. That will make me a happy panda.

Thank god Ariexv is gone, truly one of the most annoying trolls around here.

DrPirate

Banned
patsu said:
The Leviathen level is not barren (They are littered with broken stuff). I think it's just the smooth gradient background textures. I suspect it's part of the scale formula.

Well, Ted himself stated that the building was supposed to be on fire and they didn't add most of the effects/details.

Edit: Beaten :(

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:

The scale was never a problem in the first game, you can probably cramp 60 people in Nottingham and it might still work very well, the level of details and overall art direction was the problem. Too many fake lights, not enough real dynamic lights, not enough contrast, not enough dirt, grit, destruction, the character models were fine, they were detailed, they just didn't cast shadows on themselves, the environments lack self-shadowing, the objects for the most part lacked self-shadowing, the interplay of light and shadows could have made things incredibly more dramatic. Physics is great but you need the proper lighting and shadowing, you blow something up all those debris would fly all over the place and you should see an increble display of shadows on the ground.

It's like in Army of Two where the ship was sinking and all those crates were just flying down, there was this incredible sense of chaos, there was this incredible sense of urgency and speed, that was what R1 lacked. The gameplay scenarios in R1 was good, it just lacked that extra level of immersion, like I've said before they needed to crank the graphics to 11, that was what prevented RFOM from becoming a universal hit. The leviathan demo at E3 was more going through one set path but with the environment diluted too much because of the visual scale, but the actual playground in that demo didn't offer that freedom. I would like to be able to fight ON the leviathan instead of running away from it, trying to figure a way to get ON the leviathan, fighting chimeras in some kind of control tower and a series of tunnels to find out how to take down the beast from the inside. It's like a scarab fight in HALO3, THAT is scale, right now the leviathan fight is just avoiding the huge fist of death, it's akin to fighting the colossus of rhodes in God of War 2 at the beginning versus fighting a colossus in Shadow of Colossus, in SOTC the fight is just ten times more epic and much more dynamic.

patsu

Yeah well, I don't use R1 as the yardstick because it has the "launch game" schedule and immature toolset problems.

If we just look at R2... do you think it's purely art style and incomplete level issues ? I mean there can be tons of sh*t going on in a large MP game. They have to juggle with the resources somehow.

If it's an art issue or just a transient work-in-progress problem, then I am officially stoked. The skeptics inside me is not ready to accept that yet (Show me, Insomniac).

I am REALLY eager to see final game because I want to see if our feedback made it into the final game... and then the real ceiling for SP.

Can someone tell me the 15 AAA 360 titles?

I'm guessing he has no first party titles as AAA for the PS3, because there's at least 5 third party that are AAA.

Resistance 2 looks real good, I'm always worried about going online and getting my arsed kicked but considering how much they're doing with it I'll think I'll try it next year.

jett said:
MGS4 was the master of dicksquat.

Wow, what pissed in your cereal. MGS4 was so detailed it was almost impossible to see everything on the first play through. Its hard to expect that kind of detail in a lauch game like R1. MGS4 had 4 year production cycle. You can add a ton of shit in that amount of time!

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:
Yeah well, I don't use R1 as the yardstick because it has the "launch game" schedule and immature toolset problems.

If we just look at R2... do you think it's purely art style and incomplete level issues ? I mean there can be tons of sh*t going on in a large MP games. They have to juggle with the resources somehow.

If it's an art issue or just a transient work-in-progress problem, then I am officially stoked. The skeptics inside me is not ready to accept that yet (Show me, Insomniac).

I am REALLY eager to see final game because I want to see if our feedback made it into the final game... and then the real ceiling for SP.

I don't know, since everything shown so far they claim to be early so I'm kind of waiting for the real thing. I want to be wowed, I thought the convoy footage looks good but that's touched up pre-recorded stuff and I don't know how much of it was touched up. R2 needs good lighting and shadowing more than just plain scale (and scale needs to be playground scale, not just linear playable scale), I'm just hoping to see more but right now things are kind of slow.

travisbickle said:
Can someone tell me the 15 AAA 360 titles?
I'm guessing he used Metacritic rating >=90 as the criteria. For the 360 you get the following games.

Grand Theft Auto IV
BioShock
Orange Box, The
Gears of War
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Halo 3
Rock Band 2
Braid
Guitar Hero II
Rock Band
Mass Effect
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Forza Motorsport 2

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
archnemesis said:
I'm guessing he used Metacritic rating >=90 as the criteria. For the 360 you get the following games.

Gears of War
Halo 3
Braid
Guitar Hero II
Rock Band
Forza Motorsport 2
Fixed for exclusives

This thread has turned into a major bitch fest.

I really don't care. It is my most anticipated game of the year. Insomniac hasn't disappointed me one damn time, so I don't think they will this time.

Plus the Coop is like nothing out there right now and probably could be a stand alone game. This is where the sheer size of the Blu Ray comes in handy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
archnemesis said:
Gears of War, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero II are all available on other platforms.
I edited out Rock Band but the others aren't available on the PS3. Anyway this is just pointless, lets all cut the fanboy crap and just wait for the new gameplay before we start up any more graphics debates.

archnemesis said:

Grand Theft Auto IV
BioShock
Orange Box, The
Gears of War
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Halo 3
Rock Band 2
Braid
Guitar Hero II
Rock Band
Mass Effect
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Forza Motorsport 2

Going by that list, just on the multi platform stuff, the PS3 has 6 plus BioShock and Rock Band 2 when it comes out for the PS3.

