• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

kevm3

Can someone post a few small clips of the later areas? I've heard that those are the areas in which Resistance really wows

gbovo

ScreenShot003.jpg

:lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Onix said:
(Please note that the following is based on a VERY limited viewing of GoW at a friends house on a SD TV. He will be bringing over his 360 in the near future to play on my HDTV - so I will have a better grasp of what is going on in that game).

Well, once you see some of the later levels in Gears on an HDTV, I'm fairly confident that you'll give Gears the WOW Factor award.

But like you said, the two games are very, very different...and both are very, very good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Chiggs said:
Well, once you see some of the later levels in Gears on an HDTV, I'm fairly confident that you'll give Gears the WOW Factor award.

But like you said, the two games are very, very different...and both are very, very good.
Oh yeah. I often uttered "wow" out loud while playing Gears. It's pretty incredible.

Resistance is certainly shaping up, though. I'm really starting to dig the game now and it looks fantastic. The textures are still below Gears, but the environments seem to be more complex and feature more activity (lots of things blowing around on top of hoards of enemies).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stench said:
Heh.

You know, when all of the reviews were coming out and the comparisons to Gears of War began, a lot of comments were made, stating we shouldn't do that, because "it's not fair to Resistance".

After a lenthy play session last night... I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I feel like a lot of people didn't play entirely through it. The first level and where I'm at now look so radically different.

Azrael

mentalward said:
Can anyone give me advice on getting voice chat to work in Resistance? The PS3 recognizes my headset just fine but I have yet to get it to work in multi-player.

Also, when i finish a match and exit to the dashboard my "players met" area is always empty. How am i supposed to make friend requests if it doesn't keep track of the people I have played with?

I am sure that it is my error at that point. can someone point out what i am doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. I'm not sure if it's because Sony didn't provide the tools/libraries to Insomniac (most likely IMO) or because Insomniac was rushed to get the game out at launch, and Insomniac employees are probably bound by NDAs to talk about it, but Resistance isn't very integrated with the PS3 network. Players added to the in-game friends list don't get added to the XMB friends list or vice versa, and players met in-game don't show up on the XMB players met list either. The workaround is you can go into the buddies list in Resistance, and there's a tab showing the people you've played Resistance with. You can then send them an invite for the Resistance friends list, then send that ID a second friend invite from the XMB. Hopefully better PS3 network integration can be added to Resistance with a patch later.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dark10x said:
Resistance is certainly shaping up, though. I'm really starting to dig the game now and it looks fantastic. The textures are still below Gears, but the environments seem to be more complex and feature more activity (lots of things blowing around on top of hoards of enemies).

Cool. Unfortunately, I sold my PS3, which afforded me my brand new LCD television, but I cannot wait to get my hands on Resistance sometime next year (it's the only PS3 game I didn't return--incentive for me to get the PS3 sooner rather than later).

Though, from what I saw of it at a friend's house, it seems to sacrifice overall quality for quantity(not that it's even remotely bad-looking). And in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with that philosophy. It looks like a very, very, chaotic game. Can't wait to fire it up myself.

NeXuSDK

dark10x said:

Well, the levels are incredibly small (from load point to load point) and wouldn't say there are many more enemies at once than Gears (a bit more, but not many).

The enviroments in Gears are maybe not more complex in geometry, but that's because they actually used normal-mapping in Gears. There's basically none of that in Resistance. And what about dynamic lightning and shadows? Practically none! Psyshics looks like a simple havok engine etc.

NeXuSDK said:
Well, the levels are incredibly small (from load point to load point) and wouldn't say there are many more enemies at once than Gears (a bit more, but not many).

The enviroments in Gears are maybe not more complex in geometry, but that's because they actually used normal-mapping in Gears. There's basically none of that in Resistance. And what about dynamic lightning and shadows? Practically none! Psyshics looks like a simple havok engine etc.

thats the thing though gow texture quality is excellent but geometry isnt amazing...everything seems to be so chunky

Argyle

NeXuSDK said:

Just out of curiosity...how many enemies do you see at once in Gears? I haven't played the final version yet.

Resistance has normal mapping and dynamic shadows (well, the flashlight certainly casts dynamic shadows) but the normal mapping is much more subdued. At first I, like nearly everyone else, thought it looked really meh, but now that I am most of the way through, it does get better in later levels. I think it's consistent art direction that makes it work...

