• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

EktorPR

Funny thing is...when I watched the new vids two days ago, I found myself completely amazed by them. From the authentic, open, forested areas of Orick CA (my favorite!), to the Goliaths destroying everything in sight with the lovely hills of Ireland in the background, this game's visuals made my jaw drop to the floor like 10 times. Seriously. Before this, Resistance 2's visuals had never impressed me, yet I remained willing the entire time since the inital announcement...willing to give them a chance to polish up their baby, because while I'm not Insomniac's biggest fan, I do appreciate the work they've done during the past years, and I know that these are passionate people: it shows on every piece they've done since the early days of Spyro. They simply wouldn't let their product look or play bad in any way, shape or form.

I did not notice any lighting inconsistency in my time watching the videos, nor a notable absence of dynamic shadowing, and if I did, I'd have rationally understood why: this is a fucking MASSIVE game, and the bigger picture looks incredible enough to dismiss insignificant details like those. Rational, understanding people would also think like this...

Now, where is GAF's rationality? Why are we seeing this kind of bickering here only, and not in other threads also? To those that have a problem with this game's visuals: grow the fuck up and get out. We don't need your selfish commentary here. It's one thing to call out details in a constructive manner, but the drama that I've read here from some of these posters has nothing constructive about it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pai Pai Master said:
thisiskittonwydude.gif
The best part about this is that all along the gold standard of what they claim R2 should look like is based on those original "bullshots" which they can't even seem to see have been reproduced faithfully in this new footage. It's delicious irony.

spwolf

EktorPR said:
Now, where is GAF's rationality? Why are we seeing this kind of bickering here only, and not in other threads also? To those that have a problem with this game's visuals: grow the fuck up and get out. We don't need your selfish commentary here. It's one thing to call out details in a constructive manner, but the drama that I've read here from some of these posters has nothing constructive about it.

dude, you dont get it - bricks dont have self shadowing. How the fuck do you play game where bricks dont have self shadowing? impossible I say.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
frankthurk said:
Or around 1:20 where the Goliath shadow goes across the room.
Oh, I know, but I was specifically looking for the exact spot shown in the original screenshots because the whole bizarre narrative that's developed here is that the new footage doesn't duplicate what was shown in the original screenshots. It's easier to point out the absurdity of that claim by referencing the exact same area.

Dibbz

I've watched the Iceland footage and I know that it looks really good, but it just proves what I was saying earlier. The game is not consistant with it's visuals. Some levels (Iceland) look amazing with the lighting, shadows and everything going on but then there are parts where the game just looks flat and rubbish.

Look at this Orick video http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40343.html

It is really boring to look at and the walls and ground are extremely flat. Some parts look like they're not even textured but again in the same level there are some really nice places.

Dibbz said:
I've watched the Iceland footage and I know that it looks really good, but it just proves what I was saying earlier. The game is not consistant with it's visuals. Some levels (Iceland) look amazing with the lighting, shadows and everything going on but then there are parts where the game just looks flat and rubbish.

It is really boring to look at and the walls and ground are extremely flat. Some parts look like they're not even textured but again in the same level there are some really nice places.

don't completely agree...the orik level looks excellent...not sure how it looks rubbish though...seems like you are criticising the game overally harshly for being lacking in some areas in one aspect... I suppose halo 3 got the same flack though...nice lighting and design but blocky in alot of parts which made alot of people hate on the graphics. Overall, I thought it looked nice actually. A game doesn't need to be spectacular to look good... This looks a step up from that game though

I do agree however that the lighting in the iceland level is the best yet though

Dibbz said:

At what point does this become unnecessarily nit-picky?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
frankthurk said:
At what point does this become unnecessarily nit-picky?
When people start to think that bricks must self shadow to enjoy the gameplay.

Dever

Banned
Dibbz said:

I agree.

But I don't think I care...

