• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

BobTheFork said:
I was thinking about that. If seemingly the chimera were people (PEOPLE!), how did they start? Intelligent virus?

That's where you get into the GOOD STUFF, Mr. Fork.

Man, I wish I was writing this game. Not that I'm better than the awesome folks at Insomniac, who I'm sure have an excellent plan for this game. I just have an idea where this could all go that I think would be EPIC. My big post just scratched the surface (pun totally intended!)

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I was thinking about that. If seemingly the chimera were people (PEOPLE!), how did they start? Intelligent virus?

It's like how the super soldier serum is actually a virus so Hale is like rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
TEH-CJ said:
Ah i see.. good stuff :D

but that leads to my other Q..

wouldn't there be full breed chimera also ?

i mean they had to start off somewhere..or did the chimera actually start of as leaper bug things ( i forget the name memory blank)

But you're assuming the chimera are a creature. They could be just a virus or there might be a pure strain of Chimera that we haven't seen yet. We don't even know if they're aliens or there could be some form of time travel involved.

From what I've gathered from the story, everything except for crawlers are made from the bodies of humans or animals. I think that includes angels. But when you think about the Chimeran hierarchy, who/what is deciding where and when angels need to be made. How did these creatures/things develop this advanced technology?

To me, the most fascinating story bit has always been trying to figure out what the American government is actually trying to do. If you check out RFOMPS3.com, apparently America has cut its diplomatic ties with all countries and turned into an isolationist/fascist country.

So, the American people don't even know that there is a war going on in Europe, don't know the US government is getting entangled in it or that the Chimera even exists. Now, the American Special Ops have Hale. At the beginning of the game, the Americans are trading the Brits an Angel for a weapon. We never get to know what the weapon is or how the Americans even got a hold of the Angel in the first place. So many questions and so few answers. Grrr

That's one of the things I really like about this story, Tanod. It's sooooooo open-ended it lets the imagination run wild. I've come up with so many possible avenues for the story myself, it is pretty remarkable.

Most games and movies that are designed to have sequels, you can tell where they are going right away. Resistance...not so much.

I see the source of the Chimera as something...well, let's just say it would be totally unexpected looking at the creatures we have seen so far.

TEH-CJ

Banned
tanod said:
But you're assuming the chimera are a creature. They could be just a virus or there might be a pure strain of Chimera that we haven't seen yet. We don't even know if they're aliens or there could be some form of time travel involved.

From what I've gathered from the story, everything except for crawlers are made from the bodies of humans or animals. I think that includes angels. But when you think about the Chimeran hierarchy, who/what is deciding where and when angels need to be made. How did these creatures/things develop this advanced technology?

To me, the most fascinating story bit has always been trying to figure out what the American government is actually trying to do. If you check out RFOMPS3.com, apparently America has cut its diplomatic ties with all countries and turned into an isolationist/fascist country.

So, the American people don't even know that there is a war going on in Europe, don't know the US government is getting entangled in it or that the Chimera even exists. Now, the American Special Ops have Hale. At the beginning of the game, the Americans are trading the Brits an Angel for a weapon. We never get to know what the weapon is or how the Americans even got a hold of the Angel in the first place. So many questions and so few answers. Grrr

True

but like you said , i go back to the technology the chimera have, and how its physically improssible for humanity to have that sort of tech at 1950 lol

they have to be something from out of space haha

TEH-CJ said:
True

but like you said , i go back to the technology the chimera have, and how its physically improssible for humanity to have that sort of tech at 1950 lol

they have to be something from out of space haha
Well, remember what I said about the
towers. There is clearly some high technology on Earth humans didn't seem aware of

Wow Pristine, just wow. That is a damn fine theory.
It certainly does a better job of explaining the Clovens interest in Hale than my own. One point I'd take issue with is the idea of the Cloven being susceptible to the Angel's mind control but the theory that Hale has a stronger resistance than they do makes it entirely feasible.

And I totally forgot about the excavations!

Someone needs to fill me in on the US Spec Forces though. Aside from Hale's Ranger unit I can't remember any mention of them.

