• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

oo Kosma oo said:
Should I bring an apple for Bob or what?

I'll check out the other thread now.
I can only be bribed with beer, candy and green chili tamales.

Oh wollan can you specify, what do we discuss here then if we have to have an online thread now.

Wollan

Singleplayer, story speculation and general news will be the discussion here. If it had online co-op, this would be the thread for it (due to story material).

It concerns all games though and it's a decision by Evilore.

They locked the Halo 3 thread temporarily and made a online thread in the other forum so we're not alone. I'm sure the other forum will start to get populated as we get used to it. Big game threads there like TF2, Warhawk, Wow..etc.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
so how do you get more options for clothing in multiplayer? when do they give you new stuff, really, is what i'm asking

The Jer

They moved the Warhawk thread there as well.

Apparently, they're "serious" about starting the use the online forum.

I'm down with it, I guess. As long as people use it. They've moved the biggest, most popular games over, so that'll help.

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I can only be bribed with beer, candy and green chili tamales.

Oh wollan can you specify, what do we discuss here then if we have to have an online thread now.

We discuss how certain people who don't even fucking play Resistance online like Rainbow Six and would like Resistance 2 to have cover mechanics so it will slow the fuck down and fucking ruin the entire game.
Indifferent2.gif

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
We discuss how certain people who don't even fucking play Resistance online like Rainbow Six and would like Resistance 2 to have cover mechanics so it will slow the fuck down and fucking ruin the entire game.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy you forgot the rawr!

Just started my second campaign. I only have one new weapon so far and I love using it but I've ran out of ammo. Are the other guns that you get as good as this?

This game is amazing and to think it was a PS3 launch game. If Insomniac for Res 2 up the music to 11 add in some great friendly AI chatter (similar to Halo) and improve the flow of the game..........I shudder to think.

jjasper

yeah in here we talk about the retarded ideas thrown around in the other thread and laugh at them.

Also yesterday I got the "parting gifts" skill point:lol I was just messing around and it popped up. Pretty funny there Insomniac.

tha_con

Banned
Bailey's Dad said:
Just started my second campaign. I only have one new weapon so far and I love using it but I've ran out of ammo. Are the other guns that you get as good as this?

This game is amazing and to think it was a PS3 launch game. If Insomniac for Res 2 up the music to 11 add in some great friendly AI chatter (similar to Halo) and improve the flow of the game..........I shudder to think.

Jesus I hope they never put in horrible corny stupid ridiculous "omg that's so lawl hahaha" AI chatter in this game.

The chatter in Halo is ballsacks. Especially when you here "the demon, he's over there!!' from the enemies, and 'hey look, it's the chief! It's the spartan! Hey it's yoU!"...

I could have done without it, unless it were done better. Nice that it was present, but it would have been cool if it were done by, I don't know, anyone BUT random people, apparently.

Angelcurio

davepoobond said:
so how do you get more options for clothing in multiplayer? when do they give you new stuff, really, is what i'm asking
By getting up in rank. Also, you get a couple of exclusive costumes when you beat the game on hard and superhuman difficulty.

Angelcurio

HELP IS NEEDED. Specially from JStevenson

Hey guys, i just saw that NCSX Importers has PSN Cards for $36.50, to use in the japanese store. My question is, can i get the resistance map packs from the japanese store? and if so, would they work on my american ps3 with an american copy of the game with my us PSN account?

If that works, i would buy them right now.

tha_con said:
I hope they never put in horrible corny stupid ridiculous "omg that's so lawl hahaha" AI chatter in this game.

Yeah I understand what you mean but a little more chatter wouldn't hurt. I'm so glad that Resistance 2 isn't coming out this year as the extra year allows the fanbase to grow.

Has Resistance really sold over 2 mil worldwide?

tanod

when is my burrito
Bailey's Dad said:
Yeah I understand what you mean but a little more chatter wouldn't hurt. I'm so glad that Resistance 2 isn't coming out this year as the extra year allows the fanbase to grow.

Has Resistance really sold over 2 mil worldwide?

Yep.

Also, I'm sure that Insomniac would have an easy time "Ratcheting" the music in Res 2 up to 11. :p

A bit OT @Aeon: I just got back from a concert where I got to see Breaking Benjamin (who IIRC is one of your favorite bands). They fucking rocked the place. So awesome. Also, Three Days Grace were there. They were fucking boring as shit to watch, but not as bad as 3 Doors Down or Linkin Park, the "gold" standards for awful live rock shows.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Angelcurio said:
HELP IS NEEDED. Specially from JStevenson

Hey guys, i just saw that NCSX Importers has PSN Cards for $36.50, to use in the japanese store. My question is, can i get the resistance map packs from the japanese store? and if so, would they work on my american ps3 with an american copy of the game with my us PSN account?

