• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man MP Official Thread

FredFish

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I actually enjoyed playing pretty much only team deathmatch last night :/

It's not that Team Deathmatch is a problem, I like doing the Wedge, it's just that there's something a little extra rewarding about pulling out a victory in Assault or Breach against a good team. Also in an Objective match K/D isn't the criteria for how much you've helped the Clan but how well you've listened to your channel (attack or defense). That helps the newer guys feel productive while they find their groove.

"It's not that Team Deathmatch is a problem, I like doing the Wedge, it's just that there's something a little extra rewarding about pulling out a victory in Assault or Breach against a good team. Also in an Objective match K/D isn't the criteria for how much you've helped the Clan but how well you've listened to your channel (attack or defense). That helps the newer guys feel productive while they find their groove."

I don't know all the times I've played with you guys doing objective we've, for the most part, gotten beaten pretty bad and had a couple where it was artificically extended so they could rack up kills. :/ Even though I suck it feels like I have more of a chance in team deathmatch...

Aeon712

Since the focus has been on augers nd not the Arc Charger we've been very ineffective in objective games. Last night during our only objective game at the start I called for someone to come to papa with me(no one spokeup) I then asked again and(no one spoke up). When I took the node I was attacked by 3 Chimera(took out 2 and died). If Sparrtan(think it was you) didn't show up and finish that guy we would've lost Papa(which has 2 Arc Chargers and 2 Laarks) and been at a 3-2 node disadvantage.

"Since the focus has been on augers nd not the Arc Charger we've been very ineffective in objective games. Last night during our only objective game at the start I called for someone to come to papa with me(no one spokeup) I then asked again and(no one spoke up). When I took the node I was attacked by 3 Chimera(took out 2 and died). If Sparrtan(think it was you) didn't show up and finish that guy we would've lost Papa(which has 2 Arc Chargers and 2 Laarks) and been at a 3-2 node disadvantage."

:( I rushed to papa with you both games. The first one i didn't get there till you died because I'd never played objective on that map before and was trying to figure out how to get there. But I even stayed there after we took it to help protect it.

FredFish

Well let's take the bull by the horns and work on communication (it's been too long since Kitton's worked his lungs with a bout of drunken, profanity-laced screaming IMHO :lol ) rather than just throwing up our hands and sticking with Deathmatch each time. Variety is the spice of life they say and Objective matchs are something we shouldn't avoid just because we've been doing poorly in them recently.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
FredFish said:
Well let's take the bull by the horns and work on communication (it's been too long since Kitton's worked his lungs with a bout of drunken, profanity-laced screaming IMHO :lol ) rather than just throwing up our hands and sticking with Deathmatch each time. Variety is the spice of life they say and Objective matchs are something we shouldn't avoid just because we've been doing poorly in them recently.

Truthfully it's twofold. The first part you have right, objective games haven't been too fun lately since the communications are all screwy. When myself or others try to organize a plan - all focusing on a single node, organizing defenses, setting up spawn squads - it all seems to get ignored. When our defenses fail the communication also hasn't been there. All of this leads to frustration and the friendly suggestions on plans turns to yelling and cursing...and that's never fun.

Objective games are easy when a solid plan is in place and EVERYONE is on the same page. It all kind of fell apart when meltdown games became non-existant and then came back in the rotation. It seems like everyone forgot how to win effectively. To be successfull in Meltdown we need to chose a set of nodes and then simply protect them (obviously). When we are down a node we NEED to create a squad on a different channel so we can respawn in that mode and take it over....especially Nottingham and taking the center node when we are humans.

The other reason we haven't played objectives is that the latest patch did seem to mess up searches for objective games a bit....quite often it just doesn't find games. Hopefully they are working on that or fixed it already but last night we had our first issues with finding good ole deathmatch games. Anyways, I think we just need to go back to the basics especially in meltdown. We haven't had much of an issue with winning Breach and Assault games so no need to discuss strategy there yet.

M3Freak

Banned
Beatbox said:
Truthfully it's twofold. The first part you have right, objective games haven't been too fun lately since the communications are all screwy. When myself or others try to organize a plan - all focusing on a single node, organizing defenses, setting up spawn squads - it all seems to get ignored. When our defenses fail the communication also hasn't been there. All of this leads to frustration and the friendly suggestions on plans turns to yelling and cursing...and that's never fun.

Objective games are easy when a solid plan is in place and EVERYONE is on the same page. It all kind of fell apart when meltdown games became non-existant and then came back in the rotation. It seems like everyone forgot how to win effectively. To be successfull in Meltdown we need to chose a set of nodes and then simply protect them (obviously). When we are down a node we NEED to create a squad on a different channel so we can respawn in that mode and take it over....especially Nottingham and taking the center node when we are humans.

The other reason we haven't played objectives is that the latest patch did seem to mess up searches for objective games a bit....quite often it just doesn't find games. Hopefully they are working on that or fixed it already but last night we had our first issues with finding good ole deathmatch games. Anyways, I think we just need to go back to the basics especially in meltdown. We haven't had much of an issue with winning Breach and Assault games so no need to discuss strategy there yet.

