• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

patsu

Yeah... in that case, you should be better than some (most or all ?) of them. I remember playing against a few of them in more hectic TDMs (e.g., Bus Yard). They seem less scary. I still demand a Stalker though.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
patsu said:
Yeah... in that case, you should be better than some (most or all ?) of them. I remember playing against a few of them in more hectic TDMs (e.g., Bus Yard). They seem less scary. I still demand a Stalker though.

They had Wario in their party too (at Manchester) and he has the 7th most snipes. In the somerset game we got smoked in a week or two ago, they had the guy with the 20th most snipes and a ton more in the top 100. Not much you can do againt such stacked parties.

patsu

Hm... I think if we form a sniper party in Somerset like they do, all our sniper ranking will jump too. This is not to say that they are lousy snipers, but I believe team effort plays a part here. They'd be able to snipe in every Somerset and Cathedral game to accumulate that kind of stats (What is their sniping accuracy ?). I am not a good sniper myself. GAF is a much more casual set up.

Nonetheless, FTW is certainly a strong and organized team. They usually finish amongst the top too. When I am on their side, my kills increase drastically too. Now you're making me miss RFOM. Watching good players play RFOM can be inspiring sometimes. There are some crazy people out there. Even under heavy sniper fire in Somerset, I have seen people break rank (Top scorer and far fewer death).

FightyF

Banned
Beatbox said:
I like the thought but to be honest they really were a lot better than us individually and as a team. I'm an above average sniper but got out sniped by 6 or 7 different guys at Manchester last night. The only strategy that may have made that game less of a slaughterhouse would have been to all out rush the cathedral rooftop. That's where they did a ton of their sniping/grenading from. I think it's okay to accept defeat from the top 3 or 4 clans every now and then.

I found a pretty nice sniping area where they can't detect you, but I suck at sniping. I was able to get 3 kills and then ran out of ammo (goes to show that I suck at sniping) and when I went for more and got killed. They then took control of that side of the map and I couldn't get there again. I'll PM you a picture sometime (meaning like 2 weeks time :p).

I'll go over my issues with TDM as was requested by Tanod...

Disclaimer: The following it meant to be constructive criticism towards the TDM gametype. I'm not saying it's boring, I'm not saying that it's completely flawed, but IMO I dislike some aspects of it and IMO I think it's can't be compared to other TDM modes in other games that have been used for tournament purposes. Feel free to ask for clarification...

My first issue has to do with identifying the enemy. In tournament games like UT, Halo, and Quake, the opposition is extremely easy to ID. Heck, in UT there's light sprites on the characters. Resistance is going for a gritty "realistic" look, and so characters don't stand out that much from the background. I don't think this is a big flaw in most cases, but it's worth noting as a difference.

IDing does become a bigger issue when you play Chimera versus Chimera. Chimera vs. Human is obviously much better as you are fighting something that looks completely different, and Human vs. Human isn't so bad because on team wears helmets and backpacks (and both teams also have radar that lets them know where friendlies and enemies are, for the most part). But C vs C has a few issues. Firstly, I've been playing for months and I haven't noticed a difference in the skins for each team. Secondly, sometimes your team-mate names don't appear over their heads because they are being viewed through an archway, window, or doorway and this prevents the name from showing (it's just an issue with the algorithm that chooses when or when not to show handles). Thirdly, when looking at things with "rage mode" on, the opposing team's "heat signature" looks exactly like yours. Understandably this is to be consistent with the Resistance universe. Why would a chimera see another one any differently? But for the sake of gameplay, I think the orange team should be shown with an orange pattern and blue with blue. Some people are probably fine with this whole issue of taking a moment to ID the enemy properly. Perhaps to them it adds another dimension to the gameplay as it tests the timing those who can figure out if the other is an enemy. I've started shooting at everyone, and once I find out they are friendly I stop, and it has benefited me. After all, in most cases friendly fire isn't on.

Another issue I have is with the maps. I think there needs to be more landmarks and sign-age so that team communication could be a bit smoother and easier. For example, the Church is a great landmark in Manchester (I believe). It's been used as a general landmark used for giving directions (ie. "left of the church"). But there are so many buildings that one could enter, and the maps are so large (great feature IMO) it's hard to set up meet up points, or ID where someone is shooting from. This could be fixed if some of the roads actually had signs, say something like "Chester Rd" on one side of the map and "Upper Brook St" on the other. What if some of the buildings had signage, so you could tell your team that someone's sniping from "Dominion Tavern" rather than "that building on the left middle side of the map". I don't think something flashy or outright apparent would be proper, but rather details left in there for enthusiasts (who play this game for hundreds of hours) to note and use in a practical sense. Note that the objective maps don't really suffer as the nodes and their unique names become landmarks themselves. "West of Papa", "North of Kilo"...they work well. But in TDM you don't have the nodes and thus it's a bit harder to communicate.

