• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Aeon712

patsu said:
Hmm... I thought there are 2 hills (left and right). Which one is sniper hill ? And the other one is ? :)
Left is sniper hill and the other is opposite sniper hill. The wall over the sniper is what we call sniper wall.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Left is sniper hill and the other is opposite sniper hill. The wall over the sniper is what we call sniper wall.

Gimme somethin' ta BELIEVE in!!!
Indifferent2.gif

That melee round was awesome.

Kittonwy

Banned
Btw, we were rockin' tonight.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon probably thinks it was because of Maroon 5... maybe? :p

It's all because of teh trout.

Aeon712 said:

That's what I think it is.

So, if you were standing in the center node, facing Sniper Wall (The wall capping the end of the ditch where one of the sniper rifles spawns) then Sniper Hill would be to the left of Sniper Wall. ...I think.

Oh, one other thing...

To JStevenson and all the rest of the Insomniacs who made this great game:

CONGRATS ON ONE MILLION COPIES SOLD!!!

M3Freak

Banned
tanod said:
Although, there is something I could use some help with. In Somerset, people say sniper hill. Which corner is sniper hill?? They're all hills in the corners!?

Sniper "hill" is the north end of the map, from the west to the east. Usually, when someone says "there's a guy on sniper hill", you'll hear someone respond "which one?".

It's just a general term warning everyone about that entire end of the map. Well, that's how I've always thought of it.

Pristine_Condition said:
CONGRATS ON ONE MILLION COPIES SOLD!!!

US or WW? Either way congratulations. I think the sequel should wait a few years like bungie did with Halo 2. Allow the first game a few years to build up a huge following.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bearillusion said:
US or WW? Either way congratulations. I think the sequel should wait a few years like bungie did with Halo 2. Allow the first game a few years to build up a huge following.

WW. They announced it in their podcast.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

Kitton coming in and blasting my entrence music was the highlight of the night. I'll be listening to Maroon 5's cd at the meetup tomorrow so I'll be in a full of win mode. Kitton the call to arms pic should be their new cd cover :D

sutdawg

M3Freak said:
Sniper "hill" is the north end of the map, from the west to the east. Usually, when someone says "there's a guy on sniper hill", you'll hear someone respond "which one?".

It's just a general term warning everyone about that entire end of the map. Well, that's how I've always thought of it.

East/West, Left/Right, Maroon 5/Trout... sniper hill is the hill where the Laark spawns in the tree tops above the hill. It is the hill just below the town on the 40 player map.

tanod

when is my burrito
I found this this morning. I bet I could find a better copy in MP3 form if I looked a bit more but this should suffice.

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/blythe/407/ride_of_the_valkyries-wagner.mid

RAWR!

and LOL at that 2000-point melee showdown. In the beginning of the 2nd round, I came up behind a group of 5 or 6 people on the other team wedging in a straight line. Here's what happened:

Stealth kill
Stealth kill
Stealth kill
Stealth kill
Melee Kill
Melee Kill
then I died... in a blaze of glory

60 pts right in a row. I finished first on my team in that match. :D If we do that again with that many people, we need to only go to a 1000 points.

I was laughing the entire time because I was hearing grunting noises coming from all directions or when we would have 6 people running around in a circle trying to hit each other. I was trying to bait the big group into running after me in the hopes that somebody would sneak up on them. No luck. By the end of the match, it was more like Jousting. You would run past people, try and hit them and if you didn't you just kept going. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Too bad JS is on vacation for a while. It would be really nice to know if the maps/patch will make May as originally promised, maybe IGRossMcIntosh can get us some info.

Thursday is the last day of the month. You have 4 days, Insomniac, or else. Go! ;P

sutdawg

tanod said:
Too bad JS is on vacation for a while. It would be really nice to know if the maps/patch will make May as originally promised, maybe IGRossMcIntosh can get us some info.

Thursday is the last day of the month. You have 4 days, Insomniac, or else. Go! ;P

Huh... the months in Iowa are 1 week shorter then the normal world? I'll fix it for you...

