• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Heck yea, I have both albums loaded up and ready to play on random, Jer knows he's slowly warming up to Maroon 5 :lol.

Don't worry, we'll convert them to fans of Maroon 5 eventually. Songs come and go on my Resistance playlist (Rick got kicked off recently and so did Lennon) but Maroon 5 have managed to stay, that's 4 songs out of 9 and it's very competitive.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

Now that my PS3 is with me, I started playing again since Monday. I can only play short sessions each time (like 10 minutes). My project is 1 month behind because of bad business decisions (not my fault !). Every one from the CEO to the janitor are crying.

cat-rawr.gif

Someone needs to add the rage mode fire to this Chimera.

FightyF

Banned
Firewire keep in mind that it's 9:30 his timezone. I always hopped in around that time in my own timezone, and that's when most people would leave.

It's 5:30 where I'm at...compare that to my post's timestamp, I'll be on in 2 hours. Hopefully. Whenever I say I'll be on, something comes up, and whenever I don't I'm usually on. :p

Aeon712

patsu said:
Now that my PS3 is with me, I started playing again since Monday. I can only play short sessions each time (like 10 minutes). My project is 1 month behind because of bad business decisions (not my fault !). Every one from the CEO to the janitor are crying.

cat-rawr.gif

Someone needs to add the rage mode fire to this Chimera.
Dude that thing is scarier then any Chimera, seriously just look at it.

I thought unranked games would be a good way to learn the ropes, but next time I play I'll give ranked ones a shot. One thing I need to definently pick up is a blue-tooth headset, that was one of the reasons I initially avoided ranked games in the first place.

Aeon712

Getting on now, if you guys are in a PSN chat I better get an invite even if it means kicking out Loco :lol. If not in chat then going straight to game.

Aeon712 said:
Getting on now, if you guys are in a PSN chat I better get an invite even if it means kicking out Loco :lol. If not in chat then going straight to game.

I was going to thank you for giving me my 10-kill medal props...then I scroll down and see this total betrayal.

You. That barrel. Stand over there.

Anyway, GAF Clan...GAME ON!

FredFish

Thanks for the games tonight. Any tips on strafing? I don't mind getting blindsided by rockets or shot dead out of the blue from snipers but it seems that every time I try to circle strafe someone I die in half a second. Crouch? Jump? Zig-zag maniacally? I have fun but would like to contribute more than Deaths to the team totals ;)

djkimothy

FredFish said:
Thanks for the games tonight. Any tips on strafing? I don't mind getting blindsided by rockets or shot dead out of the blue from snipers but it seems that every time I try to circle strafe someone I die in half a second. Crouch? Jump? Zig-zag maniacally? I have fun but would like to contribute more than Deaths to the team totals ;)

LOL, I find that you just have to get the headshot before the other person. I would suggest to vary your foot work.

jjasper

Saw this on Yahoo and I figured I would post it in here:

Crater Could Solve 1908 Tunguska Meteor Mystery

Dave Mosher
Staff Writer
SPACE.com Tue Jun 26, 6:46 AM ET

In late June of 1908, a fireball exploded above the remote Russian forests of Tunguska, Siberia, flattening more than 800 square miles of trees. Researchers think a meteor was responsible for the devastation, but neither its fragments nor any impact craters have been discovered.

Astronomers have been left to guess whether the object was an asteroid or a comet, and figuring out what it was would allow better modeling of potential future calamities.

Italian researchers now think they've found a smoking gun: The 164-foot-deep Lake Cheko, located just 5 miles northwest of the epicenter of destruction.

"When we looked at the bottom of the lake, we measured seismic waves reflecting off of something," said Giuseppe Longo, a physicist at the University of Bologna in Italy and co-author of the study. "Nobody has found this before. We can only explain that and the shape of the lake as a low-velocity impact crater."

Should the team turn up conclusive evidence of an asteroid or comet on a later expedition, when they obtain a deeper core sample beneath the lake, remaining mysteries surrounding the Tunguska event may be solved.

The findings are detailed in this month's online version of the journal Terra Nova.

Submerged evidence

During a 1999 expedition, Longo's team didn't plan to investigate Lake Cheko as an impact crater, but rather to look for meteoroid dust in its submerged sediments. While sonar-scanning the lake's topography, they were struck by its cone-like features.

