• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
The Jer said:
I'm wondering if the new match-making update is what was keeping y'alls party out of ranked matches. Particularly if the game cancellation is based (or partially based) on the ranks (or average rank) of players on a team. When we play together as a party, we ussually end up as a team of all Supreme Commanders (or close to it). It's very rare to find another team of 15-20 players who are all Supreme Commanders, unless we end up playing another clan or party.

I don't think so. I made it into three or four of the games where the rest of our clan got booted. It was me vs 12 or 13 people but it didn't start due to the balancing issues. Anyways the other teams ranks were all well belove average with only one or two supreme commanders if any.

FightyF

Banned
I didn't notice any differences in speed...of either the Chimera or with the reticle.

Then again, I did increase my aiming speed recently, like 2 weeks ago, and I'm still getting used to it. But I had no probs sniping or shooting today.

I wonder if the lag has to do with international players.

GrayFoxPL

Fight for Freeform said:
I wonder if the lag has to do with international players.

You are playing people on the other side of Atlantic, what do you think?

It was funny first time playing bunch of Americans, Japanese and Europeans together - When I tried to pick up shotgun and nothing happened I was like "WTF?" and then after 1.5 sec it switched - "OK, now this is something new" - thought :lol.

The game plays differently now. I just feel it. I'm not about lag, there's just something different about gameplay. It's like someone stole your turtle and switched it for similar. You might not notice the difference but you have a feeling: "There's something different about it...".

The aim assist magnet seems lot stronger now.

I think Insomaniac tweaked this and other aspects to compensate for lag on international play. They did the best they could I think. The game plays differently but that doesn't mean it isn't great anymore.

And it's funny feeling to your ass kicked by someone with Japanese TAG.

"WTF? I thought Japanese can't play FPS!" :lol

I have no problem getting online, no errors, but I'm on simple internet connection sharing.

Maybe you guys need to reset your router settings or something.

Raist

Banned
Played a couple of games, and I honestly didn't notice any lag. Except some times, the name of people I killed only popped on the screen like 5secs after I acutally killed them. But that's about it. And it used to happen on the EU Server also.

So I dunno, maybe the EU serv was already a bit laggy :lol
Doubt it tho.

Nah the most annoying thing is the difficulty to get ingame. And joining ranked games seems to be a bit broken in groups also, now.

They'll fix it.

gogogow

Lag also depends on the internet connection of the players, maybe more EU players have slower connection. Cuz, I do see a lot of EU players being laggy.

Is there a way to know if someone has a headset when you're in the party menu?
Also I had trouble hearing other players, is there a way to turn up the volume?

the scheduled matches at 6PM PST, isn't that 2AM GMT at night in Europe?

Raist

Banned
gogogow said:
Is there a way to know if someone has a headset when you're in the party menu?
I don't think so.

Also I had trouble hearing other players, is there a way to turn up the volume?

On your headset ? :p
I don't think there's an option for hearing volume. Just for mic.

the scheduled matches at 6PM PST, isn't that 2AM GMT at night in Europe?

6PM PST = 9PM EST = 2AM GMT = 3AM CET :/

ChryZ

Worst clan night ever! T_T

JS or any of the fellow Insominac gaffers: any chances for a patch of the patch? (Check page 176 for details)

Dazzyman

Well Im finally going to be able to join the GAF clan after waiting months. Just bought the map pack as well and it worked fine using a UK account with the JPN machine/game. Might be about couple of nights this week (Im on respite holiday so just got back from one week but going away again shortly) so please add Dazzyman again!!!

Aeon712

supermackem said:
Yeah they need to fix that, if this was a map pack on live you bought and you couldnt use it in ranked games with friends and you werent told that before hand there would be uproar and rightly so. I feel like i have been robbed of my money as ranked party play is the only mode i play yet i cant use the maps i paid for in that mode.:(
As awesome as the maps are, If I was told that I couldn't use them on Gaf nights for our ranked games I wouldn't have bothered buying them. I only ffa the odd occasion I sign on and there isn't a normal gaf member on or when I get on late for clan night and I have to wait in the lobby.

