• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Bearillusion said:
Taking out the stalkers isn't a problem it's the widowmaker. How many hits with the lark does it take to bring it down?

Try using the third fire mode. Just hit R1 to fire it and hold it in until it makes contact. That will do the normal damage plus the mini rockets and should take it down it two shots.

tanod

when is my burrito
Beatbox said:
Try using the third fire mode. Just hit R1 to fire it and hold it in until it makes contact. That will do the normal damage plus the mini rockets and should take it down it two shots.

Beat me to it. That part was a bitch before I figured that out.

Also, since it's probably his first playthrough, he doesn't have the splitter which would PWN the stalkers. Before I had that, I used the carbine on stalkers. Seems to be the most efficient use of ammo.

Kittonwy

Banned
valentine-kitten.jpg

^^ I wuv Game Battle!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

FRIDAY NIGHT!!!

BERIEVE IN GAME BATTLE!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF05.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

M3Freak

Banned
I will be there, BEEEETCHES.

By the way, where the hell was everyone this week? Queeg and I were playing alone for most of the week (except the clan night, and one night when efertlis decided to join in).

It was kind of nice since we could rack up double digit kills. No sutdawg, efertlis, aeon or the other boobs meant a lot more for queeg and I to mow down. I believe we finished in the top 5 for most games. I even got a 40/26 or something last night - sweet.

Anyway, you BEETCHES, see you online tonight.

sutdawg

M3Freak said:
By the way, where the hell was everyone this week? Queeg and I were playing alone for most of the week (except the clan night, and one night when efertlis decided to join in).

I was MIA for the week. Haven't even turned on my PS3 since Saturday night. But have no fear M3Geak... I'm back tonight.

Aeon712

Aeon will be there tonight also, even if I have to drink a Monster to stay up and complain about Insomniac and their stupid Shotgun. Monday I watched the Eagles lose :(, Tuesday I watched Superman Doomsday(Terrible movie), and rest of the week I've been sleeping early since I had to wake up at 4:30 all this week :(.

Beatbox said:
How I beat the game on Superhuman without knowing that I have no clue. I subsequently played 2000 games online without knowing as well :p

Aeon I have a hilarious article from The Onion I'm going to send you. You have to read it.

tanod

when is my burrito
I posted this about Resistance in the "How I broke the game" thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7928150
Resistance: Fall of Man SP

Anybody who has played the game in SP knows how solid the 30 frame rate is normally. I decided to "test" it. The level where you first get the sniper rifle has a part where there are chimeran hybrids running down a ramp across a gorge into cover and there's probably 10 of them at a time. As you kill one, another reinforcement comes to take his place.

Well, it was my second play through of the game (hard difficulty) and so I had a full set of backlash grenades (5 of them). For those who don't know what backlash grenades do, they create something similar to a "bubble shield" except bigger and they reflect all weapon fire back to the original NPC who shoots at the player.

Well, I popped my 5 backlash grenades on the ground as fast as I can and bust out the shotgun and start taking people out. The game just starts absolutely CHUGGING at like less than 5 frames a second. Each shot that gets fired at me is reflecting 5 times between the shields and THEN gets sent back to the shooter and there are dozens of bullets on the screen. Chimeran Hybrids are just dying everywhere and they just keep coming and dying.

I've never done anything like that before but it was REALLY cool.

I can't remember exactly what level it is but if you want to see your PS3 do a real workout, try it out.

You know what I'd really like to see in a sequel? More giant insect like chimera. Giant scorpion chimera, giant giant centipede chimera, and such. I don't usually pin point my wishes in this fashion, but I remember going all bananas over a very early blog event, I believe it was for the GDC '06 behind closed doors demonstration, where the guy writing the blog mentioned giant scorpions scuttling towards the player. Turns out he was talking about the crawlers, which while scorpion-like weren't all that gigantic. In my mind, I envisioned the leviathan scorpions from Deadlocked but rendered in the style of Resistance, and it was a beautiful vision indeed.