SaitoH

It's worth mentioning that not all levels have the same lighting conditions. Soft, diffused lighting is quite different than a dramatic sunset. Sure sunsets look cooler, but there ya go.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
ss_preview_resist.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_resist1.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_resist2.jpg.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
:D It would be nice if Insomniac Games releases a PS3 Theme ,with wallpaper and icons....
I need my R2 theme

Fersis

jstevenson said:
Game to finish first, ya know.
Yeah, i was asking too much... maybe once it reaches Gold Master some artist could have some time?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I agree with Kitton here. The more Self Shadowing the better. Hopefully Insomniac in their great wisdom can spit shine that lighting engine just a bit more before release.

DrPirate

Banned
I'm still hoping that R1 gets patched for trophies after R2 comes out.

It won't happen, but I'm just throwing this out there. (I'd replay it after R2 comes out for trophies and story value (to remember what happened, etc)

Ploid 3.0

Dibbz said:
Let me explain what I'm talking about.

What makes these pics so good is the use of dynamic shadows.

resistance-2-20080126000728097.jpg

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/847/847911/resistance-2-20080126000723363.jp

Now look at this picture.

[img]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/912/912564/resistance-2-20080923112846023.jpg

What makes this picture look bad the shadows and lighting are a complete mess. Just look at the ground. I can't even tell where the light is hitting objects from.

I'm not bashing the game, I'm just expressing my dissapointment in Insomniac.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/13ye62e.png

Dibbz

Dever said:
I agree.

But I don't think I care...
When area's look like they havn't been textured it's hard not to care.

2887721325_5da8a57ced_o.jpg

2 seconds later everything looks pretty good.

2887721329_e3c63f9169_o.jpg

If the game had a consitant quality with the texture work and lighting it would look awesome, but it looks as if 2 seperate teams created sections of the levels and they just stuck them together.

patsu

PistolGrip said:
I agree with Kitton here. The more Self Shadowing the better. Hopefully Insomniac in their great wisdom can spit shine that lighting engine just a bit more before release.

I think we just have a case of "violent" agreement here.

I don't think people are against more self shadowing, but we just don't want to do it at the expense of other IMHO greater things. You got to admit Kittonwy's SotC FPS idea is more compelling than self shadowing bricks and grasses.

In this case, Insomniac already has a massive game (SP, offline co-op, online co-op, community play) with lots of changes. Smaller things have to wait.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
To note, you're also judging very specific shots out of compressed videos running in a flash player, which isn't really fair to the game or the artists.

patsu

WTH at "experts" using lousy videos to make their points.

In any case, there will be non-optimal scenes here and there in any games... unless the devs spent a lot more development time to hunt and polish all of them. At the current release schedule which I prefer, the Insomniac guys already over delivered.

If you want a smaller game or longer dev time, I am afraid you have to convince other gamers first. I can personally agree with smaller scale but then again, I would ask for incredible, never-see-before gameplay instead of these minor visual enhancements. In many cases, shortcuts are almost as good as the real rendering deal.

iceatcs

jstevenson said:
To note, you're also judging very specific shots out of compressed videos running in a flash player, which isn't really fair to the game or the artists.
I suspect too, the GUI is blurry as well.

This seriously needs to stop. Mods should put a ban on making lousy graphics comparisons and bitchfests using shitty compressed videos, for any game.

Also, there's a Resistance 2 "Chicago" Theme up on the PS Store. I didn't notice it until the other day when I was looking through the whole list.

Wolffen

JS: Is there a specific date set for Gamestop preorder beta code emails to go out? Any idea if it's next week or the week after?

Game looks great. Game played well in the private beta. I can't wait to get my hands on it. The co-op, SP and MP will mean this game has tons of replay-ability. I don't know why, but for some reason RFOM2 has been under a more than critical eye. I laughed when I saw those shots that were used as a comparison. :lol

I can make Uncharted look "sterile and lifeless" with selective screenshot grabs too.

uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053251499.jpg

Seriously folks, this nitpicking is getting ridiculous.