About time Ariexv is banned. If you guys only knew the tripe and misinformation he spreads on other sites, you wouldn't have bothered with him in the first place.

Anyway hoping the media event is early in the week (like tomorrow).

patsu

Kittonwy said:
I don't know, since everything shown so far they claim to be early so I'm kind of waiting for the real thing. I want to be wowed, I thought the convoy footage looks good but that's touched up pre-recorded stuff and I don't know how much of it was touched up. R2 needs good lighting and shadowing more than just plain scale (and scale needs to be playground scale, not just linear playable scale), I'm just hoping to see more but right now things are kind of slow.

For MP, I have only seen max 8 player games. I really can't imagine a 60 player turn out right now. That's 7-8 times more activities. The co-op enemies are abundant but can't really compare to so many human players equiped with grenades.

For SP, the trailers are all incomplete builds. So there's still hope for a better ambience (lighting and effects). Given the 60 player headroom (and now we only have one), my guess is we will see some pleasant surprises but the ground texture will still look pretty "clean" due to reuse.

I had the same idea about fighting on the Leviathan rather than away from it. I wonder how hard it is to do it for SP. I heard there are other large enemies (well, boarding the mothership doesn't really count).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Jeseus said:
The big problem of R2 is lack of NORMAL MAPPING.

Maybe JS can tell us why they dont use it.

But ,have you played R2 with all the polish and stuff ?
Until they show the single player with all the polish on ,we cant talk about graphics and stuff like that.
In fact, it doesnt matter if they use normal mapping or not, the only thing it matters is if its fun or not. (I think its gonna be real fun)

Sorry for my english.

Nizz

One thing I'm wondering after finishing R1 again last night (on Hard) is how the two weapon limit will work out in R2? What I loved about R1 was the different weapons you had at your disposal for every imaginable situation. Like at the end of R1, it was great to have so many different weapons to choose from for the situation. In R2, your gonna have to be more tactical and put thought into what weapon you're carrying at any given point. I'm just worried about being stuck with the wrong or not most effective weapon for the situation. I'm wondering if the revolver in R2 will be counted as a second weapon? Or will it be the sidearm in addition to two main weapons. Like Carbine rifle/Bullseye gun?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
fps fanatic said:
One thing I'm wondering after finishing R1 again last night (on Hard) is how the two weapon limit will work out in R2? What I loved about R1 was the different weapons you had at your disposal for every imaginable situation. Like at the end of R1, it was great to have so many different weapons to choose from for the situation. In R2, your gonna have to be more tactical and put thought into what weapon you're carrying at any given point. I'm just worried about being stuck with the wrong or not most effective weapon for the situation. I'm wondering if the revolver in R2 will be counted as a second weapon? Or will it be the sidearm in addition to two main weapons. Like Carbine rifle/Bullseye gun?

Many FPS are using this configuration. It makes the gameplay a little more dynamic ,since you dont have to scroll any menu or anything to get your weapon.
Im cool with it. Insomniac Games has Fersis approval :lol

Jeseus

Fersis said:
But ,have you played R2 with all the polish and stuff ?
Until they show the single player with all the polish on ,we cant talk about graphics and stuff like that.
In fact, it doesnt matter if they use normal mapping or not, the only thing it matters is if its fun or not. (I think its gonna be real fun)

Sorry for my english.

sorry but even this pre-rendered cut-scene from SP dont use it on arms,helmet and on another body parts/objects.

Why do you thing people love Gears of Wars?? It has tons of normal mapping and normal mapping hide polycount.

Jeseus said:
sorry but even this pre-rendered cut-scene from SP dont use it on arms,helmet and on another body parts/objects.

Why do you thing people love Gears of Wars?? It has tons of normal mapping and normal mapping hide polycount.

The video you posted looks like it has pretty obvious normal mapping on the arms and legs. Unless you're assuming every wrinkle is mesh.

Why the fuck do I have to wade through lists of 360 games in a RESISTANCE thread to find RESISTANCE info??.

I guess if people had their pissing contests over PM no one else would be able to see you think huh?

RavenFox

Banned
Wow the hate is strong in this thread. Every fucking time its a bitch fest against Insomniacs stuff and every time they own the day.

the 360 trolls need to

gtfo~4.jpg

Jeseus said:

I doubt that's the reason people love Gears... IMO most UE3.0 over do it, including Gears.

I think all of us are going to be in for a big surprise once the final game ships.

Remember how amazed all of us were of the Iceland screens?

Yeah, that was over 8 months ago....

Insomniac has been holding back on us, only showing the same sections/levels over and over again rather than new stuff. Hell, they still haven't even shown us much of the single player outside of Chicago.

I think we should really reserve judgment until the final game drops. I'm confident it will really take us by surprise. This is insomniac's third game on the PS3, and they've been iterating on an initial design that was established way before production even hit. This game will be highly polished, and one of the most value packed games I'll ever likely buy.

It's just odd that we haven't heard much more info...hopefully they kick it into gear pretty soon. Remember last year how much Ratchet footage we had?

Top Bottom