• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

mr_nothin

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Let's nitpick a video of a game that already looks fantastic. That'l show them. Then I will pwn them and laugh in my high chair. Yes, I will cherish this nitpicking!

Seriously, some of you on here. CJ said it, WOW. Enjoy the fucking game.
It's not nitpicking. It's pretty jarring and noticable.
Goes from a great looking forest...to that aweful looking down. It looks super flat.
There's nothing "high and mighty" about that.

Although...we do have the option of taking that role/position. We're the consumers and we're paying money for it. Game looks good and will more than likely play good.
But when there's a burnt steak on my plate...i'm going to complain about it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mr_nothin said:
Goes from a great looking forest...to that aweful looking down. It looks super flat.

Although...we do have the option of taking that role/position. We're the consumers and we're paying money for it. Game looks good and will more than likely play good.
Really, REALLY? I didn't even notice most of the stuff that people have been complaining about until it was pointed out to me and even then I don't care. Wait until you are actually playing the game before judging how these things will effect your experience.

mr_nothin said:
Hey...we can only go off of what they're feeding us so far....

Or you could wait, and reserve your judgment for when you're playing the game on your TV, instead of going by poorly compressed online videos on a small-ass monitor.

You have every right to complain about what you don't like with the visuals once you've put the game disc in your system, IMO, but certainly not now. It's not fair to the game or the people who've worked so hard on it.

DrPirate

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Or you could wait, and reserve your judgment for when you're playing the game on your TV, instead of going by poorly compressed online videos on a small-ass monitor.

You have every right to complain about what you don't like with the visuals once you've put the game disc in your system, IMO, but certainly not now. It's not fair to the game or the people who've worked so hard on it.

And I agree with this, rather than the shitfest that's occurred over an unfinished version of a game being viewed through a flash movie player.

Kittonwy

Banned
serious.gif

hem.gif

Hurhurhur.
Indifferent2.gif

PSYCHE!!!222!!!

*stonecold stunner everyonez*

RAWRRAWRRAWR!!!222!!!
angry.gif

ive got soul but im nota soldier

RAWRRAWRRAWR!!!222!!!
Indifferent2.gif

R2>COD4

nuff said

mr_nothin

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:

I dont have to wait and reserve my judgment. They're putting videos out there right now for me to judge. They're putting videos out there right now for me to get an idea of how the game looks and how they've progressed so far. Hell it might even be a 4 month old build but that still doesnt excuse the fact that it's pretty bad from how i'm seeing it. It could have been placeholder. I hope it is. If it is then my judgment will be swayed the other way.

Like I said, some scenes have AWESOME lighting and other look the complete opposite.

Who said anything about a small ass monitor?
:lol
I guess a 24' monitor is pretty small :|
And compressed video or not, you can clearly see the difference in the lighting.
You can use videos from the same website that has the same compression for all videos and you can see the difference in the quality of the lighting and shadowing in the different environments.

The lighting in that gif with the guy running across the rail, that has amazing lighting.
The town in my video? complete opposite.

Kittonwy

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I dont have to wait and reserve my judgment. They're putting videos out there right now for me to get an idea of how the game looks and how they've progressed so far. Hell it might even be a 4 month old build but that still doesnt excuse the fact that it's pretty bad from how i'm seeing it. It could have been placeholder. I hope it is. If it is then my judgment will be swayed the other way.

Like I said, some scenes have AWESOME lighting and other look the complete opposite.

Who said anything about a small ass monitor?
I guess a 24' monitor is pretty small :|
And compressed video or not, you can clearly see the difference in the lighting.
You can use videos from the same website that has the same compression for all videos and you can see the difference in the quality of the lighting and shadowing in the different environments.

The lighting in that gif with the guy running across the rail, that has amazing lighting.

Indifferent2.gif

*stonecold stunnerz mr_nothin*

RAWRRAWRRAWR!!!222!!!
Indifferent2.gif

mr_nothin said:

Do you always bitch about a steak before it even gets to the table? Wait until it gets to your table to start bitching at the very least!

mr_nothin

Banned
The lighting in this video:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21582

WTF AMAZING!

There's a HUGE difference in lighting between this video and the video of that town.
If you cant see that then you have eye problems.

cjtiger300 said:
Do you always bitch about a steak before it even gets to the table? Wait until it gets to your table to start bitching at the very least!

