• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dunpeal said:
I guess i should've learned before, if you ain't in it to say its the best ever then don't post or you're trolling.

Whatever.
No, that's not true at all. However, you clearly are not approaching this with an open mind.

I think Gears of War is the best game of the year, but even still, Resistance is extremely solid and looks wonderful. They have taken very different approaches to visuals (kinda like Half-Life 2 vs Doom 3) and both have achieved great results.

It just so happens that Epic is one of the most talented studios in the world when it comes to visuals, and Gears demonstrates how strong their art team has become. Gears of War is above basically anything I've seen visually on any machine, but it certainly doesn't render other games ugly. Resistance can't hang with Gears, but it sure looks better than any other FPS on the 360. Of course, it's not even really about system power or anything, just the fact that it is the best looking console FPS we've seen yet (Gears is not an FPS, afterall).

All my opinion of course but I think you're off your rocker if you think it's as good for FPS as the 360 controller. It's not even close. The triggers dont feel much like triggers at all but that's not the main problem which remains the placement of the sticks for me. I've always had a problem trying to move right and look left playing FPS with the DS but that mainly has to do with the way I place my thumbs on the sticks which is by placing the middle of my thumbs over em. With the DS it results in my thumbs touching whenever I look move left and look right. It is nice and light tho which we can attribute some to the lack of motors for rumble.
Fair enough. As I said, the placement has never been an issue for me and I like the triggers...but I can understand how some folks would dislike those aspects.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
cochese said:
OMG...SNOW LEVEL!!!!!!!!!! :O

The snowfall in Resistance is the single most underrated effect in next gen graphics. I have no idea why you are the first person besides myself to say something about it.

JB1981

dark10x said:
I wouldn't rate it that high yet, but I question if you've actually played through it. How long did it take you to finish?

It doesn't look as good as Gears, but it still looks incredible. The first couple areas are extremely bland in comparison to what lies ahead. I'd say the game is throwing around more geometry than Gears. No question about it. It's the textures that make all the difference.

If the triggers are so fantastic how come Insomniac completely forgoed using them for primary weapon fire? Those triggers are awful. The SixAxis might be superior to the 360 pad for other types of games, but when it comes to FPS, it's not even a contest.

KillJade

Banned
JB1981 said:
If the triggers are so fantastic how come Insomniac completely forgoed using them for primary weapon fire? Those triggers are awful. The SixAxis might be superior to the 360 pad for other types of games, but when it comes to FPS, it's not even a contest.

what??? why would the triggers be used for primary fire? i'm actually confused by your logic..

Bebpo

Banned
OverHeat said:
Is it me or all the cutscenes are fmv?

Pretty sure they are, but using real-time assets. It fits right it and allows for no slowdown/framedrops ala Gears 10-15fps cutscenes...so I don't mind.

cochese

Pretty sure they are, but using real-time assets. It fits right it and allows for no slowdown/framedrops ala Gears 10-15fps cutscenes...so I don't mind.

heh....i thought they were all real time.

Ok, I finally have some time to read page 19 and on in this thread and also played Resistance for most of the day on the 22nd (when EB/GS finally got their 2nd shipment in). I didn't bring home my PS3 for Thanksgiving, so I'm going on 2 days without Resistance and I'm feeling withdrawl symptoms already. :D

I've played through the first 2 stages only, so I haven't truly experienced this game in all it's glory just yet. My friend came over and we had tons of fun. For the short time we played, it made him want to get a PS3 even more. After he left, I started up multiplayer and couldn't stop playing. I stayed up till 6:30 AM playing deathmatches when I had to wake up at 10:30 AM and drive for 8 hours that day. MP is simply too fun, beautiful, and addicting, even with the it's lack of options (compared to other amazing online FPSs). Hopefully the upcoming patches will add/fix some of the minor issues I'm having with my short time spent playing MP. I really can't wait to get back to college in 3 days to play more Resistance... both online and off.

Basically, Resistance is THE game to get for the PS3, especially if you're a FPS fan. It really is PS3's killer app. and I can't believe that such a high quality game came out as a launch title. It has got to be one of the best launch games in all of gaming history and definitey ranks amongst the top 5 FPSs of all time.

