• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Mesijs

Now playing the game again, co-op with my brother. I'm loving it even more! More and more experimenting with all the weapons and different grenades. It's really tons of fun, all the weapons features. Also the vehicles are cool on co-op.

Everybody is talking about MP but SP shouldn't be underestimated.

Madman

If you haven't, buy CaC. Totally worth it.

I don't understand the overeaction to delays. They are very common in the game world and should be something you are used to by now.

You guys do overreact to things very often.

Way to wait until today to tell us the bad news Sony.

Way to treat your customers. What a disaster.

You better get this patch done right though. Start kicking ass for a change, OK Sony? Thanks.

Madman said:
If you haven't, buy CaC. Totally worth it.

I don't understand the overeaction to delays. They are very common in the game world and should be something you are used to by now.

You guys do overreact to things very often.

You need a broader context to understand the level of customer frustration at this point. It's not simply, "it's common" and that's it.

Sony's been late with everything this gen.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6590622&postcount=7650

Part of the frustration is the constant slow-moving state of Sony this gen, and part of it is the "eleventh hour" transmission of news of the delay to the customers. Again.

Madman

Pristine_Condition said:
You need a broader context to understand the level of customer frustration at this point. It's not simply, "it's common" and that's it.
It's common. You guys overreact. That's it. If you can't handle delays, don't follow the business so close.

tanod

when is my burrito
Madman said:
It's common. You guys overreact. That's it. If you can't handle delays, don't follow the business so close.

Pick your favorite game that's not out yet and make it one that you'll be in line buying it on day one. Pretend that the company who makes your game is telling you it's coming out tomorrow.

The next day, the store is about to open and you've been in line since 6PM the previous day. Right before the store should open, the store owner comes out and says "Come back in a week, our electricity isn't working so we can't sell anything."

The next week, you line up again. Right before the store should open, the store owner comes out again and says "Come back in a week, our electricity still isn't working so we can't sell anything. We'll be open again someday. Have a nice day."

jstevenson said:

cry.gif

Madman

tanod said:
Pick your favorite game that's not out yet and make it one that you'll be in line buying it on day one. Pretend that the company who makes your game is telling you it's coming out tomorrow...
I would say "Sorry to hear that, I understand. I'll check again next week." It's called being reasonable and understanding. Something quite a few of you don't seem to believe in.

I hope I never have a car accident with any of you.

How about you not preach to me about how I should or should not feel? OK? Thanks.

You can chose to view your ability to roll over and accept mediocrity as a personal strength, but don't expect everyone else to conform.

Madman

Pristine_Condition said:
How about you not preach to me about how I should or should not feel? OK? Thanks.
Don't tell me what I "need" then. Don't tell me what's what if you can't handle my response.

Madman

Pristine_Condition said:

You can chose to view your ability to roll over and accept mediocrity as a personal strength, but don't expect everyone else to conform.
You can overreact to petty things and accept that as a strength as well. I'll just go back to my mediocrity (or reasonibility, however you look at it) now. :lol

tha_con

Banned
jstevenson said:

Question.

Why is it that Sony must wait until the very last hour to tell us these things? I am entirely sure that they did not 'discover' this error 'today' and then decide to announce it at the very moment they found out.

Why would they lead consumers to believe that the product is 'finished' through there half assed out of touch Threespeach, and then retract these statements at the last moment? Had we known, say, a few days ago, when they probably found the damn bug, that there would be a delay, then it would have been okay. Sony KNOWS, rather, everyone KNOWS that when a bug is found, it cannot be fixed in a matter of minutes and then magically pass through Q&A to release on schedule. So when they found it, why did they not play it safe, delay the patch, say hey, don't get your hopes up so soon, we're working on getting it top notch.

This isn't a rant toward Insomniac Games, rather, I'm simply frustrated in the absolute poor manner in which Sony conducts themselves when it comes to situations like these.

Or perhaps it's just the terrible lack content in general on their Playstation Store? Could be a combination of both. Tell me again, how long did it take to get that awesome 'Voices' trailer for R:FOM on the PSN? Roughly 3 months after it's release?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tha_con said:
Question.

