• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
Another awesome night. Too bad we lost the last TDM before I left. See ya on Sunday night.
angry.gif

Angelcurio

Nice games last night. The only game we lost before i left was the Meltdown game. Sorry guys, but i was just falling asleep when i was supposed to defend Charlie :D

Aeon712

I've noticed that when I defend a node with M3 we always end up doing stupid things like playing with Air Fuels etc which always leads to our death :lol.

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
I've noticed that when I defend a node with M3 we always end up doing stupid things like playing with Air Fuels etc which always leads to our death :lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

Ya, what the hell is with that?! We did it again on that Meltdown game last night. We lost the node a bunch of times because we'd run around trying to defend other nodes from a distance. Meanwhile, the enemy quietly walks in behind us and takes the node we're supposed to be watching. Comedy of errors, I say.

You know, this bodes well for Warhawk. If Aeon and I ever get in one of those two player vehicles, I'll be driving over cliffs while he shoots at birds. Defence FTW!

patsu

M3Freak said:
You know, this bodes well for Warhawk. If Aeon and I ever get in one of those two player vehicles, I'll be driving over cliffs while he shoots at birds. Defence FTW!

I might end up running the warhawk server... depending on whether I got tired with Folding in my spare time. ;)

Summer is unbearably hot around here though. So we shall run some experiments.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

Ya, what the hell is with that?! We did it again on that Meltdown game last night. We lost the node a bunch of times because we'd run around trying to defend other nodes from a distance. Meanwhile, the enemy quietly walks in behind us and takes the node we're supposed to be watching. Comedy of errors, I say.

I wonder if one can throw and attach air fuels to birds...

Don't try it.

Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
75391_2.jpg

^^ Ready to pounce on the competition???!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!! DON'T FORGET TO CHUCK THOSE GRENADES!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF NA Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hey folks. I've had this game since November, but save for clearing the first stage, admittedly didn't give it much of a shot back that. (Same with Gears of War). Well, having finished GoW last night, I dedicated today into starting a new Resistance file and giving the game another shot.

I just cleared the Pylon (Nottingham) stage, and am taking a dinner break. Neat game so far. Not as clever or good as GoW was, but so far, lacking some of GoW's more critical flaws.

How far am I, in rough percentages? (Just started the stage at Northern Command... got separated from Parker and most of the Brit troops (again).

Another thing. Every once in a while, the Sixaxis cuts out either causing it to cease responding for a few seconds, or causing whatever direction I was traveling/looking and/or whatever button(s) I was pressing to get "stuck". Is this a flaw with the game, or something? It hasn't cost me a respawn yet, but it's pretty freaking annoying.

kammy

Banned
When is the global server patch out?

I'm stuck playing japanese gamers. Not played it much due to this, but im sure i'll whoop you all. That wedge tactic sounds good. Do people use it alot? :lol:

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kammy said:

I'm stuck playing japanese gamers. Not played it much due to this, but im sure i'll whoop you all. That wedge tactic sounds good. Do people use it alot? :lol:

May for global server.

I see plenty of wedges when I'm against a clan. Sadly :lol

Aeon712

OK so while talking to M3 earlier I came up with this awesome way for me to get my medal err I mean for the team to beat defensive teams with air fuels.

kammy said:

Pffft you wish

Angelcurio

I will join you guys in an hour or so, after i finish talking with my GF.

I promise i wont fall asleep while protecting Charlie today :lol

Aeon712

Great Games tonight, we only lost that one meltdown game before I just bailed. That one very long Breach game was awesome since I got 49kills :D. Don't think Efertlis thought it was as awesome.

ChryZ

Fun night indeed. Sorry for disbanding the party though. My DSL re-sync'd with a resulting network error. I got online afterwards, but you guys were still in the game and I didn't felt like waiting, so I called it a night. A few guys were early on and the session prior to the disconnect was like ~7h long, hehe time flies when ya havin fun. I hope the realigning wasn't too much trouble.

patsu

I like one of the earlier Meltdown games where we lost the initial round and also the first part of the second round, then got the game back.

Need to recover from my fever fast. Flying off the day after for the next 2 weeks. So I won't be seeing you all for quite some time.

jjasper

Mejilan said:
Hey folks. I've had this game since November, but save for clearing the first stage, admittedly didn't give it much of a shot back that. (Same with Gears of War). Well, having finished GoW last night, I dedicated today into starting a new Resistance file and giving the game another shot.

I just cleared the Pylon (Nottingham) stage, and am taking a dinner break. Neat game so far. Not as clever or good as GoW was, but so far, lacking some of GoW's more critical flaws.

How far am I, in rough percentages? (Just started the stage at Northern Command... got separated from Parker and most of the Brit troops (again).

