• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

I hope Insomniac's new crackdown on cheating/intentional lagging/glitching will work out. It will be hard to catch some of the cheaters, because a lot of them glitch only once in a while and they cannot be monitored everytime they play...

Oh well, good luck to IG for trying out this new tactic. If it works, great. If not, then that's too bad. I've only seen cheating/intentional lagging/glitching about once every 100-150 games. So it's not a widespread problem like it is in certain other online shooting games.

JS/IG's official announcement: http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=16010.msg238618#msg238618

Ragnarok10

Looks like March 23rd is the date for the new content:

Insomniac Games' Resistance: Fall of Man will receive new game modes on March 23.

Keeping gamers playing your game is something that's becoming increasingly more important for software developers and publishers. We've already seen Gears of War updated with new maps and now it's the turn of the PS3's Resistance: Fall of Man to expand its offering.

On March 23 - the same day as the PS3 launches across Europe - two new game modes, Team Conversion and Assault, will be released. Team Conversion takes the existing Conversion game mode and puts players into teams. Assault is a team-based game in which each team must protect their base and attack the opposition's.

Also coming on March 23 are a number of changes including a controllable spectator camera, tweaked matchmaking and the radar becoming a custom game option.

While gamers are enjoying the new game modes, Insomniac will be hard at work creating the next batch of new content, this time including two new maps. Scheduled for release in May, the update will include maps set in the snowy hills of Westmorland, England and Camborn, England, where action will take place above and below ground.

The May update will also enable players from the world over play together and make it possible for players to purchase new maps from within the game.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/06-03-2007-4929.html

M3Freak

Banned
I'll be playing tonight, but I probably won't be there until at least 10:00 p.m EST.

I hope the turn out is good! I'm also hoping I don't get shafted and can't get into a party. :(

Kittonwy

Banned
Bumped for the new page.
Indifferent2.gif

Tonight is...

TUESDAY NIGHT!!! ROFFLES. Come out and join us for some DIRTY WEDGE ACTION!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Resistance will make you go:

69827.jpg

That's right. You can bet your ass on it.
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

I won't be on tonight because I have a SOCOM: US Navy Seals Combined Assault tournament match but I sent invites to all the leaders on my buddy list.

Also, check your messages through the PlayStation Network guys (CatalystZero). I sent those to you as well so you guys know I'm from NeoGAF. :)

DenogginizerOS said:
I'll be on tonight. I have been hooked into the single player.

Same, it's pretty hard huh? It seemed like the game was designed to have areas that you simply get raped in.

Some areas are different though, I can be fighting 15+ enemies at once and not get scratched and then face a similar scenario and get run-the-****-over.

Reave

I've never seen so many pictures of kittens and cats until I came to ****ing NeoGAF, haha.

I picked up Resistance today, and I'll have my PS3 by next week. I hope to get in on the fun soon.

I finally got this game... I'm going to do a bit of studying first but I'll log on and get registered. I don't have a headset though; how important is one?

Core407 said:
Is it easier to play on an SD or HD set?

HD for sure. I'm temporarily back on an SD until I move. My game has suffered.

The wide-format screen is a huge advantage in an FPS. This cannot be overemphasized.

Plus, the extra definition makes people easier to see off in the distance. A big deal when scanning for sniping opportunities.

brandonh83 said:
I finally got this game... I'm going to do a bit of studying first but I'll log on and get registered. I don't have a headset though; how important is one?

By my calculations, you will have 162% more fun in Clan games with a headset.

This is a controversial claim though, I'll admit. Most members of the scientific community say NeoGAF Resistance Clan games are 186% more fun with a headset.

These scientists however weren't online the day Safe Bet trolled the SIXAXIS for over an hour, or the time when TRONX's "stoned-to-the-bone" buddy got on the headset. Those two events dropped the fun percentage significantly, but thankfully haven't happened since.

Oh, ish....GAME TIME!

Core407

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

The wide-format screen is a huge advantage in an FPS. This cannot be overemphasized.

Plus, the extra definition makes people easier to see off in the distance. A big deal when scanning for sniping opportunities.

Good to hear. I'm slowly learning how to play and key tactics, but I'm not planning on going hardcore until I get my monitor shipped.

Other questions I have:

Is there a max distance I can shoot from? I'm guessing if the cross-hairs aren't red when they're over the enemy, I'm too far away.

Also, does this game require leading? (shooting where the target is moving and not where the target is at that point)

The Jer

Pristine_Condition said:

Also, "dark corners and rooms" exist in SD. Not so in HD.

one of the advantages of being a chimera changes:
- HD: you can see people through walls
- SD: you can see people you wouldn't have been able to see as human

I've played through the campaign over composite, as well as many, many hours (over 300 rounds) of online play. So, it is do-able and very enjoyable. But the difference is NIGHT AND DAY.

Also my kill to death ratio over composite was ~0.75. My kill to death ratio with HDMI has been >1.5 so far.

tanod

when is my burrito
Smokey Bones said:
I sent a PM to join the clan a few days ago...and haven't received a response.

I wanna play :(

I'll make sure you get added to the group. What's your PSN?

The Jer

Core407 said:
Is there a max distance I can shoot from? I'm guessing if the cross-hairs aren't red when they're over the enemy, I'm too far away.

Also, does this game require leading? (shooting where the target is moving and not where the target is at that point)

1) I've never encountered a time when enemies have been too far away to shoot or a max. distance.

2) I've never had to lead my shots(!!!). Lag really hasn't been that big of a deal for me. The game has been incredibly non-frustrating in that respect.

