• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

JB1981

why is the advertising for this game so much more creative and so much more mature for european audiences? the trailer at the end of that flash movie is soooo good.

Ceb

JB1981 said:
why is the advertising for this game so much more creative and so much more mature for european audiences? the trailer at the end of that flash movie is soooo good.

That's what happens when they delay it for 5 months. :D

But it certainly would've been nice if the US marketing had been of this caliber. Although it does portray the game as being slightly more ambitious than it really is.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
JB1981 said:
are you going through each day? the story they're telling here is so frickin' well done. holy shit. this adds whole new layers to the game.

I shore am! The writing is spot on and what impresses me most is the live action stuff - great acting, dialogue and editing - I've rarely see that kind of quality in the world of video games...

JB1981 said:

I'm afraid it's because we're <so much more mature >

*Runs for cover....*

teiresias

JB1981 said:
are you going through each day? the story they're telling here is so frickin' well done. holy shit. this adds whole new layers to the game.

The backstory and all of the mysteries to the game are already really awesome. Leaving plenty for future games, but I just love the whole mood of the whole universe they're building here.

The video on Day 6 at the UK website is awesome as hell with the Widowmakers and Chimera integrated cleverly into what looks like real WW2 footage.

JB1981

Ceb said:
That's what happens when they delay it for 5 months. :D

But it certainly would've been nice if the US marketing had been of this caliber. Although it does portray the game as being slightly more ambitious than it really is.

No it doesn't. It just provides a context for the main story in the game. I do wish the game had a more personal hook, as shown in these videos.

Big-E

Bad_Boy said:
That 10 day thing is pretty cool. The trailer at the end with the army guy talking with the classical music playing was a nice touch too.

Ya that was the best part. The Field Marshall's voice was perfect for the situation and it sounded really eerie with the music and the muffling of the radio.

Big-E said:
Ya that was the best part. The Field Marshall's voice was perfect for the situation and it sounded really eerie with the music and the muffling of the radio.

Geez, that smoked the US ads. And now I wish we got that kind of orchestral track in the actual game. It was perfect.

The Jer

Bad_Boy said:
That 10 day thing is pretty cool. The trailer at the end with the army guy talking with the classical music playing was a nice touch too.

huh. I watched all 10 days more than once and didn't see the trailer.

Alias03

Cory_t_ said:
I have 2 questions:

1. How do I quit a clan?

2. How can I join the GAF clan?

1) From the muiltplayer main menu select Community>Clan>Square for options>Leave Clan

2) Sent a PM to Kaching including your PSN name....wait for a responce

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The Jer said:
huh. I watched all 10 days more than once and didn't see the trailer.
Hmm, not sure. It played as soon as Day 10 was over. You have to wait a second for it to load.

anyways, I probably won't be playing tonight. 300 is out :D

The Jer

Bad_Boy said:
Hmm, not sure. It played as soon as Day 10 was over. You have to wait a second for it to load.

anyways, I probably won't be playing tonight. 300 is out :D

Ggrrrrrr..... and I watched it twice (the days thing), too.

Well. Whatever, I'll watch it again in the next couple days. It was pretty durn good, so I don't think its that much of a loss/dissapointment.

sutdawg

Bad_Boy said:

I agree, the trailer at the end was dope!!! I wish they put that ad out in the US now!:)

TheFallen

Been playing this quite a bit, seems like most online matches resort to grenade fights. Needs more death animations, everyone just flips into the air. :lol Anyway, Playstation Network ID is Xploited13

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That 10 day thing is awesome. In fact, the game itself could have used more of that kind of atmosphere buildup and characterization.

TheFallen

The Jer said:
death animations?
ragdoll physics FTW

Well yea, but it seems like the ragdoll physics were poorly implemented. Not sure if this game uses Havok, but it looks like every kill results in a back flip into the air. :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
TheFallen said:
Well yea, but it seems like the ragdoll physics were poorly implemented. Not sure if this game uses Havok, but it looks like every kill results in a back flip into the air. :lol

pretty sure it doesn't use Havok since there is no havok sign on there.

davepoobond said:
pretty sure it doesn't use Havok since there is no havok sign on there.

Yep, Insomniac built their physics engine from the ground up. I think the Resistance rag dolls are probably more impressive than your average Havok stuff to be honest. They react pretty realistically to location specific damage (shotgun to knees for example), blend nicely with character animations, consistently react to environment collisions properly etc.. It's pretty neat when you drop a grenade into a crowd and see a Chimera perfectly keeled over a pile of sandbags or something. The stuff almost looks scripted at times.

TheFallen said:

There is nothing I love in Resistance online more than the wonderful feeling of tossing a grenade and getting a Target Bomber kill message and sound and watching that "I just got blowed up" cartwheel everytime.

