• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Dever

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I think all of us are going to be in for a big surprise once the final game ships.

Remember how amazed all of us were of the Iceland screens?

Yeah, that was over 8 months ago....

Insomniac has been holding back on us, only showing the same sections/levels over and over again rather than new stuff. Hell, they still haven't even shown us much of the single player outside of Chicago.

I think we should really reserve judgment until the final game drops. I'm confident it will really take us by surprise. This is insomniac's third game on the PS3, and they've been iterating on an initial design that was established way before production even hit. This game will be highly polished, and one of the most value packed games I'll ever likely buy.

It's just odd that we haven't heard much more info...hopefully they kick it into gear pretty soon. Remember last year how much Ratchet footage we had?

I think the original screens were supposed to represent what the final game will look like in November, not what it looked like 8 months ago.

Dever said:
I think the original screens were supposed to represent what the final game will look like in November, not what it looked like 8 months ago.

Kind of, yeah, but I'm still there they've made improvements since then.

I was listening to one of the podcasts, and they were talking about how old those iceland pics looked compared to what it looked like now.

Goldrusher

f0ydq8.jpg

These guys - zombie chimera - are going to be soooooooo scary.

patsu

Frankly, I am more interested in the actual gameplay and advanced group AI JS hinted at last time.

I think as it stands today, the scale is more than adequate. The lighting is getting there but would be great if it's like the latest trailer. The AI is the one that keeps me replaying and talking. Most importantly, the actual gameplay (Weapon selection, pace, aiming, etc. ...) is the one that matters most to me.

Goldrusher said:
These guys - zombie chimera - are going to be soooooooo scary.

Cool ! The jaw should be dangling or almost falling to increase the scare factor.

iceatcs

Seriously we haven't seen any new SP gameplay footage since E3 with SF (best one) and Chicago (Dark alley and huge ass boss)

I think it will be lot nicer when the new SP videos coming, because we have seen great lighting on Orick intro and Sedative Cinematic.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Jeseus said:
The big problem of R2 is lack of NORMAL MAPPING.

Maybe JS can tell us why they dont use it.
They use it plenty. Hell, it was VERY obvious even from the first Chicago vids.

jmd494

I am having a hard time remembering from R1? What is the origin of Chimera?

1. I'm guessing they were an alien species. But then they came to earth and propagated a virus that transformed humans into chimera? Is that right?

2. What does a pure-breed chimera look like? Are they just the hybrids (i.e. exactly the same as humans + virus + chimera manufacturing plant treatment)?

3. If it's just a virus, how does it cause the humans' skulls to change shape, their teeth to grow and get sharper, and them to grow additional eyes? Is that explained somehow in the storyline?

4. If it is the virus that transforms people, why do some people go to the chimera manufacturing plants and some are transformed from just the virus?

5. Why do the chimera need to wear those cooling packs in their back (i.e. if they need them to live, how did the first chimera live long enough to develop those packs)?

theBishop

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
I am having a hard time remembering from R1? What is the origin of Chimera?

1. I'm guessing they were an alien species. But then they came to earth and propagated a virus that transformed humans into chimera? Is that right?

2. What does a pure-breed chimera look like? Are they just the hybrids (i.e. exactly the same as humans + virus + chimera manufacturing plant treatment)?

3. If it's just a virus, how does it cause the humans' skulls to change shape, their teeth to grow and get sharper, and them to grow additional eyes? Is that explained somehow in the storyline?

4. If it is the virus that transforms people, why do some people go to the chimera manufacturing plants and some are transformed from just the virus?

5. Why do the chimera need to wear those cooling packs in their back (i.e. if they need them to live, how did the first chimera live long enough to develop those packs)?

1. The origin of the Chimera is still somewhat mysterious. The virus originated in Russia, but it is unclear if it is alien or synthetic, or something else.

2. As far as we know, there is no "pure breed" chimera. They've taken many completely different forms depending on what conversion process the host bodies have undergone.

3. Probably some combination of the virus and conversion process. This is not entirely explained so far.

4. I don't think people are just transformed from the virus (except for Hale). Those infected fall into a coma and are delivered to conversion centers by Carriers.
1z6z506.jpg

5. The cooling packs are required because the Chimera have a higher rate of metabolism that causes their bodies to heat up. This may be because they are using humans bodies. Not every Chimeran form has cooling, so it may have something to do with the complexity of the transformed body.