If that works, i would buy them right now.

yes, it will work. you'll need a Japanese PSN account to purchase/download the maps (probably you knew that already), but once you have them installed on a ps3 they will work for all local profiles, regardless of the region of the PSN account and regardless of the disc region you have.

Wollan

I hope they release some novels dedicated to the universe. While I wouldn't call it art or anything I enjoyed the Blizzard (WarCraft/StarCraft/Diablo) and Halo books.

Kosma

Banned
VLTTP:

Ok just got a PS3 today.

Fired up Resistance.

Sweet game, graphics are waaay better then I thought they were (I bought a 360 with Gears last year when it came out) , I always thought it looked like COD2 on screens, but it looks much better. Gameplay is pretty nice too, as well as the story.

I'm liking it way more then I thought.

Now I need to get a mic and get online.

Firewire

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
VLTTP:

Ok just got a PS3 today.

Fired up Resistance.

Sweet game, graphics are waaay better then I thought they were (I bought a 360 with Gears last year when it came out) , I always thought it looked like COD2 on screens, but it looks much better. Gameplay is pretty nice too, as well as the story.

Congrats!

Steroyd said:
I'm going to need to play more try and unlock the Superhuman difficulty, I've gone so rusty on the SP.

SP just requires a lot more strategy and smart weapon choices, especially for Superhuman. All those skills you sharpened up in multiplayer will certainly help though. Also, the Backlash Grenades and Reapers are your friends, use them well. I love the Dragon as well, especially against the Leapers/Rollers. Make your own choke points by setting up a wall of flames using the secondary fire, and mow them down...

Did you collect all the intel yet? I'd do that first before hopping into Superhuman. I thought I'd search for the leftovers while I did my Superhuman run and a bunch of the guys in the Clan LOLed at me when I told them I was having a hard time. I went back and got the intel I was missing on Normal Mode and was fine.

oo Kosma oo said:
VLTTP:

Ok just got a PS3 today.

Fired up Resistance.

It's a lot different in motion, isn't it? Debris flying about, motion of characters, weapons effects, all comes together to make it a good deal more interesting than screens would suggest. How far have you gotten? It gets real nice later on.

Raist

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Sweet game, graphics are waaay better then I thought they were

Wait till you reach manchester :D

It keeps improving. Last levels are really looking GREAT.

ninjaedit: beaten by AA :(

oo Kosma oo said:

When you do make sure you head over to the online forum unless you want Evillore to ban you.

Anyway, I've popped in and out of this thread trying to catch some some story discussion but only ever found MP discussion. I'm sure the theory has been bandied around before but come on! This thread is way too big. Here's my theory though;

Obviously Hale has a resistance (very clever Insomniac) to the Chimeran virus,but he's not the only one, namely the Cloven. Obviously we can expect Hale to undergo further physical changes (Cloven helmets have four eyeholes) but without fully changing into a hybrid (human-hybrid hybrid?). I'm hoping R2 focuses on the Cloven efforts on the continent. Either that or a US invasion of Chimera controlled Europe (obvious WW2 parallels).

Again, I'm sorry for posting such an obvious theory but now that MP has it's own thread, it's a good time to start some story discussion.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
neogaf_cage_free said:
yes, it will work. you'll need a Japanese PSN account to purchase/download the maps (probably you knew that already), but once you have them installed on a ps3 they will work for all local profiles, regardless of the region of the PSN account and regardless of the disc region you have.

What he said.

JB1981

Pristine_Condition said:
SP just requires a lot more strategy and smart weapon choices, especially for Superhuman. All those skills you sharpened up in multiplayer will certainly help though. Also, the Backlash Grenades and Reapers are your friends, use them well. I love the Dragon as well, especially against the Leapers/Rollers. Make your own choke points by setting up a wall of flames using the secondary fire, and mow them down...

Did you collect all the intel yet? I'd do that first before hopping into Superhuman. I thought I'd search for the leftovers while I did my Superhuman run and a bunch of the guys in the Clan LOLed at me when I told them I was having a hard time. I went back and got the intel I was missing on Normal Mode and was fine.
Does finding all the intel unlock any cool things. I'm going back through the game on Hard and hoping to finish it on Superhuman afterward.

Also, can you stand inside a backlash grenade, basically making it a bubble shield?

tanod

when is my burrito
JB1981 said:
Does finding all the intel unlock any cool things. I'm going back through the game on Hard and hoping to finish it on Superhuman afterward.

Also, can you stand inside a backlash grenade, basically making it a bubble shield?