Wow. Not 30 minutes of playing and I get hit with the OMG SCREEN FREEZE OF DEATH glitch. Somebody fix this shit, PLEASE. And I was in the one non-retarded custom match that probably no longer exists.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Yep, Insomniac built their physics engine from the ground up. I think the Resistance rag dolls are probably more impressive than your average Havok stuff to be honest. They react pretty realistically to location specific damage (shotgun to knees for example), blend nicely with character animations, consistently react to environment collisions properly etc.. It's pretty neat when you drop a grenade into a crowd and see a Chimera perfectly keeled over a pile of sandbags or something. The stuff almost looks scripted at times.

What's more, Insomniac's physics engine doesn't have you running along with some random object embedded in your arse like a... 'certain other game' that uses Havok. Which is nice.

(Could have been bad implementation in that 'other game' though, I don't know if it was necessarily Havok's fault...)

Remy said:
New clan article: Breach Basics.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/2007/03/breach_basics.html

Looking for feedback, especially from Click. :)

Great writeup. Very in-depth and well thought out. "Click/Remy method" LMAO... :lol

Some things I'd like to add:

Like Remy has said, rushing works if done right, against the right team (a non-organized/talented clan). Sometimes, it'll even work against a good team, if the rush is properly coordinated and the formation is right. I like to rush because it destroys the other team's moral if successful, ends the round fast, and is hilarious (at least to the majority of GAFers).

However, rushing also requires a defense team... just to hold back any rushers on their team, long enough for the rush to work. A good defense team of 2 or 3 is good enough for the rush (Click) method.

The most important thing with rushing is, the entire rush (offense) team must stay together (wedge). This is key. And this is also what GAF has to practice a bit more. Everyone has to follow the lead rusher and not split up, trying to capture nodes on the way. When people slow down and try to capture nodes, that's when the rush gets screwed up. Because it takes a while to capture a node properly and most of the time, the other team tries to do the same thing... leading to a firefight. When the team spreads out, the rush is basically ineffective.

The objective of the rush is to DODGE the opposing team as much as possible, so that there is enough members to take out their defense team (if any) and their base reactor in an amount of time that they can't respawn or run back to their base to defend it. It is best to take the route where an encounter is least likely to happen. Obviously, if you see someone in front of your face, kill them. But if you see them running by without noticing you, just let them go and don't chase after them.

If done right, the round can be won within 3 minutes. If done wrong, well... everyone has to regroup quickly and go to the "Remy method."

I understand that not everyone wants to play a quick round of Breach and like drawing it out, slowly capturing nodes so that they can get more kills, nodes captures/recaptures, and defensive kills. However, when you drag out the match TOO long and forget about rushing, the other team WILL try to rush our base. And the end objective of Breach is to take out the opposing team's reactor. I don't complain as much as I used to because for the most part, GAF members know how to play Breach now and understand that there needs to be a balance between rushing and capturing all the nodes. When GAF first started playing Breach, everyone treated it like it was Meltdown, thus, leading to many losses for GAF in Breach mode (back in the day).

Although 3-4 defensive members is a pretty good amount, that is not enough against a good clan/team. So depending on the experience/talent of the other team, 3-4 D-squad may need to be more like 6-7 or even more. Also, defense members need to constantly monitor the battlefield, watching what nodes are captured and how many we/they have under control. It is important for the defensive team to try and hold onto the closest node to the base, but also have enough people covering the base reactor, not getting sidetracked in defending the closest base node. Get onto the offense chat line and ask for help if need be. If you see that the other team isn't rushing the home base and/or we have possession of most of the nodes, tell your squad that you'll be transferring to the offensive squad. Just make sure to transfer back when defense needs help and always leave at least 1-2 people inside/around the base reactor, in case of a sneak rush or a stray rusher.

Some hints:

When someone notices that squad respawning is inside the opposing team's base, tell everyone to squad respawn asap and head straight for their reactor until base respawning stops spawning us in/around their reactor.

Like Remy mentioned, Arc Charger is the best weapon to use on reactor/nodes. However, it heats up fast and you need to hit seperate rods once with good aim for it to work well. Personally, the shotgun (Rossmore) is my favorite rod-killing weapon, along with frag grenades. The shotgun fires very fast and if used correctly, can take out rods very fast. It can also be a great defensive weapon for when their defense tries to take you out.

Hedgehog grenades work well too for taking out rods. When using grenades (Frag and Hedgehog), try to throw it in the middle of the reactor. The problem is, if you throw it onto a rod, it will bounce back. And it's very easy to overthrow a grenade. A well-thrown/placed grenade can extinguish a bunch of rods at once.

While I kinda agree with Remy when he said to use the LAARK on enemy troops, a well-placed rocket can take out A LOT of rods. The Auger is very nice because you can surround yourself with the shield and fire away at the reactor from a safe distance, but just keep in mind that grenades can pass through the Auger shield.

