• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BeeDog said:
One thing Microsoft has done with some of their exclusive games is to release game map packs for free after a while. Will you guys at Insomniac do the same? It's really frustrating to see the gaming community being segregated between owners and non-owners. Battlefield 2 is a prime example of this, all those mini-expansions somewhat killed the community.

It's sort of up to Sony. The pricing was reduced this time around ($4.99) and there is also now a bundle of the first map pack with the second one for just $7.99 (for four maps!). Which for these maps (that take a LOT of time to build, balance, test, repeat), is pretty good.

Dyno

lambchop said:
i downloaded the new maps, they are awesome ..but man ... finding it so hard to get back into resistance after playing COD4 .... the whole aim down sight of the gun thing that COD4 does is just so perfect, resistance feels arcadey in comparison.

KZ2 is doing it, i hope resistance 2 also goes the same route.

I couldn't get into a COD4 Lobby yesterday so I popped Resistance back in after a long hiatus. Props has to be given because I don't think there is a lobby out there that puts you into games faster than Resistance. Not COD4 and not Halo 3.

Overall though I think Insomniac needs to take a good look at what other companies are doing in order to make R2 fresh. The spawning is brutal and there are too many free kills given out because you spawn right in front of somebody. Headshots aside, you need to really turn somebody into hamburger in order to kill them, it took me out of the game. The iron sights aiming system is smoother, both in look and in button placement. There would be no shame in taking what really works. The mad weapon grab not only got old but these platters of teleporting weapons remind you that you are in a game rather than a battle. Also, the reward system of clothing runs weak when put up against a system of weapons and perks.

A great game overall when combined with the lengthy singleplayer campaign and I'm glad to have it as a Plan B, but some innovation is needed next time around. I have no doubt that Insomniac can do it, especially since this was their first outting of this type. Infinity have mastered this kind of game but they ain't making no Ratchet titles as well.

tanod

when is my burrito
jstevenson said:
I think she's more insinuating what happens to me if I screw up her Christmas gift... :lol

No. Sounds more like Batgirl is pulling a Yoko Ono.

JS, Are they updating the graphics engine at all in these new maps? Is that even possible? AxBridge in particular looks REALLY nice. Wall and floor textures look nice.

Angelcurio

After wanting to buy the new maps without having to go through all that japanese PSN card stuff, i just emailed sony about PSN cards on the states. Sadly, they still dont have a definitive answer.

Original Question:
Angelcurio said:
Angelcurio has sent the following comment:'
When will you make PSN cards available on the states? i have been waiting for so long to buy some games from the stores and i have been unable to do so. Also, i think that you guys have missed a lot of revenue this Christmas by not making those cards available before black friday. PS: Dont give me those automatic computer like responses. I want to hear an answer from a human being.

Official Answer:

I'm a human being, Angelcurio, but we don't have a date for the cards yet. As soon as we've got details, you'll hear about it. Thank you for being patient.
Jeff Rubenstein
SCEA Social Media Manager

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Well at least they gave you an honest answer. You should convince a friend to let you use his debit card in exchange for a free taco-bell and/or blow job.

Basch

Angelcurio said:
After wanting to buy the new maps without having to go through all that japanese PSN card stuff, i just emailed sony about PSN cards on the states. Sadly, they still dont have a definitive answer.

Original Question:

Angelcurio has sent the following comment:'
When will you make PSN cards available on the states? i have been waiting for so long to buy some games from the stores and i have been unable to do so. Also, i think that you guys have missed a lot of revenue this Christmas by not making those cards available before black friday. PS: Dont give me those automatic computer like responses. I want to hear an answer from a human being.

Official Answer:

I'm a human being, Angelcurio, but we don't have a date for the cards yet. As soon as we've got details, you'll hear about it. Thank you for being patient.
Jeff Rubenstein
SCEA Social Media Manager

Well I was going to say 'Well, there you go!' But now its just... :lol

I think its human... Why don't you touch it to make sure? :D Honestly, though, I did not expect that. That is pretty funny. He must have thought so too. :lol I'm not helping am I? Well you could just...