I find TDM in Resistance to be fun, but in my opinion these are things that Res 2 should address. Some people may not see them as issues at all, so whether or not Insomniac would look at such concerns seriously is probably up to what most people thing about these things. But for me, I don't really compare Resistance TDM to other games such as UT, Quake, Halo. This isn't necessarily a major cause for concern, I think the objective modes are some of the best in any FPS I've played (and I love teamplay FPS games such as TF, FLF, Q2 CTF, etc)...it's just my opinion.

Note that I don't really have an issue with some big things such as weapon balance, or map design. I think both the weapon balance and map design suite deathmatch (and subsequently Team Deathmatch), and I don't see any issues with either.

ChryZ

I wasn't complaining about my k/d ratio last night, we had a job to do ... but damn, I dropped from 1.82 to 1.8 within one night :(

Beer and heavy Resistance, a lethal combination.

womfalcs3

Banned
ChryZ said:
I wasn't complaining about my k/d ratio last night, we had a job to do ... but damn, I dropped from 1.82 to 1.8 within one night :(

Beer and heavy Resistance, a lethal combination.

I was playing USS Lexington 13 vs. 13 and for the majority of the second round, all my team left but 1.

I was scared thinking I'd get slaughtered badly. Thankfully, I managed to have 8 more kills than deaths to end with 43-35 for the round.

I'm still at 1.162.

Just letting you guys know, that English Church vs Resistance got some nice press in my country.

In Polish version, there are gangs fighting each other in the Cathedral, and you become seargant who needs to kill hundreds of bandits.

I love it.

Aeon712

But C vs C has a few issues. Firstly, I've been playing for months and I haven't noticed a difference in the skins for each team.
One team is Hybrids while the other is Steelheads, just identify a partner or enemy in the beginning and focus on their heads the rest of the round. The skins don't alternate between rounds.

281x211.jpg

81488-1.jpg

FightyF

Banned
Aeon712 said:
One team is Hybrids while the other is Steelheads, just identify a partner or enemy in the beginning and focus on their heads the rest of the round. The skins don't alternate between rounds.

281x211.jpg

81488-1.jpg

Actually when I started typing...I was like, "there HAS to be some difference as there was between humans", and so I worded it the way I did...I seriously never noticed. Don't know why.

But that's good to hear, I'll start looking for that. It also looks like there's a difference from behind as well! Perfect.

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I guess we sort of redeemed ourselves when M3 joined and won back a few after getting our asses kicked in that assault and meltdown game. Somebody was yelling about a sniper but I don't know where he was.
gladtomeetya.gif

I am zee saviour.

Last night was a blast: I wish I could have got on earlier than I did, though.

BTW, my K/D percentage is now at .982. Jumped from .979 in one day (I played with Sutdawg earlier in the day, and we kicked ass).

M3Freak

Banned
Cedeo said:
I live in the UK, can I still join the GAF Clan?

Yes - send kaching a privae message.

However, unless you have a North American PS3, you won't be able to play with us, until the new patch comes out.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
I am zee saviour.

Last night was a blast: I wish I could have got on earlier than I did, though.

BTW, my K/D percentage is now at .982. Jumped from .979 in one day (I played with Sutdawg earlier in the day, and we kicked ass).

Yes you were, you turned the tide of VITOLY in our favour.

I think I was +1 and +2 for a couple of TDMs and then one of those obj games I had 51 deaths, I don't even bother with K/D other than trying to make it go DOWN instead of UP, I would rather have the team win than worry about the K/D at this point.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
12_clk_739.jpg

^^ KITTEN VS KITTEN? HOW DO YOU TELL THEM APART???!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!!

Does anyone have a mic? Can you hear me now?
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

patsu

jstevenson said:
Done... just press L4.

JS

Thanks JS. It worked. I could drive my Stalker over the snipers' corpses a few times. That was such a therapy.

XXOO

Aeon712 said:

Thanks for the tip ! I didn't realize this. Usually I just shoot at anything that moves. When I hear groans, I know I'm shooting at the real deal. Unfortunately, when I'm with more than 1 Chimera, it gets harder to tell who moaned. Mass confusion and hilarity ensued.

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:
Thanks JS. It worked. I could drive my Stalker over the snipers' corpses a few times. That was such a therapy.

XXOO

Thanks for the tip ! I didn't realize this. Usually I just shoot at anything that moves. When I hear groans, I know I'm shooting at the real deal. Unfortunately, when I'm with more than 1 Chimera, it gets harder to tell who moaned. Mass confusion and hilarity ensued.

