• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

patsu

If that happens, I'm going to put the blame on the Church of England.

Actually, I now feel very special (privileged !) shooting up aliens and enemies in the Cathedral. I might drop by Papa for sightseeing... but then again, my heart lies in the enemy's base or The Mall :p

tanod

when is my burrito
jstevenson said:
Just to be clear, Sony did not specify a release date.

I think most people knew that. I thought you might not come back after last week. There was also that 25+ page thread on MyResistance, last time I saw. Glad to see you guys made it through that.

Does Insomniac have any other reaction to what happened besides "Insomniac was disappointed" or any new information from Sony to share? Change list?

I also really liked what Ted had to say about DLC and I agree with all of it, so feel free to pass that along. I really don't know about episodic content though. There has yet to be a succesful implementation (outside of Sam and Max) of that business model. Who knows if it was profitable for Gametap or not, though.

tanod said:
Before I even read the caption, I knew what it was gonna say. :lol :lol

It could use a Somerset mention. :)

BTW, I challenge Aeon712, m3, and hijolocoroco to GB and kittonwy to a drinking contest. Death - take a shot.

j/k about the drinking one

Yeah, that'd be great, Tanod. Only question is who would fall into a coma first, me or Kittonwy? I'll just go ahead and make my appointment at the hospital now:

"Hello, is this Baylor Hospital? Yes, I'd like to make a reservation for one..."

"Um, well, I'm planning on having alcohol poisoning...about 10:30 or so?"

"Yeah, I have insurance..."

"Great! See you there!"

tanod

when is my burrito
I meant to say GB to you, aeon, and m3. Only kittonwy was the drinking contest. :)
I'm really excited about this weekend. Taking a day off of work Monday so I'll be able to stay up late on Sunday. I'm not holding out for the patch, to be clear.

JS, would you come play with us tonight? It's been a loooong time since you've been on.

You can even GB Sutdawg or Beatbox. They're not very good though, so it might be more fair if you fought them both at the same time. :D

Aeon712

tanod said:
Before I even read the caption, I knew what it was gonna say. :lol :lol

It could use a Somerset mention. :)

BTW, I challenge Aeon712, m3, and hijolocoroco to GB and kittonwy to a drinking contest. Death - take a shot.

j/k about the drinking one
I'm game:)

newsguy

Well, I know there's really only talk about mulitplayer in here by now but I recently got my PS3 and this game and it's ****ing awesome. Since I'm coming from Gears of War I really wasn't impressed at all in the first couple of settings. Now I'm past the part where he kills that telepathic thing in the container and I'm thoroughly impressed and obsessed with the game. at first I remember hear all this "wait till you see the alien architecture bla bla..." and I simply thought who cares. Now that I've seen some of these machines and buildings the game is on a whole new plane. These old war torn towns fused with alien technology are really something to behold.

Anyway, just wanted to give my LTTP love. And btw the physics are insane, oh and those hedgehog grenades!!! Oh and the air/fuel grenades!!!

<3 <3 <3

Ragnarok10

newsguy said:
Well, I know there's really only talk about mulitplayer in here by now but I recently got my PS3 and this game and it's ****ing awesome. Since I'm coming from Gears of War I really wasn't impressed at all in the first couple of settings. Now I'm past the part where he kills that telepathic thing in the container and I'm thoroughly impressed and obsessed with the game. at first I remember hear all this "wait till you see the alien architecture bla bla..." and I simply thought who cares. Now that I've seen some of these machines and buildings the game is on a whole new plane. These old war torn towns fused with alien technology are really something to behold.

Anyway, just wanted to give my LTTP love. And btw the physics are insane, oh and those hedgehog grenades!!! Oh and the air/fuel grenades!!!

<3 <3 <3
Welcome to the Resistance......

newsguy said:

<3 <3 <3

If you think you are impressed now, wait till you get even further in the game. Awesome.

Additional play-throughs are even better, with some even crazier weapons added. You need those weapons though. Hard difficulty is actually better than Normal IMO, and Superhuman is just nuts.

patsu

newsguy said:

<3 <3 <3

If that's the case, you should enjoy the later part of the game and multi-player too.

I LAARKed a guy in Team Dealthmatch (Hangar) last week and one of his hands got stucked somehow at the top of the door frame. So the corpse just hanged lifelessly with one hand after the explosion.

I stood there admiring the scene for a while (from different angle). Good thing no one came at me from behind.

You should check out the clan :)

tanod

when is my burrito
Pristine_Condition said:
If you think you are impressed now, wait till you get even further in the game. Awesome.