Your Napoleon hint is driving me crazy as well. Even a quick scan of wikipedia brings me no closer to understanding. I feel incredibly stupid. :(

freethought said:
Wow Pristine, just wow. That is a damn fine theory.
It certainly does a better job of explaining the Clovens interest in Hale than my own. One point I'd take issue with is the idea of the Cloven being susceptible to the Angel's mind control but the theory that Hale has a stronger resistance than they do makes it entirely feasible.

And I totally forgot about the excavations!

Someone needs to fill me in on the US Spec Forces though. Aside from Hale's Ranger unit I can't remember any mention of them.

Your Napoleon hint is driving me crazy as well. Even a quick scan of wikipedia brings me no closer to understanding. I feel incredibly stupid. :(

Glad you liked my post. I've thought a lot about how the story could go into two or even four more games for a complete epic story arc. Maybe when Resistance 2 comes out, and it's nothing like my idea, I can write a bitter follow-up with all my ideas in it, and talk about how "I would have done soooo much better writing that story." But knowing Insomniac, I bet it'll be awesome, and it'll just make me look foolish! :lol

The Cloven
If the intel reports on the Cloven are to be believed, the Cloven have a resistance, but are far more animalistic than normal humans. That's why I came up with the idea that they could be more susceptible to the Chimeran mind control, and need some sort of special help (in my idea, the leader's own "Angel-like" powers overriding the Angels' power) to stay independent. Hale is the "most human" of anyone infected that we know about, and even he has considerable difficulty blocking the Angels' influence. But he can do it, and that may signify that he has a unique advantage that could be used.

The US Spec. Ops.
You see their dead bodies around where Hale is infiltrating Chimeran installations. They also show up to take Hale into custody at the end of the game (in the awesome cut scene after the credits where Hale makes his big decision.) So presumably, they've been following Hale, and probably leading the way in some of his assaults to assist him covertly.

Napoleon
It's a pretty good hint, when combined with how I set it up, and what we know about the Chimera's methods thus far, actually. :p But if it is any consolation, It is just my own crazy internet fan fiction for how the story would go, so even if you don't get the hint, it doesn't mean much in the long run. I'm not expecting any calls from Ted Price because he wants me, some random fan on the internet, to share my ideas for his AAA, multi-gazillion dollar franchise anytime soon... :lol

Pristine_Condition said:
Glad you liked my post. I've thought a lot about how the story could go into two or even four more games for a complete epic story arc. Maybe when Resistance 2 comes out, and it's nothing like my idea, I can write a bitter follow-up with all my ideas in it, and talk about how "I would have done soooo much better writing that story." But knowing Insomniac, I bet it'll be awesome, and just make me look foolish! :lol

The Cloven
If the intel reports on the Cloven are to be believed, the Cloven have a resistance, but are far more animalistic than normal humans. That's why I came up with the idea that they could be more susceptible to the Chimeran mind control, and need some sort of special help (in my idea, the leader's own "Angel-like" powers overriding the Angels' power) to stay independent. Hale is the "most human" of anyone infected that we know about, and even he has considerable difficulty blocking the Angels' influence. But he can do it, and that may signify that he has a unique advantage that could be used.

The US Spec. Ops.
You see their dead bodies around where Hale is infiltrating Chimeran installations. They also show up to take Hale into custody at the end of the game (in the awesome cut scene after the credits where Hale makes his big decision.) So presumably, they've been following Hale, and probably leading the way in some of his assaults to assist him covertly.

Napoleon
It's a pretty good hint, when combined with how I set it up, and what we know about the Chimera's methods thus far, actually. :p But if it is any consolation, It is just my own crazy internet fan fiction for how the story would go, so even if you don't get the hint, it doesn't mean much in the long run. I'm not expecting any calls from Ted Price because he wants me to share my ideas for his AAA franchise anytime soon... :lol

The thing about the Cloven I keep wondering it why they
seem to fear infection so much, that they are known to bite though their own wrists if infected. They also seem to have a mutual hatred of humans and chimera. I think its possible they created the chimera 'virus' to enhance themselves and it got out of control

TEH-CJ

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Glad you liked my post. I've thought a lot about how the story could go into two or even four more games for a complete epic story arc. Maybe when Resistance 2 comes out, and it's nothing like my idea, I can write a bitter follow-up with all my ideas in it, and talk about how "I would have done soooo much better writing that story." But knowing Insomniac, I bet it'll be awesome, and it'll just make me look foolish! :lol

The Cloven

The US Spec. Ops.

