• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

tanod

when is my burrito
tha_con said:
Meh, considering the size of the maps, the ability to scale them (in multiple fashions) and all the different layouts for different game types...I hardly think Insomniac 'over charged' for the maps.

I guess I'll finally be able to say whether or not I can agree with that now that I can play the darn things.

Angelcurio

M3Freak said:
AWW YEAAAH!!! Time for some new map BREACH, MELTDOWN AND ASSAULT, BAAAAAAAAAAAAABYYYYYYYYY!!!

It's time to implement that map pack policy. So, what's it going to be?

1. An hour or two designated for map packers only on each clan night

OR

2. One entire clan night for map packers only

Can we take this to a vote? I say number 1.
Well, i dont really care anymore. Just got the map packs from the japanese store using a Japanese PSN card from NCSX importers. Thanks Jstevenson and everyone that confirmed that it would work :D

M3Freak

Banned
Integrated new maps don't work - never came up tonight. When I finally called it a night, efterlis, patsu and kaz were the only ones left. They might have got them.

I want my money back. As awesome as the new maps are, we can't play them, so they might as well not exist. I'm most certainly NOT buying a second map pack, if it's ever released.

One thing I'm sure of: the second map pack will be picked up by even less people.

Maggot9

Banned
M3Freak said:
Integrated new maps don't work - never came up tonight. When I finally called it a night, efterlis, patsu and kaz were the only ones left. They might have got them.

I want my money back. As awesome as the new maps are, we can't play them, so they might as well not exist. I'm most certainly NOT buying a second map pack, if it's ever released.

One thing I'm sure of: the second map pack will be picked up by even less people.

see what i mean?

did you make sure everybody had the map pack in the party?

dralla

why are people surprised? having to pay for maps in a game that uses matchmaking doesn't work, that's why Bungie makes their maps free after a while...so you can actually play on them. Make the maps free and than make them a required download to get into Matchmaking so EVERYONE has them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dralla said:
why are people surprised? having to pay for maps in a game that uses matchmaking doesn't work, that's why Bungie makes their maps free after a while...so you can actually play on them. Make the maps free and than make them a required download to get into Matchmaking so EVERYONE has them.

i would get them if they were free :p

i dont play resistance enough anymore to warrant buying the map pack at any price, really.

theBishop

Banned
tha_con said:
Meh, considering the size of the maps, the ability to scale them (in multiple fashions) and all the different layouts for different game types...I hardly think Insomniac 'over charged' for the maps.

Are you all forgetting we've been playing on their Dedicated servers for FREE?

Misdirection.

Every game on PC has had FREE dedicated servers since Doom1. Microsoft's AOL For-Pay approach is the oddball, not the norm and should not be compared.

Epic sees the longterm value of giving maps away. It keeps people buying the game long after other games have been bargain-binned. Insomniac should follow their lead.

M3Freak

Banned
patsu said:
eFertLISdotcom, Kaz_Hirai and me just played TDM on Camborne :p

I told you it would work with three people. The match maker is fucked up, and the percentage of people that have the new maps is too low.

Maybe one day I'll experience the awesomeness of 40 player TDM on Camborne. ::cries::

Aeon712

M3Freak said:
I told you it would work with three people. The match maker is fucked up, and the percentage of people that have the new maps is too low.

Maybe one day I'll experience the awesomeness of 40 player TDM on Camborne. ::cries::
Yea it seems all they did was add map pack mayham to the ranked search instead of giving it its own option. The only way to get TDM on the new maps was with a tiny party of about 3 people.

Firewire

Banned
M3Freak said:

It only works with small parties? I don't get it, whats the use of it when you can't play the maps in large groups.

M3Freak

Banned
Firewire said:
It only works with small parties? I don't get it, whats the use of it when you can't play the maps in large groups.

It will work with larger parties, but it's rare because too few people have the damn thing. So, when we have a large party, finding a match on the new maps is unlikely.

The matchmaker probably needs tweaking too - it's a good thing kaz was playing with us last night because he can report back to Insomniac and get the shit tweaked.

There is one good thing coming out of all this: Insomniac knows what does and doesn't work with:

1. match making
2. map packs
3. pricing
4. minimum numbers needed for players to actually play on new maps on a regular basis
5. map integration

Their list is probably longer than mine...

patsu

SafeBet joined us later (That's 4 of us) when we had the 16p Camborne TDM. Kaz_Hirai saw everything anyway, so hopefully he can relay the problems to his team.

