• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
The new clan welcome message is a nice touch.
hem.gif

Aeon712

M3Freak said:
That late start on Saturday sucks, eh? By the time you get on people start taking off.
That just means you guys can't hold me back for that long :lol
I kid, I kid

Almost done work YaY, 23 more min.

lunlunqq

i told the lady that i have some very "important work" that i have to finish at home tonight so that i can finally leave her place and play resistance with you guys.

Greg

I only caught the first few games, but it was a lot of fun - definitely a different environment when playing in a group.

I have to see this last episode of the Sopranos before the On Demand channel takes it down, so I'll possibly be back online later tonight.

Thanks for the good games.

tanod

when is my burrito
I just got back from my friend's wedding reception and am as drunk as a .... um... lobster? You guys still playing? Of course you are. See you in two seconds RAWR! :)

M3 and I kicked some ass earlier this afternoon on our own. Good stuff! I've never really liked shooters before but I am totally gay for this game.

I just bought a PS3 last week, downloaded the Resistance demo, and thought it was okay. I died a lot though. For someone who just very casually plays FPS's (and I stress very... the last FPS I played was Half-Life 2 in '04) will I enjoy Resistance... and is it worth $70 (CDN)?

tanod

when is my burrito
disappeared said:
I just bought a PS3 last week, downloaded the Resistance demo, and thought it was okay. I died a lot though. For someone who just very casually plays FPS's (and I stress very... the last FPS I played was Half-Life 2 in '04) will I enjoy Resistance... and is it worth $70 (CDN)?

**** YES! GET NOW. Read my post above yours. This game is in the top 5 longest active thread on the boards. There's a reason for that.

Oh and get a headset if you don't have one. Experience +10000000000000000.

The Jer

Sorry guys, I'm having some bluetooth difficulties. :\

Hopefully everything will work out so I can get on tonight, and not have any problems.

The Jer

disappeared said:
With the controller? I've been reading some stories about them.

no, that's something else. That's like a quick 3 second "spaz." It only happens once every 10-20 hours of gaming or so. But, its still annoying and still something to complain about.

I was having trouble connecting anything to my PS3 via bluetooth: headset, controllers, keyboard, mouse. I live in an area with alot of wireless networks and possibly several other bluetooth devices, so it could have been interference. It all seems to be working now, so I'll try to join up with everyone playing.

The Jer

Wha????

I just got randomly dropped from the party. It was so odd.
I'm still signed on and I didn't recieve an error message or anything.

I'm not gonna give up though. I haven't hit up a Res clan night in over a week and I needs my fix.

Kittonwy

Banned
disappeared said:

The real game is much better than the demo.
gladtomeetya.gif

Foil

The Jer said:
Wha????

I just got randomly dropped from the party. It was so odd.
I'm still signed on and I didn't recieve an error message or anything.

Yeah the same thing happened to me. Does that mean somebody booted me or was that a server error?

The Jer

disappeared said:
Maybe I'll give it a rent then. Then I'll see if I want to fully commit.

For MP, this is the type of game that is apprecciated more after more time has been spent with it, so keep that in mind. Also, make sure to hit up a GAF clan night when/if you decide to rent it. MP is where this game shines, IMO.

disappeared said:

BoomHeadShot.gif

M3Freak

Banned
andrewjnyc said:
Hey, what's the name of the NeoGAF clan? I'd love to jump in if you guys will have me...

Send kaching a pm and he'll add you. But, you have to get online at least once before he can send you an invite.

M3Freak said:
Send kaching a pm and he'll add you. But, you have to get online at least once before he can send you an invite.

Cool. I've played online before with my main ID, so I should be OK. I'll send that PM right now...

Chrono

Banned
So I just checked out the online multiplayer for the first time and it's... intimidating. So many options and modes, crazy. I got into a few matches with like 4/5 players, they had infinite ammo settings and one-hit kills or something. Then messed around with a Breach game I think, and it was fun, but I only played for like 5 minutes. I was just so lost, the map (and I think there was a radar.. or was it just a map? it's late...) was also completely new to me.

BTW, can you sprint indefinitely or is there a limit? At first It thought it was like Battlefield2 but it appears there's no limit or anything.

On a different note: which part of the game does the demo cover? I'm tempted to d/l and play it for some reason, even though I finished the game. >_>;

Another unrelated note: The game doesn't take as much of a hit as I thought it would when played in 480p. I switched between 480p and 720p on my monitor and while the latter is much sharper and cleaner, I can still see 480p as playable and it looked great. People saying you need an HDTV for PS3 are giving wrong advice imo. :p

Remy

Chrono said:
So I just checked out the online multiplayer for the first time and it's... intimidating. So many options and modes, crazy. I got into a few matches with like 4/5 players, they had infinite ammo settings and one-hit kills or something. Then messed around with a Breach game I think, and it was fun, but I only played for like 5 minutes. I was just so lost, the map (and I think there was a radar.. or was it just a map? it's late...) was also completely new to me.

In general, stay away from custom games with infinite ammo. They turn into spam fests and it really gives you the wrong impression of how the game works.

