• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Aeon712

joesmokey said:
I was always too intimidated to go online because I don't know the maps at all and would get my ass kicked because of that
Let this post be a message to all new Gaf members that get Resistance and think they aren't good enough to join/play with the clan. No matter how bad you think you are I will make up for it :D But really nobody is gonna yell at you or threaten to kick you out of the clan if your stats aren't good.....unless your name has 712 in it, if he messes up he's out of the clan :(.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Let this post be a message to all new Gaf members that get Resistance and think they aren't good enough to join/play with the clan. No matter how bad you think you are I will make up for it :D But really nobody is gonna yell at you or threaten to kick you out of the clan if your stats aren't good.....unless your name has 712 in it, if he messes up he's out of the clan :(.

If anyone is playing badly I will simply torture him with Maroon 5 "music".
Indifferent2.gif

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Pristine_Condition said:
GAF Clan matches on Clan Nights usually work like this: The "early birds" will play mostly, if not all, TDM, until 10 or more people are online. This keeps the matches shorter, so when more members log on, they aren't waiting in the lobby forever.

As a follow up - If you are a party leader (yeah I know it's usually been me but other people do host at times) you should do Team Death Match for the first hour. Nothing worse than having a party of 4 or 5 playing a long objective game while 5-10 people signed on and are just twiddling their thumbs in the lobby. Especially since the smaller parties often get CTF - which often go the distance and that's a full hour. Once 10 PM EST hits - feel free to start the objective games.

patsu

Aeon712 said:

:lol :lol :lol

I am comtemplating a demotion (lost my Resistance mojo in the Asia KTV lounges :( ).

tanod

when is my burrito
Good games tonight. See you tomorrow night.

New people: You are always welcome. We don't have any requirements. We just meet on certain nights to play together and that's pretty much all we do. So read the clan post that's about a half-page long that gets posted every couple of pages by Kittonwy. See you online.

alterno69

Banned
tanod said:
Good games tonight. See you tomorrow night.

New people: You are always welcome. We don't have any requirements. We just meet on certain nights to play together and that's pretty much all we do. So read the clan post that's about a half-page long that gets posted every couple of pages by Kittonwy. See you online.

GG endeed, I was liquidsnk_mx btw, i want to get in the clan too :)

Varshes

Hey sorry efortlis, got that network error you were talking about and got booted, nice game there, too bad I couldn't finish it. (this is Godai)

123rl

Are you from the UK by any chance? I've been waiting to see how Brits respond to the game... what the reaction is to this portrayal of an alternate history 1950's England.

I'm from the UK (about 40 minutes away from Manchester)

tbh I think it's great to see a game set in this country for once. The first few levels are pretty dull but once it gets to Manchester, and then to Nottingham, it gets so much more interesting. Because it's an alternative history it doesn't matter that the cities don't look like real life, but the attention to detail and fine art design makes it look it could be real.

ROFL said:
any interesting details you might have spotted, etc?

I haven't noticed yet but I'm usually pretty ignorant of things like that the first time I play a game. Things like the maps and narrative (explaining where they go from place A to place B, how long it took etc) sound pretty accurate though. Most of the people I know think it's pretty funny to play through Grimsby though :D It's just about the most uninteresting, mundane, place you could pick, especially compared to places like Manchester, London, York, etc

Aeon712

I bet you guys had a hard time winning last night without me wrecking the other team.
the winning percentage went up didn't it

Anzu

Banned
disc said:
So you love the game for the perceived zero lag and you request worldwide gameplay :)
You might get a bit of lag in your games very very soon.

Keywords in my post: JP version

As in, I'm connecting to servers outside of my country, playing with JAPANESE players (I'm in the UK)...so....

what?

I can't wait for the patch. But whats this I hear about objectives? how does it work? I never thought Resistance had any kind of objectives in MP.

tanod

when is my burrito
Anzu said:
Keywords in my post: JP version

As in, I'm connecting to servers outside of my country, playing with JAPANESE players (I'm in the UK)...so....

what?

I can't wait for the patch. But whats this I hear about objectives? how does it work? I never thought Resistance had any kind of objectives in MP.

You play on the servers that your machine corresponds to. Insomniac have not released the updated netcode for worldwide servers which would have a profound effect on how much latency, if any, you would have now IF you're playing on JPN servers from the UK. From my understanding, the WW servers will be located in the US.

Also, in ranked MP, there is a team objective selection which encompasses 4 modes which are: CTF, meltdown, breach, and assault.

Anzu

Banned
tanod said:
You play on the servers that your machine corresponds to. Insomniac have not released the updated netcode for worldwide servers which would have a profound effect on how much latency, if any, you would have now IF you're playing on JPN servers from the UK. From my understanding, the WW servers will be located in the US.

Also, in ranked MP, there is a team objective selection which encompasses 4 modes which are: CTF, meltdown, breach, and assault.

Yeah console is Japanese, and I get absolutely no lag whatsoever on the JP servers.

I played a few rounds of the team assault, and wasn't really impressed. I guess I was just expecting it to be like UT's assault mode.

tanod

when is my burrito
Anzu said:
Yeah console is Japanese, and I get absolutely no lag whatsoever on the JP servers.