"Expeditions in the 1960s concluded the lake was not an impact crater, but their technologies were limited," Longo said. With the advent of better sonar and computer technologies, he explained, the lake took shape.

Going a step further, Longo's team dove to the bottom and took 6-foot core samples, revealing fresh mud-like sediment on top of "chaotic deposits" beneath. Still, Longo explained the samples are inconclusive of a meteorite impact.

"To really find out if this is an impact crater," Long said, "we need a core sample 10 meters (33 feet) into the bottom" in order to investigate a spot where the team detected a "reflecting" anomaly with their seismic instruments. They think this could be where the ground was compacted by an impact or where part of the meteorite itself lays: The object, if found, could be more than 30 feet in diameter and weigh almost 1,700 tons-the weight of about 42 fully-loaded semi-trailers.

Caution for now

From a UFO crash to a wandering black hole, wild (and wildly unsupported) explanations for the Tunguska event have been proposed. Alan Harris, a planetary scientist at the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colorado, said the proposal by Longo's team isn't one of them.

"I was impressed by their work and I don't think it's something you can wave off," said Harris, who was not involved in the research.

Longo and his team "are among the recognized authorities on Tunguska" in the world, Harris told SPACE.com. "It would be thrilling to dig up chunks of the meteor body, if they can manage to. It would lay the question to rest whether or not Tunguska was a comet or asteroid."

Some researchers, however, are less confident in the team's conclusions.

"We know from the entry physics that the largest and most energetic objects penetrate deepest," said David Morrison, an astronomer with NASA's Ames Research Center. That only a fragment of the main explosion reached the ground and made a relatively small crater, without creating a larger main crater, seems contradictory to Morrison.

Harris agreed that physics could work against Longo's explanation, but did note that similar events-with impact craters-have been documented all over the world.

"In 1947, the Russian Sikhote-Alin meteorite created 100 small craters. Some were 20 meters (66 feet) across," Harris said. A site in Poland also exists, he explained, where a large meteor exploded and created a series of small lakes. "If the fragment was traveling slowly enough, there's actually a good chance (Longo's team) will unearth some meteorite material," Harris said.

Longo's team plans to return to Lake Cheko next summer, close to the 100th anniversary of the Tunguska Event. "This is important work because we can make better conclusions about how cosmic bodies impact the Earth, and what they're made of," Longo said. "And it could help us find ways to protect our planet from future impacts of this kind."

Visit SPACE.com and explore our huge collection of Space Pictures, Space Videos, Space Image of the Day, Hot Topics, Top 10s, Multimedia, Trivia, Voting and Amazing Images. Follow the latest developments in the search for life in our universe in our SETI: Search for Life section. Join the community, sign up for our free daily email newsletter, listen to our Podcasts, check out our RSS feeds and other Reader Favorites today!

tanod

when is my burrito
djkimothy said:
Resistance 2? :D

Hey, what happened to smiley? ---> :)

Weird about the " :) "

Insomniac created the alternate history from an amalgam of real historical events and one of them is the Tunguska incident.

patsu

Aeon712 said:
Dude that thing is scarier then any Chimera, seriously just look at it.

[Pick up Canadian kitty and sneer]

Wahahaha ! It doesn't even have a shotgun or LAARK. Damn legs are too short to catch up with me too. :D

[Got pee'ed in the face]

BTW, Kittonwy... back where I came from, beer = cat piss.

Anyway, My top 10 wish list for Resistance (2?)
==============================
* Let me ram a Stalker into Sniper Wall crowded with FarEye whores. My L4 button broke the last time JS allowed me to try.
* Instead of rifle butt in melee, bitch slap snipers to death (like in 3 Stooges)
* Allow multiple players to fight against 1 (or more) large enemies. It doesn't have to be story based.
* Gimme a Zelda grappling hook. I can assassinate people from the bottom of tree tops (Does that make sense ?), or climb up cliffs and platforms.

There is no #5... oh and Playstation Home integration please ! Have a ROFM clan room.

Proc

woot @ canadian resistance players. I'm from stouffville lol.

I messaged kaching about joining the clan, but I guess i'll have to just hop on and join you for a game or two. I have a new bluetooth headset so it should be great.

Add me to your friends and send me an invite sometime, my PSN name is: Paullenation

Firewire

Banned
Proc said:
woot @ canadian resistance players. I'm from stouffville lol.