Additional play-throughs are even better, with some even crazier weapons added. You need those weapons though. Hard difficulty is actually better than Normal IMO, and Superhuman is just nuts.

I've noticed that I've used all of the extra weapons on my second/third playthrough so far with the exception of the splitter. I still don't know what that is for but the depth of the weapon and combat scenario design continually impresses me.

I don't think I've ever given the game a score but I would definitely consider it at least a 9, because not only is it a solid shooter, it does some things that are just amazing (in SP and MP).

EDIT: Patsu, one time during a DM game in the Mall, my chimera's hand got caught on a railing and was just swinging back and forth from the balcony. It was great! I lawled. :lol

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
tanod said:
I've noticed that I've used all of the extra weapons on my second/third playthrough so far with the exception of the splitter. I still don't know what that is for but the depth of the weapon and combat scenario design continually impresses me.

I don't think I've ever given the game a score but I would definitely consider it at least a 9, because not only is it a solid shooter, it does some things that are just amazing (in SP and MP).

Think of the splitter as the mini missles that come out of the Laark. You can hold them there in front of you until you need to shoot it, and a direct shot with all of them bundled together can usually take out a stalker. Secondary fire "splits" the missles so you have a wider range to hit, but it wont be as strong. It's a good weapon but definitely not top tier.

TONX said:
Think of the splitter as the mini missles that come out of the Laark. You can hold them there in front of you until you need to shoot it, and a direct shot with all of them bundled together can usually take out a stalker. Secondary fire "splits" the missles so you have a wider range to hit, but it wont be as strong. It's a good weapon but definitely not top tier.

It's pretty hard to learn to use effectively, but the splitter is worth it's weight in gold in a few places. I like to think of it as a reverse hedgehog.
In the Chimeran tunnel system on the way to London, in that area when you go up that elevator and suddenly there are 50 or 60 menials all coming at you from all sides, it is awesome. Retreat into one of the alcoves, and split the bullets two or three times until you have a great big grid of death. If you do it right, two or three shots that way, almost all of them will be dead. Saves a lot of hassle.
I understand it works pretty good on Stalkers, which is surprising if true. I know it works good against groups of leapers too, if you have some distance to give you time to set up the splitting.

Aeon712

YaY, just played my first ffa in what felt like forever and it would be somerset argh, 25 players total and I went a nice 24-7-5 ftw :D. No 20 medal though :(. Looking forward to tonight.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
It's pretty hard to learn to use effectively, but the splitter is worth it's weight in gold in a few places. I like to think of it as a reverse hedgehog.
In the Chimeran tunnel system on the way to London, in that area when you go up that elevator and suddenly there are 50 or 60 menials all coming at you from all sides, it is awesome. Retreat into one of the alcoves, and split the bullets two or three times until you have a great big grid of death. If you do it right, two or three shots that way, almost all of them will be dead. Saves a lot of hassle.
I understand it works pretty good on Stalkers, which is surprising if true. I know it works good against groups of leapers too, if you have some distance to give you time to set up the splitting.

Oh the splitter is AWESOME, it's so deadly, I use it when I need to kill things quickly, sometimes I can't afford to wait until I get overwhelmed, especially in superhuman.
gladtomeetya.gif

patsu

Kittonwy said:
Oh the splitter is AWESOME, it's so deadly, I use it when I need to kill things quickly, sometimes I can't afford to wait until I get overwhelmed, especially in superhuman.
gladtomeetya.gif

I tried to kill an Angel with Splitter on Hard. My memory is vague now. I think more than a few shots are needed :( Does a Splitter have a fixed range ? Did my Splitter bullets explode before hitting it ?

tanod said:
For the leapers/crawlers, I used
the arc charger
which I found works REALLY well.

I <3 the A/F grenade. I'll have to try the
the arc charger
though. I just fell in love with that weapon recently in multiplayer.

patsu said:
I tried to kill an Angel with Splitter on Hard. My memory is vague now. I think more than a few shots are needed :( Does a Splitter have a fixed range ? Did my Splitter bullets explode before hitting it ?

Hmmm. never tried it on an Angel. Always stick to the LAARK with those.

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:

I didn't use the splitter on angels as much though, I just tag and frag with the blue bullseye or laark it, I don't remember how many splitter shots I needed to kill an angel.

Maggot9

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I didn't use the splitter on angels as much though, I just tag and frag with the blue bullseye or laark it, I don't remember how many splitter shots I needed to kill an angel.

Pretty sure its 2 shots (with all "bullets" wavering in front)

It's what I use on the Angels..