I played a few rounds of the team assault, and wasn't really impressed. I guess I was just expecting it to be like UT's assault mode.

I figure you're playing in unranked because I don't get assault that often when playing team objective by myself. Play in ranked. Unranked is a putrid cesspool of one-hit-kill and infinite rocket launcher games. *BARF*

Of all the team game modes, assault requires the most team work and there is a pretty deliberate way to go about winning an assault match, which doesn't involve everybody running around doing their own thing.

Aeon712

tanod said:
Of all the team game modes, assault requires the most team work and there is a pretty deliberate way to go about winning an assault match, which doesn't involve everybody running around doing their own thing.
Or you can use the preferred method of glitching to win assault. Seriously the last couple of meetups we've had four Assault games and on one they glitched into the wall at Nottingham. The second one they glitched off the map on somerset and a third one they glitched into the wall on Manchester. We only had one true Assault game I believe. Funny how we beat the glitchers though :lol.

alterno69

Banned
I had never played an objective based game mode till yesterday and i have to admit i was pretty much lost the whole time, in the game with the nodes i couldn't even find a way to get to most of them so i just stayed at my spawn point most of the time :lol

I've always been a TD guy :D

ROFL

Hail Britannia
123rl said:
I'm from the UK (about 40 minutes away from Manchester)

< Most of the people I know think it's pretty funny to play through Grimsby though :D It's just about the most uninteresting, mundane, place you could pick, especially compared to places like Manchester, London, York, etc >

Yeah we were well aware of that, it's been a running joke all along and some of the mags had some witty comments to say about it too. Poor ol' Grimsby can never catch a break...
Actually one of our guys went on a trip to the UK specifically for the purpose and got tons of photo reference - the surprising thing about Grimsby was how strict security was there... they treated a bloke with an American accent taking photos for a video game as if he was some kind of potential terrorist or spy and literally told him to leave. Pretty sad the state it's got into over there....
:)

123rl

Do you work for Insomniac then?

Thinking about it again, I think it was a good idea to pick lesser-known places like Grimsby, Nottingham, Somerset etc. When non-British people think of famous places it's usually London, Birmingham, Manchester etc and that's it. I like the idea of setting the game in these small little places. It makes it seem like Insomniac did some research and really looked for the best locations. The storytelling and narrative is one of my favourite parts of the game

Actually one of our guys went on a trip to the UK specifically for the purpose and got tons of photo reference - the surprising thing about Grimsby was how strict security was there... they treated a bloke with an American accent taking photos for a video game as if he was some kind of potential terrorist or spy and literally told him to leave. Pretty sad the state it's got into over there....

lol :D I didn't expect that to happen. From what I've seen most towns and cities in this country are pretty welcoming to tourists

I'm back on Resistance tonight though and, for the first time in a few months, I'm REALLY excited about playing it tonight. A lot of single-player games now just don't keep me interested for very long (it's either boring, full of glitches, or far too predictable) but Resistane is the most polished game I've played in ages. Last thing I did was find the 'Angel' and I think the last level I completed was going through Somerset, opening up those gates

calder

Varshes said:
Hey sorry efortlis, got that network error you were talking about and got booted, nice game there, too bad I couldn't finish it. (this is Godai)
Yeah I got two network disconnects last night. :( Sucks, although the first round I was beyond terrible and we were losing anyway so losing me probably helped the team ;), but the second one was pretty fun. I just quit after the second d/c, I was too annoyed to go again.

Does anyone have a link to the ranks? I cant believe I'm still not an officer, it seems like it'll be forever before I get up to colonel or something, nevermind general. :lol I laughed when I was sergeant or something and assumed I was going to be a lieutenant next... little did I know. ;)

Raist

Banned
I've been starting digging the website (rfomps3.com) a bit, now that I've finished the game (still have to beait it in superhuman mode tho)

Did you guys do, too ?

There's some interesting stuff, really. I like how they worked on the game's background a LOT.

The secret events are very interesting (not the locked ones you unlock with codes taken from some morse). I still can't get the third one >_<

All the background is still full of mysteries. I want more ANSWERS D:

There are a few disturbing things in the events' images too. I wonder if those are hints or answers, or if it's just random stuff to fool you and make you spent hours trying to decipher useless stuff :lol

big thumbs up for insomniac, this website is truly excellent (js if you read this, I love you and your team :lol )

Was wondering something. Does anyone here speak russian and knows what the letter from the august 1926 event means ?

Aeon712

ROFL said:
Yeah we were well aware of that, it's been a running joke all along and some of the mags had some witty comments to say about it too. Poor ol' Grimsby can never catch a break...
WTF you work for Insomniac and I don't think any of us knew, sucks for you though since Stevenson is on vacation and Ross is mis you will get the update questions.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
123rl said:
Do you work for Insomniac then?