Why is it that Sony must wait until the very last hour to tell us these things? I am entirely sure that they did not 'discover' this error 'today' and then decide to announce it at the very moment they found out.

Why would they lead consumers to believe that the product is 'finished' through there half assed out of touch Threespeach, and then retract these statements at the last moment? Had we known, say, a few days ago, when they probably found the damn bug, that there would be a delay, then it would have been okay. Sony KNOWS, rather, everyone KNOWS that when a bug is found, it cannot be fixed in a matter of minutes and then magically pass through Q&A to release on schedule. So when they found it, why did they not play it safe, delay the patch, say hey, don't get your hopes up so soon, we're working on getting it top notch.

This isn't a rant toward Insomniac Games, rather, I'm simply frustrated in the absolute poor manner in which Sony conducts themselves when it comes to situations like these.

Or perhaps it's just the terrible lack content in general on their Playstation Store? Could be a combination of both. Tell me again, how long did it take to get that awesome 'Voices' trailer for R:FOM on the PSN? Roughly 3 months after it's release?

Well, let me address that.

The bug was not found until yesterday, and there was frantic movement trying to fix. The ultimate decision to push back actually didn't come till late last night, and then Greg wanted to write something up - which then has to go through all the right people at Sony for approval.

So as soon as we knew, the wheels were in motion to get the word out. In a live server environment you have last second things happen. If we had known any earlier, trust me in that we would have worked to get the word out sooner.

And to be fair, the Voices trailer was created after launch. I don't remember the exact release.

tha_con

Banned
jstevenson said:
Well, let me address that.

The bug was not found until yesterday, and there was frantic movement trying to fix. The ultimate decision to push back actually didn't come till late last night, and then Greg wanted to write something up - which then has to go through all the right people at Sony for approval.

So as soon as we knew, the wheels were in motion to get the word out. In a live server environment you have last second things happen. If we had known any earlier, trust me in that we would have worked to get the word out sooner.

And to be fair, the Voices trailer was created after launch. I don't remember the exact release.

Wow...

Honestly, as upset as I was...I feel serene now.

Still, it's a shame that the process must be so painstaking to announce a delay, and I would assume even more so to be at the receiving end of the fan backlash.

Thank you much for the prompt response, as always, and even more so for not losing your cool in light of my rather heated inquiry.

Madman said:
Any chance Sony will appoint someone like you to address issues? I see no reason why they couldn't...

:lol :lol :lol

He doesn't work for Sony, he works for Insomniac, and communicating with the customers is his job at Insomniac.

But this is a Sony thing with the servers. And unfortunately, Insomniac's work is tied to working with Sony's server update, thus the delay on the total package and not just the worldwide server aspect. JS and Insomniac are just filling in the blanks that Sony's lack of timely communication has left for us fans, and for that we should be thankful.

If you mean there should be a guy at Sony doing this, well, they needed that a long time ago.

FightyF

Banned
Delays are part of the software industry.

The only disappointing thing is that we were notified the very day that it was supposed to be out.

So yeah...I'm understanding. I'm cool. Cool as a Cucumber.

Hmm...my password is not working for MyResistance.net. What's going on? I tried to reset it. "Invalid activation code"? HuH? WTH? It's not letting me reset my password!! WHAT TEH FOOOOCK!!?!?? DAMMIT!! DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!!!11

Pacman2k

Ha, if they do hire someone for that, I do not envy their position.

Everyone here wanted it to go out today too. It's a bummer, but these things happen.

On a side note, I'm gonna try to make it to the Insomniac Resistance game this Friday, so if any of you guys want to kill the shit out of me (I suck.), look for "igPacman."

Madman

Pristine_Condition said:
:lol :lol :lol
I meant that last sentence you wrote. I just think a lot of grief could be avoided if a guy that represents them said "Really sorry (insert situation) happened. The details were (insert details). Once again, we're really sorry this happened and I hope you understand the issue. I'll answer as many questions as possible, thanks."

That or some general PR guy that really knows how to kick ass and take names.

