• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Wollan

TTP said:
We sure game is coming out on the 4th right? Ted just says "November" in the Gamespot interview.
It's for sure in the US. Been in their most recent Press Release and so forth.
EU date is not yet nailed down though (and the Nov.28th Amazon.co.uk date makes sackboy nervous).

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
posted?

resistance-2-20080923112805810_640w.jpg

resistance-2-20080923112811466.jpg

morlock

Any words on the voice actors for different languages?

I wanna know who does the Swedish voiceover for Hale. In the first trailer released on EU/SWE PSN it sounded like Mikael Persbrandt, but I'm not reallty sure...

Ricker

Imagine if the 1953 Chimereans won that war,what things would be like today :p this is an alternate universe/time(doh) so anything goes,even Bluetooth Headsets :D

pr0cs

I sure looks improved graphically, the recent gametrailer videos are must watch IMO, even if you have a passing fancy for this game.
The gunplay still seems a little dull though, still looks a lot of "been there, done that" which I got from the original but graphically the game looks awesome.

patsu

pr0cs said:
I sure looks improved graphically, the recent gametrailer videos are must watch IMO, even if you have a passing fancy for this game.
The gunplay still seems a little dull though, still looks a lot of "been there, done that" which I got from the original but graphically the game looks awesome.

Gameplay and newness are 2 different things. World of Warcraft didn't really bring anything new, but it's super polished and addictive. R2 may very well do the same thing.

In any case, there are new weapons and monsters, plus the community feature that's not shown yet.

Loudninja

Resistance 2's overall presentation is, unsurprisingly, a significant improvement on its predecessor. The graphics have seen a sizable bump in detail and overall scale that really sells the epic-war-movie vibe. The game benefits from a host of technical bells and whistles that Insomniac has been perfecting in its previous PlayStation 3 titles. Lighting in the game is impressive and runs the gamut from flashy to subtle. Little touches, such as the game's new water and enhanced gore (now with more chunks and viscera), are nicely folded into the game. The most impressive thing right now, though, is the massive scale, which comes from the assorted giant enemies like the walker, the open feel to many of the areas, and the sheer number of things happening onscreen. The game's color palette has gotten more varied, which helps shake the bleak look of the original

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/resistance2/news.html?sid=6198084&tag=topslot;img;1&page=2

Gamespot seems really impresss with both the graphics and the gameplay.

Tom Penny

The scope of the game is incredible and it's look pretty damn good but the game still has alot of meh textures. The features in the game are ridiculous though.

M3Freak said:
That's because the asshole game "media" is actually PLAYING the game now, instead of making shit up like they did with R1.

We'll see how the final review turns out, but I won't be surprised if PS3 games keep getting panned.

I wonder if the Hailstorm will be in Multiplayer this time.

morlock

I really hope there will be an option to remove all hints during the game (except maybe icons showing where to open doors) and minimize the HUD and crosshair. Not liking the big crosshairs...

Tom Penny said:
The scope of the game is incredible and it's look pretty damn good but the game still has alot of meh textures. The features in the game are ridiculous though.

Judging by your post history, you just love everything Playstation.

Tom Penny

cjtiger300 said:
Judging by your post history, you just love everything Playstation.

I just tell the truth and since I own a PS3 you kill the stupid bias toward Playstation crap. I just call it how I see it.

Tom Penny said:
I just tell the truth and since I own a PS3 you kill the stupid bias toward Playstation crap. I just call it how I see it.

the areas they showed recently seem to demonstrate improved textures compared to the chicago level though...especially the iceland level

wouwie

I pre-ordered the game a couple of weeks ago despite the fact that i'm not really into FPS games (especially those fast paced ones which involve shooting tons of monsters). But i'm willing to give this game a try. That and the fact that it was made by Insomniac. I'm already dreaming of the next Ratchet game using this improved engine...

The new footage does look awesome. Water looks great, fog is great. I'm hoping there will be a couple of levels with different weather/time of day/... The atmosphere seems spot on and we haven't heard much of the sound effects yet (for example in the woods). What impresses me the most (also in Tools Of Destruction) is all the stuff going around in the background and in the sky. In the Iceland level, you see planes crashing and stuff like that.

One minor "negative" point: i would have loved to see the graphics and atmosphere a bit rougher, grittier or whatever the word is. It's almost too polished and shiny in some places and still a bit too sterile. Maybe the technology isn't there yet, maybe it's the Ratchet way of doing things or maybe it's just intentional. Who knows...

In any case, looking forward to giving it a try. Looks a blast.

BeeDog

Maybe jstevenson can answer this, does R2 have a texture streaming solution in place like the one in ToD? I'm asking since no video really has the player up close to a wall or so.

Wollan

BeeDog said:
Maybe jstevenson can answer this, does R2 have a texture streaming solution in place like the one in ToD? I'm asking since no video really has the player up close to a wall or so.
It does. R1 had a texture budget of 150MB. R2 has 250-300MB.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BeeDog said:

Yeah, and full-on region streaming now so that we don't have to break locations up into multiple levels like we did in R1.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jstevenson said:
Yeah, and full-on region streaming now so that we don't have to break locations up into multiple levels like we did in R1.
This is awesome news. I thought the progression would be the same but it's nice to see that it's going to be more seamless.

Also, is the build that the press played the same as the build for the public beta?

BeeDog

jstevenson said:

Nice to hear! So can we expect ToD-quality textures when viewing a wall/an object up close? :D

ianp622

jstevenson said:

As a budding programmer I love hearing stuff like this.

If only I could pass your programming internship test I could work for you :D

M3Freak

Banned
thuway said:
Goddamn, can you guys imagine the next Ratchet.

Ya. Makes me giddy. I just hope they do away with the island hopping - I don't like having massive bodies of water/space/other shit between the bits of areas where you can do stuff. It's getting tiring and breaking the immersion (for me, at least). It should be one massive area that slowly opens up, perhaps like in Jak.

[ yes, I know - totally OT ]

thuway

M3Freak said:
Ya. Makes me giddy. I just hope they do away with the island hopping - I don't like having massive bodies of water/space/other shit between the bits of areas where you can do stuff. It's getting tiring and breaking the immersion (for me, at least). It should be one massive area that slowly opens up, perhaps like in Jak.

[ yes, I know - totally OT ]
I just want a Zelda-esque Ratchet. Complete with huge buildings / castles / puzzles. One can dream right?

jstevenson said:

Cool. The only issues I saw with the engine were graphical pop-up, do you know if that will be fixed for the final version?

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
jstevenson said:

What about checkpoints? I thought they were really poorly spaced out in R1. If there's one area Resistance fans should concede to Halo, it would be the checkpoint system IMO.

antiloop

wouwie said:
One minor "negative" point: i would have loved to see the graphics and atmosphere a bit rougher, grittier or whatever the word is. It's almost too polished and shiny in some places and still a bit too sterile. Maybe the technology isn't there yet, maybe it's the Ratchet way of doing things or maybe it's just intentional. Who knows...

I agree to a point. But the forest is an exception. It looks so good and detailed. :)

Needs to be in an RPG.

BeeDog

Oh, I have a minor remark that I can't seem to forget now :lol :

The revolver needs to be a bit adjusted, its barrel isn't pointing at the crosshair properly, it's a bit off.

Top Bottom