• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
Aeon and I played a TD match last night. It started out as 4 on 4, Human vs Chimera on the 8 player Nottingham map. Figured it would be fun.

Game starts, and we're Chimera. Two guys from our side drop out. Great, now it's Aeon and I vs 4 players. Death, you say? WROOONG!

During the first round we absolutely destroyed them. 2 on 4 is hardly fair, but the other guys were getting killed left, right, down, and up.

Then it was our turn to be human: darkness befell the lands. Mothers cried. Babies went hungry.

The shitty Carbine-Grenade vs Chimera-Bullseye-Rage-Mode was no contest. The enemy laid waste quickly, efficiently, and often.

In the end, Aeon and I were 3rd and 1st (respectively) in the rankings. Not too shabby, I'd say.

I'm proud of you both.
Indifferent2.gif

The Jer

ROFL said:
Princess Leia... I don't get it...

I don't believe there's that much to get. At one point it was "commonplace" for boys to find Carrie Fisher attractive. Jaffe said he liked Indiana Jones when he was growing up and Star Wars came about around the same time period (and from the same director), so it would have been common for him to find her attractive when he was younger.

Aeon712

Philly is under a snow storm + I have a toothache :(, any chance of us getting enough Gaffers online to take on Insomniac? Or should we even bother since everyone that listened to the podcast will be aiming for them.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'll be playing as InsomJRS for the next hour or so as part of the game with Insomniac thing... can't for some reason log into my regular account :-(.

Password and stuff is saved on my home PS3.

patsu

Heh heh... ran into Click again; this time playing against him in Team DM. But I have been careful in avoiding the man in-game. So I only got killed by him once (Phew !). I'm trying to improve my ratio you know. :D

JB1981

patsu said:
Heh heh... ran into Click again; this time playing against him in Team DM. But I have been careful in avoiding the man in-game. So I only got killed by him once (Phew !). I'm trying to improve my ratio you know. :D

did he leave the gaf clan? i think he said he was going to (or considering it at least).

patsu

Nope... at least not yet. I still see [GAF]Click. Why leave :( ?

BTW, the people playing in the evening and throughout the nights (PST) are better than the guys playing during day-time. I can get rather high K/D ratio during the days.

Kittonwy

Banned
This is your enemy, the enemy clan member, a despicable and vile creature that will sleep with your mom AND your gf (picture shown is not actual member of an enemy clan, just a visual representation in the form of a panda, a vile and despicable creature in its own right):

pandawanda.jpg

It's time to lock and load!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Tonight is...

SATURDAY NIGHT!!! Don't let even a single one of those suckers live!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Tieno

mr_nothin said:
I'm not sure why that would be needed because you guys will be able to play on US servers too, come the european launch.
I think Wollan said that we'll get the World Wide server patch in may...?

Wollan

Worldwide play will be enabled in May when the new map pack releases, not launch.

Anyways, I personally have a US copy of the game so I won't be joining a PAL clan.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Wollan said:
Worldwide play will be enabled in May when the new map pack releases, not launch.

Anyways, I personally have a US copy of the game so I won't be joining a PAL clan.

That doesn't matter, all versions of the game are on the disc, and it detects the hardware you're using and gives you that version.

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:
That doesn't matter, all versions of the game are on the disc, and it detects the hardware you're using and gives you that version.

Ownage!

In other news: two more weeks for the new game modes! Yeah!

sutdawg

Kittonwy said:
This is your enemy, the enemy clan member, a despicable and vile creature that will sleep with your mom AND your gf (picture shown is not actual member of an enemy clan, just a visual representation in the form of a panda, a vile and despicable creature in its own right):

pandawanda.jpg

RAWR! Panda you will die at the hands of the Wedge tonight!

lunlunqq

i'm in the lobby now, waiting to be invited. i'm so tired now that i could fall asleep anytime... if i don't respond to your invitation, that means i must be asleep. shout loadly at your mic and wake me up plz.

Emowii

Banned
I'll be embarking on the single player for this game any day now. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect in terms of length, and difficulty level? Is the normal setting really hard, or about average? Thanks.

