• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Ceb

The single player is so good that I haven't even touched multi yet. I really only thought everything in York up until the tank part was ho-hum, but from there on, it's been a blast.

I realize this is being late to the party, but the sound design is just fantastic as well! Give the ones responsible for this a raise, Insomniac. :E And while you're at it, sack the composer. :p I find myself groaning everytime the generic military "dun-dun-dun" music comes on (which is mostly in cutscenes - the ambient stuff in Grimsby was nice).

Wollan

Finished the game earlier today as well.

There's a good amount of meat to the game. A lot of enemies to shoot which was unexpected.
Not really.

painey

This game is kicking my arse! Im playing on normal and i died 3 times on the first level alone, and just finished it with a millimeter of health left..godamn.

tanod

when is my burrito
My stats, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*^$*^#^(!@^($(^#*^#$*&#$*&#*!^#@^$(&#$(#(&#$(&#(!

Dammit, this weekend was the BEST I have ever played. I really wanted my 2nd star. DAMNIT! *kittonwy angry face*

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I believe I made a mistake starting this game on Hard rather than Normal. It is taking much longer to beat. And yet, I am still enjoying it immensely. :D

M3Freak

Banned
tanod said:

Dammit, this weekend was the BEST I have ever played. I really wanted my 2nd star. DAMNIT! *kittonwy angry face*

I had some awesome stats from that Assualt game we played. Something like 41/10 kill/death. I was on the plus side for 95% of our matches. Super suckage they're all gone now.

Big-E

TGateKeeper said:
I have a blue tooth headset configured on my ps3, how do I go about using it during online play?? I have tried everything but I can't here a damn thing when playing online..

Default to talk is L3. If you join a squad you can talk without pressing any buttons.

The Jer

Also, many people join a squad in team games. Press triangle (options) at the screen before the game starts or start, once in the game.

Squads are open mic.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
NEW PATCH ISSUES

Anyone had the game lockup after the new patch went live? I've had it freeze up two-three times now.

Greg

I just got out of the worst game of Resistance that I've ever experienced. I haven't played the game since the first patch, (when they ruined the carbine) so since they fixed it for the second patch, I decided I'd give the game another go. I did 3 FFAs, and I got 2nd, 1st, and 4th...and then I was going to give some team objective a shot.

2 vs. 5 on Nottingham CTF - they scored twice and camped us in our own room for the remainder of the 30 minutes. They refused to turn the flag in for the win and just racked in kills - I don't quit, so I stayed in there until the round was over...

and guess what? yeah, they did the same thing for the second round as well. How do people enjoy an hour of camping someone? They weren't even that great either - my teamate and I managed to rack in 60 or so kills in the first round, but regardless, it was extremely frustrating. I don't even feel like playing team play again.

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:

angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
34593.jpg

^^ COME OUT AND PLAY!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

TUDSDAY NIGHT!!! TIME TO EARN BACK THOSE STATS!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF NA Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Big-E

Greg said:
I just got out of the worst game of Resistance that I've ever experienced. I haven't played the game since the first patch, (when they ruined the carbine) so since they fixed it for the second patch, I decided I'd give the game another go. I did 3 FFAs, and I got 2nd, 1st, and 4th...and then I was going to give some team objective a shot.

2 vs. 5 on Nottingham CTF - they scored twice and camped us in our own room for the remainder of the 30 minutes. They refused to turn the flag in for the win and just racked in kills - I don't quit, so I stayed in there until the round was over...

and guess what? yeah, they did the same thing for the second round as well. How do people enjoy an hour of camping someone? They weren't even that great either - my teamate and I managed to rack in 60 or so kills in the first round, but regardless, it was extremely frustrating. I don't even feel like playing team play again.

The Wedge has no leavers.

Angelcurio

Aeon712 said:
Think it's around 600k right now not counting the European sales where it was #1 :)

You really needed one when you were shooting M3:lol, I couldn't stop laughing
Ouch >_>

At least everything will come to an end today, i finally got this new baby just in time for tonights clan meetup:

h350-MOTOROLA.jpg

borat_nice.jpg

BTW; Kittonwy, my name is not present in the clan roster
angry.gif

M3Freak

Banned
Angelcurio said:
BTW; Kittonwy, my name is not present in the clan roster
angry.gif

It should be in the massive spreadsheet kaching put together. The link to it is in the "call to arms" port kittonwy put up.

I look forward to wedging up the enemy. I would prefer giving them real wedgies, but virtual frag fests, the likes of which no one has ever seen, are more fun.

Aeon712

Wollan said:
Finished the game earlier today as well.