Kodiak said:
Well at least they gave you an honest answer. You should convince a friend to let you use his debit card in exchange for a free taco-bell and/or blow job.

??!!! What the hell?!? What is going on with this thread?!? No more jokes, this is getting way too sexual. It is starting to remind me of that part in Date Movie where the guy is repeating 'Sex sex sex sex sex sex sex!' over and over while that girl is doing all sorts of weird innuendos. :lol Stop! Now I see what you mean tanod.

Now I don't know what to recommend to you, Angelcurio. I got too distracted. :lol

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Can't you just got buy one of those pre-charged debit cards from Wal-Mart or something?

I honestly don't know, but I'd assume it works.

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:
It's sort of up to Sony. The pricing was reduced this time around ($4.99) and there is also now a bundle of the first map pack with the second one for just $7.99 (for four maps!). Which for these maps (that take a LOT of time to build, balance, test, repeat), is pretty good.

Sorry to be so harsh, but that means jack shit when we barely get to play them because so few people bought them. I'm still wondering why in the hell I shelled out for the second set of maps since they're not integrated and we're less likely to play them than even the first map pack!

And, btw, Sony made Canadians pay an extra dollar - you douche bags! Don't give me this shit about Sony Canada making decisions for the Canadian market - BULLSHIT. Sony Canada is useless - they get their marching orders from Sony USA.

Kittonwy

Banned
jstevenson said:

I got the maps recently, I hope you guys integrate them soon.
Indifferent2.gif

Angelcurio said:

Original Question:

Official Answer:

Angel: Clean out your PM folder.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
unless they're used in rank matches; I will not be purchasing any maps.

Glad you're not leaving insomniac JS, that job listing just had us worried. Bought the new maps a few days ago. I've only played maybe once in the last few weeks though, finals are next week and my new baker job is 3rd shift. Ill be grinding out a few long nights over the break.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tanod said:
5 months later...

Hah, no. Won't be nearly as long this time. It takes some from us and some from Sony since it's a server side change. We wanted to get the maps out as promised by the end of November, but the integration wasn't quite there.

I'll hopefully have an update for you soon. But I don't expect you'll be waiting too long.

Rimshot

Anyone still play this?

I just picked it up and would like to experience some coop and multiplayer.

The shop I bought it from put the wrong price on it on the website so I got it for 31 dollars instead of the 101 dollars it costs normally here in Sweden :)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Rimshot said:
Anyone still play this?

I just picked it up and would like to experience some coop and multiplayer.

The shop I bought it from put the wrong price on it on the website so I got it for 31 dollars instead of the 101 dollars it costs normally here in Sweden :)

you need an actual human being with you for the co-op experience :lol

Raist

Banned
Rimshot said:
There is no online coop? o.0

Nope. Remember, it's a launch title. Online multiplayer is awesome and super polished, with lots of stuff, so it's not really a huge missing feature after all.

Rimshot

Raist said:
Nope. Remember, it's a launch title. Online multiplayer is awesome and super polished, with lots of stuff, so it's not really a huge missing feature after all.

I thought online coop was one of the basics of game design when choosing to use coop in some way nowdays :( I mean even perfect dark zero had it, and that's the only reason I had fun with that game :)

But anyways, anybody playing the normal multiplayer and wanna teach a newb?

Aeon712

Rimshot said:
I thought online coop was one of the basics of game design when choosing to use coop in some way nowdays :( I mean even perfect dark zero had it, and that's the only reason I had fun with that game :)

But anyways, anybody playing the normal multiplayer and wanna teach a newb?
Feel free to join us tonight, we should start playing at around 9-9:30 EST. Post ya PSN if you wanna join in.

patsu

Ok... found a bug in West Morland. I jumped onto the updraft in the central structure. Instead of rising to the second floor, my head got stucked in the under-side of the second floor. I couldn't break free, so I stayed up there throughout the first round.