Usually I just blow up the barrelz next to them and it would kill them BOTH for massive moanage.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

Ha ha ! I hate them next to Sniper Wall. They explode too late when I needed them... and when they do go off, I am usually standing right next to them (and the enemies have been taken care of).

Sometimes I wonder whether Barrels are the third race in Resistance. I got owned by them so many times [perhaps a little lesser than Aeon, I might add].

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Has anyone else noticed with the Bullseye that sometimes when you connect with it, it shuts off right away.

Its been happening to me alot lately. Last night i hit someone like 3 times direct hit, and as soon as it connects, it shuts off. Sooo annoying.

Kittonwy

Banned
TONX said:
Has anyone else noticed with the Bullseye that sometimes when you connect with it, it shuts off right away.

Its been happening to me alot lately. Last night i hit someone like 3 times direct hit, and as soon as it connects, it shuts off. Sooo annoying.

I think for me I tend to take my time with the tag more now. Sometimes when I just try too hard to tag I accidentally turn it off, it's pretty much who tags first, wins.

womfalcs3

Banned
TONX said:

I don't know if this applies, but you can shake off a tag by shaking the controller (just like when you're on fire).

Could the enemy be doing that?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
womfalcs3 said:
I don't know if this applies, but you can shake off a tag by shaking the controller (just like when you're on fire).

Could the enemy be doing that?

No, it usually takes a second or two to shake it off. I mean exactly as soon as i shoot him with the bullseye. Like it connects, and as soon as i see the laser showing that its connected, its gone.

Big-E

TONX said:

I have been noticing this too. It usually only happens once every other night though for me.

GrayFoxPL

patsu said:
Sometimes I wonder whether Barrels are the third race in Resistance. I got owned by them so many times [perhaps a little lesser than Aeon, I might add].

I love Barry El's :D. Often in firefight I focus on barrel without looking at enemy and wait till he gets in range :lol.

INsomaniac - More 3 times more barrels in R2, please. .

Btw: Am I the only time who uses Bullseye tag less then 10% of the time? I just got quite good in manual headshoting I win 1 on 1 most of the time. The thing is when tag misses the sweet delay is long enough to give me advantage. I think people are relaying on tagging way too much.

Of course when I get tagged from behind I'm screwed. :lol

Had good session today. Custom neverending match snipers only + endless granades on cathetral map rised my sniper skills by 500% (was always shit with a sniper). Thanks to that I got 5 sniper headshots in a row on ship map (I must finally remeber the names ) :)

Is it just me or in ranked matches in europe pretty much no one ever uses mic?

AZ Greg

Got the game yesterday and played through about 1/3 of the campaign. Ready to play some online games with GAF. My PSN is AZ_Greg. I should be around tonight!

Kittonwy

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
I love Barry El's :D. Often in firefight I focus on barrel without looking at enemy and wait till he gets in range :lol.

INsomaniac - More 3 times more barrels in R2, please. .

Amen to that.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

TONX said:
No, it usually takes a second or two to shake it off. I mean exactly as soon as i shoot him with the bullseye. Like it connects, and as soon as i see the laser showing that its connected, its gone.
Tags have a limited range, I notice mine leaving when they hit some people right away that are running away. Although tags refuse to stick on people that are on Sniper Wall
angry.gif
Btw: Am I the only time who uses Bullseye tag less then 10% of the time? I just got quite good in manual headshoting I win 1 on 1 most of the time. The thing is when tag misses the sweet delay is long enough to give me advantage. I think people are relaying on tagging way too much.
Same, I rarly use it from the front, if you miss then you are dead if they have any type of skill.
Got the game yesterday and played through about 1/3 of the campaign. Ready to play some online games with GAF. My PSN is AZ_Greg. I should be around tonight!
Welcome to the fun, if you wanna join us then read the call to arms message that Kitton posted to get invited to the clan, Also would be good to add a couple of us to your in game friends list so that we see that you are on tonight.

Aeon712

Don't forget to register for the tournament tonight at 12:01 EST, I am gonna hate myself for staying up that late tomorrow when I wake up at 5 but it'll be worth it :). Any other 3 man Gaf teams joining like Tonx/Acidice/?. Would be cool to get matched up against another Gaf team.