Kittonwy

Banned
Awesome games tonight, it seems I'm slightly better with the bullseye. It was fun to watch Aeon and Tanod duke it out one-on-one.
Indifferent2.gif

careksims

Kittonwy said:
Awesome games tonight, it seems I'm slightly better with the bullseye. It was fun to watch Aeon and Tanod duke it out one-on-one.
Indifferent2.gif

Oh yes and they couldn't hear our.... commentating :) and the Jsteveson and Aeon chatter.

Oh yeah, Kittonwy... "where's south?" That made my night.

patsu

Maggot9 said:
Pretty sure its 2 shots (with all "bullets" wavering in front)

It's what I use on the Angels..

Oh shit... either my memory is non-existing or my aim s*ck big time. I gotta try SP again on Super-human. I keep procastinating it (whenever I remember The Mall and the stalkers).

kuYuri

I just finally beat the Resistance campaign for the first time earlier today. Soon enough, I'll jump into online multiplayer, so send me friend requests if you've got room. :)

tanod

when is my burrito
careksims said:
Oh yes and they couldn't hear our.... commentating :) and the Jsteveson and Aeon chatter.

That sounds interesting. Tell me more. It was fun how Aeon and I could hear each other too.
I want to see Efertlis and Sutdawg go head to head.

I'm finally a "real" Supreme Commander. It looks like AgentX is coming up on his 3rd pip soon too. So, I bought this game on December 23rd so it took me 6 months minus 10 days to get to be a full SC. I'm also getting close to 1000 matches played and a couple other medals. MP just keeps on giving and giving.

Thanks for coming out tonight, JS. Appreciate it.

Patsu, I think it was you who asked this before or were wondering but JS said that the maps WILL be available in ranked AND custom games.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
careksims said:

Oh yeah, Kittonwy... "where's south?" That made my night.

The soundtrack was awesome... when we played Bicycle by Queen and I was screaming along... heh, the non GAFfers in the squad were like, "WTF?"

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tanod said:
That sounds interesting. Tell me more. It was fun how Aeon and I could hear each other too.

I'm finally a "real" Supreme Commander. It looks like AgentX is coming up on his 3rd pip soon too. So, I bought this game on December 23rd so it took me 6 months minus 10 days to get to be a full SC. I'm also getting close to 1000 matches played and a couple other medals. MP just keeps on giving and giving.

Yeah, my bad for not being on more... I've been so busy with the podcast, work, and travel... add LOTRO to the mix and I'm screwed.

But I'll try to be on more.

tanod

when is my burrito
jstevenson said:
The soundtrack was awesome... when we played Bicycle by Queen and I was screaming along... heh, the non GAFfers in the squad were like, "WTF?"

<3 Queen - Queen and Metallica was my high school soundtrack. I also like Maroon 5 and a lot of hard/fast rock/metal. I have extreme tastes in music, can ya tell?

careksims

tanod said:

Patsu, I think it was you who asked this before or were wondering but JS said that the maps WILL be available in ranked AND custom games.

Ohhhh we just kept saying a lot of things like "Oh no! Tanod needs at least one kill!" and "can you hear us? Can they hear us? Wait?! They don't?" A lot of ohhs and ahhs. Lot of laughing. I wanted to say "Look out! Behind you!" Like a horror flick. Good times. I'd like to see a Aeon vs Sutdawg match.

Kudos to Jstevenson for coming on. Really enjoyed that. It felt like I was listening to a Full Moon podcast gone wrong.

jstevenson said:

I think Kittonwy was showing off. It was totally like:

4tgy2w5.jpg

"Hay girl, im gonna play my sweet record collection 4 u!!!"

:lol

ChryZ

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
D:

Damn, must really quit work or sleep. Sounds like I missed a LOT of fun.

So Aeon and Tanod really duelled each other? Who won?

silks

I've played through SP on Normal, and now I've become enamored with MP. This game is GREAT, I repeat, GREAT. Anybody that dismissed it because it "isn't Gears of War" need to be beat with a lead pipe.

Am I nuts, or can you not use weapons like the Splitter in multiplayer until you've opened them in the singleplayer game? I ask because a dude rampaged through my nice, fun little 3-player deathmatch with what I now realize is the Splitter (he was stopping his LAARK missles in midair, and then they were swirling around...I'd never seen it before), and all I could say was "how the hell is he doing that? I can't do that!"

It sucked because all three of us were evenly matched, and then this bozo comes through and gets twice as many kills as we do in a third of the time. It was a massacre.

- silks

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
silks said:
I've played through SP on Normal, and now I've become enamored with MP. This game is GREAT, I repeat, GREAT. Anybody that dismissed it because it "isn't Gears of War" need to be beat with a lead pipe.