JB1981

Emowii said:
I'll be embarking on the single player for this game any day now. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect in terms of length, and difficulty level? Is the normal setting really hard, or about average? Thanks.

The normal setting presents a pretty good challenge. It's the kind of game you get better at the more you play. I definitely recommend starting out on Normal. Hard can be a bitch, even for experienced players.

Aeon712

Great games tonight, I actually won 3 free for all games when I broke away from the clan tonight. 2 of them were back to back which was surprising since I've never won 1 before. Playing with the clan really does make you better. If it wasn't for the game against that cheap pokemon clan I would have a 1.0 Kill/death instead I'm sitting at .99

Angelcurio

I want to join the fun. Just got my ps3 yesterday and my PSN ID is angelcurio.

I just loaded Resistance on my ps3 and cant seem to get online with it, any kind of help would be greatly apreciated.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Angelcurio said:
I just loaded Resistance on my ps3 and cant seem to get online with it, any kind of help would be greatly apreciated.
Can you describe exactly when you can't get online? Did you sign in ok? or Just not online in resistance.

Tieno

JB1981 said:
The normal setting presents a pretty good challenge. It's the kind of game you get better at the more you play. I definitely recommend starting out on Normal. Hard can be a bitch, even for experienced players.
I did Gears, Halo 2, COD2 on 'hard' first time, is the 'hard mode' comparable in difficulty to Resistance's hard mode?

Angelcurio

Bad_Boy said:
Can you describe exactly when you can't get online? Did you sign in ok? or Just not online in resistance.
Just on resistance. I load the game, go into multiplayer, then on the screen where it is suppossed to show the servers, only the resistance star logo is seen on the back like loading the screen, but it never loads, then shows up a message that says that there was an error and that the servers list cant be loaded.

I cant try it again right now, since i downloaded the motorstorm demo and i will need to hit my brother with a bassevall bat to make him stop playing it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tieno said:
I did Gears, Halo 2, COD2 on 'hard' first time, is the 'hard mode' comparable in difficulty to Resistance's hard mode?

The difference in Resistance is the smarter you play, the NOTICIBLY better you perform in the single player mode and there's always a smart way to approach each of the scenarios, when I finished superhuman and looked back at the way I approached a particular level before in normal or hard, I would never tackle it that way again. and you are rarely out of ammo, I'm not saying it's easy at all, it's not, hard and especially superhuman are quite difficult but never cheap. What I find is not having enemies with a regenerating shield is a total blessing because that can suck the ammo right out of you.
Indifferent2.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It really bugs me that enemies in Resistance are mostly bullet sponges with, so far, the shotgun being the only weapon culling any sort of reaction out of them when I shoot. There is just a very lacking feel of power behind the weaponry and return fire will continue endlessly no matter how many shots are dumped into their brain. Taking on the giant chimera reminds me of the lame Rocket trigens from Far Cry.

Gears of War suffers similarly, but the cover system helps to alleviate the 'spam and strafe' simplicity of Resistance bouts.

Started on Hard mode, but after an hour or so I dropped down to normal. It's still a solid challenge, but I'm at a loss for feeling out any sort of strategy in this game. :/

If not for the excellent multiplayer, I'd feel guilty giving the game(based on the campaign) anything higher than a 7/10. Far from Insomniac's finest hour, but I'm only halfway through and losing interest with each passing level.

Angelcurio

After trying once again to get online on resistance, this is the exact error i get:

"Error en la conexion de red. Desconectandose de la red."

In english, it is "Error in the network connection. Login out from the net" or something like that.

I really want to play online, so any kind of help will be greatly apreciated.

Core407

Banned
Brandon F said:
It really bugs me that enemies in Resistance are mostly bullet sponges with, so far, the shotgun being the only weapon culling any sort of reaction out of them when I shoot. There is just a very lacking feel of power behind the weaponry and return fire will continue endlessly no matter how many shots are dumped into their brain. Taking on the giant chimera reminds me of the lame Rocket trigens from Far Cry.

Gears of War suffers similarly, but the cover system helps to alleviate the 'spam and strafe' simplicity of Resistance bouts.

