• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Marconelly said:
What I like about Resistance's graphics, is that despite not having the kind of visual detail density of something like Gears or HS or MGS4 or whatnot, they don't shy away from rendering massive areas with huge draw distance, and seemingly locked framerate. It's kinda the philosophy they had with R&C, only with next gen visual leap forward, obviously.

Agreed. One thing I really dig is the dynamic debris and dust they have flying around during the large scale battles. You've got all these smokey explosions going off and tracers whizzing by and it really sells the whole warzone atmosphere they're going for.

Dahbomb

Angelcurio said:
In before a ridiculous 5/10 from 1up/egm
I am expecting something stupid like 8/10 by Garnett on the 1UP review. He spent most of the time on the podcast talking about how the Resistance multiplayer sucks..... because Sony's online isn't unified. Oh ... and this isn't a game that is worth $700. :lol

Dahbomb said:
I am expecting something stupid like 8/10 by Garnett on the 1UP review. He spent most of the time on the podcast talking about how the Resistance multiplayer sucks..... because Sony's online isn't unified. Oh ... and this isn't a game that is worth $700. :lol

god they need to keep Garnet away from any and all reviews.

Dahbomb

They didn't say as much because they didn't want to spoil the game. If he had said his full opinion on the podcast then there would be no point to the acutal review. They are holding back on the Resistance goods until at least after the review, as it was for GOW and COD3.

A lot of unfairness has been put onto Resistance. In any other situation, this game would be an excellent game that many shooter fans and fans on the PS would be hyped for simply because this is the definitive best PS console shooter yet (spanning from PS1 to PS3). Of course, because of the PS3 launching a year later, coming at $100 more price at the minimum, having a mediocre launch line up and with a second gen 360 game looking significantly better the hate for Resistance is just completely unwarranted. People are trying too hard to see justification in Resistance for $600-$700 and I got news for all of you: There is none because no game ever made is worth that much.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SolidSnakex said:
Well that would be surprising as it'd be too high of a score from them.
:lol

Don't get me wrong, there are many things I enjoy about 1up (i wont list them all but theres a bunch). It's just the recent reviews have really turned me away from caring about their future ones.

Tieno

Question for Ted Price:
Why did Insomniac chose to put the Chimera on the box cover, or the skull of a chimera head. When looking at other shooters often the main character is on the box? It seems (at least from my perspective) in promoting the game the focus is much more on the chimera than Nathan Hale.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I'm Reno online

I think because most JPN players stink at FPS I'm doing alright. I played a couple of team deathmatches and I ended up in the top 4 in all of my games, both 16 and 40 player. I played a 40 player map with 32 people and it was pretty wild. The Chimera are strong but I think the humans usually get the upper hand from what I've seen so far.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
neogaf_cage_free said:
Anyone playing online in Japan right now? Post your name here. I'm Massive_Damage.
you can use underscore on your playstation name?
please tell me its true. :)

BuddyC

Reno said:
I'm Reno online

I think because most JPN players stink at FPS I'm doing alright. I played a couple of team deathmatches and I ended up in the top 4 in all of my games, both 16 and 40 player. I played a 40 player map with 32 people and it was pretty wild. The Chimera are strong but I think the humans usually get the upper hand from what I've seen so far.
They're balanced really well, I think. Chimera get Rage, which boosts damage, lets them see through walls, and allows them to run, but if they're in it for too long they blow up. Meanwhile, humans can sprint without recourse and also have a nice radar, but they don't have an equivalent to the damage boost brought about by Rage Mode. Instead, their advantage is that they can see 'em coming.

They both play differently, but in my experiences, neither side has a clear advantage.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Is it ok to post the cover of a magazine here? Got a juicy picture from the cover of OPM.
not the inside of the magazine, just the cover. :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

DSC01022.jpg

LevelNth

Banned
Man, I've been trying not to get too overhyped about this game, considering it's a launch title and all, and I've been trying to pace my excitement from going overboard after seeing the high scoring reviews, but I'm starting to get pretty damn pumped for this. It's looking fantastic. It'd be pretty crazy if IGN is actually right, and PS3 has it's killer app on freakin' launch day.

