• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Synless

Kagari said:
I thought there was a rumble patch for R1?
There is. My third playthrough had rumble, it was glorious. You need to download it from the online multiplayer section, it's not an automatic update like some games are when you pop in the disc.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
RoboPlato said:
How about you download the rumble patch for R1?
You need to start the multiplayer mode to download the patch.

JB1981 said:
god the forest looks so great

i keep thinking it's endor

looks like the chimera bullseye aim still homes in on you, when they're firing blind .. which i don't like

Seriously Orick was my favorite video with the water and the trees it looks so fricken lush.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Billen said:
Internet, via a series of tubes.

(doesn't it check for updates when you select multiplayer?)
I was suggesting downloading the patch, not asking how. I've only played R1 with rumble.

Dante

Private Hoffman said:
The lighting in this game is a million times better than R1 or Ratchet.

It really is special, I also love the balance of color. This shot in particular. Look at the use of color.

557.jpg

Synless

BruceLeeRoy said:
Seriously Orick was my favorite video with the water and the trees it looks so fricken lush.
The water is bad ass, I was quite surprised by it. The amount of trees and grass on the ground when they first show off the goliath was awesome too. This game will own bitches when it's released.

WinFonda

Dante said:
It really is special, I also love the balance of color. This shot in particular. Look at the use of color.

Yeah. Cheers to Insom for listening to the fans complaints about the first game's lack of color.

jmd494

I kinda wish their was KZ 2's cover mechanic...especially for co-op.

Co-op looks so hectic.

Having a team of 8 get stuck in and go on the defensive would be awesome.

Billen

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I was suggesting downloading the patch, not asking how. I've only played R1 with rumble.

I knew that. Of course. I was merely jesting, good sir.

And by jesting I mean "made a boo boo".

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I'm playing through the first game now (just passed Cheddar Gorge last night), and one of my major gripes is the batshit redonkulous checkpoint system. Has there been any word that that's been addressed for the sequel? Also glad to see a more varied color palette.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The game is not finished yet right ?
Ive seen a lot of pop up (Or scenery streaming) , hope they can fix that.
Other than is amazing !

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Len Dontree said:
I'm playing through the first game now (just passed Cheddar Gorge last night), and one of my major gripes is the batshit redonkulous checkpoint system. Has there been any word that that's been addressed for the sequel? Also glad to see a more varied color palette.
The checkpoints seemed very forgiving in the Orick videos on Gametrailers, although they may only be that close together for demo purposes.

really really impressed with this now...I honestly think this looks as good as gears 2 in its own way...the iceland level especially looks incredible...this game is going to be seriously epic...

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
RoboPlato said:
The checkpoints seemed very forgiving in the Orick videos on Gametrailers, although they may only be that close together for demo purposes.

Cool, thanks; I haven't had a chance to watch the vids yet, but I'll be checking them out later tonight.

M3Freak

Banned
I'm going to put the money I saved not buying the CE into a Dual Shock 3 instead - and it's only because of this game. Man, I love Resistance.

Goldrusher

Now that I've seen the videos a few times and the initial wow-factor has dropped a bit...

good:
- level atmosphere
- detail (everywhere)
- animations, gore
- gameplay / weapons / enemies
- level size, draw distance (especially the forest is amazing)
- colors, textures

The list goes on and on. Pretty much everything is sooooo nice, so pretty. And the gameplay is good ol' Resistance, but bigger and better. The chameleons or whatever those invisible things are, very nice. And the huge beasts and machinery...

What needs fixing...

- I really hope the plants will move when the player runs through them + in the wind + by enemies ofcourse, especially those chameleon things
- a little pop-up / pop-in here and there

But I'm impressed. It looks amazing.

jmd494

Dante said:
I think the alt firs is IN the ammo itself. It detonates i think.
Yeah that's right...but they could still limit that (i.e. battery charges used up to send detonate signal, etc..)

Edit: anyone know if they do?

Fersis

Goldrusher said:
Now that I've seen the videos a few times and the initial wow-factor has dropped a bit...

good:
- level atmosphere
- detail (everywhere)
- animations, gore
- gameplay / weapons / enemies
- level size, draw distance (especially the forest is amazing)
- colors, textures

The list goes on and on. Pretty much everything is sooooo nice, so pretty. And the gameplay is good ol' Resistance, but bigger and better. The chameleons or whatever those invisible things are, very nice. And the huge beasts and machinery...

What needs fixing...

- I really hope the plants will move when the player runs through them + in the wind + by enemies ofcourse, especially those chameleon things
- a little pop-up / pop-in here and there

But I'm impressed. It looks amazing.

That plants thing...dont count on it, is really expensive.
And if they get rid of the pop-up / pop-in... well you got the best looking game on the PS3

Justin Dailey said:
Yeah that's right...but they could still limit that (i.e. battery charges used up to send detonate signal, etc..)

Edit: anyone know if they do?

They don't. The normal bullets explode on alt-fire, there's no alt-ammo.

iceatcs

Very big but it is worth, My last one for today.
resistance2_gp_goliath_gt.gif

I'm happy MP looks great improvement which it is most important. Single player look really adventure. Look forward in Nov.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
iceatcs said:
Very big but it is worth, My last one for today.
resistance2_gp_goliath_gt.gif

I'm happy MP looks great improvement which it is most important. Single player look really adventure. Look forward in Nov.
Which video is this from?

I'm a little concerned by the difficulty in the SP here. The chimera seems to have lost 50% of their HP, in R1 every chimera was a treat, here they don't feel that dangerous. The new health system doesn't help either. The magnum-like gun seems completely overpowered, it kills enemies with one bullet, even more when you detonate the bullets, and it has dozens of ammo.