JB1981

KillJade said:
what??? why would the triggers be used for primary fire? i'm actually confused by your logic..

What is illogical about using TRIGGER buttons for primary fire? Isn't that the point of having trigger buttons, to - you know - simulate the feeling of pulling a trigger?

Anyway, I totally reworked the controller layout for this game. L2 for melee. L1 for crouch. Triangle for gun switching, and R2 for secondary fire.

HEY GUYS I FINALLY FINISHED IT AND MY GOD WHAT A EXCELLENT GAME!
I cant believe Sony has a game this strong at lineup I have got every system at launch and lets be honest they never really had anything(SSX was pretty sweet though). I have to say I agree that Gears is amazing absolutely the best looking game I have played in forever.
But....
I think Resistance is more fun and I think its multiplayer is going to really last a long time.
Meltdown and Breach are just fantastic defending your base and then seeing 2 guys come over the hill toward your base and then 8 and then 12 then 30 then 40 guys all come into your base guns blazing hedgehogs flying my GOD! Best single gaming experience I have had in a long time just giddy awesome.

And the single player just excellent.
To you guys that played it let me just ask is there anything more satisfying than the two following situations:

1.Having just a huge group of Chimera(Were talking like 10 - 18 guys) in a room with glass windows. Throwing a hedgehog / Air Fuel Grenade through the glass(Which breaks so perfect I cant even imagine how they made it) which just leaves a small hole in the glass where you threw it. And then Hearing the whir of the Air Fuel Grenade or the snap of the Hedgehog and just seeing lifeless charred or impaled Chimera flying through the glass with just shards and flames erupting behind them with their lifeless bodies coming to rest in all kinds of crazy positions on the ground with the just looks of absolute hate on their face.....

HAHAHAHAHA so awesome.

Oh and yeah the SNOW IS AMAZING..

This is one series that I think is going to be really fun to watch. I suggest anyone putting this game down just cause they hate Sony or cant stand the idea of another game eclipsing their precious Gears are really sad man cause your missing out on a great experience.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
cochese said:

Hmm, so did I. I still have a hard time believing it`s not.

Oh, I forgot to add that shooting the glass in this game and staring at it in awe is fun. >.>
I haven't gotten to the part that snows yet, but I'm sure that'll be great to just stare at for a few minutes as well...

I know I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I can't wait to see the next Resistance game. And this may be off topic, but I also can't wait to see what Zipper does with SOCOM IV.

Until I see a quote or a article that proves that true Im calling absolute BullSh!t the cutscenes look just as good as the in-game. Some of the in-game looks even better.

thetrin

Crackerman16 said:
I haven't gotten to the part that snows yet, but I'm sure that'll be great to just stare at for a few minutes as well...

I almost died a few times, because I was too enamored by the snow. :|

thetrin

Btw, anyone not up to London that wants to check out what the snow looks like: The title screen has random sections of the game in the background. Keep going to the menu and back to the title screen until you get the snowy section. That is what the level looks like.

Hey Ted, whoever coded the snow: give them a corner office with a nice view.

Kittonwy

Banned
Just made it out of the
****** canary
, I can't believe how utterly smooth the controls are, both movement and aiming are unbelievable. Gonna watch some ricky bobby now.
Indifferent2.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BruceLeeRoy said:
HEY GUYS I FINALLY FINISHED IT AND MY GOD WHAT A EXCELLENT GAME!
I cant believe Sony has a game this strong at lineup I have got every system at launch and lets be honest they never really had anything(SSX was pretty sweet though). I have to say I agree that Gears is amazing absolutely the best looking game I have played in forever.
But....
I think Resistance is more fun and I think its multiplayer is going to really last a long time.
Meltdown and Breach are just fantastic defending your base and then seeing 2 guys come over the hill toward your base and then 8 and then 12 then 30 then 40 guys all come into your base guns blazing hedgehogs flying my GOD! Best single gaming experience I have had in a long time just giddy awesome.