Prezhulio

theBishop said:
1. The origin of the Chimera is still somewhat mysterious. The virus originated in Russia, but it is unclear if it is alien or synthetic, or something else.

2. As far as we know, there is no "pure breed" chimera. They've taken many completely different forms depending on what conversion process the host bodies have undergone.

3. Probably some combination of the virus and conversion process. This is not entirely explained so far.

4. I don't think people are just transformed from the virus (except for Hale). Those infected fall into a coma and are delivered to conversion centers by Carriers.
1z6z506.jpg

5. The cooling packs are required because the Chimera have a higher rate of metabolism that causes their bodies to heat up. This may be because they are using humans bodies. Not every Chimeran form has cooling, so it may have something to do with the complexity of the transformed body.

holy shit. i forgot how much RFOM lore fuckin' rocks, starting replay now.

Ploid 3.0

Prezhulio said:

I also started replaying. I forgot how creepy this game was, and tense. Mostly tense because of the health system (love it). It makes me wonder how scary R2 will be. Just watching the Radio USA, Henry Stillman trailer again and the despair of it makes me think R2 will kick up the tension a bit more.

I hear there's a new health system, I hope they make it so you're edgy if you get too much damage in single player. In stuff like CoD4 I can't help myself but hide until my health is full again. With R1 each level down makes me more careful, and when I'm at that 1 bar things get interesting without a safety net.

I hope R2 scare the crap out of me at times. I was just now playing that level where Hale is split up from the group (the one where you see the tunnel worm thing for the first time). Going through those corridors with the random chimera seen running past a tunnel gave me the chills the first time I saw it, and sometimes after. Now with these new grims, and their speed hah, dude, there's so much potential for crazy scares.

Also I can't wait for the boss fights.

Edit: another thing, Resistance 1 still looks good to me. Seriously, after playing CoD4 (♪♪♪aaaahhhaaahhh aaahh ♪♪♪) it looks good to me. For that mission I said I was on. After the opening motion where they take control of you and look around. I started looking at the ground and stuff. It looked pretty darn dirty and littered to me.

Nov. 4th! It's now Monday, another day down.

we need all the 360 trolls to leave this thread amd go to the Socom Confrantation threads, we just need someone to talk to about the game that's all, because no else does.

Ploid 3.0

Rapping Granny said:
we need all the 360 trolls to leave this thread amd go to the Socom Confrantation threads, we just need someone to talk to about the game that's all, because no else does.

Dude, Crossroads at night was beautiful. The sound in Socom Confrontations is D:. Sorry for off topic, but dude SOCOM!

I can't imagine how the jungle maps will look and sound hah. The night Crossroads is so alive with bugs and ambiance.

FightyF said:
This is like the second time you've posted this, stop it with the freaking macros.

Sorry but it needed to be posted again. Its not like I am clubbing baby seals or something. Also, its not like its a huge picture.

OK, back to the topic at hand. The R1 health system was pretty good, but I found myself backtracking to get health. Not that this is a huge deal, but I feel like the flow of the game is better when you are constantly moving forward.

As far as the Graphics go for R1, I feel like they have aged extremely well. Sure it has an over abundance of browns but the overall execution and feel was very good. Most of the levels have there own feel which is really good.

I can't wait for R2!!! IMHO it is going to surprise a lot of people with its art direction. This is the 4th game on Insomniac Engine and judging by R&C QFB, the lighting is going to be improved a whole lot over the first game!

i was liek wtf

Neo Member
cjtiger300 said:
OK, back to the topic at hand. The R1 health system was pretty good, but I found myself backtracking to get health. Not that this is a huge deal, but I feel like the flow of the game is better when you are constantly moving forward.
that was very good. not too easy as you cant hide behind a corner to regenrate to full, not too hard since you can absorb few shots even with a single bar of health.

Ploid 3.0

cjtiger300 said:
Sorry but it needed to be posted again. Its not like I am clubbing baby seals or something. Also, its not like its a huge picture.

As far as the Graphics go for R1, I feel like they have aged extremely well. Sure it has an over abundance of browns but the overall execution and feel was very good. Most of the levels have there own feel which is really good.

I can't wait for R2!!! IMHO it is going to surprise a lot of people with its art direction. This is the 4th game on Insomniac Engine and judging by R&C QFB, the lighting is going to be improved a whole lot over the first game!