Reactors are much taller, wider, and bigger than nodes. If you notice that it's getting hard to hit the rods, jump and fire. This takes a bit of practice, but it's quite effective.

When Human, constantly look at your radar and map to see where the enemies are. Go to the node where you see least resistance. When on defense, this is a good way to know how close the enemy is and if they're planning a rush on the base. When you see a huge gathering heading straight for the base, call it out so that everyone has some time to prepare for their rush.

JB1981

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Wow. Not 30 minutes of playing and I get hit with the OMG SCREEN FREEZE OF DEATH glitch. Somebody fix this shit, PLEASE. And I was in the one non-retarded custom match that probably no longer exists.

If the host quits a match in progress the game will freeze. In all my hours of play, this has happened to me once.

JB1981 said:
If the host quits a match in progress the game will freeze. In all my hours of play, this has happened to me once.

Is that what it is? Nice to finally know at least. It happened to me all the time when I played heavily and it's already happening again. Annoying because you are forced to shut off your PS3, then I inevitably forget to re-sync my bluetooth, then I have to back up and do that THEN launch the game again. Grr...

Agent X

Remy said:
New clan article: Breach Basics.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/2007/03/breach_basics.html

Looking for feedback, especially from Click. :)

Great article as usual, with some solid strategies. I'm glad you added Click's comments, as they're also worth reading.

I'm getting more proficient with the Rossmore (shotgun), and lately have started using that as one of my main tools for attacking nodes. It's more frequently encountered on the battlefield compared to the Arc Charger, and dishes out decent node damage. I like to have the Arc Charger on hand for the obvious reasons (already described), but for times when it isn't available, the Rossmore makes a decent substitute.

One idea I'd like to suggest is that when you have a sizeable group of people on your team rushing an enemy node or base, that at least one or two people lay back a bit and concentrate on taking out enemies that may be defending the node/base (instead of attacking the node/base itself). Enemy defenders will probably be focused on the people circling the node, and someone who's a few yards back can take some pot shots at the enemy defenders. The enemy will then be faced with a dilemma--either keep attacking at the guy doing node damage and ignore you (meaning almost certain death for him in a matter of seconds), or (in the interest of self-preservation) turn his aim toward you, giving your teammate an open opportunity to deal out easy node damage without negative repercussions. What do you think?

Remy

Click: As Agent X pointed out, I added your comments into the post. Hope you don't mind.

Agent X said:
One idea I'd like to suggest is that when you have a sizeable group of people on your team rushing an enemy node or base, that at least one or two people lay back a bit and concentrate on taking out enemies that may be defending the node/base (instead of attacking the node/base itself). Enemy defenders will probably be focused on the people circling the node, and someone who's a few yards back can take some pot shots at the enemy defenders. The enemy will then be faced with a dilemma--either keep attacking at the guy doing node damage and ignore you (meaning almost certain death for him in a matter of seconds), or (in the interest of self-preservation) turn his aim toward you, giving your teammate an open opportunity to deal out easy node damage without negative repercussions. What do you think?

This is actually something I've been mulling over a lot lately, and I agree, it's needed. With everyone so focused on the base, it's easier to thin out the wedge.

I'll make a post out of this, too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ok, am I a moron for finding the third function of the LAARK rocket months after buying the game? :lol

I had no idea you could fire cluster homing missiles from the LAARK. That is freaking awesome.

JB1981

chubigans said:
Ok, am I a moron for finding the third function of the LAARK rocket months after buying the game? :lol

I had no idea you could fire cluster homing missiles from the LAARK. That is freaking awesome.

You can fire cluster homing what?

I thought the Laark's only secondary function was the air brake. How do you do this cluster thing?!!!!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
JB1981 said:
You can fire cluster homing what?

I thought the Laark's only secondary function was the air brake. How do you do this cluster thing?!!!!

how do you even use the air pressure thing?

i want to know how you do the cluster thing, too

also what i dont know what weapon it is is the rocket that is floating around and then it blows somethin up i guess you target it after you fire it

Been awhile since I messed with it, but IIRC, if you fire R1 that fires the main rocket. After firing with R1, holding L1 will use the brakes on that rocket type. Likewise, firing the inital rocket with L1 instead of R1 will shoot a secondary rocket with many smaller rockets flying off. Fire with L1 then hold R1 as a brake for this secondary rocket type. Hope I have that right.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
JohnnyMadness said:
Been awhile since I messed with it, but IIRC, if you fire R1 that fires the main rocket. After firing with R1, holding L1 will use the brakes on that rocket type. Likewise, firing the inital rocket with L1 instead of R1 will shoot a secondary rocket with many smaller rockets flying off. Fire with L1 then hold R1 as a brake for this secondary rocket type. Hope I have that right.