...and they have the best breakable glass I have ever seen in any game to date. :)

p2535748

frAntic_Frog said:
heres a youtube video http://youtube.com/watch?v=BbT5HPrvT0M where it shows you cant use the motion sensor to perform melee attack......you have to be in enemy's face in order to use melee......is that true?

Resistance only uses the motion sensing in one case, as far as I can tell. When a creature grabs you, you shake the controller to melee them off of you. Otherwise, you use the triangle button to melee.

Orodreth

frAntic_Frog said:
heres a youtube video http://youtube.com/watch?v=BbT5HPrvT0M where it shows you cant use the motion sensor to perform melee attack......you have to be in enemy's face in order to use melee......is that true?

Melee doesnt work on objects? edit: Nevermind, answered.

And is the jump needed at all in the gameplay? just curious.

Btw, nice little touch that firing a dead quimera can break their tubes.

Orlics

I just wanted to ask about the story of the game. I know it's an FPS and all, but is there at least a concrete story that pushes the game along? How is it, for example, compared to CoD2's? Is there any character development at all?

dark10x

NeXuSDK said:

How far into the game have you played?

The levels are not really all that small (most of them, anyways). Gears features some of the best data handling I've seen, however, which allows for the streaming of new areas. That was incredible.

There most certainly are more enemies on screen in Resistance. I mean, were talking upwards of 8x the amount. There are times when you might have like 8 soliders fighting with you against a battlefield with like 20 or more Chimera. The Chimera go down much faster (thankfully). Gears enemies took a lot of shots (wasn't a huge fan of that, but became used to it), but that method would never have worked in a game like this (that would have been game ruining). Gears is up close and personal. It focuses on small battles and it does it very well.

Resistance does use normal maps, but not to the same effect (not even close). THIS is what holds back the visual IMO.

I'd say there are more dynamic lighting and shadows present in Resistance, though. I was disappointed in the fact that Gears lacks a unified lighting model after the early videos demonstrated it. The final game uses pre-baked light maps. The characters all have self-shadowing, but that's basically it. Resistance has much more in the way of dynamic shadows and lighting than I ever anticipated. All characters have self-shadowing like Gears, but the environment often does as well. When a light source is present, you'll find that all environmental objects cast real shadows (which can move). I didn't expect this at all.

Physics are fairly simple as well, but the same case exists with Gears. A friend of mine noted that, despite the big hulking dudes and giant weapons used in Gears, the environments NEVER EVER show any sign of wear. There are no physics in the world and the whole thing feels completely static.

Still, overall, I find Gears to be the more impressive game. In fact, I'd say Gears of War is THE single most impressive game I've EVER played. It proves that visual quality today is limited more by developer talent rather than actual hardware.

Still, Resistance looks nice and deserves some props too. It's the best looking console FPS I've seen yet (Gears isn't an FPS, afterall). What's so odd is that it starts out so incredibly weak. The first areas of the game really felt simplistic and unimpressive. Very disappointing. However, as others had hinted, the visuals rocket up in quality. The difference is striking.

JB1981

I just beat
Code:
Cheddar Gorge.
How far into the game am I? I keep waiting for this game to jump up to the 'very good' level of quality y'all keeping talking about and it just ain't happening. It's been a pretty stale experience up to this point, I must say. I could just drop the single player altogether right now and I wouldn't care. :(

The two main problems are that Hale is such a bland cypher, and I don't care for the narration. I hate how it breaks up the flow and momentum of the game. Just when things start to get moving, this weepy woman breaks up my game and starts talking sentimentally about past events. Just a bad narrative device.

J-Rzez

p2535748 said:
Resistance only uses the motion sensing in one case, as far as I can tell. When a creature grabs you, you shake the controller to melee them off of you. Otherwise, you use the triangle button to melee.

When in multiplayer, you tilt the controller at a 90-degree angle and it brings up your map...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just started this game last night...very good so far, I like. The first level was stupidly hard for me though, playing on hard difficulty...no health packs amd no regeneration = wtf? But it got better after that, the game is more difficult than I thought it would be. Nice use of the weapons and the game looks good at times.

dark10x

You don't like the presntation? It hasn't topped the best games in the genre (Halo and Half-Life 2), but it's well beyond most FPS titles I've played. The atmosphere is great and the gameplay is really solid. I agree that it lacks a certain something, but it's still an awesome game.