There's a good amount of meat to the game. A lot of enemies to shoot which was unexpected.
Not really.
Darn it Wollan your impressions of Resistance were the one's I was most looking forward to. So you are going to have to translate this for me,

Did you like it?
Did it live up to the hype?
Did you have fun all the way through or just the second half?
Online impressions=

Greg

I may be joining everyone tonight if that's alright - haven't played since the first patch because I thought it ruined some basic things, but I hope to join you all tonight.

Aeon712

Greg said:
I may be joining everyone tonight if that's alright - haven't played since the first patch because I thought it ruined some basic things, but I hope to join you all tonight.
Heck yea, the more the merrier

The Jer

Hope to see you guys online tonight. I missed Saturday night and just barely missed everyone on Sunday night. If I don't play in the next day it would be the first week I haven't played the game since I purchased it.

sutdawg

Angelcurio said:
Ouch >_>

At least everything will come to an end today, i finally got this new baby just in time for tonights clan meetup:

h350-MOTOROLA.jpg

Angelcurio, just a heads-up..... that may be one of the BT headset that you have to re-sync everytime you turn on your ps3. Below is from the My resistance.net post on compatible headsets. Just double check before going into resistance(I have this issue with my motorola headset).

PLEASE NOTE: This device will remain in sync mode with your PS3 even if you turn it off. HOWEVER... If your turn off the POWER of the PS3.. (The little switch on the back of your PS3, then you will loose your settings and have to re-sync your headset.!!!)

Big-E said:
Default to talk is L3. If you join a squad you can talk without pressing any buttons.

Also, many people join a squad in team games. Press triangle (options) at the screen before the game starts or start, once in the game.

Squads are open mic.

thank for the info...

I'll be on tonite so I'll test it out.

painey

just kicked ass in a team deathmatch but left after the first round and it didnt record my stats :( Sucks because it didnt seem like I could choose my game, i just selected a match choice and it stuck me in a random game which was too long for my liking.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
After about 15 assault matches back to back to back... and not winning even one of them (but coming damn close a few times). I am now convinced that assault mode was made for the sole purpose of torturing me.

Bad_Boy said:
After about 15 assault matches back to back to back... and not winning even one of them (but coming damn close a few times). I am now convinced that assault mode was made for the sole purpose of torturing me.

If you're talking about those custom games, you were on Blue Team, and they sucked major ass, and many of them were playing for the first time/first time in a long while if you had been in the squads listening to them. They didn't even understand how to use the infinite ammo flamethrower against the chimera while defending... and me trying to explain it wasn't doing any good. Nor did they seemingly realize that you could release the vapor cloud on the reactor and get ~50 points while still being free to attack.

On the plus side, I got about 80 defense kills in Manchester.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
My Arms Your Hearse said:
If you're talking about those custom games, you were on Blue Team, and they sucked major ass, and many of them were playing for the first time/first time in a long while if you had been in the squads listening to them.

On the plus side, I got about 80 defense kills in Manchester.
Yeah, I mean I got a lot of points. And it did seem like my team sucked (not all, just majority). One round I had like 250+ points, and the rest of my team was under 100. But damn, I'm on the mic saying "lima, lima, lima, lima" about a hundred times. :lol Even when I played 20 vs 20 gaf assault this weekend, the other team owned us both rounds I played (to be fair I think it was the first time for many gaffers playing that mode, and we were just learning the ropes and even spawned at the wrong nodes).

I'll try to play again tonight with you guys, hopefully I'll have better luck. :p

That flamethrower is a bitch in that custom server too lol, everybody was spraying that shit around kilo and lima.

Aeon712

Soon as I joined that custom we took Lima and the other node :) . Base defense didn't have our back though but atleast we made a great team.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah Aeon712, definite props to you for helping with those nodes. :)
That last one I played with you was damn close.

Chrono

Banned
Anybody feels like the PS3 analog sticks aren't sensitive enough? Too many times I try to zoom in on a chimera and try to pin it down but small movements don't register, anything more and the reticle movements are too big.

Either way, I did not expect Resistance to be this awesome. Seriously, I was planning on buying it when it's 30 or whatever but thought why not. Every time I hit a new chapter, I start thinking yeah I should save and quit... but just let me take a kill... or two... then I'm on the next chapter. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Chrono said:
Anybody feels like the PS3 analog sticks aren't sensitive enough? Too many times I try to zoom in on a chimera and try to pin it down but small movements don't register, anything more and the reticle movements are too big.