Aeon712

I haven't played since Sunday so once my friend finishes off her ipod stuff and I have my room back I'm hoping on to make my return :D.

And WTF Efertlis has all the medals(First for GAF) and I haven't seen one mention of it, Big ups to ya kid you could've never done it without me :lol.

Kittonwy

Banned
124618395_c9acff87f6.jpg

^^ My momma told me life is like Game Battle, you never know what you're gonna get!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

CATURDAY NIGHT!!!

GET READY TO FIGHT FOR BEERDOM!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

MEETUP TIMES:

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF05.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

Thanks!

Aeon712

I should be home at around 11:45 to start playing. Last week I was late because I got lost on my way home :lol since I missed the bus and decided to walk rather then wait another hr.

ChryZ

1187302053149.jpg

Wake up! No need for cat helmet, we'll face the threat head on! No need for body armor, auger that shit! No need for vehicles, we can run like the wind!

This is OUR Resistance! ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE?! :lol

Greg

Small chance that I hop on tonight to play - 12 EST at the earliest.

...I think it's about time I show up for my monthly 2 games of Resistance. :lol

Aeon712

Greg said:
Small chance that I hop on tonight to play - 12 EST at the earliest.

...I think it's about time I show up for my monthly 2 games of Resistance. :lol
You just wanna join in on the Eagles bashing :(

Bearillusion said:
Taking out the stalkers isn't a problem it's the widowmaker. How many hits with the lark does it take to bring it down?

As others have suggested, learn to use the secondary (or even as Aeon calls it the "thirdary") fire mode of the LAARK, which kills Stalkers dead like Raid on roaches.

For the Widowmaker, I actually have good luck using the Sapper of all things (fighting fire with fire, so to speak). Widowmakers are so badass they just charge straight for you, so adjust your aim up a bit for maximum distance, and lay down a stream of Sapper blobs as you back up to a good cover point.

I usually then end up in the second floor of one of the buildings, and I just continue to launch Sapper shots at it (again, you have to aim upward to put a little arc on your shots to get them to carry over the distance required). This makes pretty short work of the Widowmaker, and is the quickest method I've found in that scenario, since you are probably only going to have one LAARK round left if you are lucky after dealing with the Stalkers.

This method even worked for me on Superhuman, IIRC.

FredFish

Sorry I haven't been on for clan nights lately. Lent my PS3 to my brother for a while. I'll second that advice about using the sapper on the widowmaker. Almost trivializes the encounters if you set it up right.

Steroyd

Last night I was getting kicked out just as efertilis joined ranked games :( does efert not love me or is my internet royally buggered.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
I should be home at around 11:45 to start playing. Last week I was late because I got lost on my way home :lol since I missed the bus and decided to walk rather then wait another hr.

You walked home? That's dangerous.
Indifferent2.gif

Just for the record I was on my 7th guiness by the time we disband.
Indifferent2.gif

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Steroyd said:
Last night I was getting kicked out just as efertilis joined ranked games :( does efert not love me or is my internet royally buggered.

:lol No I don't hate you. Once the "searching for ranked game" text is up I can't see the lobby chat or kick players. Sounds like your internet/router is buggy or your bandwidth is being used by someone else and the game is just kicking you.

Steroyd

Oh man what is up with my connection then? When I first played Resistance online it was all perfect even with NAT3 then problems started to happen, fix that everything is rosy for about a month and issues pop back up again it's really annoying.

It was probably best I got kicked out anyway I've got a cold and I was drowsy, last night I was awake one hour too early, it's really hard to stay awake for an hour doing nothing.

womfalcs3

Banned
Due to a lot of work I'm having, I haven't had time to play much... or come in this thread to continuously read your posts. If this has been answered, sorry, but are there plans to make the the first map pack free any time soon?

