• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
djkimothy said:
I feel like a wimp. I found normal to be challenging. :(

It is challenging at first, but once you understand the shooting methods of the chimera, you'll know exactly when to straf and fire. the thing that sucks about hard and superhuman is that they change it up completely, and add twice as many enemies, and everything does x2 damage. :X

djkimothy

Well, I'm just not as good at FPS as I used to be, as can be seen from my stats. I'm below 1.0 on my k/d ratio as of last night! :(

I found it hard to contain 3 or 4 chimeras in an open room. Yah, I'm that bad.

Oh well, I take pride that I finished MGS 2 and 3 on hard mode. ;) Will soon do it for MGS4.

Greg

I ran through all the difficulty modes / got all the skill points in the first week PS3 was out (Hey, it was launch week, there was nothing else to play...kind of like now). It was ridiculous how fast you remember the layouts and spawns in the maps when you play the game so many times back to back - I would seriously sprint through the whole thing. :lol

ChryZ

Especially in SuperHuman you need to pick the right weapon for the job, then you'll rarely need a second attempt. It's almost like those 80s action movies, cocky gun wielding at its best. Playing through SuperHuman was lots of fun.

Aeon712

TONX said:
It is challenging at first, but once you understand the shooting methods of the chimera, you'll know exactly when to straf and fire. the thing that sucks about hard and superhuman is that they change it up completely, and add twice as many enemies, and everything does x2 damage. :X
And if you clear a room out from a far more enemies spawn in there. I noticed this when I was stuck on the part at the Conversion center where you have the high ground and there is about 3 bomb things that you can shoot before jumping down taking out the Chimera. Once you jump down 2 more hybrids spawn and a bunch of menials. Didn't happen when I just jumped down.

tanod

when is my burrito
djkimothy said:
I feel like a wimp. I found normal to be challenging. :(

My first playthrough was on easy. Playing it on superhuman is my 4th playthrough of the game. The level design seems much better and more deliberate as you move up in difficulty. Like I'm using things for cover and approaching combat scenarios from completely different angles because I HAVE to, and I'm seeing things I never noticed before. It's a lot of fun.

Also, it's neat to see where they pull some of the multiplayer levels from. I never noticed them before, since they are SO different.

djkimothy

tanod said:
My first playthrough was on easy. Playing it on superhuman is my 4th playthrough of the game. The level design seems much better and more deliberate as you move up in difficulty. Like I'm using things for cover and approaching combat scenarios from completely different angles because I HAVE to. It's a lot of fun.

Well, i plan to eventually play it through 1 above "normal" just to practice my aim and stuff.

I still have problems aiming online as I'm hitting peoples chest most of the times and it takes forever to take them down. I also feel that auto aim doesn't work for me as I'm off the mark most of the time.

tanod

when is my burrito
djkimothy said:
Well, i plan to eventually play it through 1 above "normal" just to practice my aim and stuff.

I still have problems aiming online as I'm hitting peoples chest most of the times and it takes forever to take them down. I also feel that auto aim doesn't work for me as I'm off the mark most of the time.

My K/D is and has been since I started about .8. It hasn't changed much at all. I'm not great at shooters, but I attribute my relatively consistent K/D stat to good, or at least fair, matchmaking.

careksims

djkimothy said:

haha! At least you played the SP above normal! I haven't really touched it! It's all MP for me with this game. :lol

djkimothy

careksims said:
haha! At least you played the SP above normal! I haven't really touched it! It's all MP for me with this game. :lol

Heh, that's what it was for me. Then someone mentioned a medal you get for finishing the game. So I had to have that. :D

Plus I was intrigued with the story as I approached the end.

So far though, my time is split between Oblivion and MP Resistance.

The Jer

Greg said:
anyone want to do some 1v1? haven't practiced at all :lol

I'd really like to start playing more 1v1 games.
But, I won't be near my Playstation till Wednesday night.
So, I will most likely be on Thursday for some 1v1 with whoever else wants to play.

FredFish

Well the Rage tip worked to improve my Chimera play. Sadly, my Human skills have taken a turn for the worse. I've gotten Corporal rank but that seems to have been largely counter-productive as my K/D ratio has...taken a turn for the worse. Granted I haven't played an online FPS since UT (note to Insomniac: please patch in a razor gun complete with "Decapitation" sound bite) but it's a little dispiriting to be getting worse seemingly as I play more. Ah well, it's still a lot of fun even if I do spend most of my time now respawning :lol

Greg, Jer. I'm off work for the nxxt few days. send me a psn pm and ill jump on.
About superhuman. I thought i had read that it didn't actually have MORE enemies in it; what tI thought was they increased the damage they took and gave out, but more importantly they changed HOW they spawn in and where. So after you play thru hard mode, you wont be able to use what you memorized for superhuman, and that just by changing where they spawn in they made it way harder.

sutdawg

BobTheFork said:
awww. man i by the time i got home, only sutdawn, efart and jer were on. we played a few dm's and went to bed.