Another thing. Every once in a while, the Sixaxis cuts out either causing it to cease responding for a few seconds, or causing whatever direction I was traveling/looking and/or whatever button(s) I was pressing to get "stuck". Is this a flaw with the game, or something? It hasn't cost me a respawn yet, but it's pretty freaking annoying.

I think you are about 1/2 done maybe a little more (can't exactly remember) and the issue with the controller is one that I think is a system problem and not a game problem. I have had it happen in other games (although I haven't had it happen at all recently)

jjasper said:
I think you are about 1/2 done maybe a little more (can't exactly remember) and the issue with the controller is one that I think is a system problem and not a game problem. I have had it happen in other games (although I haven't had it happen at all recently)

It is definitely a system problem...My controller made me walk off a cliff outside of the Imperial City in Oblivion last week.

Only way to solve the issue, as of now, is to have it connected via USB when playing. I make sure to have it connected USB when playing online especially....I got super pissed a few months ago at controller spazzes and stopped playing Resistance because of it...but it is too much fun to just put down...

JB1981

Arde0 said:
It is definitely a system problem...My controller made me walk off a cliff outside of the Imperial City in Oblivion last week.

Only way to solve the issue, as of now, is to have it connected via USB when playing. I make sure to have it connected USB when playing online especially....I got super pissed a few months ago at controller spazzes and stopped playing Resistance because of it...but it is too much fun to just put down...
My controller seems to spazz out more when I'm playing PS2 games, than PS3 ones. During God of War 2 the thing spazzed out a lot. But I can go through several hours of playing Resistance and not have a problem.

JB1981 said:
My controller seems to spazz out more when I'm playing PS2 games, than PS3 ones. During God of War 2 the thing spazzed out a lot. But I can go through several hours of playing Resistance and not have a problem.

I have the exact opposite experience...oddly enough. The controller never (watch it happen today) drops when playing PS2 games. They really need to fix this problem....it gets in the way of me getting owned playing multiplayer.

Seriously. I suck at Resistance online.....I love it so though.

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
OK so while talking to M3 earlier I came up with this awesome way for me to get my medal err I mean for the team to beat defensive teams with air fuels.

That's not going to work. I don't know if you already talked to the other guys about it last night, but I did. So, we tried it out during a Meltdown match. The air fuel didn't stick.

ChryZ

patsu said:
I like one of the earlier Meltdown games where we lost the initial round and also the first part of the second round, then got the game back.
That was really a great game!

We also had a very awesome CTF game. We won both rounds, but the second one was a bit of a drag. We were leading 1:0 and they played nothing but defense protecting their flag. A long and fierce battle, but when the last flag arrived at our base, it was one big party, the whole gang hopping around firing their last ammo into the air :lol

... and we don't talk about the fact that I've almost returned one of their flags back to their base in a moment of disorientation
:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
That's not going to work. I don't know if you already talked to the other guys about it last night, but I did. So, we tried it out during a Meltdown match. The air fuel didn't stick.

It's too bad, because that would have been cool.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

ChryZ said:
That was really a great game!

Four of them were running circles around me in Papa. Eventually I gave up and went to the Roundhouse instead (Echo ?). And there I saw one of our non-GAF guys camping at the LAARK generation point, looking downwards at the counter... like a statue, while a human enemy just feets away was fighting furiously against me with a flamethrower. :)

The room was kinda small with burning fire "everywhere". It's very satisfying when we won the game against an overall stronger team.

We also had a very awesome CTF game. We won both rounds, but the second one was a bit of a drag. We were leading 1:0 and they played nothing but defense protecting their flag. A long and fierce battle, but when the last flag arrived at our base, it was one big party, the whole gang hopping around firing their last ammo into the air :lol

CTF is my favorite objective game because it's small enough and the roles are very clear cut at any point in time.

... and we don't talk about the fact that I've almost returned one of their flags back to their base in a moment of disorientation
:lol

Ha ha ! Is that Manchester ? I still get lost in that map sometimes. They ought to project Human and Chimera insignia into the sky like Batman.

Aeon712

M3Freak said:
Guess I'll never get 100 air fuel kills, people are too smart to stick around when they see the smoke. Heck I run from the friendly smoke.

sutdawg

Aeon712 said:
Guess I'll never get 100 air fuel kills, people are too smart to stick around when they see the smoke. Heck I run from the friendly smoke.

Hey that's not the additude of a truely awesome player! I thought my personal decoy was awesome? Maybe I will need to have someone else assigned to me! :lol

Mejilan

jjasper said:

That's annoying. Good to hear that there's a sync fix as far as the Sixaxis is concerned, but that won't work for me. The included cable is WAY too short to reach me. Pity Sony couldn't extend it to a reasonable length, like MS did. Anyone know where I can (cheaply) find a lengthy USB cable that works with the PS3?