So now I cant complain about a sample?
My sample was burnt...
The flavor was off...

Doesn't mean I wont like the hamburger!

mr_nothin

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
You kick ass Kittonwy. Your bitching at least made some sense. Stun all them bitches!!!!!!
I'm bitching about the same thing that Kittonwy was bitching about.
I actually had to back him up after reading his post...because I agreed.

iceatcs

mr_nothin said:
Most of my gifs are gamevideo cos it is little better compession than Gametrailer which look textures little muddy. There is only one GT gif I made.
Resistance2_gp_targetprac.gif

borsdy

Banned
Hey guys! A ninja, a Master Ninja, given me one of those preorder skin codes. I am curious to see what they both look like.

gtj1092

mr_nothin said:

So do you enjoy any games? Or do you just find all the flaws in them. Do tell what games do you play with perfect graphics?

borsdy

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I thought the only skin was the Wraith one with the CE? Where are the other ones?
That is the one master ninja gave me, guess it isn't a preorder thing.

So no one knows what the CE re-skin rooks rike?

mr_nothin said:
I'm bitching about the same thing that Kittonwy was bitching about.
I actually had to back him up after reading his post...because I agreed.

Yeah, but you don't have a kitten in your avatar. So there!!!!!:D

davygee

Banned
Here are some (compressed) screens of the supposed terrible bits including shadows.

Those pre-baked shadows of the car are terrible, oh wait, how come the gun is being hit by the shadow and how come there is light coming through one of the car's windows and that isn't casting a shadow?

01uq3.jpg

Yeah, the car textures look weak, oh wait, it looks pretty good to me with nice lighting.

02fx2.jpg

Those stairs don't have any textures, how can Insomniac do this to us...oh wait, there is textures...I can see them!!

03ri4.jpg

Oh what a nice shadow left by the carcass of the titan, but wait, there is no dynamic shadows for the tiny bricks in the foreground....what is Insomniac thinking about? Who cares, it looks great?

04ml1.jpg

In short, the game looks fantastic and who really cares if the lighting isn't 110%.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I come back to say this :
Stone Cold kick ass...
Carry on with the nitpick...

Dibbz

davygee said:
In short, the game looks fantastic and who really cares if the lighting isn't 110%.
Problem is that the game lacks polish, which everyone was clamoring that it had.

Looking at the Iceland footage, the tech is there but they are not showing it off in all the levels. I'd rather they had harsh lighting conditions like they show in Iceland for all the levels to show off their lighting system. Orick is so plain and lack luster lighting wise you can't help but get drawn to the texture and model work.

davygee, can you honestly look at those screen shots and tell me that they look amazing for todays standards?

Dibbz said:
Problem is that the game lacks polish, which everyone was clamoring that it had.

Looking at the Iceland footage, the tech is there but they are not showing it off in all the levels. I'd rather they had harsh lighting conditions like they show in Iceland for all the levels to show off their lighting system. Orick is so plain and lack luster lighting wise you can't help but get drawn to the texture and model work.

davygee, can you honestly look at those screen shots and tell me that they look amazing for todays standards?

I honestly think it looks good...and Ive seen or played pretty much most of the good looking games...heck Im running through crysis again right now...

Anyway, I think you are in here just to run the game down a bit, since you are now questioning others opinions on the game etc

JudgeN

Dibbz said:

How many games look like R2 but run at full 720p have 2x AA and have a stable frame rate? Your whats wrong with the god damn HD console generation, all you want is flashy graphics and less performance. There has to be a middle were the 2 meet, but thats not what you want. Lets put dynamic shadows on everything and have the game run at sub 30 FPS FUCK YEA!!!

davygee

Banned
Dibbz said:

Yes, they do. What I think the problem is, that people are not looking at the bigger picture. We are not just looking at a FPS here that has the same old same old.

The words used to describe R2 is big and bigger. We are not talking about small rooms or maps, we are not talking about normal sized characters and we are also not talking about only showing 10-15 characters on screen at any one time.

We ARE talking about massive playable areas with characters ranging from the normal to 300 foot in size and could see anything up to 100 on screen characters at once. Mixing all this with very nice visuals and effects makes it kind of special.