Other than that, it looks really cool to play and looks surprisingly good. The lighting and the locations looks awesome. The 3 armed Ted Price was right :D

JCreasy

RoboPlato said:
How about you download the rumble patch for R1?

oh damn I'm super late. fuh real?

I fail . . .

Synless said:
There is. My third playthrough had rumble, it was glorious. You need to download it from the online multiplayer section, it's not an automatic update like some games are when you pop in the disc.

Ooooh ok. That explains it. I haven't played multiplayer in a while.

Fersis

JCreasy said:
oh damn I'm super late. fuh real?

I fail . . .

Well dont worry, if you wanna play some R1 online ,im up for it.

Proelite

RockmanWhore said:
I'm a little concerned by the difficulty in the SP here. The chimera seems to have lost 50% of their HP, in R1 every chimera was a treat, here they don't feel that dangerous. The new health system doesn't help either. The magnum-like gun seems completely overpowered, it kills enemies with one bullet, even more when you detonate the bullets, and it has dozens of ammo.

Other than that, it looks really cool to play and looks surprisingly good. The lighting and the locations looks awesome. The 3 armed Ted Price was right :D

I think it's called easy mode. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
RockmanWhore said:
I'm a little concerned by the difficulty in the SP here. The chimera seems to have lost 50% of their HP, in R1 every chimera was a treat, here they don't feel that dangerous.
Maybe, but balanced against that they are going to be able flood the player with dozens more enemies than the first game. I wouldn't worry about the difficulty.

Edit: JB, maybe it's just a mistake on GT's part. Easy there.

RockmanWhore said:

Play on superhuman... you will not be complaining about it being too easy. There's a difficulty setting for everyone.

gbovo

Dante said:

557.jpg
lighting, self-shadowing on character models looks great, only downside is little to no environmental shadowing, which make the environments look somewhat sterile :(

Rikyfree

Fersis said:
That plants thing...dont count on it, is really expensive.
And if they get rid of the pop-up / pop-in... well you got the best looking game on the PS3

I agree about the plant thing, doesn't matter to me anyways. And I'm not trying to be a dick, and I'm just going to be as nice as I can when I say this, albeit blunt: I still think KZ 2 looks better, but that's just my opinion and I also think that R2 comes in at an extremely close 2nd though, but that is only due to the art direction, nothing more. That aside, I also feel like I need new pants after those videos, lets say with a white patch over the front so it can hide any stains the next time I see this game....

JB1981

any links to really good hd vids? gamevideos isn't bad but the gamma settings are really high and the compression is kinda crap.

where is blim when you need him?

jmd494

Rikyfree said:
I agree about the plant thing, doesn't matter to me anyways. And I'm not trying to be a dick, and I'm just going to be as nice as I can when I say this, albeit blunt: I still think KZ 2 looks better, but that's just my opinion and I also think that R2 comes in at an extremely close 2nd though, but that is only due to the art direction, nothing more. That aside, I also feel like I need new pants after those videos, lets say with a white patch over the front so it can hide any stains the next time I see this game....
KZ2 is probably better (looking)...but they contrast each other SO much that I'm sure they can coexist peacefully! :D

gbovo

Rikyfree said:
yeah, I also think KZ2 looks a bit better, but mostly cause it, from what I see, has a higher ratio of dynamic-to-baked lighting than R2. But R2 clobbers it with features and this...

557.jpg

...looks better than any KZ2 character model I've seen so far.

Fersis

Justin Dailey said:
KZ2 is probably better (looking)...but they contrast each other SO much that I'm sure they can coexist peacefully! :D

Well, Killzone 2 had like 3 times more development time , and is developed by guerrilla and a couple of SCEE studios.

R2 is done by Insomniac and SCEA , in a much shorter time.

What im trying to say is : Insomniac rocks ! :D

iceatcs

Justin Dailey said:
KZ2 is probably better...but they contrast each other SO much that I'm sure they can coexist peacefully! :D
Killzone 2 is very long development - 4 years+ It is understandable why it got really good graphics, but R2 is more priority for gameplay and online which I always want something to replay more on one game because it rather be so worth after I spent my cash.

womfalcs3 said:
5+ MB for that gif?

Does PhotoBucket charge you for that?
I know, I am trying to cut it but I need whole part.
But it is good compession cos it has ~480 frames
Yeah I do have full account because other reasons for website.

EDIT: my monthly bandwidth is 100GB/month with only 120MB stuffs - LOL

Pistolero

I agree about the plant thing, doesn't matter to me anyways. And I'm not trying to be a dick, and I'm just going to be as nice as I can when I say this, albeit blunt: I still think KZ 2 looks better

Looking good is a phrase I dislike. I'm much more interested in the technical side, regardless of anyone's appreciation of the art. I think that Resistance style (and Insomniac graphics philosophy) targets scope and frantic action befor anything else. It's a testimony to their talents that such large landscape, hosting incalculable chimeras still look as good as it does.

Pistolero

Well, Killzone 2 had like 3 times more development time , and is developed by guerrilla and a couple of SCEE studios.

R2 is done by Insomniac and SCEA , in a much shorter time.

What im trying to say is : Insomniac rocks !

Resistance 2 is also the culmination of an already existing engine, tweaked and polished to death, though Killzone 2 sucked more man(brain)power and budget. Anyway, I still think that people refer to is visual touches and effects that give Guerilla title more personality than any other title. But Resistance 2 holds its own auite well. Congrats to Insomniac !

Rikyfree

Oh, I know they're talented. I can't think of any other studio that pumps out titles every year with AAA quality. I just think KZ 2 appeals more to my tastes, but when it comes to development studio powerhouses, Insomniac is in a league of their own in my book.

Top Bottom