BTW, can you sprint indefinitely or is there a limit? At first It thought it was like Battlefield2 but it appears there's no limit or anything.

Humans can sprint indefinitely but cannot fire while sprinting.

Chimera can "rage" indefinitely *and* can fire while sprinting *and* get a slight boost to their firepower, but once the rage meter fills it saps their health to 50%.

Angelcurio

Awesome games last night. I jumped in like 1 hour late cuz i was having serious issues with my BT headset.

Lots of drunken people :lol

Aeon712

Only funny moment I was a apart of last night was when B-Ri thought I called him a cracker:lol. Other then that we got wrecked in Meltdown. Since weve switched to this 3node strategy we've been losing a lot of meltdown games.

Greg

good games this morning, Aeon - i didn't expect anyone to be on so early, haha.

i'll be getting a functional headset soon - i've been waiting for sony to announce one, but I'm tired of waiting and attempting to use this broken headset from the original SOCOM.

Kittonwy

Banned
1_babyninja.jpg

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!! Life is like a game of Resistance, you never know what you're going to get.
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF NA Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Aeon712 said:
Only funny moment I was a apart of last night was when B-Ri thought I called him a cracker:lol. Other then that we got wrecked in Meltdown. Since weve switched to this 3node strategy we've been losing a lot of meltdown games.

thatsracist.gif :D

Yeah, those Meltdown games were pretty unkind to the clan last night. We had trouble deciding which majority of nodes to cap and protect, and then if the plan didn't go right we didn't have much of a Plan B to adjust. Everybody seemed to have a different idea on what to do. I blame the booz. ;)

SleazyC

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
thatsracist.gif :D

Yeah, those Meltdown games were pretty unkind to the clan last night. We had trouble deciding which majority of nodes to cap and protect, and then if the plan didn't go right we didn't have much of a Plan B to adjust. Everybody seemed to have a different idea on what to do. I blame the booz. ;)
Personally I think last nights meltdowns on Meltdown games were due to indecisivenesses. We need one person calling out the shots and when someone says "Go to X" we need people to go there. We need to call out names and tell people to go to certain nodes so we don't have 10 people going to defend a node and causing us to lose another. People need to have headsets. It's pretty imperative even if you don't talk (like me) as you can hear and respond to commands given.

I also like the idea of holding 3 nodes and not giving them up but I think we should have a squad of people roaming inbetween nodes to respond faster to help calls. These people would also be there to call out where groups of the enemy may be heading and to mop up stragglers. The downside of this of course is that we give up X amount of people that could be defending or attacking nodes. I think the best size would be 2 groups of 2 people. You would have to be pretty damn quick and a good shot to be part of this roaming squad since you wouldn't be getting much help and a lot of pressure would be on you to take down the people you see (probably going to deal with a ton of 1 on X situations) and to be able to direct our reinforcements as the enemy moves.

Just a couple ideas I had after last night. Also when we are attacking a node we really need to stop going in one at a time. Regroup and rush in to overwhelm them. Pick up weapons that do major damage (arc charger, LARK, shotgun, different types of grenades) so we can take down those reactors.

Just a bit of rant. Any thoughts?

patsu

SleazyC said:
People need to have headsets. It's pretty imperative even if you don't talk (like me) as you can hear and respond to commands given.

I didn't play last night but I agree with this statement. I got hold of an old Sony webcam. Can't talk through it but I can hear you guys loud and clear. Will join the party again once my workload stablizes.

Just a couple ideas I had after last night. Also when we are attacking a node we really need to stop going in one at a time.

Also agree with this one, but sometimes we can send in a decoy (to die). Should be workable if most people have headset. I saw another clan did this before (The decoy came in with an Arc Charger in Papa Grimsby, so everyone in the room went after him) :)

tanod

when is my burrito
YOUR MOM said:
Reposted for great justice:

Tonight is the end of the road. Kaching is dissolving the clan. After seeing how terrible we performed last night, I don't blame him.

He has taken all the links down for all the clan related stuff. See for yourselves

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF NA Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p6o_nUUSfsrgwcF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

If your a Noob or a hoser and you want to join my super awesome new clan called NEO-NEOGAF, follow these directions or if you can't read, which most of you can't have your mom read these to you.

TO JOIN:

1) Wrap your PS3 in a towel

2) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

3) LEAVE the NeoGAF clan.

4) PM kaching and tell him that he sucks

5) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

6) Post his response on this thread, except write it in all caps with additional, numerous and intentional grammatical and spelling errors. Make sure you quote him

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays Midnight thirty DSL

Wednesday at 9AM CAT

Sundays at 11PM PS3

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://kotaku.com/clangaf/

The login is "DLS", and the password is a twelve-letter word starting with "yourmom" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy and tell him what you want to do to his mom)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM and tell him how so not smart he is for not having thought of what you're about to tell him.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups. And to this, I only have one thing to say. STOP coming. SERIOUSLY. It's totally fun having 20 people on but 21 just ****ing ruins it. Matter of fact, donate your PS3 to your smashmyPS3.com and tell them that you want to watch them destroy it in front of you. Post pics

The Flying V tactic explained:

The "flying V" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and get grenaded and/or laarrked. Whoever came up with this is either stupid or ate paint as a child or both. I don't know but it works really well for boosting the egos of all the other clans.