From what I've seen so far, Resistance 2 will be the best looking PS3 title to date (yes, even better than Uncharted), and is only currently rivaled by Killzone 2.

btkadams

so much bitching in this thread over graphics. i can barely filter out all the arguments and actually find the "latest info" advertised in the thread title.

patsu

WinFonda said:
You guys are arguing with Master Chief avatars. Think about that for a second.

Yeah, I am interested to see if he will switch avatar mid-way to Uncharted like the banned one who switched from Banjo to Ratchet, before him. :D

jstevenson said:

Yup. That explains the so called "inconsistency with lighting" I hear in this thread. Selective screen grabbing. I mean, how can you not appreciate the improvements from R1 to R2. The graphics really did improve exponentially.

As a R1 fan, I'm impressed.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dibbz said:
When area's look like they havn't been textured it's hard not to care.
You don't seem to be having a hard time not caring that the shot of Master Chief which you picked for your avatar hardly looks like it's been textured either.

kaching said:
You don't seem to be having a hard time not caring that the shot of Master Chief which you picked for your avatar hardly looks like it's been textured either.

one second...Im fairly sure that pic is a cg image. Also, I think he was nitpicking, not really trolling though. I can see what he means to some extent, but I think alot of aspects to do with the points he is making is just time of day...I thought the lighting in the forest was excellent

I'm so glad I have GAF to help explain to me what games look bad and why. Before I knew what self-shadowing was, I thought this game looked amazing. But now, I know better. The lack there of will truly ruin this game for me.

I am also glad that GAF was able to pick out the select few bad screenshots of small indoor environments embedded in the vast, expansive, lush outdoor forest level. I totally missed it watching the demo because I was too distracted by the frantic fire fights, freaky-stealthy rip-you-in-two monsters, and fluid dynamics simulation in the water puddles.
Shame on me for not having a keen eye, and thanks again GAF.

Ploid 3.0

patsu said:
WTH at "experts" using lousy videos to make their points.

In any case, there will be non-optimal scenes here and there in any games... unless the devs spent a lot more development time to hunt and polish all of them. At the current release schedule which I prefer, the Insomniac guys already over delivered.

If you want a smaller game or longer dev time, I am afraid you have to convince other gamers first. I can personally agree with smaller scale but then again, I would ask for incredible, never-see-before gameplay instead of these minor visual enhancements. In many cases, shortcuts are almost as good as the real rendering deal.

Btw my post with the the flash video screen grab was only to point out that the shadows are in the game, and that first screen was real. I made sure to not crop out the flash player. Like JS said, those things have the HD label on them, but its only for show. They're always compressed. I wasn't trying to compair.

The game videos, and screens shattered my expectations. Thank the crew for the run ability in single player JS. The game looks like a dream dood.

Dibbz

Andvary said:
Yep, don't feed the trolls please.
Why don't you look at my post history before jumping the damn gun. My avatar has no links to which console I affiliate myself with.

All I'm saying is I wish the game had more polish to it. If every area could look as good as Iceland R2 would look amazing. You guys are mindlesly shooting down people who think other wise.

I understand that the video's are compressed but can you honestly say that you can't see that there is a lack of detail in the pics I've posted?

Like I already said I'm getting the game day 1, I'm just dissapointed with how certain aspects have turned out. You're only kidding yourselves if you think that R2 is the best looking game on the console. That title belongs to Uncharted and MGS4.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
nelsonroyale said:
one second...Im fairly sure that pic is a cg image. Also, I think he was nitpicking, not really trolling though. I can see what he means to some extent, but I think alot of aspects to do with the points he is making is just time of day...I thought the lighting in the forest was excellent
I know it's from cg - that just makes it worse that he couldn't get grab with better texture :p

Dibbz is engaging in a common troll tactic of moving goalposts. First it was dynamic shadows and he got called on it. Now he's trying to shift to blurry textures instead.

Top Bottom