Edit: Next Thursday is the last day of the month. You have 11 days, Insomniac, or else... nothing, I will continue to play!

tanod

when is my burrito
sutdawg said:
Huh... the months in Iowa are 1 week shorter then the normal world? I'll fix it for you...

Edit: Next Thursday is the last day of the month. You have 11 days, Insomniac, or else... nothing, I will continue to play!

Sorry, I keep getting my weeks mixed up for some reason. I think I need a vacation.

\/\/\/ Sutdawg, by good team, did you mean the one that only won by 250 points with 10 players while our team had 7. Not to mention that M3 was hiding during the entire match because he had to step away for some reason, so it was actually 6. We only knew he was missing until 2/3 of the way through the match when he says, "You guys are still playing melee?!" :p

sutdawg

tanod said:
If we do that again with that many people, we need to only go to a 1000 points.
l

Agreed!!! The end of the second round started taking forever. At one point we(the good team -- by good I mean, the one without rabid Maroon 5 fans!) tried lining up in a straight line across and running to the otherside of the map.... but a tank got in the way and a few of you got behind us and it was over!
Oh and Greg, Congrats on committing 12 suicides in a match with no weapons! :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
sutdawg said:
Agreed!!! The end of the second round started taking forever. At one point we(the good team -- by good I mean, the one without rabid Maroon 5 fans!) tried lining up in a straight line across and running to the otherside of the map.... but a tank got in the way and a few of you got behind us and it was over!
Oh and Greg, Congrats on committing 12 suicides in a match with no weapons! :lol

That is quite a feat.
Indifferent2.gif

Greg

sutdawg said:
Yes, I take pride in my accomplishments, even if it involves losing points faster than anyone else.

The real question is, WHERE IS MY SUICIDE MEDAL INSOMNIAC?!

I also feel that some bravery award should be granted to me for being the only one left on our team when everyone bailed from the 40-man Manchester Assault. Forget the fact that I was on the phone not paying attention to what was going on, remember me as the man who stood against 20. :lol

tanod said:
\/\/\/ Sutdawg, by good team, did you mean the one that only won by 250 points with 10 players while our team had 7. Not to mention that M3 was hiding during the entire match because he had to step away for some reason, so it was actually 6. We only knew he was missing until 2/3 of the way through the match when he says, "You guys are still playing melee?!" :p

The tears...so, so bitter. :p

Go cry some more about how you guys can't keep your team together. Waaaaaaah!

To my team...the WINNING team, we will always remember The Battle of the Line. Our children and grandchildren will ask us about it and we will simply say "We weren't fighting for a country or a flag. We were fighting...for each other."

...and then we will remember our comrade Greg, a good man, but a man who realized too late that the motto "leave no man behind" doesn't apply to people talking on the phone.

:lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Pristine_Condition said:
...and then we will remember our comrade Greg, a good man, but a man who realized too late that the motto "leave no man behind" doesn't apply to people talking on the phone.

Oh wow! :lol :lol :lol

Aeon712

Pristine_Condition said:

Greg

Pristine_Condition said:

I have absolutely nothing to say to that. :lol

sutdawg

tanod said:

By "Good Team" I simply meant the team without Aeon!:D
Yes you guys did make the second game close. That's because you were a better team because someone quit out... glances at Aeon. :lol

Proc

I just picked this up with my new shiny PS3 last night. My PSN name is Paullenation if you guys wanna add me. I'm going through the campaign now to get used to the controls and guns and such before I venture online.

Aeon712

tanod said:

I would'nt worry about Insomniac missing the date, didn't Stevenson already post that the maps were done all that was left was testing the patch(making sure worldwide servers didn't have lag). Plus I don't think Insomniac has ever missed a target range.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
tanod said:
and LOL at that 2000-point melee showdown. In the beginning of the 2nd round, I came up behind a group of 5 or 6 people on the other team wedging in a straight line. Here's what happened:

Stealth kill
Stealth kill
Stealth kill
Stealth kill
Melee Kill
Melee Kill
then I died... in a blaze of glory

60 pts right in a row. I finished first on my team in that match. :D If we do that again with that many people, we need to only go to a 1000 points.

