• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

tanod

when is my burrito
If by leader, you mean somebody who can facilitate discussion about strategy, then I think Remy could do a fine job through his website.

If you're talking about somebody giving orders during a game, I don't see a need for one. We're getting a pretty good chemistry going online and I think that as people play more, they find what they're really great at and fill that role when the team needs it. I think most people who are playing right now have a pretty good idea of how the games work now except for Assault. $!%! Assault! :p

never played an assault game with people outside the clan but the game we did play, our team got whooped

M3Freak

Banned
tanod said:
If by leader, you mean somebody who can facilitate discussion about strategy, then I think Remy could do a fine job through his website.

If you're talking about somebody giving orders during a game, I don't see a need for one. We're getting a pretty good chemistry going online and I think that as people play more, they find what they're really great at and fill that role when the team needs it. I think most people who are playing right now have a pretty good idea of how the games work now except for Assault. $!%! Assault! :p

never played an assault game with people outside the clan but the game we did play, our team got whooped

That's how I see it, too.

The new three squad strategy for Breach needs more practice and discipline. For example, someone has to take the role of calling out when to switch squads, otherwise the strategy falls to pieces. That's something any one of us could do, as long as that person understands the strategy.

I suppose the leader role is more for offline stuff than in game.

[ We didn't execute the three squad strategy as well on Sunday, but it did work. when done right. And, when it's right, the attack becomes a never ending wedge. ]

tanod

when is my burrito
M3Freak said:
That's how I see it, too.

The new three squad strategy for Breach needs more practice and discipline. For example, someone has to take the role of calling out when to switch squads, otherwise the strategy falls to pieces. That's something any one of us could do, as long as that person understands the strategy.

I suppose the leader role is more for offline stuff than in game.

[ We didn't execute the three squad strategy as well on Sunday, but it did work. when done right. And, when it's right, the attack becomes a never ending wedge. ]

I think we switched over too early in the round.

BTW, posted a comment on the clan website for the assault mode.

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
I think we switched over too early in the round.

BTW, posted a comment on the clan website for the assault mode.

Yep, I agree. Also there needs to be more people going after Alpha in Nottingham Breach, and the echo-alpha route (the three nodes at the top) in Somerset Breach instead of wasting time on the Bravo/Foxtrot route, my suggestion is we shouldn't even bother with bravo or foxtrot, because that can be overwhelmed by a simple surge and you can't hold it.

I thought all this has been communicated quite clearly in the past but in Somerset, people are still going the Bravo route through the lower part of the map and it makes it ultra-hard to win that map when defense kept getting bombarded by people spawning at a node where they can get instant access to the auger and where both the laark AND the arc charger are spawn.

In Somerset we have to grab the top nodes first, THEN try to get Bravo, and the defense has to keep watch over the closest node (you can watch people coming in from that node, not to mention you have access to the laark), because once we lose it the other side all spawns from there and it's near IMPOSSIBLE to get it back and that puts us on the defensive. We were kind of lucky to win the breach matches we did on tuesday night because we made some tactical mistakes.

As of now the three squad thing only works with one map, in Somerset and Nottingham it's almost better to spawn from the closest node and make the push from there because in Somerset the closest top route houses the laark, arc charger and the auger while in Nottingham alpha houses the laark and the auger, the auger strategy is extremely effective there.

Indifferent2.gif

B-Ri

i just logged on, theres another update. could it be the lag fix? or something new :O

what ever happened wth that teaser of insomniac doing something new this week?

M3Freak

Banned
B-Ri said:
i just logged on, theres another update. could it be the lag fix? or something new :O

what ever happened wth that teaser of insomniac doing something new this week?

Damn, and _just_ finished the campaign and played online a bit afterwards. I guess I'll check it out later tonight.

The fix is probably for the bugs after the last patch.

B-Ri

M3Freak said:
Damn, and _just_ finished the campaign and played online a bit afterwards. I guess I'll check it out later tonight.

The fix is probably for the bugs after the last patch.

it seems to be im not noticing any lag on endgame, now i just need in on a 40p assault

tanod

when is my burrito
Kittonwy said:
As of now the three squad thing only works with one map, in Somerset and Nottingham it's almost better to spawn from the closest node and make the push from there because in Somerset the closest top route houses the laark, arc charger and the auger while in Nottingham alpha houses the laark and the auger, the auger strategy is extremely effective there.
It only works if we have at least 13-15 depending on how many people are on defense.