Thinking about it again, I think it was a good idea to pick lesser-known places like Grimsby, Nottingham, Somerset etc. When non-British people think of famous places it's usually London, Birmingham, Manchester etc and that's it. I like the idea of setting the game in these small little places. It makes it seem like Insomniac did some research and really looked for the best locations. The storytelling and narrative is one of my favourite parts of the game

lol :D I didn't expect that to happen. From what I've seen most towns and cities in this country are pretty welcoming to tourists

I'm back on Resistance tonight though and, for the first time in a few months, I'm REALLY excited about playing it tonight. A lot of single-player games now just don't keep me interested for very long (it's either boring, full of glitches, or far too predictable) but Resistane is the most polished game I've played in ages. Last thing I did was find the 'Angel' and I think the last level I completed was going through Somerset, opening up those gates

Yeah we actually had 5 Brits working on it, which is probably why it feels reasonably authentic. Nice to see you appreciated that fact that we generally steered away from the obvious landmarks that you almost always see in Hollywood films set in the UK, such as the Houses of Parliament etc, etc... And yes it was a very deliberate decision to depict devastated cities in the North and Midlands, areas which usually get neglected in favour ot London. (I think that's also partly why the tone of the game has been compared with 28 Days Later...)

Raist said:
I've been starting digging the website (rfomps3.com) a bit, now that I've finished the game (still have to beait it in superhuman mode tho)

Did you guys do, too ?

There's some interesting stuff, really. I like how they worked on the game's background a LOT.

The secret events are very interesting (not the locked ones you unlock with codes taken from some morse). I still can't get the third one >_<

All the background is still full of mysteries. I want more ANSWERS D:

There are a few disturbing things in the events' images too. I wonder if those are hints or answers, or if it's just random stuff to fool you and make you spent hours trying to decipher useless stuff :lol

big thumbs up for insomniac, this website is truly excellent (js if you read this, I love you and your team :lol )

Was wondering something. Does anyone here speak russian and knows what the letter from the august 1926 event means ?

Our creative team came up with all the timeline backstory material, Sony put together the website which I agree is very cool. The SCEE website is also excellent...
We had one Russian team member but he's no longer with us so I'm afraid I can't ask him for a translation.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Aeon712 said:
WTF you work for Insomniac and I don't think any of us knew, sucks for you though since Stevenson is on vacation and Ross is mis you will get the update questions.

Not my job. :)
I just post here voluntarily if and when I feel I can contribute a bit of info here, correct or clarify something there...

I'm sure you'll get the announcement when the announcement is ready to be made.

Raist

Banned
ROFL said:
Our creative team came up with all the timeline backstory material, Sony put together the website which I agree is very cool.

The website is nice yeah, but the background is really, really excellent :D

The SCEE website is also excellent...

Wait, what ? There's an official SCEE / RFoM website ? WHERE D:

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Raist said:
The website is nice yeah, but the background is really, really excellent :D

Wait, what ? There's an official SCEE / RFoM website ? WHERE D:

Choose your country:
http://www.resistancefallofman.com/

tanod said:
Is that you, ROLF of Insomniac podcasting fame?!

How in the world did you possibly figure that out??? :)
But I think I'll "go dark" (as they say) on here again for a while.. Don't forget you can always ask questions on www.myresistance.net

Aeon712

I planned on being at the meetup tonight with new Maroon 5 cd in background but now I dunno if I'll make it. And I don't have to be to work till 10am tomorrow argh.

FightyF

Banned
calder said:
Does anyone have a link to the ranks? I cant believe I'm still not an officer, it seems like it'll be forever before I get up to colonel or something, nevermind general. :lol I laughed when I was sergeant or something and assumed I was going to be a lieutenant next... little did I know. ;)

I jumped up the rankings really fast in the beginning before I was with the clan because all I played was Free for all Deathmatch. I found it easier because you shoot at anything that moves (so that split second spent on determining whether they are friend or foe is gone). I found it pretty easy to begin with, because I think it matched me with other newbs. I used to win a lot of rounds with great kill/death ratios. Then as my ranking went up, it got harder and harder, to the point where I would win by a hair. After joining GAF I never really played much of FFA DM...but it really boosted my rankings in such a short span of time.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kitten-in-the-basket1.jpg

^^ GIMME SOMETHIN' TA BELIEVE IN!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

TUESDAY NIGHT!!! DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR TROUTS!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

Can anybody get online right now? I can't. This is the first time ever I haven't been able to connect. Everything else (PSN store, ect.) is working fine.

Looks like myresistance.net is down too.

careksims

Pristine_Condition said:
Can anybody get online right now? I can't. This is the first time ever I haven't been able to connect. Everything else (PSN store, ect.) is working fine.

Looks like myresistance.net is down too.

Hmmm... I'm having the same problem :{

Yeah i'm having the same issue, but honestly i thought it was because I was about to get a warhawk beta invite, or they were updating the psn to 2.0.... *cough*

BobTheFork said:
Yeah i'm having the same issue, but honestly i thought it was because I was about to get a warhawk beta invite, or they were updating the psn to 2.0.... *cough*

A Warhawk invite would certainly soothe the pain I am feeling right now...

Make it happen, Insomniac! :)

Top Bottom