Aeon712

Last night was horrible for me, not stats wise since the only rd(yes rd not game) I went 20-6 with 12 def kills and then as soon as the second rd started DNS error disconnected I was like wtf Nooooooooooo. Tried to get back and was disconnected in the lobby. Waited a bit and made it back for a Gaf granade war only to be kicked once it ended. Verizon hates me.

Kittonwy

Banned
433993378_f482bf42e9.jpg

^^ I HAZ SET UP TEH BAIT RAWR!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!!

TONIGHT BEERDOM WILL PREVAIL!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

MEETUP TIMES:

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF05.jpg

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Thanks!

g23

European pre-madonna
dang, is this the most organized clan in GAF or what?

I hope the Halo 3 division can deliver the same clan experience you guys are doing!....oh wait...

Greg

AltogetherAndrews said:
Ok, you guys post that thing way too frequently.
You post that too frequently.

I love seeing that post - lets me know that GAF is still alive and kicking if I ever decide to play again. :lol

Steroyd

g23 said:
dang, is this the most organized clan in GAF or what?

I hope the Halo 3 division can deliver the same clan experience you guys are doing!....oh wait...

What's all that about?

Is Halo confIrmed to not have a clan system?

???

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Steroyd said:
What's all that about?

Is Halo confIrmed to not have a clan system?

???

It doesn't, which kinda confirms a universal clan system in the next 360 firmware (which I don't think is all that great an idea, but...)

TTP said:
Why isn't this thread in the Online / Matchup Forum while the Warhawk is?

THAT'S RACIST!

:p

Cuz we sometimes talk about non-online aspects of the game in this thread... (See Bearillusion's post at the top of this page and the many responses.)

Aeon712 said:
Eagles put up 56pts, oh heck yea I'll be on Resistance tonight :D

Wow, you guys looked great...against DETROIT.

Well, except for the 21 pts. you gave up in the first half...to DETROIT.

Aeon712

Pristine_Condition said:
Cuz we sometimes talk about non-online aspects of the game in this thread... (See Bearillusion's post at the top of this page and the many responses.)

Wow, you guys looked great...against DETROIT.

Well, except for the 21 pts. you gave up in the first half...to DETROIT.

Lets not forget that this Detroit team was 2-0 before the thrashing we gave them. You guys face your first real def tonight. Time to see what Romo is made of.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Lets not forget that this Detroit team was 2-0 before the thrashing we gave them. You guys face your first real def tonight. Time to see what Romo is made of.

Is there a real winner in this?
Go Brett Favrawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712 said:
Eagles put up 56pts, oh heck yea I'll be on Resistance tonight :D
call me when you have a winning record. PACKERS HAHAHAHA anyway. I HOPE to be on tonight, but after 3 freezes playing resistance last night I'm worried about my ps3. Then again I suppose I should try to get it to break if anything, my warranty is almost up.

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy: What time tonight? Regular 9:30-10:00pm? Also I'm having major connection problems but it seems to be working ok right now. I'll try and play if you guys don't start to late.

M3Freak

Banned
BobTheFork said:
call me when you have a winning record. PACKERS HAHAHAHA anyway. I HOPE to be on tonight, but after 3 freezes playing resistance last night I'm worried about my ps3. Then again I suppose I should try to get it to break if anything, my warranty is almost up.

I have another year - my credit card extended the warranty to two years.

I should be on tonight around 9:00 p.m. - hopefully.

Kittonwy

Banned
Firewire said:
Kittonwy: What time tonight? Regular 9:30-10:00pm? Also I'm having major connection problems but it seems to be working ok right now. I'll try and play if you guys don't start to late.

Yep.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:

Say it with me:

BRETT FAVRAWR

Indifferent2.gif

OverHeat

« generous god »
Guys you can remove me from the Resistance clan with H3 coming tomorrow I wont be playing anymore.
It was nice playing with you guys se you all on Resistance 2 ;)

Aeon712

I'll be on at 9:30 after Family Guy season premiere. Only Family Guy can make Star Wars cool.

Make that 10 its on for 1hr

Top Bottom