Yes to both.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:

Backlash grenade is more than a fucking bubble shield, it's a bubble shield that fucking sends bullets BACK at the fuckers who fucking shot at you rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

JB1981 said:

Yes you can, thats the best part about them IMO. I restarted the single player campaign yesterday on medium (thinking I would blast through it), but I'm having trouble getting past some of the early parts. I need to retrain!! To me it really starts to get good from Nottingham onward.

freethought said:
When you do make sure you head over to the online forum unless you want Evillore to ban you.

Anyway, I've popped in and out of this thread trying to catch some some story discussion but only ever found MP discussion. I'm sure the theory has been bandied around before but come on! This thread is way too big. Here's my theory though;

Obviously Hale has a resistance (very clever Insomniac) to the Chimeran virus,but he's not the only one, namely the Cloven. Obviously we can expect Hale to undergo further physical changes (Cloven helmets have four eyeholes) but without fully changing into a hybrid (human-hybrid hybrid?). I'm hoping R2 focuses on the Cloven efforts on the continent. Either that or a US invasion of Chimera controlled Europe (obvious WW2 parallels).

Again, I'm sorry for posting such an obvious theory but now that MP has it's own thread, it's a good time to start some story discussion.

Alright. Let's do this.

I'm kinda hoping that Hale has a true resistance to the Chimera effect, and doesn't go much more hybrid than he already is. I think his infection and subsequent "greater resistance" to the infection is a clever device to give him his limited self-healing, but that might be about it. But that unseen, "greater resistance" may be the most powerful and compelling thing about him, which opens up a lot of avenues...

You could be right about him changing further, and even gaining another set of eyes. After all, everyone could see the infection in his eyes, so that seems to be the first outward effect. I don't see this happening though.

I do think we'll see a lot more of an interplay between these mysterious factions like the Cloven and the US Spec Ops. troops. Those are two storylines that I can't wait to get into. We obviously don't know who to trust, if anyone. Are the Cloven friend or foe or somewhere in that grey "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" area? Or could they be seen down the road as even a bigger threat than the Chimera? (Think about how the Allies thought of Stalin's Soviet Union neer the end of WWII.) And both the British and the US appear to be hiding some stuff, even from each other. Or are they? Perhaps, as is often the case in war, the higher-ups might not telling the people on the ground about the big picture.

If I was writing the story, I'd use Hale as the football that gets passed between all these groups to tell their stories.

The story set up by Resistance: Fall of Man is wonderfully open-ended, and provides many opportunities to advance the story in many ways. I've considered a lot of options, and many different storylines. Here's just one of my fanfic/stories for Resistance 2:

Hale is in U.S. custody, where he's poked and prodded by physicians to try to see why he's got this unique Resistance. Since it's the 1950's, they won't get very far, as their scientific understanding of DNA isn't developed yet.

The Cloven are resistant to a degree, but not as much as Hale, thus, they take on more Chimeran characteristics, gaining some of more of the Chimera's strengths, but perhaps may also be more susceptible to the psychic "pull" of the Angels. This weakness keeps them somewhat disjointed internally and more nomadic rather than a true unified and organized force to be reckoned with. Obviously, whatever Cloven leadership there is would like to get ahold of Hale as well, to try and figure out how he is able to overcome the Angels' mind power.

The Brits/Euro Allies, (perhaps with the Americans,) are working on their own "Manhattan Project" weapon, or some secret to use against the Chimera/Angels. They seem to know more than they are letting on...and may have a plan up their sleeves.

In the story I cooked up in my head, the Cloven end up with something the Allies want badly, and a trade is made. Like Jack Bauer in 24 was "traded" to the Chinese, well...the Cloven want Hale.

So, since they weren't getting anywhere studying Hale anyway, and he's only one man in a global war after all, the CIA and MI5 agree to give Hale to the Cloven in exchange for whatever the Cloven have that's so important to them, and attempt to covertly track Hale's movements like they did before with the Spec. Ops.

Unfortunately, the Chimera attack the Spec Ops, and Hale finds himself alone with the Cloven, and fighting the Chimera deep within the Euro/Asian wasteland.

This is where we get to learn all about the Chimera, and finally meet their leader, the most advanced human/Chimera hybrid yet; a Cloven which has taken on the Angels' mind power enough to not only block their influence from his (or her!) troops, but is able to use that mind power to coordinate other Cloven!

Even better, the Cloven leader can use that power to tap into the mind of an Angel. This is very dangerous for the Cloven leader though, and the effect is very limited.

However, through this "mental diving" into the mind of an Angel, the Cloven leader realizes that this is a way to enter the Angels' psychic network, and find out the grand scheme for the entire Chimeran invasion!

But there's a catch, of course...

The Cloven leader must use the Allies' secret weapon, against the Angels, and Hale's own mind, as an amplifier, to create this mind bridge!