Weapon Options:
L209 LAARK must be disabled
Infinite Ammo: No
Spawn with Random Weapons: Off
Weapon Damage Modifier: 100%
Argh, someone teach me to shotgun whore...they outlawed the wrong weapon :(.

sutdawg

GrayFoxPL said:

Ibarely ever tag too.... I only tag when people are running away. Oh and lately I've been enjoying tagging people when they respawn in front of me(nothing is more annoying then getting tagged as you spawn! :lol ).

sutdawg said:
Ibarely ever tag too.... I only tag when people are running away. Oh and lately I've been enjoying tagging people when they respawn in front of me(nothing is more annoying then getting tagged as you spawn! :lol ).

Oh sure there is. My "favorite" is having someone stick an A/F grenade to me, or cook one off right next to me, when I'm spawning. Oh, what a joy.

Spooks

Ok im starting to get really pissed off here. For the past 10 minutes I have been trying to get online and I keep getting Network Connection Error after Network Connection Error after Network Connection Error. Never in my history of owning this game have I had this much trouble with getting online. I just can not stay online. Anyone happen to know what could be causing this?

All I wanted to do was play some RFoM online :'(

FightyF

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I would rather have the team win than worry about the K/D at this point.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah, that's my excuse too...heheh.

Seriously though, when I was playing without the mic and couldn't hear you guys, I was playing lone soldier in those meltdown matches and just walked into their bases and killed a few guys and did some damage to the node. It takes their attention away from the other nodes because the more damage you do, the more guys they think invaded their base. So it was a suicide mission that didn't capture the node, but forces them to spawn there rather than squad spawn.

Aeon712

Oh heck yea I'm ready to play, got my Maroon 5 cd back tonight from my sister. Listening to it as we speak .

And yea my k/d takes a hit in team objectives due to node suicides, it's my lowest k/d at 1.175 :(

careksims

Aeon712 said:
Oh heck yea I'm ready to play, got my Maroon 5 cd back tonight from my sister. Listening to it as we speak .

And yea my k/d takes a hit in team objectives due to node suicides, it's my lowest k/d at 1.175 :(

That's weird it takes a hit. I figured you get more since the action isn't as frantic.

Kittonwy

Banned
Spooks said:
Ok im starting to get really pissed off here. For the past 10 minutes I have been trying to get online and I keep getting Network Connection Error after Network Connection Error after Network Connection Error. Never in my history of owning this game have I had this much trouble with getting online. I just can not stay online. Anyone happen to know what could be causing this?

All I wanted to do was play some RFoM online :'(

Did you try resetting your modem or router? That's all I know in terms of solutions.

Somebody help him plz.

Indifferent2.gif

hey guys. I'm going to jump on in a few. I'm busy trying to whip up a thread about the resistance tourney. This thread is very long and i wanted a thread we could use just to disscuss whos joining, the match ups, strategies, and results. I plan on play every night until the first round starts and i want to help people train. I really like the rule set they are using and i think lots of us have a better chance than we think.

Big-E

BobTheFork said:
hey guys. I'm going to jump on in a few. I'm busy trying to whip up a thread about the resistance tourney. This thread is very long and i wanted a thread we could use just to disscuss whos joining, the match ups, strategies, and results. I plan on play every night until the first round starts and i want to help people train. I really like the rule set they are using and i think lots of us have a better chance than we think.

Sounds like a good idea. Id be willing to help people train but alas I can not join the tourney due to me having hoser status.

Greg

AZ Greg said:
What the hell...

GREEN BAY IS MY TEAM!
...and GREG IS MY NAME! :lol

Spooks

Kittonwy said:
Did you try resetting your modem or router? That's all I know in terms of solutions.

Somebody help him plz.

Indifferent2.gif
I fixed it :lol . No idea why it kept messing up though :eek: weirdest thing.

Kittonwy

Banned
Great job on BOTH of those rounds of that meltdown game coming back from 2-3 and holding the nodes even though we got overwhelmed at papa.
gladtomeetya.gif

FightyF

Banned
angel, what I did to get my H350 headset going was, well, I'll explain the whole situation because I don't know what step caused it to work.

I had my H350 plugged to the wall charged overnight. I had my PS3 on folding for a while. I had to plug in my wired connection and set my IP and all that jazz. Linked the headset successfully to the PS3. Tried to test it in audio settings, it wasn't working. Then tried to re-couple it with the PS3, and it wouldn't work. Tried turning the headset on and off and tried scanning again, and again, still wouldn't work. So I turn off the headset, and turn off the PS3. I plug in the HS to the wall again. I unplug it. I turn on the PS3, I am able to recouple it, and I go into audio settings to test it and it works. And then it worked in-game.

I have a feeling that if I have my PS3 off, I make sure the headest is off, and plug it to the wall to "reset" it, and then turn on the PS3, scan for the headset, find it and test it, it should work.

It's a lengthy workaround but it will work until I find a Socom USB headset.

Top Bottom