It works in Grimsby for sure and it should for Somerset too. Nottingham not so much. I agree. If anything, you end up spawning at alpha.

I think if we look for ways, we can find other uses for 3 squads in other maps and gametypes as well.

Edit: Anybody want to play a couple games tonight. Just got done with my paper and presentation today. :D

tanod

when is my burrito
Fixed my avatar. I believe they said that after-game lag is gone. One week: Maybe Evolution needs to take a big $^*##!ing hint. :\

EDIT: Probably won't be playing tonight. Kind of exhausted. I'll probably grab the update and log off.

How bout a patch for those stats I lost?
Yeah, still bitter

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
Fixed my avatar. I believe they said that after game lag is gone. One week: Maybe Evolution needs to take a big $^*##!ing hint. :\

Saturday's clan meeting should be sweet now that people don't have to wait 30 sec before talking after a match.

I agree Evolution needs to do something about the online mode, the actual gameplay is great which I don't have a problem with, but they need to fix the buddy list thing because I still have no buddies, plus they need to put text-chat in there, most of the time I just don't feel like talking. Something they need to do is have a board where people can let them know what problems there are, like Insomniac is doing with MyResistance, I think that just makes the community so much better.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
tanod said:

There are sometimes I feel lost when we play in a group, but in general I catch on and move along (ie. which base to attack) but besides that I'm cool

M3Freak

Banned
As I mentioned briefly in previous post, I finished the campaign yesterday. Took me two months to do because I was playing it here and there for maybe an hour or two at a time.

Here's my obligatory post game summary:

1. Everything about the game goes through the roof as it progresses. I remember reading that Insomniac wasn't consistent in the level design, but I beg to differ: it's too purposeful the way the levels were set up. The slow, but massive ramp up was planning from the beginning. Why they did that, I don't know, but I liked it.

2. The
snow in London
: holy shit. I was mesmerized. It looked real.

3. The sound in this game is phenomenal. I only have a 5.1 setup (though it did cost us about $5000), so I didn't get the full 7.1 PCM effect. Still, it rocked - I'm really appreciating the huge improvement in sound in PS3 games.

4. The
Tower in the "Last Hope" level
was terrific. Not only did I spend tons of time just staring at everthing, but it really did fell huge. I also got the feeling it was cold and dry, just like the
intel reports
said.

5. The last battle was freaking awesome. I think I played it 6 or 7 times before I got it right. It was really intense, and I liked having some of the
British soldiers
fighting along with me.

6. The
Angel birthing sacks
were making me nervous. I kept thinking they were going to burst open at any minute and start attacking me from behind. I stayed away from them, and didn't shoot at them either, except for one that was way out in the middle - nothing happened though.

7. Someone was asking way earlier in this thread if Cartwright lived. Well,
I'm pretty sure he did. In the cut scene just before the last battle, you see that lady sitting beside someone in a helcopter. That someone looks injured, but more importantly, he looks exactly like Cartwright. He made it out.

I'm looking forward to the next R:FoM game. I want to know more about the R:FoM story. So many unanswered questions!

All in all, a terrific game, made even more memorable by the fact that it's a launch title! 10/10 for me!

FightyF

Banned
Am I the only one who didn't dig the single player experience that much?

I am planning to go through it again on Hard, and already I think it's a better experience...but compared to other FPS games, I wasn't that impressed by it that much.

The best feature, IMO, is the massive scope and size of the levels, and it had the potential of being very open ended and not so linear. Just imagine the Manchester 40p level infested with baddies...that's what I wanted. And so I don't think they used this to maximum effect.

At the same time as playing Resistance, I was playing Prey, and so maybe that kinda hampered with my enjoyment of the game. Prey, IMO, has pretty average combat, but excellent level and puzzle design. Resistance combat seemed pretty good to me, but I just wish the levels were more open ended.

That reminds me, I wish they made the hotel a multiplayer map...even if it was only 8p...it would make a cool map...even for 16p CTF.

I agree about the
snow in London...it looked beautiful, most realistic snow ever...to the point where it can't be topped...that is the pinnacle of videogame snow, I'm not kidding!