But of course, the Cloven can't be trusted by the Allies, right? After all, all the Allies know about the Cloven is that they are brutal hybrid fighters who devour their enemies.

And, as we'll find out, there are forces within the Allied leadership that want to stop this plan as well. Everything is not what it seems, and all this can be traced to the one of the secrets of Hale's own resistance.

So, what happens in my story?

-Is the Cloven leader able to tap into the Angels' mental network?

-What is the secret of the Chimeran invasion? What is their goal?

-How does all this set up Resistance 3?

???

Well, I've got all that worked out in my story too, but I'm not telling...

:D

TEH-CJ said:
Ok so this is a really stupid Q

but a hybrid is half half of a certain breed am i right ?

so the chimera are half human half chimera ?

or did there entire DNA change ?

You haven't played the game?

Humans (and maybe even other animals) are used as raw materials for Chimeran hybrids. The bodies are invaded, gathered up, and go through processing to create new hybrid types.

LJ11

Kittonwy said:
Backlash grenade is more than a fucking bubble shield, it's a bubble shield that fucking sends bullets BACK at the fuckers who fucking shot at you rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

:lol

I love the backlash grenade.

I'll just point out the thing that throws me the most about the story is
that those towers are being uncovered not build, they were already there before any of the invasion/infection happened

BobTheFork said:
I'll just point out the thing that throws me the most about the story is
that those towers are being uncovered not build, they were already there before any of the invasion/infection happened

Yep. That's a big key to the story. There's a reason for that.
And likely it is something BIGGER under there that is the reason for everything the Chimera are doing here. And they've obviously been doing this building for a LONG time!

I asked myself questions about that a lot. I have a pretty good theory what's going on, and how that leads to Resistance 3...

TEH-CJ

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
You haven't played the game?

Humans (and maybe even other animals) are used as raw materials for Chimeran hybrids. The bodies are invaded, gathered up, and go through processing to create new hybrid types.

Yea man haha finished the game over 8 times and still trying to understand the story lol

i just Didn't know for sure what a hybrid was lol

or if you would classify the chimera as half human half chimera but yea relise it was a stupid Q ha

TEH-CJ

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Yep. That's a big key to the story. There's a reason for that.
And perhaps something BIGGER under there that is the reason for everything the Chimera are doing here. And they've obviously been doing this building for a LONG time!

I asked myself questions about that a lot. I have a pretty good theory what's going on, and how that leads to Resistance 3...

I'm guessing its similar to the war of the worlds set up ?

as in the chimera have been on earth for centuries and waiting till humanity has enough population for the chimera to take advantage of....or something

TEH-CJ said:
Yea man haha finished the game over 8 times and still trying to understand the story lol

i just Didn't know for sure what a hybrid was lol

or if you would classify the chimera as half human half chimera but yea relise it was a stupid Q ha

I wouldn't.

I'd think of humans as just the raw materials. Like a more complicated version of the steel and plastic that goes into building a car... :p

TEH-CJ said:
I'm guessing its similar to the war of the worlds set up ?

as in the chimera have been on earth for centuries and waiting till humanity has enough population for the chimera to take advantage of....or something

That's not what I'm thinking. :p

My answer goes back to one of the central tenants of an invasion strategy.

I'll give you a big one-word hint: Napoleon. :p

Wollan

The level where you drive around assaulting Chimerian outposts from your car, it's the same location on the map as the (real life) oldest human fossil has been discovered in Northern Europe I believe.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
I wouldn't.

I'd think of humans as just the raw materials. Like a more complicated version of the steel and plastic that goes into building a car... :p

Ah i see.. good stuff :D

but that leads to my other Q..

wouldn't there be full breed chimera also ?

i mean they had to start off somewhere..or did the chimera actually start of as leaper bug things ( i forget the name memory blank)

TEH-CJ

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
That's not what I'm thinking. :p

My answer goes back to one of the central tenants of an invasion strategy.

I'll give you a big one-word hint: Napoleon. :p

Haha yea good theory :D

TEH-CJ said:

i mean they had to start off somewhere..or did the chimera actually start of as leaper bug things ( i forget the name memory blank)
I was thinking about that. If seemingly the chimera were people (PEOPLE!), how did they start? Intelligent virus?

TEH-CJ said:

Of course.

Now, whether we've ever actually seen one is another question... I think the name "Chimera" sort of speaks volumes here.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Of course.

Now, whether we've ever actually seen one is another question... I think the name "Chimera" sort of speaks volumes here.

Also another thing i dont know if anyone else has noticed

some chimera have army pants and resemble more of a human while some chimera dont and are just plain naked( the ones that are more darker in tone and have a nozel thing over there nose lol)

that leads me to believe that there ones that dont are full breed ?

God i love this game and its story

Top Bottom