I messaged kaching about joining the clan, but I guess i'll have to just hop on and join you for a game or two. I have a new bluetooth headset so it should be great.

Add me to your friends and send me an invite sometime, my PSN name is: Paullenation

Hey, what headset did you buy? And do you have to re-sync it every time?

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:
[Pick up Canadian kitty and sneer]

Wahahaha ! It doesn't even have a shotgun or LAARK. Damn legs are too short to catch up with me too. :D

[Got pee'ed in the face]

BTW, Kittonwy... back where I came from, beer = cat piss.

Sweet, ain't it?
Indifferent2.gif

What do you drink then? Wine?
hem.gif

I don't know why but beer calms me down and my aim isn't as jittery when I'm drunk, although towards the end of the night last night I kept wondering which direction I was going.
Indifferent2.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
I have a request for Resistance 1

How about a quicker grenade animation? Also, how come if I die in the middle of said "grenade animation" do I not drop the live grenade at my feet???

I think it takes way too long when you need it and you really should be able to throw a grenade right next to your corpse if you're about to die in a fire fight.

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Sweet, ain't it?
Indifferent2.gif

hem.gif

I don't know why but beer calms me down and my aim isn't as jittery when I'm drunk, although towards the end of the night last night I kept wondering which direction I was going.
Indifferent2.gif

:lol
What happened to you last night.
I sent a friends request but your friends list was full, so I just sent a message.
Did you get to drunk! :lol

Proc

Firewire said:
Hey, what headset did you buy? And do you have to re-sync it every time?

I use the BlueAnt x3 micro. I got a great deal on Ebay. I only had to map it once and the ps3 recognized it right away. Great quality sound to. I highly reccomend it. The only gripe i have is that it blinks blue, which can get annoying in the dark. Here's a pic:

blueant_X3micro.jpg

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:
:lol
What happened to you last night.
I sent a friends request but your friends list was full, so I just sent a message.
Did you get to drunk! :lol

I think he meant for you to send him a message in Resistance.

Firewire

Banned
tanod said:
I think he meant for you to send him a message in Resistance.

Yeah I did that to...no worries, I had a bad night on Resistance. So many people got head shots on me last night, it wasn't pretty! Moved on to some RR7, only to be beaten by crazy Japanese guys!:lol

patsu

Kittonwy said:
Sweet, ain't it?
Indifferent2.gif

hem.gif

Beer too :D ... plus Coke and tea. I have not tried to mix them (yet).

Indifferent2.gif

Heh heh... I have a friend who's like this. Take care man !

As for direction, Manchester is just too confusing. I can never remember the relative position of the 2 tall buldings, plus our bases are identical. There were a few times I helped enemies to defend their base, or attack my own base.

Mmmkay

Looks like we're getting global servers, the patch, and the map pack this week. Just saw this on the EU PS forums:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=105890
Just logged onto Resistance FoM and it comes up with a notice saying the servers will be down on the 29/06 from 2pm GMT for maintenance. There expected to be back up later in the afternoon, once they are back up they will include the update and downloadable content map packs. Finally.

The Jer

tanod said:
I have a request for Resistance 1

How about a quicker grenade animation? Also, how come if I die in the middle of said "grenade animation" do I not drop the live grenade at my feet???

I think it takes way too long when you need it and you really should be able to throw a grenade right next to your corpse if you're about to die in a fire fight.
I disagree with faster grenade throwing.
When you throw the grenade it takes some time before you can take a shot and it takes quite a bit of time before you can throw another grenade.
If this didn't happen, the grenade would be become over-powered.
It would be far too great a weapon and this would cause problems.
....and likely lots of complaining.

It keeps you from using a grenade in the middle of a firefight (or, at least, makes it a bad idea).
It would suck to be on the recieving end of someone who constantly pumps out grenades in the middle of a firefight.

I don't care either way about what happens to the grenade when you die, though.

jda1977

You all forced my hand early. Well after weeks of reading this thread and seeing what sounds like a good game and good GAF community, I went and bought a ps3 and Resistance. My account name is xXNostradamusXx and would like to play a game with you all. Have not gotten a chance to sit down and put the game in, so I should probably play the single player (would like to at least stand a chance). Please add me so I can finally stop reading about the GAF games and actually participate in them !!!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
jda1977 said:
You all forced my hand early. Well after weeks of reading this thread and seeing what sounds like a good game and good GAF community, I went and bought a ps3 and Resistance. My account name is xXNostradamusXx and would like to play a game with you all. Have not gotten a chance to sit down and put the game in, so I should probably play the single player (would like to at least stand a chance). Please add me so I can finally stop reading about the GAF games and actually participate in them !!!

