• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Guled

jstevenson said:
it's being worked on, lots of stuff to wrangle, and we wouldn't want to promise a date and not be able to hit it due to whatever various reasons. hopefully soon, but many moving parts.
can you at least give us a week :D

1-D_FTW

Nafai1123 said:
How do I get into the beta if I don't want to pre-order from gamestop and don't have an annual subscription to Qore?

Subscribe to the underground? I got an e-mail yesterday asking me if I wanted apply to be a beta-tester for R2. Who knows if I'll actually get in, but at least I'm on the list.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well I p reordered the Fancy edition of the game once I get home I will register the beta key and such.

hm...seemed pretty cheesy and the lip synching was off. Okay, I guess. I'd rather see more SP stuff instead of the cinematics.

The character with the glasses just looks poorly designed as well.

Hale seemed like a badass though, which I liked.

patsu

Yeah, they should show some deaths or tragedy first before letting us see the emotion explosion. Right now, I don't know why that guy is so mad. There is no context to this trailer. It could very well be a different game altogether.

Still... keep'em coming !

Sean

Banned
The Orick cinematic was really impressive, but this one looked awful. The voice acting was shitty and over the top and the lip syncing/facial animations were way off the mark too (which is distracting and hard to ignore when they're doing close-ups of everyones face).

Insomniac would've been better off releasing new gameplay footage instead.

Ploid 3.0

I guess this is why Hale have a short while to live. Interesting, and that angry dude looks like a good candidate for changing into a super strong chimera that's sent out to destroy hale as a rivalry (like the hulk movie).

TEH-CJ

Banned
I actually liked the cinematic and i thought the voice acting was good in my opinion. and this is coming from someone that criticizes everything, especially voice acting.

FightyF

Banned
patsu said:
Yeah, they should show some deaths or tragedy first before letting us see the emotion explosion. Right now, I don't know why that guy is so mad. There is no context to this trailer. It could very well be a different game altogether.

Still... keep'em coming !

Yeah I said the same about the first vid...no context...so it makes it hard to care. Also makes it hard to form an opinion. Right now, I don't like it much...but when I see everything in context I may like it a lot.

Only thing I can assume right now is that Hale did something terribly risky and almost blew some shit up. So, the part preceding the cutscene must have been epic.

Norml

The expressions in the face looks great.

2zp5rvq.png

2r3c8dc.png

2uoov42.png

I thought the cutscene was pretty good...especially the lighting on the characters....excellent

I thought hale was a calm guy though, must be the chimera in him

Ploid 3.0

I thought the cutscene looked beautiful, but I see what people mean when they say the lip sync looked weird. The camera work is very nice. Good motion tech they have going on (cue the qore episode2 chimera dance footage).

gbovo

nelsonroyale said:
I thought the cutscene was pretty good...especially the lighting on the characters....excellent
yeah the lighting in the cutscene is really impressive. I wonder why Insomniac doesn't get the in-game lighting to the same level. I would think PS3 could handle that quality of lighting in real time.

Wollan

The facial features/lip sync is weird but the cutscene got bite/speed to it which I liked.

More interestingly, desert canyons anyone? Maybe they're visiting the Lambda facility.

Wollan said:
The facial features/lip sync is weird but the cutscene got bite/speed to it which I liked.

More interestingly, desert canyons anyone? Maybe they're visiting the Lambda facility.

Yeah...Grand Canyon level would be epic.

Dante

The animations nice, but you can tell they are using lip sync software and the animators are not keying that in. That said I still looks Fukkin AMAZING!

McLovin

TTP said:
Is it me or does that guy look very similar to Nathan? Like a brother or something.
I actually thought it was someone else the first time I saw any footage from R2. Still the lighting looks amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on R2.

-Winnie-

Nathan seems like a completely different character this time around. In R1, he hardly spoke a word, but he speaks heaps now which feels really strange to me...