All true. I have to say though that I always used to call out "switch to so and so squad for blah", and people would listen. But, at some point people stopped giving a gave shit, and I stopped using the squads too. Different squads for different nodes was one of the reasons why we could destroy other teams - squad spawning always allowed us to protect nodes or take them back. Hell, the three squad strategy we cooked up for attacking bases helped us to shred teams - I was spawning BESIDE the reactor at times. That's awesome offense.

That being said, I'll start calling out the squads again. Hopefully people listen and we make use of them. I think someone just needs to take control - we usually had one or two guys calling out orders, but nowadays no one is doing that (consistantly at least).

patsu

Just to let people know that I'll be at home for the rest of the week. So no Resistance for me (in fact, no PS3 gaming in general). T_T

Aeon712

patsu said:
Just to let people know that I'll be at home for the rest of the week. So no Resistance for me (in fact, no PS3 gaming in general). T_T
Darn it Patsu, go grab one of those 40gigs from kmart in this thread for 320$.

kuYuri

Hey guys, I finally started playing Resistance for real now after months of putting it off and a bunch of other crap that got in the way. The matchmaking is not so great right now, I keep getting paired with players way above me in FFA.

I would like to join the GAF clan, but I suck at Resistance right now and I wanted to ask for people to send me friend requests. I need help in getting better. :(

If you want some background, I've played Halo 2, Halo 3, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Gears of War, and Call of Duty 4 mostly. I consider myself pretty decent at these games and I know some good teammates IRL, so I know I can get better. If anyone would like to help me with that, my PSN name is Strider2K99.

Yes, I do have a (USB) headset, so don't worry I'll talk. ;)

FredFish

Strider2K99 said:
...The matchmaking is not so great right now, I keep getting paired with players way above me in FFA.

Something to remember is that the military rank isn't an absolute measure of skill. Someone who is terrible can become a Supreme Commander just by playing tons and tons and tons of games. Case in point: I'm a decent player (though inconsistent), sometimes near the top of Clan results sometimes near the bottom and yet I'm very close to getting my fourth General star ;) Just keep playing; Rage when Chimeran (L2 to activate) use the radar when Human and always try for Headshots

Aeon712

Strider2K99 said:
So, does anyone want to help me get better at this?
I'll throw you an ingame friend request so you can play with the clan. We're always up for helping each other out.

We are playing now, you are free to join

Aeon712

Clan Nights Here
Aeon Will Be There
GAF Clan Cheers

You guys should feel honored to be teamed with the 490th placed Carbiner :D.

Firewire

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Clan Nights Here
Aeon Will Be There
GAF Clan Cheers

You killed me like 10 times in that one deathmatch last night. I'm looking for revenge tonight Aeon! :lol

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Clan Nights Here
Aeon Will Be There
GAF Clan Cheers

I'll hopefully be there around 10:30 p.m.

kuYuri

Aeon712 said:
I'll throw you an ingame friend request so you can play with the clan. We're always up for helping each other out.

We are playing now, you are free to join

Thanks for the offer, but as you can see, I couldn't make it. :lol

I don't have alot of freedom to play games as much, maybe in a few months when my room is ready. So, I can't really join the clan if you expect a consistent attendance.

Angelcurio

My ps3 froze yesterday after the custom deathmatch game, when we started the ranked team deathmatch game. I had to do a cold reboot, and when i restarted it and entered online i started getting those "Login Failed" messages, after giving up i went to bed.

I messaged kaching, but he didn't reply back. Can you guys emergently add me to the clan for tuesday night games? I msg kaching last thursday

PSN ID: El_Rellik

tanod

when is my burrito
Mr. Rellik said:
I messaged kaching, but he didn't reply back. Can you guys emergently add me to the clan for tuesday night games? I msg kaching last thursday

PSN ID: El_Rellik

I believe the clan list is full. Also, kaching isn't terribly prompt about getting people invited right away if there is space. My suggestion would be to send Resistance buddy invites to queeg500, efertlisdotcom, aeon712, sutdawg, and bobthefork. If you do that, you should be able to get them to invite you on any night of the week.

<---- EDIT: P.S. nomnomnom :)

Beatbox

A few lucky clanmates were able to witness another amazing performance by yours truly.

For those who missed out....

82jsy04.jpg

7yf3yp0.jpg

I got 33 kills in the first round and didn't even realize that I managed to get 27 of those without dying :D

ChryZ

Beatbox
(Today, 10:17 AM)
Reply | Quote

I got my 23 in a FFA, that's the proper way of doing it ... sniping in TDM is for cowards ;P

Sorry, I'm just bitter! Congratz, dude :)

Beatbox

ChryZ said:
Beatbox
(Today, 10:17 AM)
Reply | Quote

I got my 23 in a FFA, that's the proper way of doing it ... sniping in TDM is for cowards ;P

Sorry, I'm just bitter! Congratz, dude :)

:lol Thanks buddy, I still owe you a few beers and a cheesesteak. Pat's or Geno's?

markshields.com-genos-vs-pats-cheesesteaks-philadelphia-pa-3231.jpg

Only about half of my 50 were snipes....no Laarks or grenades or bullseye tags or 40's. I probably would've choked if I had known I was on a 21+ kill spree (my previous high).