BTW can we please have ranked Chimera vs Chimera back, 1 single update has ruined the Resistance awesomeness of old.

M3Freak

Banned
Last night theJer sent me a messages asking why everyone was playing Super Stardust and why no one was playing Resistance. It was certainly weird - we all just quit out.

It took us three hours to play three ranked TD games, I think. Wow.

Assuming Insomniac is interested:

1. If we had three more players than the other side, the game wouldn't start - that's bullshit.

It's unbalanced, yes, but I hardly call that a massive advantage. We've lost matches or had very challenging rounds with when we've had a couple more players than the other side.

2. The sensitivity settings have been invisibly sped up, making the game harder to play for many of us.

Mine is set to 4, but it felt like it was 5, or possibly 6. I had to back it down to 3 in order to play. Why the hell was this done and players not warned?

3. The game appears to be running faster.

Not a bad thing, but it contributed to the "something is different" feeling that I think many of us have had since the patch.

4. We tried turning off Worldwide Servers and it did let us play a game, but since the patch turns Worldwide Servers on by default, we had massive problems finding games on just the North American servers.

5. We had problems joining custom games (Join Game Error).

6. Efertlistdotcom had problems creating custom games.

7. Efertlisdotcom and I both joined games where we were the only party members to make it - everyone else got kicked. (we were party leaders each time this happened).

There's probably more, but that's what we ran into last night.

Man, the new maps are so sweet, but the game is broken now. Me cry.

So today I got in Resistance (finally) played a custom Breach game 40 Players (japan server) it was awesome, there were no OneHit kills, no infinite ammo, no LAARK, no sniper, no shotgun and no arc charger. I saw some sweet strategies, and for some time now the Bullseye is my favorite gun I just love it so much. It was great fun. I just wished there were more custom games like that on the Euro server.

The Jer

M3Freak said:
Last night theJer sent me a messages asking why everyone was playing Super Stardust and why no one was playing Resistance.

Ya. I sent a couple people a message asking what on the flat earth was up.

It kind of freaked me out to see everyone online at the same time on a GAF night, and yet not a single one of them was playing Resistance.

GrayFoxPL

After playing more I'm starting to fall in love in post patch resistance :D. The game seems more smooth and dynamic to play. Is it just me or do the rag dolls kick in of more frequently - there are lot's of bodies flying and skiding on slopes :D.

M3Freak said:
2. The sensitivity settings have been invisibly sped up, making the game harder to play for many of us.

Mine is set to 4, but it felt like it was 5, or possibly 6. I had to back it down to 3 in order to play. Why the hell was this done and players not warned?

LOL, and just when I decided to change from 4 to 5, because I was getting shot in the back just tad to many times. So now I'm playing on the "old" 6? - lol. But I must say I'm quickly geeting used to it and it's exellent. Lot more smooth and unrivaled in close to medium firefights and quick almost "quakeish" turns and turnarounds. Of course it's hell a lot harder to aim with zoom, but still I think overall it's a change for the better but I will think through getting back to 4 since it's faster now. (My aim is still bit off on new setting).

Please give it a chance before you all start massively quiting and writing petitions to Insomaniac.

BTW. Why there are so few games on ROOFTOPS? I almost didn't see it when played on euro servers, now hopefully it will be more frequent as I had an awsome match today on it! Best map ever! :D

Oh and

6 life Conversion - FTW!

And I meet it lot more often. Yay for worldwide servers!

I3rand0

M3Freak said:

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who noticed this problem. I was messing with my settings all night. I usually play at 3 but it was giving me too much trouble and I even dropped it all the way down to 0 but still couldn't aim worth shit.

patsu

GrayFoxPL... is your PSN id "GrayFox" ? If so, I think I have played against (and with) you a couple of times. Happy to see you here.