Yea I can see that. I would also backtrack and save health pickups to be able to come back to them. I guess if it don't regenerate so fast or maybe if it don't when you're in battle? I don't know, I'm sure Insomniac knows best. I'm just in their car, enjoying their ride. :D

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yea I can see that. I would also backtrack and save health pickups to be able to come back to them. I guess if it don't regenerate so fast or maybe if it don't when you're in battle? I don't know, I'm sure Insomniac knows best. I'm just in their car, enjoying their ride. :D

there's a really easy solution to this imo . let the player store healthpacks and use them whenever we need to. limit the amount of healthpack we can bring at a time.

jmd494

theBishop said:

1z6z506.jpg

Thanks! :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Prezhulio said:

Yeah, it rocks.
This thread really hyped me ,so im replaying it.
I love the story ... that cloven guys ...mhmhmhm i hope they make a presence on R2.

SumGamer

I just wonder how the MP will works. Will there be rank and level like COD4 in the game or just plain pick up a weapon on the map UT style? Has it been revealed any where?

BTW, I can't really wait to get to try the beta. We are kinda late into September now.

Just to Note: The virus will turn people into chimeras, the processing plants are there to speed up the process. I actually think the plant was a kind of unneeded part of the story, even is if made a good location. I always thought it would be better if the virus changed people to full chimera in 24 hours.

Callibretto said:
there's a really easy solution to this imo . let the player store healthpacks and use them whenever we need to. limit the amount of healthpack we can bring at a time.

The problem is already solved in the first game, whenever you've gone through a tough fight, there's a more calm section to cool down the gameplay, and there's usually some health pack here and there, and in the more intense battleground, there are some health pack here and there.

theBishop said:
As far as we know, there is no "pure breed" chimera.

In the genetic sense, a 'pure bred chimera' is kind of an oxymoron to begin with. ;)

I guess the closest thing in R1 to a "pure" species among the invaders would be the Angels. I bet we'll find out they're not on top of the hierarchy in the end though. For one they were too easy to kill in the game, heh.

Also in regards to the overall plot, don't forget the buried tower thingy Hale and Co found in Cheddar Gorge. Ala WOTW, it looks like they've been camping out a lot longer than the Tunguska Explosion.

holy shit. i forgot how much RFOM lore fuckin' rocks

Yeah, that's one thing I hope isn't lost as the sequel takes on a more expository role. For all the flack it got for its spartan story telling, the first game did a great job of developing a real sense of mystery by keeping the bigger picture in the periphery. You had to do a little digging by reading the various archives, translating the morse code left by the Spec Ops, going through the timeline on the website etc, but the investment really girded the atmosphere of the game. In a way I think thats more effective than simply hitting you over the head with cut scenes and laying everything out there, because you're participating in filling in the blanks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So if we cry enough, Insomniac would release new footage ?
Because im pretty much ready to cry like a school girl :D

GeoramA

Dying for something in-game.

Curious to see how the Chicago level looks now. With the added polish, gore, and grims wearing pants.

thuway

Private Hoffman said:
So is the New York event going on right now?

N'Gai was talking about it in a recent podcast.
Well seeing as Jstevenson hasn't posted at all today, I'm guessing thats a Yes :D.

Trevelyan

Banned
thuway said:
Well seeing as Jstevenson hasn't posted at all today, I'm guessing thats a Yes :D.
Yeah, I'm hoping since he didn't post yesterday and hasn't posted today, the event is tonight. Hopefully that means footage either later tonight or tomorrow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I figured we would be getting something new today because of the West Coast event, which is the same as the NYC one. I guess it's all embargoed until tomorrow or something.

Ploid 3.0

Ok I'm going to skip on the preorder. I'll end up getting the game 3-10 days later that way. Unless I pay $7 and get it 2 days later, I'll pick it up on NOV4th and enjoy the media blitz soon.

By the time I would have gotten the game people will be telling me the tested and tried methods of winning the deadly swarm in Co-op. I'll be in diapers while they are sporting heavy armor.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Private Hoffman said:
Not Qore subscribers...

Qore subscribes should get in ASAP, right? Premier access and all that?
Sorry, I misunderstood. You'll get in with the preorders then, but all we know is early October for the date.

Top Bottom