Yeah yeah, you're 23 in FFA is pretty impressive :D

Beatbox said:
A few lucky clanmates were able to witness another amazing performance by yours truly.

82jsy04.jpg

7yf3yp0.jpg

I got 33 kills in the first round and didn't even realize that I managed to get 27 of those without dying :D

Somehow I knew that photo would be here.

I'm just glad I made the Top 10 and was positive! (even if just barely) :lol

LOL @ your tag. Just noticed it. Nobody deserves that tag more than you, you Rainman freak...

Strider2K99 said:
Thanks for the offer, but as you can see, I couldn't make it. :lol

I don't have alot of freedom to play games as much, maybe in a few months when my room is ready. So, I can't really join the clan if you expect a consistent attendance.

No worries. This is a clan with an emphasis on having FUN. Hop on sometime and get your feet wet.

ChryZ

Beatbox said:
:lol Thanks buddy, I still owe you a few beers and a cheesesteak. Pat's or Geno's?

markshields.com-genos-vs-pats-cheesesteaks-philadelphia-pa-3231.jpg

Only about half of my 50 were snipes....no Laarks or grenades or bullseye tags or 40's. I probably would've choked if I had known I was on a 21+ kill spree (my previous high).

Yeah yeah, you're 23 in FFA is pretty impressive :D
Pat's wit, cheers ... let me fetch my portal gun :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Beatbox said:

82jsy04.jpg

7yf3yp0.jpg

U not human. U cheemura.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
Beatbox said:

82jsy04.jpg

7yf3yp0.jpg

Third place FTW!!! Bup bup!!

Anyway, good job - you be steam rolling the enemies, yo.

Aeon712

Last night was prob the best Capture the Flag game I've ever played in Resistance. It's actually kinda fun on a non laark whore map and the other team not camping their flag.

And WOW I forgot how awesome I am at Resistance, back to back TDM games at 38-8 and 39-8. Not Efert level but I'm incredible :lol

The Jer

So I've finally played a bit since the last update.

And I really like the update.

FINALLY, the shotgun has been nerfed to a near appropriate level. I was happy for this, more than anything.

Also, we now have the option to turn off 40mm and tags. This is a much needed option and I'd been wishing it was there. When we play offline, we just make a "no 40mm" rule. But, this isn't ideal. Particularly since most of the time people spend playing is online and, in that case, if the 40 is there, you're going to use it.

There really isn't a weapon balancing decision I disagree with. Several I don't care about either way. Such as the tags having more time between shots. They never bothered me before (I know they bothered lots of others), but I really don't care if there is more time between tag shots.

Overall, an awesome update. We finally got the shotgun appropriately nerfed and there is no balancing changes I regret or disagree with.

Steroyd

I really want to join the clan this weekend I havn't been able to stay awake at night lately. :(

All those previous clan nights are taking it's toll on me.

ChryZ

Steroyd said:
I really want to join the clan this weekend I havn't been able to stay awake at night lately. :(

All those previous clan nights are taking it's toll on me.
Yeah, I'm only able to pull it off on caturdays ... I'd love to play more with the gang :(

patsu

ChryZ said:

:lol

Been playing EoJ these few days, trying to learn the rules. Only in Resistance for quick sessions @ about 2:00am. I'll try to join the clan tonight. I might get 5 - 50 kills though.

M3Freak

Banned
Game seems to be dying for the clan. Not many turning out anymore - even the clan night posts aren't being made anymore. I think the down turn occurred when GAF mods insisted we start using the Online forum - thanks a lot, buddies.

Still, it's been a year, and the regulars are still there just about every night. There's still a ton of fun to be had. Plus, two new maps are coming out before the end of the month!

I want to play the new maps (as do others), but we usually don't get them. Also, we've never had games on the 40 player versions. So, here's my proposal:

1. 40 player custom objective game
2. Call it GAF vs WORLD, or something
3. GAF clan on one side, random dudes on the other. Might need random dudes on GAF side too.
4. Pick one of the new maps
5. Much fun is had by all

Insomniac has killed any chances of us getting massive ranked games on the new maps. So, we have to make do with the custom games. Anyone up for this tonight, or some other day? We need at least 15 GAF clan people to turn out.

ChryZ

It's caturday, I'll be there. I wouldn't mind doing custom games on the new maps, should be fun .. I'd die to see the 40p versions in action.

I'll start playing with you guys again. I kinda fizzled out when the clan posts were no longer made since I was too lazy to see if you guys used to meet on that night. Well, that and everyone wanted to play the new maps and I don't have the money to buy them, but if you guys don't mind playing old maps sometimes I'll start playing with you guys again.

Angelcurio

I went on yesterday expecting to see gaffers online, and even sent a pm to beatbox when he was playing uncharted, but no one showed up. So ended up playing cod4 online.

M3freak, count me in.

Top Bottom