All these Resistance talk is making me anxious (to play more), may be *MAY BE* Insomniac can get us to beta test in the future. We can pull a 20-vs-20 game easily with GAF members from Europe, Asia and US :D

Angelcurio

I havent been able to play a single online game, let alone join you guys on friday or yesterday for the clan matches. After i downloaded the patch i just haven't been able to even get to the menu for online multiplayer, and if i actually get to reach the online menu i receive a weird "log failed" error and then i am kicked out of the online menu.

Resistances matches are now ruined. Am Cry :(

dralla

When you guys play your gaf games what rules do you use? is it the one-hit, infinite ammo stuff I see all the time? and do you guys play human vs human, or do you play as chimera too?

Greg

Yeah, I downloaded the patch the day it came out, tried to connect to the servers for 15 minutes, and then just quit.

No big deal I guess, as I don't play Resistance (hell, my PS3) often - Insomniac has always worked things out in the past, and I'm sure this case is no different.

Madman

Angelcurio said:
I havent been able to play a single online game, let alone join you guys on friday or yesterday for the clan matches. After i downloaded the patch i just haven't been able to even get to the menu for online multiplayer, and if i actually get to reach the online menu i receive a weird "log failed" error and then i am kicked out of the online menu.

Resistances matches are now ruined. Am Cry :(
Keep trying. That's what I did and I got in 2 solid sessions yesterday.

Kittonwy

Banned
dralla said:
When you guys play your gaf games what rules do you use? is it the one-hit, infinite ammo stuff I see all the time? and do you guys play human vs human, or do you play as chimera too?

We don't do those retarded stuff. Personally I dislike custom games.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
1_teddykitty.jpg

^^ FIX IT INSOMNIAC!!! FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!!

CALL TEH REPAIRMAN!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

careksims

M3Freak said:
Last night theJer sent me a messages asking why everyone was playing Super Stardust and why no one was playing Resistance. It was certainly weird - we all just quit out.

It took us three hours to play three ranked TD games, I think. Wow.

Assuming Insomniac is interested:

1. If we had three more players than the other side, the game wouldn't start - that's bullshit.

It's unbalanced, yes, but I hardly call that a massive advantage. We've lost matches or had very challenging rounds with when we've had a couple more players than the other side.

3. The game appears to be running faster.

Not a bad thing, but it contributed to the "something is different" feeling that I think many of us have had since the patch.

4. We tried turning off Worldwide Servers and it did let us play a game, but since the patch turns Worldwide Servers on by default, we had massive problems finding games on just the North American servers.

5. We had problems joining custom games (Join Game Error).

6. Efertlistdotcom had problems creating custom games.

7. Efertlisdotcom and I both joined games where we were the only party members to make it - everyone else got kicked. (we were party leaders each time this happened).

There's probably more, but that's what we ran into last night.

Man, the new maps are so sweet, but the game is broken now. Me cry.

Damn I didn't miss much then last night but I'm sorry to here that! Ugh! I hope that doesn't happen to tonight! Thanks for the warning about the sensitivity. Will tweak that one now.

M3Freak

Banned
I don't know if I'll be on tonight - going to a wedding reception in the evening. If I do make it, it will probably be after 11:00 p.m. I bet by then everyone will have given up trying to play, and split for Super Stardust.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
I don't know if I'll be on tonight - going to a wedding reception in the evening. If I do make it, it will probably be after 11:00 p.m. I bet by then everyone will have given up trying to play, and split for Super Stardust.

If you're planning on making it, I'll be there, I usually stick around past 11 anyway.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
If you're planning on making it, I'll be there, I usually stick around past 11 anyway.
Indifferent2.gif

Okay - I'll be on for sure tonight. I just don't know when.

I should say that even though yesterday we couldn't play ranked games, the custom games we played on the new maps were a lot of fun. A LOT of fun. I was target bombing people far away in a valley on the snow map from a node near our base. Freaking awesome.

Unfortunately, the new maps will own if and only if the new massive problems are fixed quickly. I wager Insomniac and Sony have a maximum of ten days before all hell breaks loose in the community.