I played Meltdown once on Camborne (also 16p). It's cool and disorienting at the same time ...although the confusing part may be just me. I was hoping to play that level again with you guys. I can totally see Sutdawg and efertListDOTcom sniping from some interesting positions there.

Firewire

Banned
M3Freak said:
It will work with larger parties, but it's rare because too few people have the damn thing. So, when we have a large party, finding a match on the new maps is unlikely.

The matchmaker probably needs tweaking too - it's a good thing kaz was playing with us last night because he can report back to Insomniac and get the shit tweaked.

There is one good thing coming out of all this: Insomniac knows what does and doesn't work with:

1. match making
2. map packs
3. pricing
4. minimum numbers needed for players to actually play on new maps on a regular basis
5. map integration

Their list is probably longer than mine...

I guess Insomniac should make the map pack free. Its kinda weird though, Resistance still has allot of people playing it online, I wonder why so few have the extra maps, I guess allot of the newer players don't even know about them or something.

Firewire said:
I guess Insomniac should make the map pack free. Its kinda weird though, Resistance still has allot of people playing it online, I wonder why so few have the extra maps, I guess allot of the newer players don't even know about them or something.
I just haven't bought them yet I wish they were free, maybe I'll buy them one day.

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:

I don't think Insomniac has any control over the price of the map pack. If Sony decided to make them free, they'd be in for a shit storm and cause Insomniac a lot of grief if they didn't refund that money to those who already bought them.

tanod said:
I don't think Insomniac has any control over the price of the map pack. If Sony decided to make them free, they'd be in for a shit storm and cause Insomniac a lot of grief if they didn't refund that money to those who already bought them.

I can't agree. For a start there's precedent (Halo, Gears(?)) and as long as there's a sizable gap between release and them being offered for free I doubt most people would mind having those maps put in regular rotation. Judging by comments in the thread I'd say a lot of those who have bought the pack (I got it straight away) would be in favour of such a move.

tanod

when is my burrito
freethought said:
I can't agree. For a start there's precedent (Halo, Gears(?)) and as long as there's a sizable gap between release and them being offered for free I doubt most people would mind having those maps put in regular rotation. Judging by comments in the thread I'd say a lot of those who have bought the pack (I got it straight away) would be in favour of such a move.

Both Gears and Halo allowed you to play the map pack in ranked, so that precedent doesn't apply to RFOM.

The maps are in the regular rotation now for those who have them. However, for four months, we have been unable to play them in ranked and that's as good as not having them at all. Disagree.

You guys had better keep all this talk to the Online forum if you don't want your thread locked. It's a serious issue, you guys are lucky you haven't been hit with the banstick TBH.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
tanod said:
Both Gears and Halo allowed you to play the map pack in ranked, so that precedent doesn't apply to RFOM.

The maps are in the regular rotation now for those who have them. However, for four months, we have been unable to play them in ranked and that's as good as not having them at all. Disagree.

You could play them ranked before as a party, but it was usually FFA DM or Conversion. However I got into a dozen or two ranked TDM's on the new maps before the integration.

tanod

when is my burrito
AdmiralViscen said:
You guys had better keep all this talk to the Online forum if you don't want your thread locked. It's a serious issue, you guys are lucky you haven't been hit with the banstick TBH.

We're not talking about meeting up and games. That all happens in the online thread.

tanod said:
We're not talking about meeting up and games. That all happens in the online thread.

The online forum's description is faulty, any and all multiplayer discussion (at least for Halo) has to be over there.

A rule so clearly stated should be easy to apply fairly.

The Jer

I've got a suggestion for Resistance/Resistance 2.

Halo has a ton of different gametypes and the games have a ton of variety.
It would be nice Resistance had this to some extent (I realize that Halo also has a much larger userbase, so it likely makes it easier to select different gametypes).

But, it would be nice, perhaps, if when we selected "ranked: free-for-all" if there were a variety of different types of games.

Right now you get either conversion or deathmatch for that selection. If anything, I would like to suggest just one more variety of game. It would be the same as deathmatch now. Except instead of all weapons it would be all weapons minus laark, shotgun, 40mm. I think alot of people would really apprecciate this type of game in ranked games. The same would go for team deathmatch. It would be nice to have this appear randomly in ranked games, alongside "all weapon deathmatch" and "conversion." I'm sure there are others who would love to see "limited weapons deathmatch" show up randomly from time to time.

tanod said:

I did not know that. I guess you have a point.

tanod

when is my burrito
The Jer said:
I've got a suggestion for Resistance/Resistance 2.