Yeah the host was a MORAN for making 2000 point rounds :lol

Glad somebody noticed our wall of death. I thought we might be the ones doing the killing but we realized somebody got behind us and tore the wall down like Berlin. You bastard! :)

tanod

when is my burrito
Beatbox said:

Glad somebody noticed our wall of death. I thought we might be the ones doing the killing but we realized somebody got behind us and tore the wall down like Berlin. You bastard! :)

It felt like being in a campy horror movie except I was the bad guy and you were all blissfully unaware as your friends got slaughtered.

Kittonwy

Banned
Beatbox said:

I went like 32-33 in the second round, it was INSANE.
Indifferent2.gif

123rl

I bought the game at PAL launch last March, and played through about 6-7 levels. I liked it but personal circumstances pretty much stopped me playing games for a while. So today I was looking for something to play...and then I saw Resistance. While I wouldn't say I loved its single player mode, I did enjoy what I'd played.

So a few hours and about 16 chapters later, I have a new opinion on the game: I love it :D The single player mode is superb, probably the best FPS game I've ever played - key word: GAME. This feels like a real game, wrapped in an excellent FPS structure. The storyline is fantastic and original, rather than the stereotypical FPS bald meathead rubbish. It's so far above and beyond the flimsy, shoddy-excuse-for-a-story that you find in every other FPS game. Seriously, what was the last FPS to have a story as good - and as well-told - as this? I can't think of any tbh

Such an under-appreciated title, IMO, but I can sort of understand why. Sony have failed at marketing this game in Europe. Nobody knows about it when, in reality, this is the console's killer app and a genuine reason to buy the console

JB1981

I just want to say something to Insomniac.

Your game is the smoothest ****ing online game to ever grace a console. Even if there are things about the game I don't care for (balance issues with certain weapons and chimera), the game is simply without peer in terms of online stability.

Dedicated servers for the mofvckin' win.

Bravo.

Anzu

Banned
JB1981 said:

Your game is the smoothest ****ing online game to ever grace a console. Even if there are things about the game I don't care for (balance issues with certain weapons and chimera), the game is simply without peer in terms of online stability.

Bravo.

Agreed, I've never played an online game as smooth as this one.

Was playing on a 40 player Grimsby game (JP version) and got zero lag. ZERO LAG WTF!? Online gaming did not know what zero lag meant, until Resistance came along. Excellent job there.

Now Insomniac, if you guys are reading this, please please please give us worldwide servers soon. My PS3 is the state-of-the-art dustbuster but if worldwide servers happen, I'll be on there like shit stuck to a shoe.

Treo360

JB1981 said:

Bravo.

I agree too, too bad the SP is lacking for me, but who needs that when the MP is where it's at.

Kittonwy

Banned
Anzu said:

Was playing on a 40 player Grimsby game (JP version) and got zero lag. ZERO LAG WTF!? Online gaming did not know what zero lag meant, until Resistance came along. Excellent job there.

Now Insomniac, if you guys are reading this, please please please give us worldwide servers soon. My PS3 is the state-of-the-art dustbuster but if worldwide servers happen, I'll be on there like shit stuck to a shoe.

It's a matter of when, and it should be soon, like this month.

JB1981

Treo360 said:
I agree too, too bad the SP is lacking for me, but who needs that when the MP is where it's at.
Glad to see you gave the MP another shot. It's rough going if you fly solo, but playing with the GAF clan is a lot of fun.

Playing the Halo 3 beta (which I'm loving) has really driven home (for me) just how solid Resistance's netcode is. And how much I take it for granted.

careksims

JB1981 said:

Bravo.

Bravo indeed! Totally the most smoothest online game I've played. Having that 17-20 man melee duke-fest last night was hilarious and no slowdown on my end. Beautiful.

I can't wait for the patch because since I bought the game I've only played with two members of the Eurogaf clan and that was when we where playing against the Insomniac guys.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
123rl said:
I bought the game at PAL launch last March, and played through about 6-7 levels. I liked it but personal circumstances pretty much stopped me playing games for a while. So today I was looking for something to play...and then I saw Resistance. While I wouldn't say I loved its single player mode, I did enjoy what I'd played.