Big-E

M3Freak said:

I should say that even though yesterday we couldn't play ranked games, the custom games we played on the new maps were a lot of fun. A LOT of fun. I was target bombing people far away in a valley on the snow map from a node near our base. Freaking awesome.

Unfortunately, the new maps will own if and only if the new massive problems are fixed quickly. I wager Insomniac and Sony have a maximum of ten days before all hell breaks loose in the community.

I think its going to take longer to fix because of the July 4th long weekend.

M3Freak said:
Where did you get those stats from?

Click on the replies for the thread on the first page of the gaming forum.

M3Freak

Banned
Big-E said:
I think its going to take longer to fix because of the July 4th long weekend.

The U.S. Independence Day falls on Wednesday - do they still get a long weekend?

I completely forgot, you hosers:

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!! We're 140!!!!

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:

That map was SO HUGE.
Indifferent2.gif

LJ11

I never understood the fascination some of you had with international servers. Lag is inevitable in such a structure, and other problems will clearly arise from it as well. The community borked the game by asking for this, its not Insomniac's fault that some of you didn't realize this would be an inevitable byproduct of international servers.

M3Freak

Banned
LJ11 said:
I never understood the fascination some of you had with international servers. Lag is inevitable in such a structure, and other problems will clearly arise from it as well. The community borked the game by asking for this, its not Insomniac's fault that some of you didn't realize this would be an inevitable byproduct of international servers.

I though it would be cool, but I always said playing against people from time zones across the globe would be nigh impossible, except for bum teenagers and slacking adults.

As for lag, I don't think it's because of the international servers. I think the patch itself is broken, just like it was when we had massive lag after every game (people getting added to recently met online list in XMB).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey guys,

I've seen everything you're talking about and I'll find out what I can for your ASAP.

I may try to join you tonight, but I'm in the middle of a move so things are a bit hairy.

Madman

jstevenson said:
Hey guys,

I've seen everything you're talking about and I'll find out what I can for your ASAP.
Has anyone else reported not being able to turn off the voice chat coming from their TV/speakers?

Crisis

Banned
jstevenson said:
Hey guys,

I may try to join you tonight, but I'm in the middle of a move so things are a bit hairy.

Now that's service! :lol

Thanks, JS. Oh, and for what it's worth I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say the work that you and Insomniac have done on behalf of the Resistance community is much-appreciated. The fact that you guys are still listening to us and (hopefully) trying to fix the issues that have popped up is a testament to your commitment.

GrayFoxPL

patsu said:
GrayFoxPL... is your PSN id "GrayFox" ? If so, I think I have played against (and with) you a couple of times. Happy to see you here.

All these Resistance talk is making me anxious (to play more), may be *MAY BE* Insomniac can get us to beta test in the future. We can pull a 20-vs-20 game easily with GAF members from Europe, Asia and US :D

Nope, sorry. My psn id is also GrayFoxPL :).

It's harder to kick ass in Resistance now thanks to international servers. In europe most of the time I scored places 1-4, now it's 1-6 :D.

People please stop about crying about lag. It's pretty good most of the time (at least for me today). And come one being on West Coast you may be playing against someone from Ukraine or whatever, don't expect it to be like his sitting next to you. There's bound to be a lag, the net code must equal it all out somehow. Still iit's mighty impressive. I'm from Poland so playing against Americans or Japanese with only small lag problems is really cool. When tried on kailera or something - completely unplayable.

kammy

Banned
I've had enough of this bullshit.

Downloaded the update twice, timed out after 97% both times, now I cant even get the multi to even load, the PS3 just freezes on the load screen. I waited months for this update, **** you, im trading it in for sigma next week.

I'll get it when its $5

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Hey Everyone,

Most of the issues still occurring seem to be because Sony wasn't quite prepared for the load (don't ask me why or how that happened). The good news is that I am optimistic they'll be able to rebalance things and get the stability back soon. I can't promise anything in terms of how long it will take them, but I know that they will keep hammering on this until it gets fixed.