From the Insomniac in the clan (as much as I can participate at least) --- welcome. Glad to have ya :).

Wollan

PSU.com reporting on the same:

Insomniac was one of the few developers to join the delay band wagon with its anticipated Resistance: Fall of Man update being pushed back multiple times. And for the past few weeks, a release date hasn't been disclosed. However, the wait may be over.

Several members of the Myresistance.net community are reporting an in-game announcement regarding the world wide update. As of now the announcement has only been sent out to Europe users.

The announcement states: The UK servers will have a downtime period that will begin at 2:30am (UK time) and will last throughout the day on June 29th. Furthermore, the worldwide servers and map packs will then be available when the server is back online.

Insomniac has yet to announce details of the map pack and worldwide online play update for other territories. Stay with PSU as this story unfolds.

http://www.psu.com/node/11843

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kittonwy said:
This better be true-true.
Indifferent2.gif

Hopefully it's not like the Motorstorm patch in which the Euro version got the patch a week ahead of the other territories...

Killthee said:
Hopefully it's not like the Motorstorm patch in which the Euro version got the patch a week ahead of the other territories...
i would hope they dont get a GLOBAL SERVER patch a week early, what good would it do.

Snah

Banned
Is there an official thread for Resistance 2 suggestions?

Resistance really was the most enjoyable single player FPS since Halo 1, IMHO...and the multiplayer is only second to the Halo series. I think they could improve the single player campaign significantly with a few key improvements:

1. Level design diversity. Resistance had a lot of gray, gray/blue, and dull orange areas. This may be the art style they were going for, but I'd prefer a slightly more vibrant and varied color scheme. Make the levels look unique...the entire Nottingham section of the game with the alien architecture mixed in with UK's landscape was brilliant. Viper's Nest/Conduits in particular. It just looked really stunning with the amount of geometry and detail in the levels. Same goes for the Tower section at the end. There were some levels that seemed a tad too dull and similar looking. Otherwise, one of the best looking games I've seen, and pretty impressive for a launch title.

2. More enemy diversity. Most of the game had you fighting the same typical enemies. I'd like to see a bit more unique enemy types, and perhaps enemies with huge scale and/or bosses.

3. Main Character: Really generic. I don't think that Insomniac could have even made a more generic character for their series. Bald space marine? Check. Typical WW2 clothing? Check. Really seemed uninspired. I think the sequel should opt for a more unique and prominent lead with a better supporting cast of characters. Halo is pretty strong in this respect.

4. More vehicle support.

Otherwise, I can't wait for Resistance 2.

careksims

Aeon712 said:
Great now I need to decide if I want to get the totally awesome Stardust or the delayed maps. Somehow I knew they were gonna cockblock either Stardust or Sigma.

Why not get all of them >_>?

M3Freak

Banned
I have wedding to go to on Saturday morning, and I don't know if I'll have time Friday night to play. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

careksims

M3Freak said:
I have wedding to go to on Saturday morning, and I don't know if I'll have time Friday night to play. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

But we're going to be jumping down shaaaafts! Oh I know they're not free but I'm planning on get Stardust and the Maps ^^;;

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
"They’ll be shutting the multiplayer servers down on Friday from 0200 to 1800 (UK time), allowing us to update them with the new maps & global server patch… this means that when you play Resistance from now on, you’ll have the option to play against everyone else in the world (not just Europe, which is how its been since launch)…. you’ll also be able to buy the additional map pack (£2.99) from the in-game menu screen, as well as from the PSN store… making things more seamless."

hold me!

tanod

when is my burrito
I hear that JS is holding the maps until this thread gets longer than the Gears of War thread. Tricky bastard.

So, if the European price is 2.99 pounds, shouldn't that mean that the maps should cost closer to $6, especially since everything has been cheaper in the US? Or, is it $8 because the marketing people thinks that's how much we want them.

Greg

Aeon712 said:
Notice my name, also I hope these maps are completely awesome and aren't loaded with shotgun spawns.
I'm sure you'll be pissed at the map with the underground tunnel system - you know there will be shotguns all over. :lol

Top Bottom