It could have been worse, you could have logged on and Aeon712 was in the lobby!:lol

Edit:
Speaking of Aeon, where have you gone the past few nights? I hope you shipped yourself off to some RFOM training facility! The tournament is only weeks away and we need you there to practice.
Correction: we need YOU to practice. :D

sutdawg said:
It could have been worse, you could have logged on and Aeon712 was in the lobby!:lol
lol geez your guys are relentless. Don't go messing with the team chemistry too much there Kobe.

So have you guys practiced as a team yet? done any 3v3, and come up with any strats for specific maps?

sutdawg

BobTheFork said:
lol geez your guys are relentless. Don't go messing with the team chemistry too much there Kobe.

So have you guys practiced as a team yet? done any 3v3, and come up with any strats for specific maps?

We tried practicing that one night, you remember? Efertlis stood in the middle shooting in circles. Other then that one match no( PhillyGAF is slacking on practice and strats).

Don't tell Aeon but I'm just messing with him, so he'll get angry and hopefully take it out on our opponents.

sutdawg said:
We tried practicing that one night, you remember? Efertlis stood in the middle shooting in circles. Other then that one match no( PhillyGAF is slacking on practice and strats).

Don't tell Aeon but I'm just messing with him, so he'll get angry and hopefully take it out on our opponents.
Yeah but i though Efertlis only did that because we sucked too bad to be opponents. i mean, you guys still won with just you and aeon, and we only got points because efertlis didn't fight back.

Seriously, they seed next wednesday; not saying you must plan or fail, just saying that you WILL be coming up against some good teams from the big clans, and they will have a plan. Thats why i've tried so hard to practice being a sniper and 40mm whore. the only guys i can really beat on in practice games were the ones that fought like i do, run and gun. I realized that luck of the seed or not - I am, without question, going to have to fight someone who is better than i am. If i'm going to beat guys that ARE better than me, i have to come up with ideas and new ways of playing. Be ready

Aeon712

sutdawg said:
Speaking of Aeon, where have you gone the past few nights? I hope you shipped yourself off to some RFOM training facility!
See what had happened was....and then....followed up with....and then kaboom
I'll be there at 9pm when you get back on

Bob didn't wanna help me train, he's all about himself :(

sutdawg

Aeon712 said:
See what had happened was....and then....followed up with....and then kaboom
I'll be there at 9pm when you get back on

Bob didn't wanna help me train, he's all about himself :(

It'll probably be closer to 9:30pm but I'm sure Efertlis will be on around 9:00pm.
That is very selfish of you Bob! :lol

Aeon may not be in shape to play tonight. Chris Benoit died : (
HEY i just read that lol. I asked and you said you were playing team objective with acidice, so i asked JFK to help. By the Way, He is the ****ing minnisota Fats of grenades. He killed me sooo many times with them. One of them, he threw up a staircase, off the wall, off the CEILING and dead center in the face

I've played a few rounds of Resistance online in deathmatch and team deathmatch. I quit out of the first two games I jumped into because I just kept spawning and almost automatically dying, I stuck around for a while on the third which I think was the Manchester level.

Maybe I've just played games like Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike too much, but I found just randomly spawning all over the map kind of disorienting. Especially since there's no mini-map, I had to stop and pull up a map which covered the entire center of my screen. Constantly playing in one-hit-kill games didn't help with the learning curve. I walked away with the impression that the map I played was like the Battlefield 1942's, only without any vehicles to get around in.

I got a few kills, mainly sniping, earned some medals and logged off. It was okay I suppose, but nothing mind blowing. Given that it's free to play I'll likely give it a few more shots but it doesn't look like it'll be the game to replace my current online addiction, CS, or sell me on online console gaming.

Maybe I just need to try an objective-centric mode in the game.

Aeon712

jaundicejuice said:
I've played a few rounds of Resistance online in deathmatch and team deathmatch. I quit out of the first two games I jumped into because I just kept spawning and almost automatically dying, I stuck around for a while on the third which I think was the Manchester level.

Maybe I've just played games like Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike too much, but I found just randomly spawning all over the map kind of disorienting. Especially since there's no mini-map, I had to stop and pull up a map which covered the entire center of my screen. Constantly playing in one-hit-kill games didn't help with the learning curve. I walked away with the impression that the map I played was like the Battlefield 1942's, only without any vehicles to get around in.

I got a few kills, mainly sniping, earned some medals and logged off. It was okay I suppose, but nothing mind blowing. Given that it's free to play I'll likely give it a few more shots but it doesn't look like it'll be the game to replace my current online addiction, CS, or sell me on online console gaming.