I've been playing quite a bit since the update and have seen the disconnect issues and the trouble logging in as well, but I'm not seeing the problem M3 mentioned about sensitivity tweaking or speeding up the game. We did not adjust any of those settings so if anything changed at all in the controller it might have something to do with one of Sony's firmware updates. We'll certainly investigate and see if we can figure out anything more on that topic.

Finally, I know people are frustrated by the map pack and ranked game issue. That is not how it is intended to work. Parties were supposed to be allowed on map pack mayhem and I believe this is a server deployment issue that we can clear up quickly. Also map pack mayhem is a short term solution until we integrate the map packs into the standard ranked game supersets. Thanks everyone for bearing with us and supporting the game. The issues that occurred during this rollout are not in line with our standards for how we support our games and we will be working closely with Sony to hammer home that message and help them make sure this doesn't happen again.

-Unofficial Chimeran Apologist

patsu

cage_free... Thanks for the heads up. I will go hammer the Playstation Blog now. I love that blog because I now know who's responsible for the issues and can talk to them directly. It's much better than a corporate community PR front. Ok, ok, I will go gentle first in case he dies of high blood pressure due to the sudden surge in complains.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
neogaf_cage_free said:
we will be working closely with Sony to hammer home that message and help them make sure this doesn't happen again.

-Unofficial Chimeran Apologist

Threaten to release Ratchet & Clank on the 360 and the server issue will be fixed tomorrow.

Aeon712

So I guess we aren't playing Resistance tonight looking at my XMB I see Efertlis, Sutdawg, Lunlunqq and Loco all playing Stardust with Maggot playing Rainbow 6.

Just tried signing on :(, there should be a way to get my 7.99 back :(.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Personally, I wont touch it until they fix it. I want to play the new maps, and this is just impossible when going for ranked matches in a party. Which is how I play Resistance.

Besided, I like the XMB friends list addition, but why do I have to leave the party every time I want to check it out (since it's in the Community section of the online menu)? Why isn't it accessible otherwise?

Greg

Aeon712 said:
So I guess we aren't playing Resistance tonight looking at my XMB I see Efertlis, Sutdawg, Lunlunqq and Loco all playing Stardust with Maggot playing Rainbow 6.
I'm watching Entourage at 10, followed by Flight of the Conchords at 10:30, followed by a movie, followed by a trip to the game store to possibly rent The Darkness...:lol

I may scratch the movie thing and the rental thing, so there is a chance I will be on around 11 EST.

lunlunqq

Aeon712 said:

Just tried signing on :(, there should be a way to get my 7.99 back :(.

what???!!?!?!?!?!?

i'm currently in the lobby, waiting for you guys.

my parents came to visit me from china. they've been occupying the TV for the past 3 weeks. tonight i finally got a chance to use the TV and you guys are not playing???? :'(

Aeon712

Greg said:
I'm watching Entourage at 10, followed by Flight of the Conchords at 10:30, followed by a movie, followed by a trip to the game store to possibly rent The Darkness...:lol

I may scratch the movie thing and the rental thing, so there is a chance I will be on around 11 EST.
It prob won't let you sign on, I just tried like 10x and never even made it to the lobby login failed screen.

lunlunqq said:
what???!!?!?!?!?!?

i'm currently in the lobby, waiting for you guys.

my parents came to visit me from china. they've been occupying the TV for the past 3 weeks. tonight i finally got a chance to use the TV and you guys are not playing???? :'(
It won't let me on :(

Greg

Aeon712 said:
It prob won't let you sign on, I just tried like 10x and never even made it to the lobby login failed screen.
I was on earlier - first time on since the patch was out. I was trying to check out the lip sync thing, but no one would talk to me / spoke a different language. :lol

I'm just giving the game a break until they fix it - and you know they will fix it soon enough, as we've had damn near flawless online experiences in the past.

lunlunqq

Aeon712 said:

It won't let me on :(

??? is it because of the new update? i had that problem when i tried to login the first time after installing the update/map pack. after that i'm doing fine.

Aeon712

This is bullcrap, I just tried another 5x to get online and they all failed. Can't believe I payed to get my game bricked.

Top Bottom