Yes, you fire the rocket, pause it with L1, and then hold down R1 for a ton of cluster homing missiles.

Apparently theres a FOURTH function where you hold down R2, and when the rocket impacts it fires off a swarm of mini-missiles. Haven't tried that yet though.

Craziness.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
Yup. Absolutely.
Insomniac should pay close attention to this website, and perhaps consult or hire writers and voice directors or actors who did it. Visual artists also. I'm saying this dead serious, I think the game would have been a lot more talk of the town than it is/was, if it communicated this kind of skin crawling atmosphere, sense of dread and urgency, and care for it's characters. Those kinds of things is what makes games like God of War or Halo as beloved as they are, it's not enough to just have great gameplay and action, player must feel that what he's doing is somehow really important. R&C had this same weakness, except in that genre that kind of thing doesn't matter as much.

I see that Insomniac wanted to accomplish this, the X-ray soldiers and their morse codes, secret plans, cloven, and other slowly unveiling mysteries are all there, but I say again, take a close look at how that website is done and what it accomplishes and how, all through very short video scenes. I feel dirty for saying this, because Resistance is such a great and fun game, but the website is overselling the emotional experience you'll get from the game.

JB1981 said:
why is the advertising for this game so much more creative and so much more mature for european audiences?
Actually, if you think about it, the US website was pretty good too, with it's timeline and whatnot. Not this good, but still...

M3Freak

Banned
Agent X said:
I'm getting more proficient with the Rossmore (shotgun), and lately have started using that as one of my main tools for attacking nodes. It's more frequently encountered on the battlefield compared to the Arc Charger, and dishes out decent node damage. I like to have the Arc Charger on hand for the obvious reasons (already described), but for times when it isn't available, the Rossmore makes a decent substitute.

Yeah, I've been using the Rossmore for Breach, and even Meltdown games, when attacking nodes/reactors. Usually, three well placed shots will take a node/reactore out completely. It goes even faster if you have someone helping you with a Bullseye or something else because:

1. he can cover you
2. he can take out a bar or two, which is enough for you to only have to take two, maybe three shots with the Rossmore.

A few other strategies that I find work well:

1. If you're running behind the enemy, don't shoot (unless you have a Laark). Just rush up behind them and whack them with your gun (melee). Not only do your melee kills go up, but usually you can take the other guy out with one hit.
2. Throw grenades into reactors at an angle (not dead on), and try to aim for the bottom half. This way if your grenade shot is too strong, it will bounce off the other side, and stay in the reactor, instead of passing right through.
3. Frag grenades dropped right beside a node (but not inside) will do a lot of damage too. If you don't think you'll live long enough for a more precise throw, try to land it beside the node instead.

Here's something I've been thinking about, but I haven't tried or seen anyone do. The Laark's secondary fire isn't used much in Breach or Meltdown. So, one strategy I've been thinking about and would like to see attempted is to fire the Laark into the enemy's base/node/reactor, hold R2 to park it, and then hold R1 to fire all of the homing missles. This will likely kill/scare away any enemy soldiers trying to take out your team. Then, when the homing missles stop, aim the Laark at the target, and let 'er rip. It's kind of a "two for one" deal. This would likely work very well on the map where both teams have tunnels leading out of their base.

NOTE: The above strategy is based on my custom config where Primary fire is R1, and secondary fire is R2.

JB1981

Marconelly said:
Insomniac should pay close attention to this website, and perhaps consult or hire writers and voice directors or actors who did it. Visual artists also. I'm saying this dead serious, I think the game would have been a lot more talk of the town than it is/was, if it communicated this kind of skin crawling atmosphere, sense of dread and urgency, and care for it's characters. Those kinds of things is what makes games like God of War or Halo as beloved as they are, it's not enough to just have great gameplay and action, player must feel that what he's doing is somehow really important. R&C had this same weakness, except in that genre that kind of thing doesn't matter as much.

I see that Insomniac wanted to accomplish this, the X-ray soldiers and their morse codes, secret plans, cloven, and other slowly unveiling mysteries are all there, but I say again, take a close look at how that website is done and what it accomplishes and how, all through very short video scenes. I feel dirty for saying this, because Resistance is such a great and fun game, but the website is overselling the emotional experience you'll get from the game.

Actually, if you think about it, the US website was pretty good too, with it's timeline and whatnot. Not this good, but still...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

careksims

Marconelly said:

I agree! All this lore should have been in the game. Maybe more interactive cut scenes or scripted events between battles. I wanted the soldiers around me to last a bit longer >_> I always feel alone.

g23

European pre-madonna
Can't wait till resistance II :)

I wish more FPS games had as much depth and backstory like this game. Like the previous poster said, this is what makes Triple AAA titles like Halo, MGS, Half-Life etc so great..a memorable and captivating storyline that makes you feel like a hero.

Top Bottom