It does not, despite its name, resemble a Mighty Ducks movie. There are neither preteen boys, a guy named Hans, Emilio Estevez or a team called the Hawks. Totally misleading and nonsensical but that's the way we like it.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a bullhorn. The mic support is still not up to par adn everybody is SO QUIET. So, since we have a hard time hearing you, please use said bullhorn or yell as loudly as possible into your mic on your headset. Remember, louder = better and there is no better way to coordinate a fluid and functioning team than your yelling at them at the top of your lungs. Pay no mind to your wife or gf who may give you dirty looks, they are just jealous that you don't talk to them that way.

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by bitching loudly at whoever you talk to online even if they're not playing or own resistance. Everybody should know that some guy who you can't remember the user name of, except for that part that said TACO, totally whipped your ass in a completely fair way. Insomniac intentionally made the game that way. Real pros take advantage of the system, MATRIX-style.

If you have questions, please look into your pants. If you see anything, keep your trap shut and take it like a man. Suck it up.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

PS! Please quote this post in every reply to this thread. Thanks

Have a good day. See you tonight.

The Jer

I've always felt that Meltdown was about being aggressive. Constantly putting pressure on the other team. Even if that means not capturing a node, but just causing the other team to continue losing nodes, over and over. So, I'm not much a fan of the 3 node strategy. I also like to avoid some of the hight traffic nodes and go for the nodes that ussually have less defense (like the nodes near the opponents base), which allow you to easily make the other team loose a node, even if they get it back later. Aggressive and offensive.

That being said, I'm happy with whatever and I'll enjoy playing with GAF no matter what strategies we use and how we play. I just like to play and have fun with it.

double edit: it reads like it did the first time.

Foil

SleazyC said:
People need to have headsets. It's pretty imperative even if you don't talk (like me) as you can hear and respond to commands given.

Is there an option to have the voice chat come out via your tv speakers for those without headsets (like me). Atleast that way I'd be able to hear where people want me to go.

patsu said:
Also agree with this one, but sometimes we can send in a decoy (to die). Should be workable if most people have headset. I saw another clan did this before (The decoy came in with an Arc Charger in Papa Grimsby, so everyone in the room went after him) :)

Sounds like something I'd be good at. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
The Jer said:
I've always felt that Meltdown was about being aggressive. Constantly putting pressure on the other team. Even if that means not capturing a node, but just causing the other team to continue losing nodes, over and over. So, I'm not much a fan of the 3 node strategy. I also like to avoid some of the hight traffic nodes and go for the nodes that ussually have less defense (like the nodes near the opponents base), which allow you to easily make the other team loose a node, even if they get it back later. Aggressive and offensive.

That being said, I'm happy with whatever and I'll enjoy playing with GAF no matter what strategies we use and how we play. I just like to play and have fun with it.

I think our problem with meltdown right now is that we're thinking too hard. Breach requires a lot more strategy and team work. Meltdown and TDM just require you to be better than the other team.

Aeon712

Foil said:
Is there an option to have the voice chat come out via your tv speakers for those without headsets (like me). Atleast that way I'd be able to hear where people want me to go.
There seems to be a way, Greg had the audio coming through his tv earlier when we played.

Big-E

Foil said:

There is. Go into the audio device settings once you login to the online part of the game and change the output to your speakers.

Kittonwy

Banned
Big-E said:
There is. Go into the audio device settings once you login to the online part of the game and change the output to your speakers.

Yep, that way they can hear it when I go, "GET TEH ****ING NODES!!!
angry.gif
"

Greg

The Jer said:
So that ended up working? Sweet.
Yeah Jer, I forgot to thank you for that - works well enough until I finally get a headset that functions properly. :lol

I'm keeping my eye on this one, not sure if I should throw down the money for it though...
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=12163

Not sure if I'll be able to make it tonight though - I have class early tomorrow morning, and my professor gave this ridiculous assignment to write 3 pages based off my interpretation of an image...i've been staring at it since I woke up and have managed to stall until now.

Big-E

Greg said:
Yeah Jer, I forgot to thank you for that - works well enough until I finally get a headset that functions properly. :lol

I'm keeping my eye on this one, not sure if I should throw down the money for it though...
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=12163

Not sure if I'll be able to make it tonight though - I have class early tomorrow morning, and my professor gave this ridiculous assignment to write 3 pages based off my interpretation of an image...i've been staring at it since I woke up and have managed to stall until now.

That's the one i jacked from my Dad. It works fairly well but I don't use it anymore cause I am too lazy to keep charging things so I use the Motorola NFL PS2 USB headset instead.

Greg

Big-E said:
That's the one i jacked from my Dad. It works fairly well but I don't use it anymore cause I am too lazy to keep charging things so I use the Motorola NFL PS2 USB headset instead.
I would be using my original SOCOM headset if it didn't stop working on me. I can't hear from it, but I can talk...somewhat. I should save myself the money and just buy a cheap USB one.

I guess I can't complain, that headset lasted 5 years...

Top Bottom