Started on Hard mode, but after an hour or so I dropped down to normal. It's still a solid challenge, but I'm at a loss for feeling out any sort of strategy in this game. :/

Resistance SP can be exploited very easily, which is why people will find the MP experience much more enjoyable. The AI is pretty good, but it does have its share of issues. I'm sure all of this will be cleared up in the sequel though. I'm sure Insomniac was aware of these problems, but being a launch title, they had no choice but to release it without fine tuning it heavily.

Angelcurio: Run the network test in the XMB.

Edit: After googling your problem, it seems it might be a server-side problem. :\

"I did find some ports listed that PSN uses so one could try forwarding those on the router. PSN uses TCP: 80, 443, 5223 UDP: 3478, 3479 -Online Gaming uses UDP: 3658."

Angelcurio

Core407 said:
Resistance SP can be exploited very easily, which is why people will find the MP experience much more enjoyable. The AI is pretty good, but it does have its share of issues. I'm sure all of this will be cleared up in the sequel though. I'm sure Insomniac was aware of these problems, but being a launch title, they had no choice but to release it without fine tuning it heavily.

Angelcurio: Run the network test in the XMB.

Edit: After googling your problem, it seems it might be a server-side problem. :\

"I did find some ports listed that PSN uses so one could try forwarding those on the router. PSN uses TCP: 80, 443, 5223 UDP: 3478, 3479 -Online Gaming uses UDP: 3658."

I ran the test before posting and everything was ok. I can get online on the playstation store, download demos, the online ranking on GT:HD works, but when i try to get online with resistance is impossible.

How do i forward those ports on the router?

Core407

Banned
Angelcurio said:
I ran the test before posting and everything was ok. I can get online on the playstation store, download demos, the online ranking on GT:HD works, but when i try to get online with resistance is impossible.

How do i forward those ports on the router?

Access your router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) Find where you go to open ports, type in the IP address of the PS3 and the port and select either UDP or TCP. When you take the network test on the PS3, does your NAT come up as closed or open?

Gadeus

Are you using the wireless feature on the 60GB PS3? If so, try using the supplied ethernet cable. I had a similar problem with my PS3, I could do anything except get into Resistance matches. Even after going though the trouble of changing all the router settings, I couldn't get it to work, so I decided that the wireless is garbage and switched over to wired.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i completely forgot about the clan night yesterday..i beat god of war ii at like 2 in the morning :lol

i'll play today though

Core407

Banned
Is there any way I could join in on tonights match? I'm not really interested in joining the clan at this point, but I want to play against some Gaffers and see if they're the real deal.

Angelcurio

Gadeus said:
Are you using the wireless feature on the 60GB PS3? If so, try using the supplied ethernet cable. I had a similar problem with my PS3, I could do anything except get into Resistance matches. Even after going though the trouble of changing all the router settings, I couldn't get it to work, so I decided that the wireless is garbage and switched over to wired.
I am using the wired connection.

Core407 said:
Access your router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) Find where you go to open ports, type in the IP address of the PS3 and the port and select either UDP or TCP. When you take the network test on the PS3, does your NAT come up as closed or open?
The nat comes up as open.

Am a noob when it comes down to network settings, so i dont really know how can i acces my router. Must i do it via hyper terminal?

Ok, i saw that i can acces my router via firefox by writing the ip adress, so what must i do now?

Big-E

bishoptl said:
You guys playing tonight?

Its a clan night so some of us will be on.

To Core407, if you want to play with GAF just send one of the clan members a message that you want an invite. PSN ID: BigE

The Jer

Core407 said:
Is there any way I could join in on tonights match? I'm not really interested in joining the clan at this point, but I want to play against some Gaffers and see if they're the real deal.

"real deal," eh. I'm not really sure what that means....
we have "real fun," if that counts.
We ussually play more team based stuff, more than against each other. But, we typically have at least a few matches of a custom free-for-all.

I'm not yet sure how long I'll be on tonight. But if I'm on, send me a message and I'll ask that you get invited to the party.
PSN ID: TheJer

Top Bottom