Aeon712

jstevenson said:
The bug was not found until yesterday, and there was frantic movement trying to fix.
Funny how these things keep being found out the day before the release. Seriously does no work go into the PSN till Wednesday?

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Madman said:
I meant that last sentence you wrote. I just think a lot of grief could be avoided if a guy that represents them said "Really sorry (insert situation) happened. The details were (insert details). Once again, we're really sorry this happened and I hope you understand the issue. I'll answer as many questions as possible, thanks."

That or some general PR guy that really knows how to kick ass and take names.

It may be something Sony might want to consider, but they may feel it's "not their style" to engage directly with the gaming community in that way... However a lot of people seem to agree with you. The exact same question was raised yesterday in the PSN thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6651912&highlight="major+nelson"#post6651912

Madman

Pacman2k said:
Ha, if they do hire someone for that, I do not envy their position.

On a side note, I'm gonna try to make it to the Insomniac Resistance game this Friday, so if any of you guys want to kill the shit out of me (I suck.), look for "igPacman."
PR isn't hard. Just be extremely confident, a bit over the top, and knowledgable.

What time does the game start?

FightyF

Banned
Madman said:
PR isn't hard. Just be extremely confident, a bit over the top, and knowledgable.

I suffer from narcissism, am quite over the top, and I know everything.

I'm perfect for the job!

sutdawg

It's sucks that it's not coming out today, it sucks that we didn't find out to the last second, I was really looking forward to the new maps. But I'd rather they get it right the first time, then put out a crapy patch(that I have to pay for) and then make us wait for the update.

Ehh Insomniac dudes what happened to the Full Moon show? I haven't seen one for a while.

Edit: Damn that sucks the new maps didn't make it today, but if delaying it means you guys are working out some kinks it's all good. :)

womfalcs3

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Ehh Insomniac dudes what happened to the Full Moon show? I haven't seen one for a while.

Edit: Damn that sucks the new maps didn't make it today, but if delaying it means you guys are working out some kinks it's all good. :)

One is released on the first and third Thursday of every month.

tanod

when is my burrito
Hey JS,

If you guys released the patch notes for Resistance for us to discuss, that would give us something to talk about other than the delay. The patch sounds neat. Can we compromise? It seems like MyResistance.net is getting HAMMERED right now, btw.

patsu

Heh heh... I drove 1.5 hours back home to experience the new maps... and found out that it's not coming out, then another 2 hours back to work area.

Aeon, the production network is a delicate (and heavily locked down) thing. No one touches it unless they absolutely need to. When the network is still young, they will give more time to stablize it (especially if there are caches around). That means less changes. The content tools may not be mature too at this time.

The delay still suck though. Perhaps there are other dependencies we are not aware of (Is there any hidden Home related update in this one ?). Hey Sony, you need to do a better job or put in extra effort temporarily to get ahead of the situation. This means more paranoid, and more mundane (potentially wasted) effort (I know it's tough -- having run one of these things for a few years).

M3Freak

Banned
In more positive news, my K/D difference is down to 324. Almost under 200. If I play tonight, maybe I'll be sub 300 before Friday.

K/D ratio is now at .973.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
In more positive news, my K/D difference is down to 324. Almost under 200. If I play tonight, maybe I'll be sub 300 before Friday.

I'm working that ratio slowly down to an unbeatable .5. Chew on that hosers.
angry.gif

Aeon712

M3Freak said:

Guess the level of competition has come down aye :lol.

Aeon, the production network is a delicate (and heavily locked down) thing. No one touches it unless they absolutely need to. When the network is still young, they will give more time to stablize it (especially if there are caches around). That means less changes. The content tools may not be mature too at this time.
Argh stop being rational when I wanna vent :(.

lynux3

M3Freak said:

Nice.

My K/D ratio is nearly 2. :)

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Don't hate all the snipers fellas.

63rd - Snipes - 3826 Kills
29th - Air Fuel - 494 Kills
68th - Hedgehog - 558 Kills

People love running into my bullets and grenades. :D

tanod

when is my burrito
So since there is a War Hawk patch supposedly coming out today that fixes all the freezing issues, are people with the beta still playing tonight?

Top Bottom