Napoleon
It's a pretty good hint, when combined with how I set it up, and what we know about the Chimera's methods thus far, actually. :p But if it is any consolation, It is just my own crazy internet fan fiction for how the story would go, so even if you don't get the hint, it doesn't mean much in the long run. I'm not expecting any calls from Ted Price because he wants me to share my ideas for his AAA franchise anytime soon... :lol

4 facts that i learnt today

1- You own

2- This is the best thread ever made

3- the resistance comunity is the best hands down

4- Resistance has potential to be the best fps series ever made.

indeed.

Cloven spoiler

The Cloven resisting the chimera virus doesn't make a ton of sense, if one was to go by intel. I believe there are a few pieces of intel in the Grimsby level that details Cloven conversion, and then there is the talk of chewing out ones vein in order to avoid said conversion.

TEH-CJ

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Cloven spoiler

The Cloven resisting the chimera virus doesn't make a ton of sense, if one was to go by intel. I believe there are a few pieces of intel in the Grimsby level that details Cloven conversion, and then there is the talk of chewing out ones vein in order to avoid said conversion.

Yup true forgot about that.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Cloven spoiler

yeah I just mentioned that, but something I didn't know was about the
Clover helmets having 4 eye holes. Maybe they are some different level of merger and don't want to lose thier free will like other convertees

BobTheFork said:
The thing about the Cloven I keep wondering it why they
seem to fear infection so much, that they are known to bite though their own wrists if infected. They also seem to have a mutual hatred of humans and chimera. I think its possible they created the chimera 'virus' to enhance themselves and it got out of control

I hope not. That explanation is kinda thin, IMO.
I see the Cloven, like Hale, and everyone else really, as just another small cog in a truly epic machine.

...but to carry the "Resistance" concept a little further, sometimes just a few seemingly-insignificant cells can take over even the strongest body.

tanod

when is my burrito
Pristine_Condition said:
The US Spec. Ops.

Actually, the Spec Ops
during the entirety of the game are not following you. They are ahead of you somewhat clearing a path in the latter half of the game. That's why you see their dead bodies. If you listen to the radio communications from the dead soldiers and read the intelligence documents, they are observing you as you go through the game and their orders are to assist and observe you but stay out of sight. They use code too. Grey Skin is Hale, IIRC and I think they use code when talking about the Cloven too. They, of course, never tell you why they are just observing you the whole time. Is Hale some kind of genetic experiment from the US? Does he not have any memory of his past? I just thought of this but what if Hale didn't get infected during the game. Maybe he was already infected by the US before the game even starts. :O

Blew my mind when I figured out what was going on with the Special Ops team during the game.

I always thought the Cloven were just
wacked-out Russians with a thing for self-mutilation and a disdain for Chimera and Humans alike. At one point it says that the Cloven were watching a contingent of human troops but trying to stay out of sight. I don't remember them saying they were infected or had 4 eyes. I mean, if you look at the MP skin, that is actually the only place you EVER see them in the game. Maybe you should take a closer look at that. The Cloven motivations and background are a complete mystery.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Cloven spoiler

Personally, I don't see any other explanation for the ability of the Cloven to have survived so long without some resistance. Being great fighters is one thing, but even the best army can't do much against all those bugs that come out of those Spires. Plus, it makes for an interesting plot device! :lol

I think there are other reasons for this strange behavior.

tanod said:
Actually, the Spec Ops
during the entirety of the game are not following you. They are ahead of you somewhat clearing a path in the latter half of the game. That's why you see their dead bodies. If you listen to the radio communications from the dead soldiers and read the intelligence documents, they are observing you as you go through the game and their orders are to assist and observe you but stay out of sight. They use code too. Grey Skin is Hale, IIRC and I think they use code when talking about the Cloven too. They, of course, never tell you why they are just observing you the whole time. Is Hale some kind of genetic experiment from the US? Does he not have any memory of his past? I just thought of this but what if Hale didn't get infected during the game. Maybe he was already infected by the US before the game even starts. :O

Blew my mind when I figured out what was going on with the Special Ops team during the game.

wacked-out Russians with a thing for self-mutilation and a disdain for Chimera and Humans alike. At one point it says that the Cloven were watching a contingent of human troops but trying to stay out of sight. I don't remember them saying they were infected or had 4 eyes. I mean, if you look at the MP skin, that is actually the only place you EVER see them in the game. Maybe you should take a closer look at that. The Cloven motivations and background are a complete mystery.