I wonder why the hell this controller issue isn't discussed more. Seems like a fairly glaring flaw in an already extremely unimpressive controller. I only own Resistance (and Blast Factor, which I never play), so I spend most of my PS3 time either watching movies or folding, neither of which have given me much of an opportunity to experience this controller sync issue.

Thanks for answering my questions though!

Mejilan

Holy crap that stage was a cop out. Seemingly endless monotonous tunnels with the promise of interesting fights due to the Intel on the Angel creature, not to mention whatever was burrowing the non-man-made tunnels.

Only to end in a lame fight where the "burrower" dumps a bunch of fodder grunts, and an Angel that dies via cutscene. Bleeeeeh.

Alright, so those weird, long-legged things from the room before made for a mildly amusing battle. Still.

FightyF

Banned
Well, the controller was an issue at launch...Sony is pretty much aware of it.

Secondly, it's happened far less frequently to me now...I've only had one case of it in the last 2 months. Do you have the latest system update?

As far as an extention cord goes...if I were in your position I would head over to a store that does custom cables. There's one where I live and they have reasonable prices. I don't think you'll find anything at big box retailers.

I played over a wired connection last night...and still got disconnected from a match! :lol It is set to a static IP that is a DMZ...so there shouldn't be any issues with ports.

I don't mind that...compared to how it was over my wireless (I would start lagging)...it's a whole lot better.

I did horrible last night...and while I could blame it on the fact that I didn't sleep the night prior...

My Motorola BlueTooth headset is still giving me troubles. I'm spring cleaning and I found some french manuals for older games, and I found one for ATV3 for the PS2. On the back cover, they showed a slick Sony brand USB headset! That's what I've been looking for! I haven't found that in any retail store though...not even The Sony Store. I'll take a look online.

Mejilan

Nah, I'm fully updated with version 1.70, so whatever the issue is, it hasn't been resolved. Perhaps there's a software element to it that's been fixed in later games, but still affects some launch titles. I don't think so, but eh, who knows.

I can't believe a third party hasn't come out with a longer cable, or a cable extender yet. Bleh.

JB1981

Mejilan said:
Nah, I'm fully updated with version 1.70, so whatever the issue is, it hasn't been resolved. Perhaps there's a software element to it that's been fixed in later games, but still affects some launch titles. I don't think so, but eh, who knows.

I can't believe a third party hasn't come out with a longer cable, or a cable extender yet. Bleh.
just buy a cheap usb extender cable

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Mejilan said:

not necessary for a 3rd or first party extender, you could just run to best buy and grab any generic brand, how much do those things even cost? 4-5 dollars?

Mejilan

An extender? Alright then. I thought it looked like a generic mini-USB, but FfF started talking about custom cables and shit...

calder

You just need any USB mini-A cable I think. You should be able to buy a 6 foot or larger length for less than $10 at most computer supply stores, which is why you won't see any official connectors or extenders. Maximum USB cable length is 5 meters, which is godonlyknows how many feet in your crazy "Imperial but we don't call it that" units of measurement.

The Jer

Mejilan said:
An extender? Alright then. I thought it looked like a generic mini-USB, but FfF started talking about custom cables and shit...

Nah, it's just generic USB (!).
If you're like me, you've got several of these cables just sitting around.

I wouldn't put it past a company to create "controller connecting cable" or some junk like and just package USB cable in a special box.

FightyF

Banned
Mejilan said:

Heh, I mentioned that because I thought you had a lot of distance to cover.

AFAIK they don't sell female to male USB cables, just longer USB cables, I could be wrong though, let me check online.

Actually I found a 6ft one at Best Buy. Buy a couple of those...but that's $44 Cdn.

Again, if I were in your situation, I'd get a longer one at half that price by getting it custom built.

FightyF

Banned
The Jer said:
Nah, it's just generic USB (!).
If you're like me, you've got several of these cables just sitting around.

I wouldn't put it past a company to create "controller connecting cable" or some junk like and just package USB cable in a special box.

Actually I did see one for the PSP, and I did buy it because it came with software to transfer your PSP stuff to your PC and PS2 and vice versa.

So if I can find my PSP :)P), I'll use that to transfer my PS2 file saves to my PS3.

ChryZ

patsu said:
Ha ha ! Is that Manchester ? I still get lost in that map sometimes. They ought to project Human and Chimera insignia into the sky like Batman.
Yeah, it was Manchester indeed. Those damn mirrored maps :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Is there a reason why the mini-map in the upper right part of the screen doesnt show up in ranked games? One showing just the direction to go for the flag or the nodes would be nice. I hate having to bring up the whole map when I respawn at PAPA and want to go towards the next enemy node or whatever :/

I'd also whish it was easier to change squad channel midgame but I see there are no free buttons left on the sixaxis for that.

Also, strange bug yesterday. 40p meltdown at Nottingam. Some nodes kept disappearing from the map during the first round. 2nd round was ok.

Top Bottom