• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

DrPirate

Banned
I don't know how to convey my excitedness and rise of hype without total degradation of my intelligence.

:D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Can you guys see that I'm happy?

DO YOU SEE IT?! CAN YOU TELL?!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=243265
Revolutionary enough to stand up well against the likes of Killzone 2 when it arrives next February? "I've seen Killzone. I haven't had the luxury of playing it," says Biegel. "I have seen their class-based thing and I think what they're doing is interesting, but you know, I don't think it's as involved as what we're going to do. It's kind of tacked on. But I think they're moving in the right direction obviously, because they're moving towards classes - which I can guarantee is the right direction."

Before that, there's that other platform-exclusive shooting franchise to contend with. Does Biegel think the original Resistance was a better game than Gears of War? "Oh, man. I think they were doing different things, and they continue to be very different games," he says. "Our approach is very different, the scale of our game is much larger, the size of the enemies you've seen is much much larger... I'm very confident we have a robust set of features to compare."

Determines The Amount Of Current Through The Object For A Given Potential Difference Across The Object Again.
Let's give the final word to Price. What is it, in his opinion, that makes Resistance 2 the best shooter of 2008? "The co-op is doing something nobody else is doing right now, plus the competitive mode is doing stuff nobody else offers," he begins. "The single-player mode is continuing the Resistance story. It's got third-generation PS3 technology which should give it a look I don't think will be equalled by other games... I think players are going to be happily surprised with how much it's evolved since Resistance: Fall of Man."

And of course: "We're very proud of what we've done, but ultimately it's up to the players to decide."
Nice!

Big-E

I cannot be the only one that noticed this but doesn't the voice in competitive multiplayer sound a lot like one of the Protoss voices from Starcraft? Whenever I hear this Resistance announcer, all I can think of is that I require additional pylons.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
DrPirate said:
I don't know how to convey my excitedness and rise of hype without total degradation of my intelligence.

:D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Can you guys see that I'm happy?

DO YOU SEE IT?! CAN YOU TELL?!

The game's definitely offering a lot of content and features, but do remember, despite the beauty of the screens and videos that those of us who played it at these recent events are only providing impressions of narrow slices of the game. And even within those slices it's hard to say whether the encounter-to-encounter gameplay, which was so strong in "Gears" and "Halo" is going to be as good in "R2." The franchise looks like it's heading in the right direction, but I don't think any of us reporters came out of last night's event saying we'd just played the hands-down game of the year. (I can't speak for those at the LA event). It was a good showing that shows good progress. It's encouraging, but I wouldn't expect the moon and the stars from the game yet, not until people get more time with it.

stephentotilo said:
The game's definitely offering a lot of content and features, but do remember, despite the beauty of the screens and videos that those of us who played it at these recent events are only providing impressions of narrow slices of the game. And even within those slices it's hard to say whether the encounter-to-encounter gameplay, which was so strong in "Gears" and "Halo" is going to be as good in "R2." The franchise looks like it's heading in the right direction, but I don't think any of us reporters came out of last night's event saying we'd just played the hands-down game of the year. (I can't speak for those at the LA event). It was a good showing that shows good progress. It's encouraging, but I wouldn't expect the moon and the stars from the game yet, not until people get more time with it.

Hmm, if it improves greatly on the first I will be pleased....from what I played of Gears and Halo 3, they didn't blow me away though...from my own tastes, crysis was a far more impressive single player experience than halo 3...multiplayer may be a different matter, but I dont play online

KGKK

Banned
Damn it looks amazing. This will be the fourth product I will buy from Insomniac this gen. They are really amazing developers.

iceatcs

More Gifs as request :p

Resistance2OrickGameplay.gif

Resistance2Orick2miniboss1Gameplay.gif

antiloop

stephentotilo said:

That's fine with me. Halo 3 was nothing special and Gears is a totally different game. It's still awesome though.

I am just in it for the co-op anyway. Still the game gives me a Crysis vibe and I loved Crysis. :)

thuway

stephentotilo said:

Thats pretty reasonable, I think the hype comes from our previous experiences from the developer. The wealth of content, the scale, and the gorgeous graphics have us gushing with hyperbole. Most of us have faith that Insomniac will approach level design intelligently, demonstrate multiple "holy shit" moments, and give us one of the best shooter experiences possible.

FirewalkR

I've been watching videos at ign (great quality) and gamevideos and honestly, when it's released, I think this is going to be the most graphically advanced title in a console.

I was not expecting such high overall image quality. Incredible lighting, textures (lol look at the ground in the forest), insane amounts of vegetation, insane geometry everywhere, I won't even talk about the water (especially in the real-time cutscenes, you can notice a slight drop in quality once the player is given control again, but I think it's more a drop in lighting than in the water sim), the explosions!! my god the smoke in the explosions! It's all looking so damn good.

Also, I usually don't laugh at other people's opinions because, hey, it's an opinion, but today I lol at the stiq o' joy, what the hell else do they want? Freaking amazing, and a true lesson to all those who doubted Insomniac's technical skills.

