• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

FFObsessed said:
No, I'm not in the latest beta so I obviously can't see that.

So, just so we're clear, you can play splitscreen online during a 60 player match? :D

I said a while a go that if Insomniac managed to get that feature in, R2 is COMPLETE!
it looks like it. split screen for competitive play sounds like 60 players MP to me.

Ploid 3.0

In addition – we recently announced the contents of our collector’s edition. Many of you wrote in asking for the bonus disc to be a Blu-Ray instead of a DVD. We can also announce that the Bonus Disc will now indeed be a Blu-Ray disc, bringing almost all of the special features to you in High-Definition.

Jstevenson hinted at this. Glad to see it's blu ray. HD DVD disk hah, what will people think of next.

Jtrizzy

ninjavanish said:
Time for me to take 2 hours of bus rides home from ucla. I pray to the insomniac god (quark) that when I get home my beta code will be sitting in my gmail inbox.

Yeah I still haven't gotten mine from Gamestop yet. I did get the information about policy changes email from PSU.

the more i play resistance 2, the more i want killzone 2.

the r2 beta is all sorts of meh!

in guerrilla games - sony backed the right developer for their flagship shooter.

Wax Free Vanilla said:

in guerrilla games - sony backed the right developer for their flagship shooter.

Is there an official thread you don't come in to complain about the game?

Facism

FFObsessed said:
Blog post is up.

Split-screen is confirmed for 8 player ONLINE co-op not just offline.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/17/resistance-2-the-latest-trailer/

I thought at first splitscreen was for the 60 player online play as well but I think it means offline splitscreen :(

bruv, it says it quite clearly that the splitscreen is for the 8 player co-op and competitive online (ie 60 player online).

Which just cemented this as a buy. Wouldn't have touched it till long after Gears 2 otherwise.

DrPirate

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:

I have both and I have been having a MUCH better time with R2.

Different strokes, folks and all that.

WinFonda

"Since Resistance: Fall of Man, one of the biggest feature requests for the game was that we implemented split-screen online play. We are happy to announce that Resistance 2 will feature 2-player split-screen play for both competitive play as well as our 8-player online co-op campaign!"

Wow, that's great news.

KZObsessed

JStevenson just clarified and confirmed it:

James Stevenson said:
Yes, you and your friend can sit on the couch and play against 58 other people.

Splitscreen online in both 8 player co-op and 60 player competitive. Insomniac delivers as always.

Snipes424

Did you guys catch the "flash" of Nathan Hale at the very end of the trailer?

To me he looks like he is transforming into... something else

Alias03

Not sure if this has been asked and answered so dont slam me if it has. I want my Brother to get in on the beta as well so is this sharable? I want him to be able to play the beta with me, but I dont wanna get into trouble with both IG and Sony for sharing it. Thanks

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Snipes424 said:

Hm...

Shadow780

Shadow780 said:
I don't know why, but it looks like this (with the edges blacked out):

2114ahk.jpg

I've checked the display setting and it's set to "Full", if I zoom portion of the graphics will be lost.

quote from my post while ago, can anyone help?

I use HDMI direct to TV (52XBR3).

KZObsessed

DMPrince said:
Now I can say yes without hesitation when my brother ask about playing online together :lol

Yep! My brother loves this stuff! It's pretty much the only time we do anything together.

Insomniac games... bringing families together.

Snipes424

scoobs said:
game looks great i dont know what the fuss is about the graphics.

Even if the chimera would pop out of your TV screen and shake your hand, people would still complain.

That is just what people do.

KZObsessed

DMPrince said:
Same here but I also wanted splitscreen for the regular campaign too.

I just read this on the blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...latest-trailer/comment-page-1/#comment-121323

The main campaign is 1 player only ;o

Yeah but Insomniac has pretty much said that from the beginning. The campaign is being built around 1 player only. I am disappointed in that, because playing through the first game with my brother was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had so far. It just worked so well, even tho it was so obviously tacked on. But, if it makes the single player even better because they don't have to worry about balancing it for two players then I'm all for it.

FFObsessed said:
Yeah but Insomniac has pretty much said that from the beginning. The campaign is being built around 1 player only. I am disappointed in that, because playing through the first game with my brother was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had so far. It just worked so well, even tho it was so obviously tacked on. But, if it makes the single player even better because they don't have to worry about balancing it for two players then I'm all for it.

i guess. I'll just let him enjoy the online coop and pretend main campaign doesn't exist. lol But this may work since he rarely has the time to play games these days anyway!

Does anyone else feel that at sometimes the maps aren't really designed for so many players? Both in cooperative and competitive I frequently find spots where it basically ends up being everybody shooting each other in the back while trying to kill the enemy. I'm especially amazed at how many times I've had teammates run in front of me while I'm already firing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BTW guys. The letterboxing on split-screen is normal. It allows us to keep the aspect ratio instead of squeezing things around. That way you will see everything you'd normally see, just in a smaller screen.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
The trailer was fantastic, i have had this preordered for months.

I wish we could get the special edition in Australia :(

ascii42

jstevenson said:
BTW guys. The letterboxing on split-screen is normal. It allows us to keep the aspect ratio instead of squeezing things around. That way you will see everything you'd normally see, just in a smaller screen.
Makes sense, Halo 3 was the same way.

KZObsessed

DMPrince said:
i guess. I'll just let him enjoy the online coop and pretend main campaign doesn't exist. lol But this may work since he rarely has the time to play games these days anyway!

Well, you could take it in turns to play through the single player levels. So you do the first level, then he does the second and so on. Then you could play through it a second time and swap over.

Also from the blog:

Your friend does not generate XP — we hope that at a certain point, we’ll be able to allow your friend to log into their own PSN account and earn their own XP, but right now that functionality isn’t available.

That would be damn cool, hope they can add that. But can't you do that already in LBP or am I mistaken?

Shadow780

jstevenson said:

I see. Alright thanks.

Ploid 3.0

Snipes424 said:

At the end of the game Hale transforms into a super bad chimera, and in co-op you get to kill/die to his awesomeness as the final raid boss.

Joe P. said:
How do you know this? D:
JK about the first spoiler

Why was I running to players who couldn't die? Someone was attacking our Beacon alone, and was getting shot up by me and six of my teammates for quite a while and nothing happened. He was moving around, but not even fighting back. He was glowing red if that means anything...

Oh, and Co-op is amazing.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Thank you insomniac, Resistance is what got me into FPS in the first place, after playing this, im definately getting R2, GREAT JOB

mittelos

Played some deatchmatch at lunch. The map was the San Fran dock map (can't remember the exact name). Gorgeous by the way. Great fun, though I really suck. The only complaint I have was that the spawn points seemed kinda wonky. A lot of spawning behind someone who had just spawned at the same point or vice versa, and a couple of times I spawned in the middle of a fierce fire-fight. I know that's just unavoidable sometimes, but it seemed to be happening a lot, and several other guys in the match were commenting on the same thing. I guess one solution would be to get better, not suck as much, and therefore not re-spawn as much!! :lol

You guys playing deathmatch, team deathmatch- what are you using for loadout? I started with the carbine, switched to the bullseye, and then ended up using the battle rifle pretty extensively. Just curious what you other guys are using.

Top Bottom