For the record, I didn't remember anything about the Cloven
having four eyes either, and that was part of my motivation for dismissing the idea, (also in case I had just forgotten that plot point!) even if I didn't say so.
But we really don't know enough about the Cloven other than the snippets of Intel and the multiplayer skins, so I'll let people have their theories. After all, I've got some crazy ideas too!

I didn't miss the significance of the Spec Ops
leading the way for Hale in some places either. After all, their dead bodies are there before you get into those areas!

TEH-CJ

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
All this talk of resistance makes me want to plug in my ps3 to play it :(

You should be playing it every day!! LOL ;)

haha its like a ritual to me, everyday no fail ill sit down and play resistance from start to finish

Edit: slighty OT but what time (EU time) is the RC demo on the US psn store ?

would it be 8 tonight EU time ?

ChryZ

Pristine_Condition said:
Personally, I don't see any other explanation for the ability of the Cloven to have survived so long without some resistance. Being great fighters is one thing, but even the best army can't do much against all those bugs that come out of those Spires. Plus, it makes for an interesting plot device! :lol

I think there are other reasons for this strange behavior.
I played like 800 MP matches with the Cloven skin before I rushed through superhuman to get me the special ops one. My theory of the Cloven is that they're the Russian equivalent to the American Special Ops. Their methods are dowdy and not as sophisticated as the "high tech" US Ops, e.g. bandanna to protect their faces vs US Special Ops's "high tech gear" like gas masks, sealed ABC suit, etc. They clearly got a Military background. Since the Chimera fun started in Russia, they might be the group with the most experience with them. I don't buy the four eyes theory up-thread, because all the heads of the MP skins are normal humans. Pretty random observations, yeah.

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
Actually, the Spec Ops

Chimeran virus is Resistance's version of the super soldier serum. Believe.
angry.gif

Haha, I've been so foolish. I'm starting the campaign again.
I thought the Spec Forces were the Cloven! (Never unlocked the MP skin and never heard any mention of the Spec Forces) Just to clarify then, those are the guys with four eyeholes. Either it's just a weirdly segmented visor or the US military have been experimenting with the virus.
In light of this earth-shattering revelation I just have one thing to say; Resistance's story is even better than I thought (and I thought it was great to begin with).

Steroyd

Sweet Zeus' balls what happened to this thread. :lol

What does collecting the intel do exactly?

Wish someone told me earlier when I started playing on hard would have tried to find them.

Steroyd said:
Sweet Zeus' balls what happened to this thread. :lol

What does collecting the intel do exactly?

Wish someone told me earlier when I started playing on hard would have tried to find them.

It tells you about 90% of the story. Without the intel, you don't really know much.

Oh, and you get the seven vital "Too Many Secrets" skill points, which are the last skill points most people need to get. You need all the skill points to unlock both the "Mechanic" head and the Spec Ops "Skull" skins (the latter of which also requires going through the game on Superhuman.)

You don't have to find the intel in hard or superhuman though. I tried that and it wasn't working too well for me! It was hard enough just making it through the Mall without exploring the place! :lol Just blaze through on Normal, and look around for the documents. Only one of them is really well-hidden.

Do you get access to the new weapons on a second playthrough on normal? Hard is pretty fucking brutal and I need a ton of intel from the end of the game.

Steroyd

So it's just collectables, oh man guess i'll screw it and play through it on normal after completing the campaign on Hard then.

Resistance 2 needs online co-op.

TEH-CJ

Banned
freethought said:
Do you get access to the new weapons on a second playthrough on normal? Hard is pretty fucking brutal and I need a ton of intel from the end of the game.

Yes you do

and if you thought hard was brutal, play superhuman

you ain't see nothing yet :lol

those steal head fuckers need to take some rittalin.

TEH-CJ said:
Yes you do

and if you thought hard was brutal, play superhuman

you ain't see nothing yet :lol

those steal head fuckers need to take some rittalin.