And the single player just excellent.
To you guys that played it let me just ask is there anything more satisfying than the two following situations:

1.Having just a huge group of Chimera(Were talking like 10 - 18 guys) in a room with glass windows. Throwing a hedgehog / Air Fuel Grenade through the glass(Which breaks so perfect I cant even imagine how they made it) which just leaves a small hole in the glass where you threw it. And then Hearing the whir of the Air Fuel Grenade or the snap of the Hedgehog and just seeing lifeless charred or impaled Chimera flying through the glass with just shards and flames erupting behind them with their lifeless bodies coming to rest in all kinds of crazy positions on the ground with the just looks of absolute hate on their face.....

HAHAHAHAHA so awesome.

Oh and yeah the SNOW IS AMAZING..

This is one series that I think is going to be really fun to watch. I suggest anyone putting this game down just cause they hate Sony or cant stand the idea of another game eclipsing their precious Gears are really sad man cause your missing out on a great experience.

:lol

Wow, awesome.

thetrin

Y2Kevbug11 said:
:lol

Wow, awesome.

Kev, add me to your PS network buddy list. (intrinsic) I`ll add you when I get back from work tonight.

Bebpo

Banned
TheTrin said:
Hmm, so did I. I still have a hard time believing it`s not.

FMV != CG. This is FMV like the FMV in Xenosaga, it's basically a real-time cutscene but because of the extra detail (faces and such) the cutscenes would possibly run at less than 30fps and to keep the game constant they chose to record them as FMV playing out at 30fps.

The game obviously does more impressive stuff in-game than in it's cutscenes, so no one is doubting the graphical ability of the engine. Just seems more like a style choice. I mean you guys have played Gears and seen how it goes from gameplay (30fps) to cutscene (15fps) and back all the time. I think Insomniac just didn't want the odd transition.

Kittonwy said:
That's ok, my superior IQ will more than compensate for it. ~_~

hehe.

thetrin

Bebpo said:
FMV != CG.

Never said it was. I just haven`t seen any artifacting or `fmv haze` that would suggest that it`s not real time, other than the undeniable sharpness of the video.

Raistlin

TheTrin said:
Never said it was. I just haven`t seen any artifacting or `fmv haze` that would suggest that it`s not real time, other than the undeniable sharpness of the video.

The 'FMV haze' you refer to is due to poor compression. If you downloaded the Warhawk trailer from the Playstation Store, you'd see that the PS3 can easily do FMV that is indistinguishable from real-time graphics.

I'm not saying that it is FMV (I don't know), but the PS3 is more than capable of doing it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Adama said:
I also though it was real time >.>

Nah, it isn't.

BTW, any news about the patch? When will I be able to play against US dudes? And how will the patching work? Will it be automatic like Live wheras you just pop the disc and it takes care of the rest?

thetrin

Wollan said:
God of War as well had 'real time graphics' in fmw form.

But it was pretty obvious. Resistance does an excellent job of making almost impossible to tell the difference.

LevelNth

Banned
TheTrin said:
Kev, add me to your PS network buddy list. (intrinsic) I`ll add you when I get back from work tonight.
intrinsic is your tag? I thought I already added you as thetrin. Is that just for your JP account?

dark10x

JB1981 said:
*shrug*

Hey, it's my opinion and I am using them as my primary weapon fire. It just so happens that Resistance has THE best control config screen I've seen on a console. You can map your functions to anything. R2 - primary, R1 - secondary, L2 - melee, L1 - grenade. Works beautifully.

KillJade

Banned
JB1981 said:
What is illogical about using TRIGGER buttons for primary fire? Isn't that the point of having trigger buttons, to - you know - simulate the feeling of pulling a trigger?

Anyway, I totally reworked the controller layout for this game. L2 for melee. L1 for crouch. Triangle for gun switching, and R2 for secondary fire.

you're logic of why Insomniac didn't set the triggers as the defualt fire controls thus making the Sixaxis "suck" is what confuses me.

KillJade

Banned
dark10x said:
*shrug*

Hey, it's my opinion and I am using them as my primary weapon fire. It just so happens that Resistance has THE best control config screen I've seen on a console. You can map your functions to anything. R2 - primary, R1 - secondary, L2 - melee, L1 - grenade. Works beautifully.

hmm. ill give this a try.

jjasper

Wollan said:
I just ordered the game. I'll be staring at the manual until March.