Ceb

I also finished the campaign yesterday, and I agree with pretty much everything M3Freak said. Fantastic game, it would be perfect if Insomniac could work in some "character moments" from Half-Life 2 into the next one though.

Wollan

So is there a variety of unlockables for each difficulty or is everything the same across the board with the exception of Super Human?

tanod

when is my burrito
The brilliance of the level design is more pronounced on Hard. It seems that they originally designed them with that difficulty in mind. Check it out. Completely changes the way you play the game from Normal.

jjasper

M3Freak said:
6. The
Angel birthing sacks
were making me nervous. I kept thinking they were going to burst open at any minute and start attacking me from behind. I stayed away from them, and didn't shoot at them either, except for one that was way out in the middle - nothing happened though.

:lol I did too, that and the fact that the
Angel flying up out of nowhere in the beginning of the level made me jump out of my seat

Aeon712

So many conversion matches, I just played 3 straight before signing off. It's like Resistance knows I don't like the mode so it's gonna keep giving it to me till I do.

pswii60

I'm very LTTP here but,

I tried the demo and initially dismissed it as looking rather crap, especially after playing GoW.

BUT then I realised that there is another level in the demo - Nottingham.

OMFG! It's insane. It's like a completely different game. The graphics are amazing, and it also goes to show the true variety between stages. I'm gonna be picking this game up first thing tomorrow!

Big-E

pswii60 said:
I'm very LTTP here but,

I tried the demo and initially dismissed it as looking rather crap, especially after playing GoW.

OMFG! It's insane. It's like a completely different game. The graphics are amazing, and it also goes to show the true variety between stages. I'm gonna be picking this game up first thing tomorrow!

You will be glad you did.

M3Freak

Banned
pswii60 said:
I'm very LTTP here but,

You have no idea what you're in for. The last third of the game is out of this world. The very last level will shatter your jaw because it's going to drop so fast and so hard against the floor it'll leave a crater. Really, it's true.

I have to say, this game proved to me gaming sites and magazines aren't reviewing games properly. They're finishing them too fast, and probably using easy modes. Online multiplayer is certainly not being reviewed like it should.

I truly do not understand how so many magazines have called this game average.

pswii60

M3Freak said:
You have no idea what you're in for. The last third of the game is out of this world. The very last level will shatter your jaw because it's going to drop so fast and so hard against the floor it'll leave a crater. Really, it's true.

I have to say, this game proved to me gaming sites and magazines aren't reviewing games properly. They're finishing them too fast, and probably using easy modes. Online multiplayer is certainly not being reviewed like it should.

Can't wait to get my teeth stuck in to this game :)

JB1981

M3Freak said:

The game's good. Don't oversell it, though.

Core407

Banned
I'm playing through it on Superhuman now and while it is hard, it is far from Halo Legendary. Still one of the best SP experiences out there and I dig the way they extended the life of the SP with new weapons.

M3Freak

Banned
JB1981 said:
The game's good. Don't oversell it, though.

Why not? I like it. I like it a lot. I'm not even a FPS fan, so it's surprising I like the game as much as I do.

Besides, all the GAF clan members love it. We wouldn't be in the clan or continually posting in this thread if we didn't like it as much as we do.

At any rate, it's a lof of fun. Not everyone will like it as much as I do: so be it.

Lain

Finished my first playthrough of the game, and I've really enjoyed it.
Maybe it is because I'm not used to FPS on consoles, as I only loved them on PC and hated them on consoles, but I've found this game to be great. Interesting story, nice weapons, cool levels and atmosphere, all made me wanting the next installment to see where the story goes.
There's also something I really didn't like, and that is getting stuck in some places and being forced to restart the level (also some of the textures looked low res).
Now I'm probably ready to play some ranked game to get my ass handed to me ><.

Aeon712

I'd play but I just got off not too long ago. Played some unranked games with Baren and Xenon. We took the top 3 scores :), now I have to get and watch Code Geass.

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
I'd play but I just got off not too long ago. Played some unranked games with Baren and Xenon. We took the top 3 scores :), now I have to get and watch Code Geass.

Shitty. Well, I'll see you and everyone else tomorrow night then.

Greg

Anybody playing right now? I can't decide if I want to play Motorstorm or Resistance - I haven't played either in a while...

Top Bottom