So a few hours and about 16 chapters later, I have a new opinion on the game: I love it :D The single player mode is superb, probably the best FPS game I've ever played - key word: GAME. This feels like a real game, wrapped in an excellent FPS structure. The storyline is fantastic and original, rather than the stereotypical FPS bald meathead rubbish. It's so far above and beyond the flimsy, shoddy-excuse-for-a-story that you find in every other FPS game. Seriously, what was the last FPS to have a story as good - and as well-told - as this? I can't think of any tbh

Such an under-appreciated title, IMO, but I can sort of understand why. Sony have failed at marketing this game in Europe. Nobody knows about it when, in reality, this is the console's killer app and a genuine reason to buy the console

Are you from the UK by any chance? I've been waiting to see how Brits respond to the game... what the reaction is to this portrayal of an alternate history 1950's England... any interesting details you might have spotted, etc?

Treo360

JB1981 said:
Glad to see you gave the MP another shot. It's rough going if you fly solo, but playing with the GAF clan is a lot of fun.

Playing the Halo 3 beta (which I'm loving) has really driven home (for me) just how solid Resistance's netcode is. And how much I take it for granted.

:lol MP was the only reason why I decided to get negative feedback on ebay. I was going to sell the Ps3 this past weekend (and actually did), however with one of my 360's finally getting the RROD and the other being hogged up by my wife I decided to give it a shot. I liked it and refunded the buyer's money.

Also to sell a system at a lost would be silly, I mean what other Bd players out there cost >$500? and I'm sure I'm bound to buy it again later should the games that would interest me come out.

disc

Banned
Anzu said:

So you love the game for the perceived zero lag and you request worldwide gameplay :)
You might get a bit of lag in your games very very soon.

disc said:
So you love the game for the perceived zero lag and you request worldwide gameplay :)
You might get a bit of lag in your games very very soon.

Insomniac has already tested the game worldwide a loooooong time ago, from their offices to Tokyo, 20-on-20. It was lag-free. When Insomniac says it's lag-free, I believe them.

Six months of unprecedented smoothness online has taught me to not doubt what they say is true.

Seriously, unless you've experienced for yourself over a long period of time just how unbelievably smooth this game is online, even at 20 vs. 20, you just won't be able to comprehend it. I've been playing an average of three nights a week for six months, and even now, whenever you see someone lagging, it is so rare that everyone talks about it, and almost always it is someone obviously cheating, so they get reported.

joesmokey

Finally made the plunge and played multiplayer last night for the first time, it's pretty fun.

I was always too intimidated to go online because I don't know the maps at all and would get my ass kicked because of that, but I just said screw it and played some custom games. The map layouts seem good so far, the only thing I have trouble just starting out with is figuring out in team-based play, if the guy is an enemy or not (sad, but sometimes the usernames aren't enough to distinguish).

What modes do most people play? Do you guys generally do friends-only matches now?

JB1981

joesmokey said:
Finally made the plunge and played multiplayer last night for the first time, it's pretty fun.

I was always too intimidated to go online because I don't know the maps at all and would get my ass kicked because of that, but I just said screw it and played some custom games. The map layouts seem good so far, the only thing I have trouble just starting out with is figuring out in team-based play, if the guy is an enemy or not (sad, but sometimes the usernames aren't enough to distinguish).

What modes do most people play? Do you guys generally do friends-only matches now?

we usually play ranked objective-based games.

human vs. human is a little tough to differentiate. I've always thought Insomniac should do a red vs. blue type deal with human v. human.

Be sure to use your radar.

joesmokey said:

GAF Clan matches on Clan Nights usually work like this: The "early birds" will play mostly, if not all, TDM, until 10 or more people are online. This keeps the matches shorter, so when more members log on, they aren't waiting in the lobby forever. When more than 10 people are online, we usually rotate between TDM and Team Obj. matches, so nobody gets burned out on one or the other. Occasionally, we'll mix in a custom match like last night's craziness, or some Conversion, just to keep it fresh, but most of us prefer ranked play.

Edit: Just noticed JB's response. In addition to his advice, I'd also point out that in Human vs. Human matches, one easy way to distinguish friend from foe is that one team will wear helmets and packs, the other team won't.

Top Bottom