Am I nuts, or can you not use weapons like the Splitter in multiplayer until you've opened them in the singleplayer game? I ask because a dude rampaged through my nice, fun little 3-player deathmatch with what I now realize is the Splitter (he was stopping his LAARK missles in midair, and then they were swirling around...I'd never seen it before), and all I could say was "how the hell is he doing that? I can't do that!"

It sucked because all three of us were evenly matched, and then this bozo comes through and gets twice as many kills as we do in a third of the time. It was a massacre.

- silks

The Laark has three fire modes. The familiar primary one.

You also can fire it with primary and hold in the secondary fire to "park the Laark", hitting primary once again and holding in the secondary will release heat seaking mini rockets. Once they are fired you can re-aim the Laark and release the secondary to allow the main rocket to continue on.

The third firing mode allows you to shoot the Laark into something and THEN release a bunch of heat seeking mini-rockets. To do this you hold in primary the entire time and just tap the secondary once (while holding in the primary until it hits something) at any point before the rocket hits something.

TONX

jstevenson said:

:lol Glad you liked it. I was playing music through AcidIce's headset because he was "too drunk" to talk. He needs to stop coming over so i can play this game with you guys. I was there in spirit, though :)

Aeon712

jstevenson said:
That was fun...

Love ya Aeon! :D

Last night was all kinds of awesome though that girl really did sound high, I was like wtf is she saying. Stevenson had to identify what match type we were playing to her :lol.

I dunno what was more fun, playing against Tanod, dealing with that one guy constant messages of a 1v1 and me being too scared so he'll do a 2v2. Or when Stevenson showed up and everyone told me to be nice and not talk:lol

3 Queen - Queen and Metallica was my high school soundtrack. I also like Maroon 5 and a lot of hard/fast rock/metal. I have extreme tastes in music, can ya tell?
Least your friends don't call you a white boy cause you listen to Maroon 5, Hinder, Breaking Benjamin etc :(.

tanod

when is my burrito
Aeon712 said:

Last night was all kinds of awesome though that girl really did sound high, I was like wtf is she saying. Stevenson had to identify what match type we were playing to her :lol.

I dunno what was more fun, playing against Tanod, dealing with that one guy constant messages of a 1v1 and me being too scared so he'll do a 2v2. Or when Stevenson showed up and everyone told me to be nice and not talk:lol

Least your friends don't call you a white boy cause you listen to Maroon 5, Hinder, Breaking Benjamin etc :(.

For all the shit I give you, you deserved to beat me. I'm just glad I was able to pick up one kill. :D

The match started off really bad for me. I was gonna shower you with some dragon-y goodness and I stepped behind a barrier before I shot and started myself on fire, then I got blown up by a grenade. I'm yelling "SHIT, I'm on fire, I'm on fire, I'm on fire." I was laughing so hard, my wife woke up and told me to keep it down. :)

Breaking Benjamin is one of my favorite bands. Their second CD (the one before their latest) is their best one, IMO.

JS, BTW: Did you bring home a dev kit to test a build of the E3 demo or the final game?

Aeon712

jstevenson said:
Yeah, my bad for not being on more... I've been so busy with the podcast, work, and travel... add LOTRO to the mix and I'm screwed.

But I'll try to be on more.
Can really tellyou haven't been on much when you said Oh Aeon is cocky, I was gonna say hells yea I am but I was still in no talk mode :(.
careksims said:
Ohhhh we just kept saying a lot of things like "Oh no! Tanod needs at least one kill!" and "can you hear us? Can they hear us? Wait?! They don't?" A lot of ohhs and ahhs. Lot of laughing. I wanted to say "Look out! Behind you!" Like a horror flick.
That would've had me cracking up, out of all the spectators did anyone cheer for me atleast once :lol.
tanod said:
The match started off really bad for me. I was gonna shower you with some dragon-y goodness and I stepped behind a barrier before I shot and started myself on fire, then I got blown up by a grenade. I'm yelling "SHIT, I'm on fire, I'm on fire, I'm on fire." I was laughing so hard, my wife woke up and told me to keep it down. :)
I was cracking up when you started chanting die by the fire, die by the fire when I was on fire after a kill.

careksims

Aeon712 said:
That would've had me cracking up, out of all the spectators did anyone cheer for me atleast once :lol.

Oh we did cheer for you too. Going through your eyes it was like tiger stalking his prey. Poor Tanod!

Pretty awesome stuff there.

TONX

Soooo close to my Arc Charger + Up Your Arsenal medal! 5 more! Hopefully i can get it tonight. Here's the poster for the people that didnt see it through PSN.

Resistancetournament.jpg

Top Bottom