• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Tieno

That seemed like a pretty positive roundtable. Most pleased with this comment: . Overall, I really like how the guns don't just match up to weaknesses in certain enemies, but also lend themselves to different tactical situations. Like, if you get cornered after holing up, whether you have an Auger or not is the difference between life and death.

It was one of my fears as I don't really care it when you have all these weird weapons and see a particular enemy and you're like 'oh now have to get this weapon', situational combat is way better.

The AI seems more like average, as long as battles are dynamic and play out differently I'll be content.

watership

Tieno said:
That seemed like a pretty positive roundtable. Most pleased with this comment: . Overall, I really like how the guns don't just match up to weaknesses in certain enemies, but also lend themselves to different tactical situations. Like, if you get cornered after holing up, whether you have an Auger or not is the difference between life and death.

It was one of my fears as I don't really care it when you have all these weird weapons and see a particular enemy and you're like 'oh now have to get this weapon', situational combat is way better.

The AI seems more like average, as long as battles are dynamic and play out differently I'll be content.

No fear. :) I don't think we have to worry about R:FOM being a bad game at all, It's probably going to be a great game. Just won't reinvent the wheel. What I'm looking for is some Polish, which The R&C games always had. And since R:FOM has been gold for a bit, I'm sure the polish is there. Judging by some of the early PS3 reviews, we could do with some nice, non rushed games.

Dahbomb

No section on the mulitplayer? That is like at least half of the game's draw. The Roundtable sounded solid, at least 9.0+ score I would say.

Dahbomb said:
No section on the mulitplayer? That is like at least half of the game's draw. The Roundtable sounded solid, at least 9.0+ score I would say.

It does make me wonder, are the reviewers going to have had a chance to experience the MP at its fullest before the review deadline comes up? Is the network even up and running at this point? And if it is, then where the hell are the multiplayer previews?

BuddyC

AltogetherAndrews said:
It does make me wonder, are the reviewers going to have had a chance to experience the MP at its fullest before the review deadline comes up? Is the network even up and running at this point?
Yes.
AltogherAndrews said:
And if it is, then where the hell are the multiplayer previews?
Considering the chaos of getting all the upcoming Wii / PS3 titles reviewed on time, in addition to the normal workload, you may not get them.

Dahbomb

AltogetherAndrews said:
It does make me wonder, are the reviewers going to have had a chance to experience the MP at its fullest before the review deadline comes up? Is the network even up and running at this point? And if it is, then where the hell are the multiplayer previews?
OPM did it and they loved it. The Network seems to be up and running for Resistance apparently.

BuddyC said:
Considering the chaos of getting all the upcoming Wii / PS3 titles reviewed on time, in addition to the normal workload, you may not get them.

Fair enough. How about a 10-20 word MP summary?

Dahbomb said:
OPM did it and they loved it. The Network seems to be up and running for Resistance apparently.

Hmm, is that issue in stores?

BuddyC

AltogetherAndrews said:
Fair enough. How about a 10-20 word MP summary?
Wonderfully balanced, both in terms of weapons and Chimeran / Human abilities. Maps are just great, often huge. Also, the alternate fires of the various weaponry adds some depth and strategy beyond the traditional run and gun mentality. Lastly, the weapon spawn points that indicate how long it is until the next weapon spawn are ace.

Tieno

BuddyC said:
Wonderfully balanced, both in terms of weapons and Chimeran / Human abilities. Maps are just great, often huge. Also, the alternate fires of the various weaponry adds some depth and strategy beyond the traditional run and gun mentality. Lastly, the weapon spawn points that indicate how long it is until the next weapon spawn are ace.
Can you say something about the 5.1 experience?

Yoboman

Is this Call of Duty or Gears quality? I really can't discern if it is pushing into that upper limit of quality

bigfurb

#7: Prediction time! A year from now, what do you predict people will see as the better game: Gears or Resistance?

Luke: Resistance.

But, but, luke hates sony....doesn't he? My world is in chaos, up is down, left is right, right is wrong.

And yeah, that cathedral level was indeed huge

Dahbomb

Yoboman said:
Is this Call of Duty or Gears quality? I really can't discern if it is pushing into that upper limit of quality
Seeing as how its nothing like Gears of War, I would say COD2 "quality".