Was still able to grenade 1 guy going for the rocket launcher (I was facing the launcher). The same guy came back 2 more times to try to kill me. Each time, he got himself killed. I don't know why since I can't run. :D May be all he could see were my legs, while I fired at his stomach.

dralla

not resistance related per se, but

"Turns out we were lying: Resistance fans will feel right at home with UT3. The two games share the exhilarating speed (though UT3 is undeniably faster) and nonstop action that uniquely defines their multiplayer experiences. Each also has a taste for strange and ridiculous weapons with alternate-fire options that provide dozens of options for any given combat situation."

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3164735

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
dralla said:
not resistance related per se, but

"Turns out we were lying: Resistance fans will feel right at home with UT3. The two games share the exhilarating speed (though UT3 is undeniably faster) and nonstop action that uniquely defines their multiplayer experiences. Each also has a taste for strange and ridiculous weapons with alternate-fire options that provide dozens of options for any given combat situation."

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3164735

I failed to pre-order UT3 today(pre-ordered DMC4). I felt all the sudden i've been playing too Many shooters...

i know i want it, but i dunno...

Aeon712

jstevenson said:
Maaaaybe.
Don't you let me down, I'm expecting map megaton when I awake. Crap you are on the West so the morning for you is like the afternoon for me :(. I'll play Jeanne as I wait in the house for the delivery man and the update news.

The Jer

Synless said:
What do you mean by integrated maps???? Arean't they there once you buy them?????

They don't put them into rotation within ranked games right away. So, if you want to play new maps you have to join/create a custom game.

The match-made ranked games tend to much better than any of the custom games. It's also the fastest way to jump right in and start playing right away, for any game, really. And you start at the beginning of the match. And you're guaranteed to have, at least, a decent match (at least the way the game is set is decent).

Also, people make really weird custom games. one-hit-carbines, one-hit-shotties (why, why would anyone do this. ever.), infinite hedgehogs and AFGs (*cough* *cough*).

Every once in a while will someone make a decent game (default set-up, or default set-up with no laarks, 40s, tags, or shottys). And those tend to be barren. Singles is awesome, as well. And every once in a while someone makes something cool; I played one-hit-snipers on axbridge recently (saw some GAFfers in there) and that was pretty sweet. Anyways.... these good games are few and far between;custom games typically suck. Thank god for ranked games and decent match-making.

The Jer

The playground talk from a few days ago encouraged me to start playing half-life 2 again. Seriously awesome game. 3 years old and, in a lot of ways, remains untouched by games today. I'm still incredibly impressed by it. It's also encouraging to see that many games have started taking elements from HL2.

I highly recommend it. It's only $20 bucks on steam (and in retail stores (boxes ftw)). And it's also a part of a lot of packages.

Aeon712

It's 10:30am here in Philly and no news :(, goes back to trying to slay the dragon on Jeanne seriously Sutdawg wtf am I suppose to do on the random battle with the dragon, the 2 goloms, the lady and the 3 bee things. Everything is super strong and my team was wrecked :(. 2 of the party members couldn't even do any damage to anything :(.

Kittonwy

Banned
jstevenson said:
In an attempt to get things back on-topic and off of "OMGWTFBBQ JS is leaving?" (I'm not) and "How much is JS spending on Batgirl for Christmas" (Getting up at 4:15 am in Snowy Nebraska on Black Friday hurt enough).

Here's some nifty new screens from the online thread of the new maps... You should buy these.

GODDAMNIT I HAD MY EYEZ ON DAT JOB RAWR IT COULDA BEEN ME RUNNIN DAT PODCAST.
angry.gif

How long are you guys planning to keep supporting Resistance with online content? I love playing it but I'm already looking forward to Resistance 2.
Indifferent2.gif

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Kittonwy said:
GODDAMNIT I HAD MY EYEZ ON DAT JOB RAWR IT COULDA BEEN ME RUNNIN DAT PODCAST.
angry.gif

How long are you guys planning to keep supporting Resistance with online content? I love playing it but I'm already looking forward to Resistance 2.
Indifferent2.gif

Just because I'm not leaving doesn't mean that we aren't hiring a community leader....

Top Bottom