At this point, I would still say Gears is better overall, but this is up there. I'd say this is easily one of THE very best console FPS titles of all time. Only the Halo games top it for me.

Bebpo

Banned
JB1981 said:
I just beat
Code:
Cheddar Gorge.
How far into the game am I? I keep waiting for this game to jump up to the 'very good' level of quality y'all keeping talking about and it just ain't happening. It's been a pretty stale experience up to this point, I must say. I could just drop the single player altogether right now and I wouldn't care. :(

The two main problems are that Hale is such a bland cypher, and I don't care for the narration. I hate how it breaks up the flow and momentum of the game. Just when things start to get moving, this weepy woman breaks up my game and starts talking sentimentally about past events. Just a bad narrative device.

maybe 50%?

Azrael said:
You're not doing anything wrong. I'm not sure if it's because Sony didn't provide the tools/libraries to Insomniac (most likely IMO) or because Insomniac was rushed to get the game out at launch, and Insomniac employees are probably bound by NDAs to talk about it, but Resistance isn't very integrated with the PS3 network. Players added to the in-game friends list don't get added to the XMB friends list or vice versa, and players met in-game don't show up on the XMB players met list either. The workaround is you can go into the buddies list in Resistance, and there's a tab showing the people you've played Resistance with. You can then send them an invite for the Resistance friends list, then send that ID a second friend invite from the XMB. Hopefully better PS3 network integration can be added to Resistance with a patch later.

Thanks Azrael. Let's hope that over time the PS3 Network will become as easy as Xbox Live. I guess I have just been spoiled.

Add me to the clan!

So far I REALLY enjoy the single player (it does get better as you progress), but the multi I'm having some trouble with. It's really fun but I've just been joining random games so far and I can't get my headset to work properly.

So please add me to your friends list. I'd like to play with some people from here rather than random players.

My sign-in name is thundersabre. Hope to see you online!

KillJade

Banned
NeXuSDK said:

you obviously havent played one of the games because Resistance features ALOT more enemies on screen at any given time.

but anyways, the more i play the more i'm really starting to dig this game. it's really good.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ugh, ok, this will sound really bad but...

I'm in the Gorge, in the Jeep with the guy I rescued. I've made it past two gates, and now it looks like I have to jump from one broken end up a road, high up to the other side. However, no matter what, I can't make it. Am I missing something or what? It's probably something obvious, but I'm missing it. Any help?

Thanks ^^

I just passed that segment yesteday evening! Wonder how many % in teh game this is (don't tell me ;))

The road on the left is broken. No jumping there. Snake yourself up the hillside using the road to the right.

LevelNth

Banned
dark10x said:
You don't like the presntation? It hasn't topped the best games in the genre (Halo and Half-Life 2), but it's well beyond most FPS titles I've played. The atmosphere is great and the gameplay is really solid. I agree that it lacks a certain something, but it's still an awesome game.

At this point, I would still say Gears is better overall, but this is up there. I'd say this is easily one of THE very best console FPS titles of all time. Only the Halo games top it for me.
Wait til you get farther in dark. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I played a game that continuously and consistently got better and better the farther you got. I don't know if I'd say it's topped Halo presentation-wise, but it's definitely matched it IMO. And I don't just mean story and cutscenes, but atmosphere, cohesiveness in design, etc. Haven't played HL2 yet, so no comment there.

And I still think it's pretty crazy that Resistance compares so favorably to Gears in the visuals department (even eclipsing it in some respects) and it's a frickin' launch title!

Argh, I just realized I still haven't added you to my FL!!!

dark10x

PhatSaqs said:
The "Sixaxis" sucks ass for FPS. Other than that the game is pretty decent so far.
Are you serious?!? The sticks feel awesome now. I like it every bit as much as the 360 pad. The only addition I would make is rumble (which isn't a huge deal, but would be kinda nice). The sticks rule, the new triggers feel great after all, and the weight of the controller is fantastic. I never had an issue with analog placement, just the sticks themselves (which were not very good for FPS on the DS2).

