• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

andycapps

Private Hoffman said:
Cool. The only issues I saw with the engine were graphical pop-up, do you know if that will be fixed for the final version?

Saw that too, most noticable for me was the area you dropped down in where you're fighting the titan in Orick.

Dibbz

You guys have got to admit that textures in places could be better. It's a shame to see ground and object textures muddy and flat. Really wished that it would have been one of the things they were going to improve. It's not terrible by any means but it aint no Uncharted either.

EagleEyes

Wow, these new vids are amazing. Being a multi console owner this fall is going to absolutely kill my bank account. There is just too many great games coming this year and they seem to be evenly spread on PS3 and 360. God I can't wait. The water effects in R2 look a couple generations ahead of what was in R1. Hype +1

Nizz

PuppetMaster said:
The most irresponsible wreckless military vehicle I have seen since the Killzone dropships! Have they ever heard of harnesses! Our tax payer dollars are paying for that fucking death machine for our dear airmen?! Fucking appalled!

Otherwise it looks amazing
:lol :lol Reading this and watching the gif had me laughing hard! I still don't get troops being dropped into hot zones so recklessly? Not strapped down (R2), open air ships (K2)... But it does give it a hell of a dramatic effect! ;) R2 is really looking sweet. I love that you can sprint in single player now. There were times I wanted to get from point A to B a little quicker in R1 :D And I think that Magnum might be my new favorite weapon in R2. Gun looks dead sexy...

patsu

Dibbz said:
You guys have got to admit that textures in places could be better. It's a shame to see ground and object textures muddy and flat. Really wished that it would have been one of the things they were going to improve. It's not terrible by any means but it aint no Uncharted either.

I don't know. I don't even see the so-called muddy and flat textures while in-game. Unlike Uncharted, R2 is a fast-paced game. The AI, animations and interactivity are much more important than super detailed textures.

What they have so far is more than good enough. Not to mention they have post-processing to give visual depth and *variety* to the player's view. There is no repetitive level here too.

thuway

SaitoH said:
Still need an official word on splitscreen.
This. And JStevenson is all the polish put in? I'd like to see those explosions improve just a slight notch or two. I can see those guys at Insomniac sneaking in a little bit more tech before its all said and done.

Speaking of which Resistance 2 needs a patrioic ad campaign. Seeing as its out on election day AND goes all over the USA, it would make too much sense.

Dante

Some of the ground textures are pretty impressive:

540.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Y2Kev said:
What's the most impressive video I can watch so I can stop thinking this game is ugly?
This is not the game for you, dont worry,you will find another one... this one is all mine !!!

kevm3

This is only Insomniac's second effort with an FPS and we see how amazing of a job they are doing. When can we expect an Insomniac RPG?

FirewalkR

kevm3 said:
This is only Insomniac's second effort with an FPS and we see how amazing of a job they are doing. When can we expect an Insomniac RPG?

Insomniac is already saving Sony in multiple fronts, no need for more.

Unless that's what the new offices are about. :lol

KZObsessed

Dante said:
Check the dev walkthrough through the forrest on Gametrailers, but Honestly if the screenshots aren't doing it for you I'm not sure if that will change your mind.

The Goliath clip on Gamevideos is also pretty awesome.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21582

That does look phenomenal. I think the improvement between R1 -> R2 is one of the biggest I've seen.

The other guy in this vid tho, anyone else just can't stand him? His character model is ugly too, I hate him... I hope he dies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
thuway said:
Seriously, Insomniac are the saviors of Playstation 3.
Well, you speak the truth good sir.
(Also : Fixed :D )

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
SaitoH said:
Still need an official word on splitscreen.

We're still doing final optimizations and trying to ensure things are running well:

But what I can confirm is NO split-screen campaign - it's a one-player campaign. And Offline split-screen co-op campaign is in the game.

Facism

jstevenson said:
We're still doing final optimizations and trying to ensure things are running well:

But what I can confirm is NO split-screen campaign - it's a one-player campaign. And Offline split-screen co-op campaign is in the game.

So i can't take my brother online with me for the 8 player deal?

DuckRacer

Background history: I loved R1's single-player, and thought that the single player footage shown thus far has been uninspired and generally mediocre. And ugly.

Then I watched the GameVideos Iceland vids. HOLY FUCKING CRAP, this is amazing! The water effects, the goliaths, and the close-up with the angel... oh my god. I haven't seen anything from the forest level either.

The blur combined with the new sprinting is awesome too. I really wonder what the Chicago level looks like now, with the new water and updated effects...

I still am not completely convinced that the 2-weapon system is the way to go, but holy crap Insomniac, why did I ever doubt you that much :O

SaitoH

jstevenson said:

Thanks muchly for the info.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
To JS and all fellow gaffers I eat crow and apologize. The game is beautiful, even the multiplayer. I cannot wait for this to come out. I already couldn't as it was.

lorddct

jstevenson said:

Ah booo. I really liked the Co-op campaign in Resistance 1 :(

Kittonwy

Banned
kevm3 said:

Never. They're already spreading themselves too thin by releasing a title a year, I would rather see them just put out a super high quality AAA game every other year, be more like Bungie and less like Treyarch.

ymmv

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Never. They're already spreading themselves too thin by releasing a title a year, I would rather see them just put out a super high quality AAA game every other year, be more like Bungie and less like Treyarch.

So far that's just what Insomniac's been doing: both R:FoM and R&C:ToD were triple A titles and the new Resistance games is firmly in that elevated category too. I trust these games to keep putting out the good stuff.

jstevenson said:
Did I rule that out?

Damn, you tease.

Guys, i'm sure that our friends at Insomniac know how much we all want this feature in and they don't want to promise it until they know they can deliver it. I would bet we haven't heard yay or nay on this feature yet because there is no way to be sure that it'll work until final optimizations.

It's been said before that when you've got 8 people that the number of enemies scales up so if Insomniac allows two people to jump into online co-op then they need to know that their code can stand up to rendering 100 enemies in split screen. James knows we want it and i'm sure the guys are trying their hardest to make it a reality.

Remember this moment from the Full Moon Show:

Question: "Will Resistance2 have split-screen online co-op"
Jstevenson: "stay tuned" aka we're trying

Kittonwy

Banned
ymmv said:
So far that's just what Insomniac's been doing: both R:FoM and R&C:ToD were triple A titles and the new Resistance games is firmly in that elevated category too. I trust these games to keep putting out the good stuff.

Let me correct that then, I meant best in everything in each genre, I would like to see a game from Insomniac on the PS3 where they literally DOMINATE in everything from visuals to gameplay to sheer content to sound and music to cinematic value, instead of making "one of" the AAA titles of the year, make TEH MOTHER OF ALL AAA titles of the year.

roman2k

jstevenson said:

Man, that sucks. I was so hyped for Resistance 2 because I recently played through the first game in co-op... 9 hours... at one sitting... twice.
Day 1

-viper-

Banned
jstevenson said:

So split-screen will exist in the co-op campaign? That's cool.

-viper-

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Let me correct that then, I meant best in everything in each genre, I would like to see a game from Insomniac on the PS3 where they literally DOMINATE in everything from visuals to gameplay to sheer content to sound and music to cinematic value, instead of making "one of" the AAA titles of the year, make TEH MOTHER OF ALL AAA titles of the year.
By that do you mean Insonmiac shouldn't develop games every year and should take a bit longer for a better product?

Top Bottom