Core407 said:

Doesn't have to be red, that just indicates you're in optimal range. Using the Carbine and the Bullseye beyond red is a bit of a crap shoot because of the bullet spread, but you can still get decent accuracy. Carbine has less spread though so it's the better of the two at medium to long range (unless you're able to get a tag with the Bullseye of course :)).

Core407

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Doesn't have to be red, that just indicates you're in optimal range. Using the Carbine and the Bullseye beyond red is a bit of a crap shoot because of the bullet spread, but you can still get decent accuracy. Carbine has less spread though so it's the better of the two at medium to long range (unless you're able to get a tag with the Bullseye of course :)).

Good to know. It's really cool to see some of the ways people use the alternative firing modes on some of the weapons. Throwing up a shield can turn a battle in your favor and vice versa.

Right now I'm just trying to learn all the maps, weapons and what-not. I've noticed my kill/death ratio is slowly changing to a constant 2:1 ratio.

SleazyC

The Jer said:
Also, "dark corners and rooms" exist in SD. Not so in HD.

one of the advantages of being a chimera changes:
- HD: you can see people through walls
- SD: you can see people you wouldn't have been able to see as human

I've played through the campaign over composite, as well as many, many hours (over 300 rounds) of online play. So, it is do-able and very enjoyable. But the difference is NIGHT AND DAY.

Also my kill to death ratio over composite was ~0.75. My kill to death ratio with HDMI has been >1.5 so far.
I was playing over composite until just about a month and a half ago and my kill to death was about 1.7-1.8. I don't think SD vs HD really does much online as on my LCD now I play just about the same.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
same here. the gf was giving me "the eye"

that one meltdown game (aka slaughter) in nottingham was hilarious though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
God this thread is massive.

So what is the verdict on the single player portion of this game? Highly replayable? Hardest difficulty plusses and minuses? Unlockables and such?

B-Ri

Brandon F said:

So what is the verdict on the single player portion of this game? Highly replayable? Hardest difficulty plusses and minuses? Unlockables and such?

single player: awesome
replayable: definately
Difficulty: obvious, and challenging as you go up
Unlockables: weapons and grenades, fun.

verdict = worth $60

bigswords

B-Ri said:
single player: awesome
replayable: definately
Difficulty: obvious, and challenging as you go up
Unlockables: weapons and grenades, fun.

verdict = worth $60

I wouldn't call the Single Player:Awesome, more like a "good" imo.
The unlockables (skill points/rewards) make it fun.
But the online: Yes it's uber, uber, uber awesome.

If you are just going to play (or you don't have a choice) Single Player Resistance you are going to lose a big part of the game and I would recommend you to get a more centric single player game (As the one of the big factors to replay the single player is to get get the special black ops online skin :D ).

Aeon712

Games tonight were awesome, I still wanna cry from when the network decided to give me some weird blue icon and then disconnect me when I was 14-3 :(.

Yeah it is, this game is meant to be played on Hard and Superhuman. Btw, has anyone seen any reviews for this headset? It's sold out online but it looks like its in stock in my area. Looks pretty decent for the price:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1164156729136
So far no returns on it :/.

Brandon F said:

Single-player: Terrific. Underrated because it starts out kinda slow and only ramps to OMG awesome until later stages.

Replay?: Yes.

Hard Difficulty Biggest Plus: Enemy squad A.I. is wicked clever sometimes. Harder mode is a real challenge. New weapons are cool.

Hard Difficulty Minus: Not really a minus, just a stylistic choice from the developer. If you are a run-and gun player, you'll be a little screwed. The way the health system and checkpoints are arranged in harder modes require thoughtful play.

Unlockables: Lots. The new weapons you get are well worth the replay.

Big-E

Good games tonight guys. I don't think we've ever had over 20 for a Tuesday night. Too bad there were a couple of breakdowns in the game and two cheaters but all in all it was a good night.

The Jer

g35twinturbo said:
YAY I can finally see which one I am :D I'm the only b lack guy in this picture :lol :lol

ummm..... The african american guy in the leather commando uniform with the shotgun, front and center, is me.

The Jer

Big-E said:
Good games tonight guys. I don't think we've ever had over 20 for a Tuesday night. Too bad there were a couple of breakdowns in the game and two cheaters but all in all it was a good night.

I was at 9 kills in a row when I got killed by that guy in the wall. Very frustrating. I've gotten to 9 kills about a dozen times now, but never to 10....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Clan,

I just got a request from someone whose PSN ID is MercuryLS, asking to join the clan and says they're a former GAFer. I'm not inclined to send them an invite unless they have an active GAF account, unless somebody knows who this is and wants to vouch for them. Let me know.

JB1981

kaching said:
Clan,

I just got a request from someone whose PSN ID is MercuryLS, asking to join the clan and says they're a former GAFer. I'm not inclined to send them an invite unless they have an active GAF account, unless somebody knows who this is and wants to vouch for them. Let me know.

I play Gears of War with MercuryLS on Xbox Live. He used to be Pedigree_Chum on GAF. He's a cool dude.

Smokey

I'm in :D

I look forward to joining the madness come Saturday since I missed todays game. Wish I could use my GAF name instead of the one I've signed up with on PSN(dbswisha) but oh well.

Just a quick question, do most of the people in the clan use mics, and happy 1,000th post to me:) :D !

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JB1981 said:
I play Gears of War with MercuryLS on Xbox Live. He used to be Pedigree_Chum on GAF. He's a cool dude.
Oh, I had no idea it was P_C. Does he just not post here anymore? I'll send him an invite in any case, since he certainly qualifies as a GAF vet.

Top Bottom