Tieno

Surreal said:
yeah, don't have 7.1. only 5.1. which in my small gaming room is already almost overkill.

Question for Ted Price: What has your input been on Resistance? Are you also the lead designer?

Blunty

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned on here, is that one of the vids a while back showed that the game has skills points, like the R&C series. It always added a lot of lifespan to the R&C games for me, so I'm glad to this is back for Insomniac's next game. Old? Dunno, but I haven't seen anyone metion it yet.

66ea7dce6a.jpg

7f8fba98d4.jpg

66c4b5ed9c.jpg

aff4878c19.jpg

d341d271a5.jpg

906c00ff5d.jpg

371cc66ff0.jpg

2269ff2c2a.jpg

922b38a58d.jpg

22d6dbc7d4.jpg

87a5a395cf.jpg

9ce32a8d6b.jpg

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0611/10/news005.html

Qualifier: I'm not getting a PS3 any time soon, i can't justify the cost for sony to sell me a blu-ray player that i dont want... but i dont want to get into that.

That said, if any system capable of playing Resistance were to miraculously appear in my living room, i would immediately purchase this game. We are talking "road runner dust cloud," i would be running to the store so fast. looks fantastic.

nice work insomiac!

watership

Doom_Bringer said:
Can't wait for the reviews of this game. Maybe the haters will finally stfu then

Why would haters be silenced by incredible reviews? Halo and Halo 2 received fantastic reviews, and those games draw in the haters like bees to honey. Gears of War is already experiencing a backlash with people saying "its not the second coming!" or EA developers for ARMY OF TWO saying that Gears of War doesn't deserve the praise it's getting.

A nice simple 8.5 will be enough for me :)

Yoboman

watership said:
Why would haters be silenced by incredible reviews? Halo and Halo 2 received fantastic reviews, and those games draw in the haters like bees to honey. Gears of War is already experiencing a backlash with people saying "its not the second coming!" or EA developers for ARMY OF TWO saying that Gears of War doesn't deserve the praise it's getting.

A nice simple 8.5 will be enough for me :)
Because the haters would look ridiculous then. Look like they're looking for excuses, same goes for Gears.

gstaff said:
is this game supposed to outscore gear, be around the same?

I'm quite anxious.

You should be asking is resistance fun. The answer to his seems to be yes.

However, if you only care about scores, I think you might be disappointed compared to gears, I would estimate around 9.0 average

Kittonwy

Banned
How come the US media isn't giving this kind of in-depth coverage when you have the story writer and various other personel explaining the game to Japanese media instead?

Tieno

371cc66ff0.jpg

Yeah, this kind of stuff tickles my gaming bone. I really like that!

Scores are nice and all, but I just want a good and polished game and seems like Resistance is going to deliver on that front.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What I like about Resistance's graphics, is that despite not having the kind of visual detail density of something like Gears or HS or MGS4 or whatnot, they don't shy away from rendering massive areas with huge draw distance, and seemingly locked framerate. It's kinda the philosophy they had with R&C, only with next gen visual leap forward, obviously.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
not bad :D

edit:

for the lazy
Presentation
Insomniac has created a compelling mythos and the unique blend of World War II-level battles with alien technology is a great mix. Expect load times only at the beginning of stages.

Graphics
A mix of 20th century war machines and intergalactic alien hordes makes for quite the interesting art style. A solid 30fps framerate and plenty of bells and whistles easily impress.

Sound
When connected to a capable speaker, Resistance will blow your speakers to kingdom come with great audio effects and stellar voice acting. Don't expect to hear much musically, though.

Gameplay
Experience the best weapons to come along in a shooter for quite some time united with challenging enemies, tight control, smooth online play, and insane boss battles. Seriously fun.

Lasting Appeal
Between 12-15 hours of single-player action, multiple (and very challenging) difficulty levels, four hidden weapons, unlockable secrets and skill points, and a ton of multiplayer options. Hot!

Outstanding
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

edit2:

Scores so far:
OPM: 9 / 10
Famitsu: 9 / 8 / 8 / 8
Dengeki-PS: 90 / 90 / 100 / 100
IGN:

Top Bottom