With all the trouble hard is giving me, I doubt I'd get to the first checkpoint on Superhuman. I'm tempted to stick with hard but I need another story playthrough apparently. I'm in Manchester right now and I forgot how amazing it was. Honestly though, I got so frustrated in the Cathedral on Normal, I don't know what I'm going to do on Hard!

TEH-CJ

Banned
freethought said:
With all the trouble hard is giving me, I doubt I'd get to the first checkpoint on Superhuman. I'm tempted to stick with hard but I need another story playthrough apparently. I'm in Manchester right now and I forgot how amazing it was. Honestly though, I got so frustrated in the Cathedral on Normal, I don't know what I'm going to do on Hard!

In the catherdral make sure you stay in the entrance and equip a shotgun

stay back and wait for the crawlers to come to you and blast away, its fairly easy once you know what your doing.

after you accomplished that bit equip your Rifle (assuming you have 40mm rounds) and run to the entrance that the Steal heads break through , stand at either side of the entrance and as soon as the steal heads break through fire your secondary,the blast should stun them. while they are stunned equip the Bullseye and finish them off.

walla you just passed the cathedral level in less than 5 min ;)

Steroyd

Stay back and wait for the crawlers to come to you and blast away, its fairly easy once you know what your doing.

Yeah that's also a point where if you play your cards right some crawlers don't see you from the distance.

M3Freak

Banned
Maybe Hale _is_ the secret U.S. weapon, and the Spec Ops are just monitoring him to:

1. protect their investment
2. see how well the weapon performs
3. make sure the weaon is delivered to the british

BTW, earlier someone said the Angel was being given to the British by the Americans (unless I misunderstood). I thought the British captured the Angel and that it was the secret weapon they were trying to deliver to the U.S. Can someone clarify this?

I too continue to play this game day in, day out because it:

1. rocks my world
2. the core GAF clan is awesome

I've very much enjoyed playing online with you guys (you know who you are). I hope we can all play together in other multiplayer games. A lobby/party/clan system similar to what we have in Resistance is the only way to do that, though!

Steroyd

Got up to "secrets" bloody hell they put more enemies in more places, I'm soo out of my comfort zone on the Hard difficulty.

At least I got the fetch skill point.

tanod

when is my burrito
M3Freak said:
Maybe Hale _is_ the secret U.S. weapon, and the Spec Ops are just monitoring him to:

1. protect their investment
2. see how well the weapon performs
3. make sure the weaon is delivered to the british

BTW, earlier someone said the Angel was being given to the British by the Americans (unless I misunderstood). I thought the British captured the Angel and that it was the secret weapon they were trying to deliver to the U.S. Can someone clarify this?

I too continue to play this game day in, day out because it:

1. rocks my world
2. the core GAF clan is awesome

I've very much enjoyed playing online with you guys (you know who you are). I hope we can all play together in other multiplayer games. A lobby/party/clan system similar to what we have in Resistance is the only way to do that, though!

I think I may have gotten the American and British mixed up when talking about the exchange. Also, that's a really neat idea about Hale.

<3 M3 and our clan

M3Freak

Banned
tanod said:
I think I may have gotten the American and British mixed up when talking about the exchange. Also, that's a really neat idea about Hale.

Okay - that's what I figured.

When I was playing the game and it was revealed that the secret British weapon was an Angel, I was like "WTF?!", because I thought the British were trying to infect North America.

Other questions/observations/predications I had/have:

1. How did the British manage to capture the Angel? Wouldn't the Angel have called for reinforcements?
2. What happened to the other soldier that the intel alluded to have also survived the initial infection?
3. I think Hale and that other guy are going to hook up in Resistance 2. That gives Insomniac the plot device to drive the game play - re: online co-op!!!
4. Hale was re-captured by the Spec-Ops (following my "Hale is the weapon" theory) because they view his mission to be complete, and so are taking back
possession of their "property". Well, it's that or they want to enhance his abilities or learn how to duplicate them artificially.
5. The Cloven are former Chimera prisoners that escaped before being infected and converted.

tanod said:
<3 M3 and our clan

Group hugs all around. Aeon and Sutdawg, keep your open mouth kissing to dark, dark, corners. Don't try to tell us you're not hawwwt for each other!

Top Bottom