Judging this game by playing crappy unranked games with their stupid modifiers is ummm well yea. Play ranked games if you don't want to die in one hit and if you want a mini map. Seriously only unranked games I have are the Gaf wars that we have.

jaundicejuice said:

Play ranked games. That'll solve most of the problems you are describing. I only play custom matches with friends.

EDIT: Beaten.

Anyway, you'll get familiar with the layout of each map pretty quickly, and once you do, you'll figure out that they are all pretty well landmarked out in such a way that you can usually ID where you are the second you blink in. So the random spawning thing you are frustrated with now won't be a problem once you get a bit more experience with the maps.

Regardless, Ranked Play is the way to go, even when you are just learning.

If you want to get familiar with all the maps without jumping into a ranked game, you can set up your own private custom match on any map you like, just for you to explore around in and figure out the lay of the land as well as which weapons spawn where. I did this when I was trying to figure out how certain weapons worked for attacking nodes, and discovered some cool stuff.

Wasn't on Mon. night because of the Benoit stuff and picking the GF up from the airport. Will see you guys in the Clan tonight.

Aeon712

Pristine_Condition said:
Wasn't on Mon. night because of the Benoit stuff and picking the GF up from the airport. Will see you guys in the Clan tonight.
Benoit :'-(

Also never gave you proper Gaf Cred(Better then street cred) for getting your 10 kill medal a ouple nights back.

djkimothy

OK, so I found out why I kept sucking during the GAF clan meet ups. I think it's your bloody ranks! :(

I played a few FFA and TD games the other night on my own and was consistently in the top 3, even had #1 in a team death match. I was like, WTF? Then I thought to myself, most of gaf are 5 star generals with 3 pips. So if Resistance matches with other people, it should usually be with people of simialr rank. Me? I'm a 2 bar guy. Bottom of the barrel. So it matches me with other beginners when I'm not with gaf...

In summary, I'm forced to play with the elite cause of your ranks. I guess I'll just practice with the noobs to hone in on my mad skillz in the off times. ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

Stop playing unranked games with random people would be my advice because you're not really getting the community experience, there's no point in that when we have a clan here, the whole point in having a clan is so that you don't have to go into random unranked games alone and get disinterested because you don't know anyone and after a few games you log off. I pretty much play ranked games in a clan party exclusively, it's a completely different experience because you know the people you're going into the game with.

patsu

jaundicejuice said:

If you want to learn the maps, you can also go into offline multiplayer mode to navigate selected maps alone. I did that on my very first night. But if you got lost in the large Manchester map... that's normal (for me anyway).

Kittonwy

Banned
kittens2023.jpg

^^ YOU LOOK SOBER, HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO PLAY WELL TONIGHT???!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

TUESDAY NIGHT!!!

O' LORD OF GAME BATTLE, BEER ME STRENGTH AND GRANT US VITOLY!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

Aeon712

Oh yea Clan night tonight, I'll be there after missing like 75% of the last couple of weeks. And oh yes there will be Chimeran Blood.

Greg

TONX said:
anyone down to play midday let me know. im setting up a party now.
Damnit, I was just on - now I'm off to play tennis for a few hours.

Hopefully I'll be on later tonight. If I am on, it will be really late whenever the group dies down because to be honest, I hate team objective games. It isn't because of the clan, but I never have fun with most of the objective maps.

sutdawg

Aeon712 said:
Oh yea Clan night tonight, I'll be there after missing like 75% of the last couple of weeks. And oh yes there will be Chimeran Blood.

Yes there will be ...... your Chimeran Blood! :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Firewire said:
Hey if you ever need another grunt let me know. My clan never plays anymore.

Come play tonight, we can always use more people. I'll be on about 9:30, just send me or one of the guys a buddy invite so they can get you into the party. It's a lot of fun and a lot of Maroon 5.
Indifferent2.gif

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Come play tonight, we can always use more people. I'll be on about 9:30, just send me or one of the guys a buddy invite so they can get you into the party. It's a lot of fun and a lot of Maroon 5.
Indifferent2.gif

Great, I'll look for you around 9:30. I take it your PSN name is Kittonwy?

Aeon712

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
Heck yea, I have both albums loaded up and ready to play on random, Jer knows he's slowly warming up to Maroon 5 :lol.

sutdawg said:
Yes there will be ...... your Chimeran Blood!
Sad but true :(

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Yep. Expect drunken hijinx since I just took back my old 28 pack for a new one.
Indifferent2.gif

Man thanx, I forgot to put beer in the fridge. Hey my PSN user name is Spartan666, won't be able to talk though I broke my headset last night in Motorstorm.:lol

Top Bottom