Has anyone got an opinion on how Resistance has the traditional health system (got to get health packs to bring you back up to normal) compared to how other games are doing the "duck and cover and recover your health"?

Personally, it makes it seem more old-school for me right now. I just hope it doesn't make playing through the hard parts of the game too tedious because I'm used to ducking and my health recovering.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, have you heard anything about the Japanese version being censored? A friend told me he heard they removed "hero moments," but I have no idea what those are. As the Japanese version runs completely in English, it seems strange that anything would have been removed.

GAZERK said:
Has anyone got an opinion on how Resistance has the traditional health system (got to get health packs to bring you back up to normal) compared to how other games are doing the "duck and cover and recover your health"?

Personally, it makes it seem more old-school for me right now. I just hope it doesn't make playing through the hard parts of the game too tedious because I'm used to ducking and my health recovering.

It's kind of difficult to say anything about health without spoiling the storyline, but basically after a certain point in the first level, your health meter will be segmented. Your health will automatically recharge, much like the shields in Halo, but only for whichever segment you currently have filled. Picking up health vials will refill more or all your health segments.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

Resistance is between the two.

You have a health bar in 4 segments.
If you have an empty bar segment (has to be a completely empty bar) and you pick up a health container then that bar segment get replensished.

Only when a bar segment is completely empty is it counted as lost - any time whilst the bar is half full/depleted/nearly empty, if you duck for cover then that bar will start to replenish.

Raistlin

DCharlie said:
Resistance is between the two.

You have a health bar in 4 segments.
If you have an empty bar segment (has to be a completely empty bar) and you pick up a health container then that bar segment get replensished.

Only when a bar segment is completely empty is it counted as lost - any time whilst the bar is half full/depleted/nearly empty, if you duck for cover then that bar will start to replenish.

DC - are you going to continue with your MEGA thread?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
DC - are you going to continue with your MEGA thread?

yes sir i am.

i will cover Gundam tonight - but Gears is due to turn up - so it might be a tad short.

Dahbomb

Lyte Edge said:
Hey guys, have you heard anything about the Japanese version being censored? A friend told me he heard they removed "hero moments," but I have no idea what those are. As the Japanese version runs completely in English, it seems strange that anything would have been removed.
He's right. The Hero moments are where one of your allies is about to brutally murdered by the Chimera and you come into save his ass. It's a bit cinematic in-game thing that takes place during the game. They took it in Japan because if they die well, the result ain't pretty.

manngc

Those Nathan Hale pictures are really nice. Are we sure they're not from the FMV in the game? Even in Gears it's hard to tell if a cut-scene is FMV or not since everything is of the same quality (though the real-time cut-scene have an inconsistant fps).

Lyte Edge said:

They're scripted animation sequences where the enemy attacks one of your friendlies (ex: little critter jumping on soldier's head and impaling him with it's tail), if you shoot in time you save the day. Apparently CERO thought they were too graphic?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GEARS OF WAR says hi.
I still think Gears of War looks better overall, but there is no denying that the character models present in Resistance are significantly better than Gears of War. Gears has very low resolution textures used on the models and they are generally lower in geometric detail. Of course, the environments and larger creatures are insanely detailed.

The main character models are the weakest point of Gears (visually).

I really dig the dusk/dawn/nighttime settings. I guess this is true for most games (and hell, real life too depending on where you live), but the daytime settings look relatively bland in comparison. Not that it really matters, as they look plenty good anyway, but I've noticed that certain people tend to leave the darker environments out of the mix when they make their arguments against the visuals of the game. I mean, I don't know how impressive this is on a tech scale, but it looks genuinely good to me.

928399_111206_screen058.jpg

artist

Banned
**** VF, I'm getting this game first.

That creature (OPM cover) reminded me of something. I have to kill it. :D

Insomniac, here is my 60 bucks = heading out tomorrow morning to pre order this.:)

kevm3

Resistance almost looks like concept art, almost like a painting at times. It has a very clean and smooth look. I can't wait to see some of the other areas in the game.

Top Bottom