• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Agent X

I finally got my shiny black box o' fun today, and along with it this great game. I've only tried single-player so far, for about an hour. It looks awesome even on my TV (using composite), although I'd imagine it would look a lot better on an HDTV. The frame rate is very smooth, and the control is responsive. I'll probably play some more single-player later tonight, and then hopefully join some of you online tomorrow.

I'm a huge fan of realistic effects of that kind, and almost willing to dismiss graphics in games if they don't pull off effects like that good enough. For example - it's very annoying to me that to this day, the 5 year old game (MGS2) has by far the best rain and underwater effects I've ever seen in a game, and even realistic looking next gen games like Oblivion are not even close to that effects quality.

Dude I could not agree with you more the tanker stage in MGS2 is still just insane looking.
And later in the game when everything is flooding and your trying to get out best water effects ever...

And I really think you guys should wait to see the snow yourself on a HD monitor its just so much more impressive when you come out of the building and are hit by it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Agent X said:
I finally got my shiny black box o' fun today, and along with it this great game. I've only tried single-player so far, for about an hour. It looks awesome even on my TV (using composite), although I'd imagine it would look a lot better on an HDTV. The frame rate is very smooth, and the control is responsive. I'll probably play some more single-player later tonight, and then hopefully join some of you online tomorrow.

I LOVE the controls, it's basically the smoothest I've experienced, aiming and moving is so easy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I finished up the game today. Spent two straight days with it. This is one of the most excellent FPS' I've ever played. It's just solid and polished from top to bottom. The controls are very smooth, the weapons pack a satisfying punch, and the gameplay is challenging and (more importantly) fun. I was surprised that the AI was as smart as it was, and there's a good variety of enemies and situations throughout. Things can get really intense. The story is pretty light, but it keeps things going nicely along (the pacing of the game was well done. I never felt like "man, when will this end?"). All topped off with graphics to die for.

Sexcellent launch game for the system. I'm going to give it a break, but I'll definitely come back and play through it again to see what goodies were unlocked.

Here's hoping for a sequel done the line.

cochese

Just beat the game. Very impressive. I loved everything about it except one thing.....I didn’t like the fact the enemy knew where you were at all times. Even if you hid from them they automatically knew where you were and start shooting. But other than that, awesome game!

BTW...the snow level has nothing on the last level. My jaw just dropped when I first saw it. WOW

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Once you have finished the game, if you play the game again dont you get access to a new set of weapons?

Those pics dont even do that snow any justice like he said you have to see it in motion.
Im tired of all the comments I have heard about this game not being a graphical tour de force. Now I think Gears is by far the best looking game I have seen this year but damn there are areas in Resistance that will make your jaw drop.

On Tuesday I will uploading some 720p and 1080p footage of some of the more amazing areas of the game including the snow level. The download size will be pretty hefty but its the only way to really see the game.

RaijinFY

BruceLeeRoy said:
Those pics dont even do that snow any justice like he said you have to see it in motion.
Im tired of all the comments I have heard about this game not being a graphical tour de force. Now I think Gears is by far the best looking game I have seen this year but damn there are areas in Resistance that will make your jaw drop.

On Tuesday I will uploading some 720p and 1080p footage of some of the more amazing areas of the game including the snow level. The download size will be pretty hefty but its the only way to really see the game.

Oh no, please, more like 360p and 720p! :D :lol I mean, my comp. cant read properly 720p files, let alone 1080p! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Good snow effects can enhance mood and immersion like nothing else. I remember gushing over Halo for what I felt was incredible snow (nighttime canyons, I forget the name of the level). The footage I've seen of Resistance makes the snow look very hostile, and that's pretty damned awesome to me.

KillJade

Banned
dark10x said:
I noticed that shining the flashlight on anything casts shadows ala Doom 3 (only soft). Very nice. That underground tunnel section was extremely cool.

Eh? I have my weapon select assigned to triangle. Are you sure you're doing it right?

well since i was able to switch everything else, i believe so. i go to switch it and it makes this sound and does nothing. meh. the setup i have now works fine:)

Gahiggidy said:
Meh.

Animal Crossing did that exact same effect back in '02.
That ain't nothing, kid.

Wait until you try this bad boy!

mini-frostbite.gif

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i see the snow ...

the last few parts have been absolutely stunning :)

will post pics tonight i guess.

here's a shot of the snow on the ground, which also looks pretty spectacular, especially with the cold mist rising of it...