Halo has a ton of different gametypes and the games have a ton of variety.
It would be nice Resistance had this to some extent (I realize that Halo also has a much larger userbase, so it likely makes it easier to select different gametypes).

But, it would be nice, perhaps, if when we selected "ranked: free-for-all" if there were a variety of different types of games.

Right now you get either conversion or deathmatch for that selection. If anything, I would like to suggest just one more variety of game. It would be the same as deathmatch now. Except instead of all weapons it would be all weapons minus laark, shotgun, 40mm. I think alot of people would really apprecciate this type of game in ranked games. The same would go for team deathmatch. It would be nice to have this appear randomly in ranked games, alongside "all weapon deathmatch" and "conversion." I'm sure there are others who would love to see "limited weapons deathmatch" show up randomly from time to time.

I like that idea. Change the weapon set up a bit.

M3Freak

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
The online forum's description is faulty, any and all multiplayer discussion (at least for Halo) has to be over there.

That's just stupid. It's completely unreasonable to expect people to separate their discussions that way.

Leave the Online forum for meet ups, but the Gaming foum for discussing gaming. If we're discussing online play in the Gaming forum, so be it.

I call Nazi admins if they decide we can't even mention online play in the Gaming forum. Screw that shit, man.

AdmiralViscen said:

Umm, I really hope you're wrong. And where would one place a discussion that involved both online and sp topics?

Angelcurio

tanod said:
I bought the map pack last week, and to be honest, i dont really care if they make them free.

Wollan

ED said:
Looks like Resistance is getting a healthy push this year

noticed today in both PSM and GI that they are running multiple page ads for the game. Some pretty cool ads at that. One is a boy holding a puppy, but the boy's skull aint right, has 4 eyes like the creatures and the other was a girl jumping rope, but her face is almost all teeth. Looks like Sony wants to make sure new PS3 owners know about the game.
Got this from the IGN boards.

Anyone have these mags and a scanner?

ChryZ

LOL, I got a mention in the latest cagcast caused by little Resistance defense force rant (feedback to their previous podcast) on their forum .

Now I can add another misread of my nick to the collection: "cries" ... crazy, cherries, cries

tanod

when is my burrito
ChryZ said:
LOL, I got a mention in the latest cagcast caused by little Resistance defense force rant (feedback to their previous podcast) on their forum .

Now I can add another misread of my nick to the collection: "cries" ... crazy, cherries, cries

So how do you pronounce it? I always thought it was "Chris."

jjasper

Wollan said:

I saw the GI one, I was pretty surprised. The GI one has one full page of the girl doing the jump rope with Chimerian teeth then you turn the page and it is the typical Sony ad with more ad (it has pics and quotes) and the white bar on the right.

tak

M3Freak said:
I call Nazi admins if they decide we can't even mention online play in the Gaming forum. Screw that shit, man.
You cannot, that is the way it's being done in the Halo 3 thread.

M3Freak

Banned
Wollan said:
Seems like Amazon.co.uk is sold out of Resistance. Shipping 4-6 weeks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FNA30Y/

Game rocks, man. It truly rocks. I'm nearing one year of non-stop online play, and I'm not anywhere near bored with it.

BTW, we got Camborne and Westermorland last night. We played the 16 player maps even though there were only 10 people total playing. Still, AWESOME WOWSOME fun. Freaking Camborne OWNED. I love it. ::dances::

My hunch about Westmorland is right: the team that takes control of the high ground will most likely own the entire round. They not only get sniper rifles up there, they also have a LAARK. So, if we try to crawl up to take them out, we:

1. get picked off by snipers because they have some truly awesome hiding spots up there
2. get LAARKed up the ass
3. grenaded to high heaven

The bottom half has good weapons too, but no LAARK. :(

The best strategy is probably to have a couple of snipers to hold the guys up top at bay, and have everyone else rush up from both sides.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
ChryZ said:

Looks like you're due for an avatar update :lol

dctzki.png

Angelcurio

I don't know if i will be able to join you guys today. I mean, if the GT5P demo is coming out at the same hour as the clan night, then i will be skipping Resistance today :D

Steroyd

Why don't you wait till it's on the store b/g download it then play Resistance, PSN is going to get hammered and the dl is going to slow to a crawl.

Maggot9

Banned
Steroyd said:
Why don't you wait till it's on the store b/g download it then play Resistance, PSN is going to get hammered and the dl is going to slow to a crawl.

It won't download if you're playing online.

tanod

when is my burrito
Wollan said:

I have PSM. I can maybe post scans of the avertisements later if anybody really wants to see them.

Top Bottom