Dunpeal

Banned
GOW looks way better than Resistence, some of you guys are on the smoke pipe when you say it doesn't, it waay better, and some of you guys really seem to be overrating this one when you put it amongst one of the best of all time. Launch game syndrome? shit i think so

Dahbomb

Dunpeal said:
GOW looks way better than Resistence, some of you guys are on the smoke pipe when you say it doesn't, it waay better, and some of you guys really seem to be overrating this one when you put it amongst one of the best of all time. Launch game syndrome? shit i think so
So have you played the game in its entirety? I am interested in your full impressions. If not, then I foresee a BAN coming in your future. :lol

dark10x

Dunpeal said:
I wouldn't rate it that high yet, but I question if you've actually played through it. How long did it take you to finish?

It doesn't look as good as Gears, but it still looks incredible. The first couple areas are extremely bland in comparison to what lies ahead. I'd say the game is throwing around more geometry than Gears. No question about it. It's the textures that make all the difference.

Raistlin

Dunpeal said:

So you've played through the game on a quality 720p/1080p TV?

PhatSaqs

Banned
dark10x said:
Are you serious?!? The sticks feel awesome now. I like it every bit as much as the 360 pad. The only addition I would make is rumble (which isn't a huge deal, but would be kinda nice). The sticks rule, the new triggers feel great after all, and the weight of the controller is fantastic. I never had an issue with analog placement, just the sticks themselves (which were not very good for FPS on the DS2).
All my opinion of course but I think you're off your rocker if you think it's as good for FPS as the 360 controller. It's not even close. The triggers dont feel much like triggers at all but that's not the main problem which remains the placement of the sticks for me. I've always had a problem trying to move right and look left playing FPS with the DS but that mainly has to do with the way I place my thumbs on the sticks which is by placing the middle of my thumbs over em. With the DS it results in my thumbs touching whenever I look move left and look right. It is nice and light tho which we can attribute some to the lack of motors for rumble.

Dunpeal

Banned
Dahbomb said:
So have you played the game in its entirety? I am interested in your full impressions. If not, then I foresee a BAN coming in your future. :lol

Ban? For what?

And no i didn't play the whole game, i don't have a PS3. I played a bit from a friend of mine, it was one with the sun setting, this very yellowis look and there were trenches and shit and then after it you go to this place where there's all these "bridges" all sci fi and then you go down in a elevator and fight this big Monster. And i saw him play in some very sci fi looking areas too.

Then i saw some multiplayer. And shit, its not like there's not a ton of HD videos around...

I just think there's a bit of overraction in this thread, and its that more weird when most of the ppl who really seem to be loving it well....lets say i never saw them that much interested in FPSs. Amongts the best? Shit i wouldn't say so, and the graphics? Look they are good but shit cmon....comparing it to GOw? How can i take that seriouslly?

But i'm not here to troll, i was just a bit shocked at some of the reactions, but i guess to each his own.

To onyx -> it was a 720p Display (Sharp). (But again....its not like there ain't a ton of HD movies around, and of course i wouldn't compare it if i didn't saw it in high def)

IMO, the game looks kinda like COD3 but with sci fi looks.

Y2Kev

dark10x said:

Echoed exactly.

Oh and hi aryuken, can you go troll in another thread? kthnx

Dunpeal

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Echoed exactly.

Oh and hi aryuken, can you go troll in another thread? kthnx

I guess i should've learned before, if you ain't in it to say its the best ever then don't post or you're trolling.

Whatever.

jjasper

Ok I finally got to play the game. My uncle of all people brought one to Thanksgiving (said he got it from a friend of his that got 6 ****ing systems a launch he is working on getting me one of them) I played the lone survivor stage (2 I guess). Fun game. I know most say that the graphics really crank up in the later levels but I was still impressed with them in the early stages (and yes I have played through all of gears.

I really think the bullseye is my favorite weapon of what I played with so far, as I expected. :D

Y2Kev

Dunpeal said:
I guess i should've learned before, if you ain't in it to say its the best ever then don't post or you're trolling.

Whatever.

Rawl

kittowny add me (Y2Kevbug11) to your friends list in the XMB. I will confirm when I get back to school on Saturday.

Top Bottom