You show me a game that has similar or better visuals and can produce huge gaming maps along with massive animated characters as well as scores of on-screen enemies at 720p @ 30fps and then we can have a proper discussion.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mr_nothin said:
Yes, you can clearly see that one scene is intentionally using higher contrast lighting and one scene is intentionally using lower contrast lighting because, you know, they're simulating different environments at different times of day. Now, which of these lighting scenarios do you think is more negatively impacted by video compression?

Dibbz said:
That's not a lack of polish you're detecting, that's a lack of agreement with their artistic direction, as evidenced by your next paragraph:

This is where you've finally been forthright and honest about your problem with what you seen and it all boils down to personal preference, not "polish".

With all due respect to your personal preference, I'm willing to bet there will be enough scenes of harsh lighting in the final game that stroke your pleasure center just the right way. If you're any kind of game enthusiast you should be able to appreciate that what Insomniac is doing here of course is trying to show the breadth of their game without giving away all the details before the game is released. Orick and Iceland are good juxtaposition of what you'll see in the game. Variety is the spice of life and I doubt you can claim that you've liked the visual reproduction of every scene in every game you've ever enjoyed anyway.

As I alluded to above with mr_nothin the Orick videos are going to suffer more because lower contrast lighting will cause details in the environment to get more easily lost in video compression and it's clear that neither of you really know how to compensate for that. You've screencapped frames from the Orick video that make it look like that area has LESS texture detail than the original Resistance. Does that really make any sense to you?

davygee said:
Yes, they do. What I think the problem is, that people are not looking at the bigger picture. We are not just looking at a FPS here that has the same old same old.

The words used to describe R2 is big and bigger. We are not talking about small rooms or maps, we are not talking about normal sized characters and we are also not talking about only showing 10-15 characters on screen at any one time.

We ARE talking about massive playable areas with characters ranging from the normal to 300 foot in size and could see anything up to 100 on screen characters at once. Mixing all this with very nice visuals and effects makes it kind of special.

You show me a game that has similar or better visuals and can produce huge gaming maps along with massive animated characters as well as scores of on-screen enemies at 720p @ 30fps and then we can have a proper discussion.

Jr. has the right idea. This was my point loosely disguised in sarcasm. I'm sure the dedicated indoor maps in R2 look awesome. However, you can't heavily criticize what the stairs/inside of a tiny shack looks like when its just one small part of a larger outdoor map. You're missing the forrest for the trees...er shack. I expect R2 to have the greatest sense of scale ever achieved in a shooter.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Prezhulio said:
Belt-lock (Bellock?) Grenade Launcher. jstevenson says it on the psblog. as for secondary...maybe sticky?
I think it's Bellock. I saw the name in one of the videos but the person didn't pick it up. I was pissed because I wanted to know what it was.

morlock

Here's a question for the IG-guys, and a request if negative answer. :p

Will there be an animation when aiming (R1) with the LAARK and the Marksman? (Loves the new 'crosshair' for the marksman though) As it is now it just "pops" into aim-mode, ther should be an nice animation just like the one in Crysis or KZ2.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I was at a French game show today and got to film some pretty nice looking R2 footage. It's the same level as the one from all these videos of course, but I'm very happy with the quality considering it's off-screen.
First part should be up in one hour.

mr_nothin

Banned
gtj1092 said:
So do you enjoy any games? Or do you just find all the flaws in them. Do tell what games do you play with perfect graphics?

Wtf?
Did I say anything about not enjoying a game?

The people who complained about Uncharted's texture loading and (sometimes tearing problems) still enjoyed the game

Same with Gears of War's texture loading problem.

It's a flaw thats in your face....of course you would complain about it (because you want it fixed).

Anyways, the lighting in that town part seems to be using some sort of LOD system.
Going from pre-baked to dynamic shadows when you get closer.
It looks that way from the videos.

The car textures still look weak. The stair still look weak.
And a window not casting a shadow can be pre-baked.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Blimblim said:
I was at a French game show today and got to film some pretty nice looking R2 footage. It's the same level as the one from all these videos of course, but I'm very happy with the quality considering it's off-screen.
Awesome.

Enojado

Blimblim said:

Sweet, more videos of R2! Of course that may add fuel to the fire over the whole shadow "discussion" going on here. :lol :lol

Top Bottom