Damn, I played a bit of the private beta and, even keeping in mind it was both a beta and multiplayer gameplay, this is looking so beyond it that despite having always known Insomniac would deliver, it's still better than I was expecting at this point, given that we're close to launch.

Now, I still haven't pre-ordered the CE. What's the best place for an european to get it?

stephentotilo said:

Well of course, Resistance 2 won't be the game of the year, that's LittleBigPlanet.

Resistance 2 should easily be the first person shooter of the year, though. What else will be better?

DrPirate

Banned
stephentotilo said:

Yeah, I can understand, but the thing is, what really gets me about Resistance is the story. For me, this is the reason I stood in line for Halo 2 and 3. I wanted a game where I have to defend the Earth against overwhelming odds.

Halo 2 and 3 failed me miserably on that criterion (still crazy fun games that I love and will never trade in because I love the style, music and gameplay) but Resistance takes the "earth defense" to whole new levels. Judging from the single-player footage this is exactly what I want, I honestly don't care about the multiplayer, I'll be playing Gears 2, but the coop and Single-Player are very exciting for me.

SpokkX

judging by the gametrailers videos...

It still looks very sterile and static. For example the cars are obviously bolted to the ground.

Enemy animation is also lacking.

I like that there is more color and the lightning seems improved though

SpokkX said:

It still looks very sterile and static. For example the cars are obviously bolted to the ground.

They weren't in the first game, what makes you think they are here?

So, what is the deal with the main assault rifle iron sight aiming? the multiplayer videos had the correct good looking ones, but this videos shows the odd slanted one.

JB1981

Watching the dev walkthru now.

WOW.

the game looks LOVELY, runs GREAT and I am loving the subtle gameplay tweaks - fuck yea fuck yea fuck yea

it almost looks a generation beyond the original

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just have one question that I haven't seen answered anywhere yet, can the co-op campaign be done in split screen? My roommate and I play a lot of co-op and I'm hoping we can get into this the same way as some other games.

iceatcs

SpokkX said:

The car do move. (look at left when rocket hit it)
Resistance2Orick2miniboss1Gameplay.gif

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Private Hoffman said:
Well of course, Resistance 2 won't be the game of the year, that's LittleBigPlanet.

Resistance 2 should easily be the first person shooter of the year, though. What else will be better?

Unless you're counting the very different "Left4Dead," there probably isn't another game in contention for that crown. Not that I can think of. [Edit: How's "Crysis: Warhead"? I haven't tried that]

To address what some other people have been writing here, yes, the sense of scale and the story both seem like they'll deliver, especially the former. You're fighting lots of very large things in this game.

JB1981

god the forest looks so great

i keep thinking it's endor

looks like the chimera bullseye aim still homes in on you, when they're firing blind .. which i don't like

Guled

RoboPlato said:
I just have one question that I haven't seen answered anywhere yet, can the co-op campaign be done in split screen? My roommate and I play a lot of co-op and I'm hoping we can get into this the same way as some other games.
yes it can

anyway, this game looks really awesome. Insomniac delivered

patsu

SpokkX said:

The animations are driven by the AI. I don't think we have seen the full enemy AI yet. There's supposed to be group AI too.

Viva SPU Shaders !

JB1981

i like the final look of the ravager shield

sprint mode is MUCH improved - very nice
does the bullseye alt fire highlight tagged enemies in green now? that's kinda cool

I'm still stunned at how well the did the body getting ripped apart. Doing something like that in-engine cutscene is hard enough, but real-time cutscene? :eek:

/me claps.

Bravo!

Ceb

The opening segment of the Orick level is so damn moody with the light barely penetrating the thick fog/dust and with the awesome particle effects. The music in the Goliath clip sounded ominous (in a good way). Gameplay animation looks superb.

There's still something slightly off about the L1 aim views that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's because it the camera is pulled back too far, showing too much of the gun instead of just the iron sights?

RoboPlato said:

I'd like to know this as well. Also... online co-op... do you need eight people or can you tackle it with 3 or 4?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MoonsaultSlayer said:
I'd like to know this as well. Also... online co-op... do you need eight people or can you tackle it with 3 or 4?
It scales based on how many people are playing it but if you want to take on 100 Chimera at a time, you need 8.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

You can tackle it with 3-4, fewer peeps means fewer bad guys gets spawned. It was in one of the interviews I believe.

JB1981 said:
god the forest looks so great

i keep thinking it's endor

looks like the chimera bullseye aim still homes in on you, when they're firing blind .. which i don't like

...well it is the bullseye :lol and it's better than them firing a tag and then obliterating you with locked-on fire all the time (It's fine online, but I'd hate to constantly shake my controller every time before firing back).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im impressed by how smooth the game runs with so many stuff on screen.
(Like R&C:TOD)
Insomniac delivers

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JCreasy said:
I can wait to play this game with rumble . . . FINALLY . . . Resistance w/rumble = 10 Leagues of WIN!
mhmhm i bought Resistance like one month ago, and it had rumble (Patch)

Top Bottom