Either way, I did not expect Resistance to be this awesome. Seriously, I was planning on buying it when it's 30 or whatever but thought why not. Every time I hit a new chapter, I start thinking yeah I should save and quit... but just let me take a kill... or two... then I'm on the next chapter. :lol

Yeah the game does that to you.
Indifferent2.gif

lunlunqq

ever since i started with this new lady, my playtime for resistance has dropped a lot... i've missed so many clan games... how can i resist woman for resistance.... :(

SleazyC

lunlunqq said:
ever since i started with this new lady, my playtime for resistance has dropped a lot... i've missed so many clan games... how can i resist woman for resistance.... :(
Start pretending she is a Chimera.

Big-E

Good games tonight. That deathmatch that we lost was great cause I took out Clin_Diesel and his clan by sniping and they couldn't get me. My dog almost broke my PS3 while I was playing today. I left my controler on my couch and then the dog jumped on it and somehow he flung right at my PS3 just missing it. If I had my PS3 vertical it would have probably cracked it bad but luckily today I decided to try out my PS3 horizontal for today.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Chrono said:

Nope they feel fine to me. Have you tried adjusting your look sensitivity in the options? There's a 8 or 9 point range so you're bound to find a setting that works for you.

JB1981

Chrono said:

I want a new controller so bad. I hate the sticks. And I want rumble.

The Jer

Chrono said:

That's kind of how how felt. When I bought this game, I wasn't really looking forward to it that much; I was just looking for a decent PS3 game. I've been hooked ever since.

Kittonwy

Banned
The Jer said:
That's kind of how how felt. When I bought this game, I wasn't really looking forward to it that much; I was just looking for a decent PS3 game. I've been hooked ever since.

I have to say I have NEVER played a shooter that much both single player and multiplayer combined, and playing a shooter has never been a weekly thing for me, let alone two to three times a week. I'm really looking forward to the new maps.
Indifferent2.gif

Wollan

From the latest Buzz section at the official Insomniac webpage:

There is some exciting unannounced Insomniac news coming in April, so keep checking back here and don’t miss out on one of the most rewarding projects we’ve had a chance to be a part of in our company’s history. Sorry, gotta keep that one secret for now…

Oh lord what can it be!?

I would like to think it's Home trophies to go alongside the larger closed beta starting next month (with these rewards finally being available to everyone this fall) but that's just a shot in the dark.

Ceb

Wollan said:

Oh lord what can it be!?

I would like to think it's Home trophies to go alongside the larger closed beta starting next month (with these rewards finally being available to everyone this fall) but that's just a shot in the dark.

PSN game?

dakiparu

I bought my PAL PS3 on 23rd with Resistance, Motorstorm and F1 CE. Having an XBOX360 with XBL from more than one year now, I am really impressed by PS3 zero lag online gaming! Resistance, in particular, has an online structure that could be taken as example of perfection! Tons of options, character customizations, achievements (medals), rankings, clans support not to mention lightining fast matchmaking! I really cannot see any xbox live enabled shooter to do the same things! If only XMB were more deeply integrated into the game (invite or msg friends playing different games...). Considering this is one of the first big PS3 game born to be online, future can only be brighter for PS3 fans! Take note Microsoft when you think to charge people for DLC for very laggy games like GOW (bullet lag anyone?). I hope EPIC will do GOW2 for PS3 too...NICE JOB INSOMNIAC!!!!:)

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I have to say I have NEVER played a shooter that much both single player and multiplayer combined, and playing a shooter has never been a weekly thing for me, let alone two to three times a week. I'm really looking forward to the new maps.
Indifferent2.gif

I am not a FPS gamer either. I've played them, and I have enjoyed some games (e.g. Time Splitters). But, FPS games have never been my favourite genre.

All that changed with Resistance: Fall of Man.

I can play Resistance every night and not get bored. That's saying something.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wollan said:

Oh lord what can it be!?

Sounds like something jstevenson was talking about on their 1st podcast - he was saying something about an event that would be occurring in the next 6 weeks or so.

adamYUKI

For those with the Sony Ericsson HBH-610a and a wireless internet connection:

Crap. My PS3 "finds" the headset, but when i log onto Resistance online and access the audio headset menu, the HBH-610 is listed but not highlighted. There is no response (no colored bars) when i try to speak into the headset.

Furthermore, whenever i try to pair the headset with the PS3, my wireless internet connection goes out temporarily. Has anyone experienced this?! Could there be interference issues with WIFI Internet and my Bluetooth headset? Interestingly, there are no interference issues between the Bluetooth sixaxis and my internet connection...

I'm confused...

tanod

when is my burrito
M3Freak said:
I am not a FPS gamer either. I've played them, and I have enjoyed some games (e.g. Time Splitters). But, FPS games have never been my favourite genre.

All that changed with Resistance: Fall of Man.

I can play Resistance every night and not get bored. That's saying something.

I'm exactly the same way. The last shooters I bought and enjoyed was Time Splitters on the PS2 and Halo on PC.

Top Bottom