:lol after playing yesterday I was pretty tempted to go out an buy it just to show my support for the game, but then decided that to either A) wait for some kind of price drop or discount or B) wait till I had the system

Also as far as the controls go, I had no problem at all with it. I think I actually prefer the sticks now to the 360 ones (mainly the right stick) because on the 360 for some reason my thumb doesn't fit in groove right and I have never preferred the placement of the left stick as my hand can hold either comfortably.

So with that it mind I really think I like the PS3 controller better than the 360.

dark10x

I noticed that shining the flashlight on anything casts shadows ala Doom 3 (only soft). Very nice. That underground tunnel section was extremely cool.

KillJade said:
hmmm...for some reason it won't let me move the "weapon select" off the shoulder buttons and down to the face buttons...
Eh? I have my weapon select assigned to triangle. Are you sure you're doing it right?

methane47

OK so I'm a college student and working... I didn't have the time to line up for the PS3... or the available money to buy it... So i'm stuck waiting until maybe early next year hopefully if i can find one... Anyways So needless to say I dont have Resistance... BUTTT

I went to a gaming center a couple days ago and got my hands on the PS3 for about 2-3 hours... (i only had that amount of cash on me for those hours) And ofcourse I picked up Resistance and played through York and Manchester and a little bit of the stage after that... And I have to say the game really impressed me so far...

First of all... NExt gen glass for the win.!!
secondly... the game's pace is great... Constantly bombarding you with war... like the scene right before you fight the first stawker... oh me oh my... what a bunch of confusion i loved it... I know it's only the first two sucky stages but i was still impressed... Playstation in my eyes has never had a "great" FPS... They always seemed to be lacking in someway or the other... So i always stuck to the essentials on PC... But Resistance Oh my god blew me away with how i totally forgot i was playing on Playstation and not computer and I was jsut immersed in the game (except for the cut scenes which kinda pull you out of the action...

A couple things: The homing gun is intially confusing as hell I had no idea how it worked ... but then i got it and was like oh wow!!..

The enemies are ReALLY SMART!!!! I may be wrong but it seems like the coordinate with each other... For instance I entered a room with 2 other exits in it.... I heard gun shots coming at me from one door so i turned and started shooting... But i didn't see anything And then All of a sudden Gun shots came at me from the other door... so i turned... again i saw nothing... I was like WTF!!! So i ran through the door initially just thinking it was one chimera playing tricks on me... But there were two alternating their shots... I was really impressed with that... Because I died the first time i entered that building... Because of the misdirection used by those chimera...

NEedless to say I left the game center itching for more resistance!!!

I'm having too much fun with multiplayer to get too deep in the single (although what I've been through so far is awesome).

I'm a Staff Sgt. now, but I'm not that great. I have quite a bit more deaths than kills, but ****in' watch out when I get my hands on a sniper rifle. :D Even though I get my ass pwned plenty in multiplayer, it's still such a blast. I even get a kick out of all the hilarious ways I can die.

My favorite multiplayer level is probably Manchester (with the church), but The Mall has given me quite a lot of exciting situations.
I've basically only been playing Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag, so I haven't gotten much of a chance to do Breach and the other ones. This game has legs, though, so I expect to be hooked on this for a long, long time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BamYouHaveAids said:
Everyone keeps talking about the snow, but not one person on all the internets has taken a picture or made a video of it? WTF?
I was thinking the same thing, but I actually don't even want to see the video. I'll let the game surprise me when I get to play it.

I'm a huge fan of realistic effects of that kind, and almost willing to dismiss graphics in games if they don't pull off effects like that good enough. For example - it's very annoying to me that to this day, the 5 year old game (MGS2) has by far the best rain and underwater effects I've ever seen in a game, and even realistic looking next gen games like Oblivion are not even close to that effects quality.

KGKK

Banned
I'm a huge fan of realistic effects of that kind, and almost willing to dismiss graphics in games if they don't pull off effects like that good enough. For example - it's very annoying to me that to this day, the 5 year old game (MGS2) has by far the best rain and underwater effects I've ever seen in a game, and even realistic looking next gen games like Oblivion are not even close to that effects quality.

Because Kojima is the king.

cochese

Everyone keeps talking about the snow, but not one person on all the internets has taken a picture or made a video of it? WTF?

I could take some pictures running of my hdtv but I think its better if you wait and see it with your own eyes when you get to that level :D

Top Bottom