JB1981

-Winnie- said:
Nathan seems like a completely different character this time around. In R1, he hardly spoke a word, but he speaks heaps now which feels really strange to me...
Yea it's jarring. In the first game he was mute. Now he's all tough, strangling dudes, leading men and barking out orders.

konrad77

JB1981 said:
Yea it's jarring. In the first game he was mute. Now he's all tough, strangling dudes, leading men and barking out orders.
Maybe we heard all he got to say in that trailer. Didnt he say something to the girl (Narrator) before she escapes from the convertion center, in R:FOM?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That cutscene was kind of cute. I thought it looked good enough-- lip sync was a little off-- but it was like....why do I care what Nathan has to say again? I just am confused because he had effectively no personality in R1 and now he has one. Maybe this is from later into the game and he'll be more developed. At least I like his voice.

Nate should have just come back with, "oh yeah well you eat butt!!" would have been case closed.

I don't think the models look poly starved at all. Nothing in Resistance ever looks poly starved. The game throws around a ton of geometry.

Y2Kev said:
That cutscene was kind of cute. I thought it looked good enough-- lip sync was a little off-- but it was like....why do I care what Nathan has to say again? I just am confused because he had effectively no personality in R1 and now he has one. Maybe this is from later into the game and he'll be more developed. At least I like his voice.

Nate should have just come back with, "oh yeah well you eat butt!!" would have been case closed.

I don't think the models look poly starved at all. Nothing in Resistance ever looks poly starved. The game throws around a ton of geometry.

kind of like of like from Jak to Jak 2...

Im sure it will work out in the game, seems like they want the narrative to be even more central in this one...which pleases me

konrad77 said:
Maybe we heard all he got to say in that trailer. Didnt he say something to the girl (Narrator) before she escapes from the convertion center, in R:FOM?

the most memorable dialog Nathan said in R1 is in the secret video when the narrator told him how to deal with the reactor in final level and Nathan went all "what, are you kidding me?"

EktorPR

I loved the cutscene. The character expressions look right and overall the thing looks polished to the nth degree. I can't wait. :D

patsu

My expectation is high indeed.

I like the first trailer better. In any case, I don't care much about cutscenes. Send us gameplay videos ! 8^P

bj00rn_

Banned
Cutscenes are obviously not the games' strongest side, especially characters are dry and low poly (Just like another big shooter around...) But with that said, I can't wait another month for the game, it seems tons better than the first game in the series, and I need my space-shooter fix, badly.

Stench

Banned
Gosh, machoistic military banter is just so FRESH these days, ya know?

Ah well, who cares. The storyline's purpose is to merely link setting to setting, so as long as there's enough diversity in the gameplay and environments, I'll have no issue tuning out Nathan Hale and his merry band of walking platitudes.

As long as this hides loading or is skippable it's fine. Telling the story in game is nice, but I prefer a skippable FMV if they need to talk for a long time. Being stuck in a room for a few minutes Half Life 2 style, is very annoying and hurts the re-playability. But it's still a far cry from the stuff you see in Uncharted, Heavenly Sword or MGS.

Here's news for us Qore subscribers about the beta.

RESISTANCE 2 PUBLIC BETA: Remember—before Resistance 2 invades retail outlets in November, we’ve got the public beta starting this month (exact dates will be announced shortly). The beta gives participants a sneak peek at our competitive multiplayer and online co-op modes. Premiere access will be granted to Qore annual subscribers and those who pre-order Resistance 2 at GameStop, while people who purchase Episode 3 of Qore can participate during the open access period. You can also roll the dice and apply to be part of the beta at http://beta.myresistance.net/apply.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/04/the-psb-socomcom-insomniac-recap/

Did Gamestop get a limited supply of beta codes or... I mean, when I preordered and paid the game off I didn't get a code, should I go request one? My Gamestop blows at remembering preorder offers, it wouldn't be the first time.

Top Bottom