ZOMG it looks real

Azrael

Don't know if everyone knows this or not, but if you register at myresistance.net and link your account to your PS3 username, you can unlock Cloven skins and accessories for multiplayer.

I really loving campaign mode and online (online has been a lesson in humility and that I spent far too much time on PC gaming).
My only small gripe (which will be fixed before long) is the lack of ranked games.
It seems every time I try to do a ranked I end up on a 3 on 3 or something.

You can go to myresistance.net and bind your account there so you can see your stats and whatnot and also get some goodies unlocked.
The problem is that the site is in beta and still having some issues.

Feindflug

WOW! the screens DCharlie posted look awesome! And the impressions from the campaign & online sound really great! I can't wait to play this game...in fact I'll have to wait till March. :)

jjasper said:
:lol after playing yesterday I was pretty tempted to go out an buy it just to show my support for the game, but then decided that to either A) wait for some kind of price drop or discount or B) wait till I had the system

It'd be funny to see more Resistance games sold than PS3 available. But it won't happen.
Resistance is the only game I've ever bought for myself without actually owning the system. Of course, I got my PS3 5 days after I bought the game, but I've never done something like that before.

OokieSpookie said:
My only small gripe (which will be fixed before long) is the lack of ranked games.

I agree. They need to make A LOT more ranked modes. Not that ranking up should be made a priority (sadly, most FPS games are all about ranking up these days), but only having deathmatch and conversion available in ranked games is pretty retarded, especially for a "next-gen" online FPS game. I'm sure Insomniac will add more to their online feature in the future.

Geez, I can't wait to get back to college and play Resistance again. ><

Aske

Agent X said:

I'm another soonish to be PS3 owner who'll be playing on an SD TV - great to hear some reports from a non-HD user. I thought the 360 looked stunning in 480i, so the whole "next gen leap is only HD nothing else if you play on SD you are a tard BUY AN HDTV godwtfimeantosaylolz" stuff always sounded nonsensical; but still great to hear I should be as impressed by Resistance's graphics as I was by Oblivion's.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, everyone is right on the money, the quality of this game increases so dramatically. The first areas were so simple, but the quality of these scenarios has increased greatly. This is truly a Halo quality game here.

My only complaints remains the disconnection I have with the theme. The atompshere is great, but it still doesn't have a certain "something". Halo's world, music, and design just really really appeals to me and this isn't on that same level. The game itself, though, is right up there. After seeing hoards of cloned enemies, I was surprised to see how much variety there is in the encounters. Each scenario is filled with a fantastic mix of enemies that forces you to approach them in a different way. Throw in stuff like those awesome mines and huge variations in the type of areas you are fighting in (which have an impact on gameplay), and you have something special.

Wollan

Without having played the retail product, from what I've seen (heard) so far, a problem with the game is that it lacks musical identity. Besides gameplay/features I think it's the most important element of a story based game. Insomniac really needs to create some awe-inspiring tunes for the sequel that are NOT orchestral ww2/movie themed. Be experimental and use stuff even if it isn't 'appropriate' for the time period. Slightly off topic here but one movie that actually kinda blew me away with it's soundtrack lately was 'The Inside Man'. Echoing trumpets and stuff. Besides the movie itself being great, the soundtrack just lifted the whole experience to the next level for me. I think Resistance could have benefited greatly from having a memorable and experimental soundtrack. I guess they have to balance stuff to make the game feel 'historical' but for the musical side I say screw that. Again though, I haven't played the retail game so I'm not sure if they put some crazy synthesizer pumping stuff in there but from what I've read so far the impressions on the music has seemed rather bland.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Insomniac really needs to create some awe-inspiring tunes for the sequel that are NOT orchestral ww2/movie themed. Be experimental and use stuff even if it isn't 'appropriate' for the time period.
I agree with this. The lack of a powerful score really does impact the game in a negative way. The music present isn't always bad, though. A lot of the darker, horror segments are backed by some good stuff that fits the atmosphere. Still, that's one of the things that really set Halo apart and is something they need to look at.

Another thing that bothers me are the cutscenes. They are perfectly fine, but look a bit...odd. The style and animation reminds me of TimeSplitters and Second Sight, for some reason. One route they could have taken would have been Thief-like scenes. Once again, use drawings and artwork, but of a different variety (their concept art is fantastic, so why not go that route?). I would have also preferred it is Hale had been a more interesting character. Rather than having a 3rd party narrate, a well developed Hale could have told the story (once again, similar to Garrett in Thief).

Mixing that with a massive soundtrack overall would really have helped.

Top Bottom